PDA

View Full Version : THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

RyoTHC
05-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Long story short, I want to donate my 6$ to an elk draw that I hold no hopes of getting aha, but what I want to know before I make my final decision is what everyone thinks the holy Grail draw is, and why!?

I don't know enough about the coast and island to know what I'm looking for, some of the locations seem like they would be fly in only..?

What about ease of access, what's the best draw to apply for ?

I also hear people talk about the holy Grail Kamloops lake sheep hunt, but never hear much agreement on the LEH elk as to what the prized draw is.

Cheers.

Talltimber1
05-23-2019, 08:40 AM
1-10 g or 1-11 a around these parts for elk. In saying that I put in somewhere with better odds.

uncledillers
05-23-2019, 08:50 AM
From what I can tell, people are interested in
(worst odds, like Kamloops) the closest hunt where its easiest to find the Animals. Well those ones seem to have the worst odds. That being said there are others that would prefer a hunt that is in a remote area where the animals will provide a challenge. So whats the holy Grail of elk hunting...depends on what you value.

RyoTHC
05-23-2019, 09:07 AM
I figured there would be alot of different opinions, but at least if I hear them I can take that info and put it towards applying for the hunt style I'm looking for at this point I know nothing beyond the zone 8 elk which I'm sure is like comparing apples to oranges.

I have no problem getting on my feet out into the bush, but at the same time I'd take a lower odds draw where I could drive to/from than one with higher odds that took me coordinating flights and such, if I were to do a fly in hunt id just go to the Yukon or Alaska for moose / grizz!

Ron.C
05-23-2019, 09:11 AM
I got the 1-04 A draw last year. It's basically a private land archery hunt "easy access". LOTS of elk and LOTS of good bulls. Good size herds, lots of rutting activity, and comfortable weather. Odds are what they are, but definitely not the highest out there.

I was on elk every day, just took time to get the right shot. Not saying it was easy, still lots of work and long days but was the best and most exciting elk hunt I've ever done.

I have a list of landowners that you can contact if you chose to put in for this hunt and are successful.

Have a look at my Van Isle Elk hunt thread from last year. Pretty much covered from mid summer scouting to harvest on end Oct.

Sharpish
05-23-2019, 09:23 AM
Stratospheric odds e.g. 500/1 = easy access, lots of animals and high probability of success.

Low odds e.g. 2/1 = extremely difficult area to access, few animals, and low probability of success.

I personally had an exceptional elk draw last year, two scouting trips, one was 2 weeks before the draw, 80+ animals, 5 wall hanger monster bulls. Bad weather, forest activity .. 2 weeks in the bush, one spike bull seen.

GAAAHH!

Now my odds are reduced so I picked the best odds one I could find. It's super good odds but for a reason. Archery only near town and a hundred no shooting zones.

BStrachan
05-23-2019, 09:41 AM
I dont know man. I live on the Island and I put in for around Campbell River. Odds are great but one can wish! I've lots of elk heards around 1-10 while hunting. If you do put in for the draw good luck!

Ajsawden
05-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Everywhere that has a draw, has elk. Everywhere that has elk, has a big one. Sometimes the big ones stand in the middle of the mainline and yell at you, some of them never leave the dark timber.

Bubbacanuck
05-23-2019, 10:23 AM
I think 1-09 or 1-10 seem to hold the highest populations but I believe any Zoe north of Campbell River should be good. Best of luck!

twoSevenO
05-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Stratospheric odds e.g. 500/1 = easy access, lots of animals and high probability of success.

Low odds e.g. 2/1 = extremely difficult area to access, few animals, and low probability of success.

I personally had an exceptional elk draw last year, two scouting trips, one was 2 weeks before the draw, 80+ animals, 5 wall hanger monster bulls. Bad weather, forest activity .. 2 weeks in the bush, one spike bull seen.

GAAAHH!

Now my odds are reduced so I picked the best odds one I could find. It's super good odds but for a reason. Archery only near town and a hundred no shooting zones.

Not entirely true. Kamloops sheep is terrible odds because of easy access, predictability of those sheep and because everyone wants a quick ram.

Pitt river and stave elk are not easy access but are still terrible odds.

Basically anywhere close to town or a major road will be bad odds because everyone wants a "local" hunt, despite the fact that access to those spots is not that easy.

VLD43
05-23-2019, 11:38 AM
I would think it would be easier from a hunting and scouting perspective to apply for the Roseys in MU2 vs MU1. Same elk same or better odds of a big bull, and no ferries to deal with. As for the island, I don't think there are any bad choices, but just be aware that some areas are behind gates on private land, and may limit access and hunting opportunities. Good Luck what ever your choice.

RyoTHC
05-23-2019, 11:40 AM
I would think it would be easier from a hunting and scouting perspective to apply for the Roseys in MU2 vs MU1. Same elk same or better odds of a big bull, and no ferries to deal with. As for the island, I don't think there are any bad choices, but just be aware that some areas are behind gates on private land, and may limit access and hunting opportunities. Good Luck what ever your choice.

Coast is a consideration as well, I'm not picky. I'm willing to travel, but if it's closer that's a bonus.

I'm just looking for thoughts and experiences with specific draws so I can utilize the information to apply for a hunt that is closest to the style I'm looking for, I'm by no means looking for the biggest bull or the easiest hunt. It's the experience I'm looking for.

Bugle M In
05-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Some of the hunts require a boat (a decent one for the big lake hunts).
And, once there, you may need some form of vehicle to travel on as the elk can be miles from
the boat dock etc.
I guess you could take mtn bikes, but again, it's a long way to travel at times and not necessarily
a quick way to get around.

No use applying for hunts that one has no proper transportation to get there. imo.

303carbine
05-23-2019, 01:32 PM
Long story short, I want to donate my 6$ to an elk draw that I hold no hopes of getting aha, but what I want to know before I make my final decision is what everyone thinks the holy Grail draw is, and why!?

I don't know enough about the coast and island to know what I'm looking for, some of the locations seem like they would be fly in only..?

What about ease of access, what's the best draw to apply for ?

I also hear people talk about the holy Grail Kamloops lake sheep hunt, but never hear much agreement on the LEH elk as to what the prized draw is.

Cheers.

The holy grail would be getting a draw anywhere................

bchunter181
05-23-2019, 06:35 PM
i want to hunt elk so bad but the regs and leh are so confusing and mostly private i dont even know where to start

marcus44
05-23-2019, 08:08 PM
With a grand total of 1 draw in 25+ years of entering Leh draws, the holy grail for me would be..... Anything!! A moose or elk draw would be awesome but I'd be happy to get drawn.

quadrakid
05-23-2019, 08:24 PM
I don,t think any one draw would be The Holy Grail.Salmon River,Memekay ,|Saunders Heber Muchalat, Vernon Camp,there are so many draws that would provide a great hunt.

quadrakid
05-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Re: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?
i want to hunt elk so bad but the regs and leh are so confusing and mostly private i dont even know where to start

I don,t understand this statement.What is confusing? And where do you get the idea that the hunts are on private land?

bchunter181
05-23-2019, 08:47 PM

I don,t understand this statement.What is confusing? And where do you get the idea that the hunts are on private land?

just take a look at the leh book 90% all private land!

bchunter181
05-23-2019, 08:49 PM

https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/ballersixty9/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.45.20%20PM_zps3izwhbpl.png (https://s876.photobucket.com/user/ballersixty9/media/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.45.20%20PM_zps3izwhbpl.png.html)
https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/ballersixty9/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.52%20PM_zpspbfizhs3.png (http://s876.photobucket.com/user/ballersixty9/media/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.52%20PM_zpspbfizhs3.png.html)

https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/ballersixty9/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.33%20PM_zpsyioqju5p.png (http://s876.photobucket.com/user/ballersixty9/media/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.33%20PM_zpsyioqju5p.png.html)

everything with a star is all private land only!

RyoTHC
05-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Hmmm. Looks like all those hunts are off the books for me.

Tbh id rather hunt coast / island for a hunt like this instead of the mainland anyways.

quadrakid
05-24-2019, 07:20 AM
We are talking about Roosevelt Elk hunts are we not? As far as i can tell there are no Rosies in the Prince George region.

.264winmag
05-24-2019, 07:49 AM
https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/ballersixty9/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.45.20%20PM_zps3izwhbpl.png (https://s876.photobucket.com/user/ballersixty9/media/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.45.20%20PM_zps3izwhbpl.png.html)
https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/ballersixty9/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.52%20PM_zpspbfizhs3.png (http://s876.photobucket.com/user/ballersixty9/media/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.52%20PM_zpspbfizhs3.png.html)

https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/ballersixty9/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.33%20PM_zpsyioqju5p.png (http://s876.photobucket.com/user/ballersixty9/media/Screen%20Shot%202019-05-23%20at%208.44.33%20PM_zpsyioqju5p.png.html)

everything with a star is all private land only!

Couldnt be further away from the holy grail of Elk tags HA

RyoTHC
05-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Couldnt be further away from the holy grail of Elk tags HA
I'll agree, as any elk draw would be nice.. if I'm going for a hail Mary it might as be *THE ONE* that appeals to me the most ^^ a Rosie is definitely preferable. I'm only 29 so I may get a draw before I can't hunt anymore if I start now !

05-24-2019, 08:04 AM

To add,,,
The ferry costs are around 4-500 dollars return with a truck and trailer.
The hunting for rosie on the main land is just as good as here.....
no I'm not trying to keep you off my island,,,, whats one more guy....
but if I was you id go 2

Ron.C
05-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Dont be deterred about the private land hunts. In my area on the island, the landowners are sick and tired of the damage the elk are doing. And the logging company I spoke to before the draw was more than happy to give me keys to gates for the period of my draw if I won a tag. Only one landowner in my leh area last year wouldnt allow hunters. But most would give access to the first LEH Hunter that contacted them.

If its truly a "holy grail" hunt be prepared.
Be smart "and serious" about what you will do if you win those tags.
Get your list of landowner contacts before the draw. Start making phone calls, or visits if you can as soon as you know you got your tag.

And as far as transport costs for a "holy grail" hunt, what's a few hundred in ferry's? Every island hunter does it every year to do their mainland GOS hunts. Ya the cost sucks but it doesn't stop most guys from going where they want to go.

05-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Ron.C
As much as I am one of those guys on the island that travels 2 times a year to the mainland towing a trailer for a holiday and a hunting trip......... Given the question.... Rosie Elk.... if I was coming from the mainland id put in for 2 Somewhere.
The hunt is identical the animal is identical the odds are identical and from what I read the success is the same as well.. id save the money on the boat and spend it on Scouting the draw.

ACB
05-24-2019, 09:51 AM
I'll agree, as any elk draw would be nice.. if I'm going for a hail Mary it might as be *THE ONE* that appeals to me the most ^^ a Rosie is definitely preferable. I'm only 29 so I may get a draw before I can't hunt anymore if I start now !
Well one is for sure, you can't win a lottery without a ticket, a buddy of mine had a draw around Gold River and two years later he had another one, you never know.

Darksith
05-24-2019, 10:06 AM
so question for the guys that live in Rosi country and/or have hunted them. When do the rut? Elk hunting without using calls isn't something I have had success with, and I really love the rush of calling animals whether its moose elk or turkey and having that interaction with them. Up north I would say Sept 15-31 is the best time to hunt elk, same with the kootenays, Is Oct 10 really a time that the elk will be talking a lot in Reg 1?

steel_ram
05-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Last week of September they are full stinky. Usually a week or two before opening. I wouldn't judge Island elk as the "Holy Grail", of elk hunting. Probably is the easiest and highest chance of success if that is your judging criteria. Personally I'd prefer a horseback into remote big country over driving logging roads and checking out the same slashes over and over again until he shows up. All in a relatively small "zone". Getting the LEH is the toughest part.

Squamch
05-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Lake cowichan area has BIG bulls, and the timber co will give you keys if you ask nicely and have proof of your draw. 1-04b

05-24-2019, 11:24 AM
I have been told I'm wrong in my opinion on hunting rosies..... had a few guys laugh at me here..... so take it for what you like...... side note I have shot a 6x6 rosie....

forget the rut. 3 Reasons. 1 the odds are usually way worse..... of course if your putting in for one of these super crappy odd hunts then sure put in for the rut.
second, the second hunt is some times a longer timeline... giving you ........ longer....
third in some areas the elk are up in the mountains, some crappy weather can drive them out.

keep in mind these animals are not hunted a lot... it is LEH and poaching.. they are not under pressure by the masses for a long time.
when you go to the good areas on the island you see elk... you go to a good deer spot on the island you don't see shit.... Where they are it is easy to see, they trash an area pretty good...

now sure you can take it as far as you like, strip down what I said and come up with reasons why I'm wrong.... That's fine. this is just "laymens terms" simplified.. and part of it is area specific...... Farm hunting in lower elevation draws is totally different from mountain hunting in Sayward..

Ron.C
05-24-2019, 11:35 AM
so question for the guys that live in Rosi country and/or have hunted them. When do the rut? Elk hunting without using calls isn't something I have had success with, and I really love the rush of calling animals whether its moose elk or turkey and having that interaction with them. Up north I would say Sept 15-31 is the best time to hunt elk, same with the kootenays, Is Oct 10 really a time that the elk will be talking a lot in Reg 1?

I carried my calls but pretty much stayed quiet and waited in ambush on trails they use or spot/stalk.
I had the luck of living 10 minutes from where I drew my tag. I still talked to regional bios and was told mid Sept-mid Oct for rut. One of the landowners I hunted told me they frequently see a secondary rut and herding of cows into Nov..

I scouted the herd and the bull I shot from mid summer up to my hunt. He was herding cows and chasing smaller bulls on labor day weekend. I had elk bugeling and sparring throughout my hunt and the only reason I got the shot at my bull on 27 Oct was because he charged across the field to run a smaller bull off that was getting to close to his girls.

Bugle M In
05-24-2019, 01:29 PM
They can start bugling in the later part of August.
By early September they are still potentially quite vocal.
I have hunted them right into the early week of October and had them bugle.

Now, if we are talking Rosie's a coveted LEH etc.
I know my friend who got a draw a couple years back did bugle and cow call.
A couple of smaller bulls did come in.
But, not really anything big and I suspect they had the cows so bugling is a bad choice and you need to be fairly close for cow calls compared to a bugle.

In the end, on their last day while driving around, they drove around a bend and there 150 yards in
front of them was the one 6pt bull they were looking for (the big 9X8 was taken by FN early on).
So, no calling required!!
Just stupid plain luck!

On top of that, we got to know a few of the locals while scouting in the summer.
So, being that the elk was dead beside the road, we got the use of a tractor to lift it straight
into the box of another locals pick up!
Talk about some nice people!

So, scouting and driving can be just as good I suppose!
But calling will always be a benefit most of the time.

Seeker
05-24-2019, 01:41 PM
To add,,,
The ferry costs are around 4-500 dollars return with a truck and trailer.
The hunting for rosie on the main land is just as good as here.....
no I'm not trying to keep you off my island,,,, whats one more guy....
but if I was you id go 2

2 years ago, it was $300 one way with truck and trailer($600 return) not to mention driving to and from the island. Well over a thousand dollars simply in transportation costs alone. I would do it again in a heartbeat. lol

Seeker
05-24-2019, 01:44 PM
There is no question in my mind what is "the holy grail"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?141246-My-quot-Red-Velvet-Moose-quot

05-24-2019, 01:55 PM
I remember that thread.... it was a good one.......
Now Remember, I said at the beginning I was not trying to keep people off the island.... And if you remember there was that member who posted a R2 hunt that got him an incredible elk..
As for yours.. please read my post #122 in your thread!

mastercaster
05-24-2019, 04:47 PM
I wonder what is the average number of years it takes to win a Rosie draw? I figure I only have another 15 years of hunting left in me. LOL

.264winmag
05-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Spent over $1000 myself on a partners region 2 Rosie hunt, himself around the same. Also had an $8k insurance claim on my old west coast fishin machine the same trip. Makes a ferry ride to the island and driving to within walking distance of a hammer west coast Rosie seem reel cheep HA

browningboy
05-24-2019, 08:57 PM
Highest odds is probably your holy grail..

Seeker
05-24-2019, 10:23 PM
I remember that thread.... it was a good one.......
Now Remember, I said at the beginning I was not trying to keep people off the island.... And if you remember there was that member who posted a R2 hunt that got him an incredible elk..
As for yours.. please read my post #122 in your thread!

Sure do and thank you. Man I love elk hunting... good luck to everyone!

boxhitch
05-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Highest odds is probably your holy grail..Have often wondered how that works out
if the odds flip flop between two or more hunts each year as everyone picks the low odd draw to enter so that permit becomes the high one next cycle

steel_ram
05-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Have often wondered how that works out
if the odds flip flop between two or more hunts each year as everyone picks the low odd draw to enter so that permit becomes the high one next cycle

. . . but what if everyone thinks that and your actually better of picking last years "low odds", hunt? Best just to pick the draw you want. Odds are tough regardless. If it's your turn to be lucky, then it just is.

Ron.C
05-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Here's the last 10 years odds for the Island 1-04A Roosevelt draw I won last year. When I appled for the hunt, the LEH regs posted
2018-2019 odds of 18.3:1 . This years LEH show draw results odds form my tag were 50.1:1 . I've won 9 LEH tags since 2005. I don't think there is any scheme that helps when it comes to odds any higher then 2:1. Even then, I missed out on drawing a goat one year when the odds were 1.2:1. Its's a crap shoot, but I'll keep playing

2010-2011 89.0:1

2011-2012 73.0:1
2012-2013 59.0:1
2013-2014 39.5:1
2014-2015 35.5:1

2015-2016 36.5:1
2016-2017 32.4:1
2017-2018 57.0:1
2018-2019 18.3:1
2019-2020 50:1:1

RyoTHC
05-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Here's the last 10 years odds for the Island 1-04A Roosevelt draw I won last year. When I appled for the hunt, the LEH regs posted
2018-2019 odds of 18.3:1 . This years LEH show draw results odds form my tag were 50.1:1 . I've won 9 LEH tags since 2005. I don't think there is any scheme that helps when it comes to odds any higher then 2:1. Even then, I missed out on drawing a goat one year when the odds were 1.2:1. Its's a crap shoot, but I'll keep playing

2010-2011 89.0:1

2011-2012 73.0:1
2012-2013 59.0:1
2013-2014 39.5:1
2014-2015 35.5:1

2015-2016 36.5:1
2016-2017 32.4:1
2017-2018 57.0:1
2018-2019 18.3:1
2019-2020 50:1:1

Interesting information there. I may be overlooking it but where can I find that info for each draw ? Or do you just have the regulations for the past 9 years ?

Ron.C
05-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Interesting information there. I may be overlooking it but where can I find that info for each draw ? Or do you just have the regulations for the past 9 years ?

Yep, I save an electronic copy of the LEH each year. PM me an email address and I'll send them to ya. May help you figure out what "your" holy grail is

Arctic Lake
05-26-2019, 09:34 PM
Last week of September they are full stinky. Usually a week or two before opening. I wouldn't judge Island elk as the "Holy Grail", of elk hunting. Probably is the easiest and highest chance of success if that is your judging criteria. Personally I'd prefer a horseback into remote big country over driving logging roads and checking out the same slashes over and over again until he shows up. All in a relatively small "zone". Getting the LEH is the toughest part.

Could you explain this stinky a bit more . I have taken fair size bull moose during the rut that were not stinking at all. So are you saying witheseelk draws you should hunt them post rut . Are they not played out and run down . I know nothing about elk hunting
Thanks
Arctic Lake

quadrakid
05-27-2019, 04:44 PM
If you shoot a herd bull just after the rut when many of these draws are then there is a very good chance he will be run down and not the best eating,of course you will be looking at that rack for many years after the meat is long gone.

Personally as i have aged the need for that huge rack is diminished. I know if i get a Rosie draw i will take the first bull i see as long as he is not a spike. Heresy to some but it does not have to be a trophy hunt,nothing wrong with just getting some good eats.

RyoTHC
05-27-2019, 06:38 PM
If you shoot a herd bull just after the rut when many of these draws are then there is a very good chance he will be run down and not the best eating,of course you will be looking at that rack for many years after the meat is long gone.

Personally as i have aged the need for that huge rack is diminished. I know if i get a Rosie draw i will take the first bull i see as long as he is not a spike. Heresy to some but it does not have to be a trophy hunt,nothing wrong with just getting some good eats.

I completely agree, what is give to get two years of elk in the freezer. Mmm. Mmm. Mmmmmm! I'll just go shed hunt a big rack if I need to haha.

I'm running out of time to decide... Eeeny miny Moe?

Ron.C
05-27-2019, 07:02 PM
you're right RyoTHC, hard to beat a nice 2-3 year old cow elk on the table.

But this makes me smile everyday. :twisted:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/euro21.jpg

RyoTHC
05-27-2019, 07:19 PM
you're right RyoTHC, hard to beat a nice 2-3 year old cow elk on the table.

But this makes me smile everyday. :twisted:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/euro21.jpg

Why did you have to do that !? Now I'll be even more salty when I don't get a draw lol

05-28-2019, 08:54 AM

with every other animal I would agree with you..... Not the "heard bull being not as good as a small bull" but the if you get a draw shoot the medium bull...... FOR ME..... Rosie is the only "Trophy hunt" .. I shoot medium stuff all the time for meat. But them elk is 100% biggest bull I can find. If I ever get so lucky again I will not shoot anything smaller than a 315" 6X6 unless I'm packed up and driving home on the last day...

We all have different animals we would like to see on the wall... for me its them...

IronNoggin
05-28-2019, 12:31 PM
... We all have different animals we would like to see on the wall... for me its them...

I'm with ya Buddy.
With 29 elk under my belt at this stage, I really want number 30 to be a HAMMER!
And I would absolutely LOVE it were that to be an Island Rosie! :wink:

Seen many a Gagger over the years here, but as we all know, getting the tag seems like an exercise in futility most of the time.
Nonetheless, I already put into the zone I would like. Sharp sticks of course.
And if I do manage to draw, I will be there a week early and right to the last possible second if that what it takes...

Cheers,
Nog

Arctic Lake
06-05-2019, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the reply !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Sorry have really not looked into an LEH draw for elk but it is very appealing ! Are all the elk draws in region 1 and 2 archery only or is there a hunt to use a firearm . I'm not a bow man .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

twoSevenO
06-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Sorry have really not looked into an LEH draw for elk but it is very appealing ! Are all the elk draws in region 1 and 2 archery only or is there a hunt to use a firearm . I'm not a bow man .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Not sure about reg 1 but all reg 2 mainland elk can be hunted with a rifle. They're far enough out of city limits. Stave, pitt, indian arm, squamish etc.

Sunshine coast elk might be bow only as well.

Ron.C
06-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Yes, there are Reg 1 LEH rifle elk hunts

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
06-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Firstly, going to be differentiating between Elk Hunt and Draw. Hunt, for me, is Rocky Mountain Elk. Hike or horse with camping. Draw is 4:20 antlerless. Odds, thinking it's about 1:111 if I recall... Gauranteed great meat supply!

06-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Arctic Lake,

There is only a few Bow only Zones in R1 By far the Majority is Rifle.... But Pay attention...... The Odds usually tell you. If the odds are great there is either an access issue or its a less than desired for other reasons.... I like to enter draws with odds around 70-80:1

Arctic Lake
06-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your replies fellas ! Always helpful members on here !
Arctic Lake

RyoTHC
06-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Tossed my 6$ Rosie donation in today. Two of the worst odds draws... I really don't WANT to have to take a month of work but my rubber arm can be twisted with one of those tags...

06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
where did you put in?

Ron.C
06-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Tossed my 6$ Rosie donation in today. Two of the worst odds draws... I really don't WANT to have to take a month of work but my rubber arm can be twisted with one of those tags...

Good plan.

I live 10 minutes for where I drew my tag. Had the luxury of being able to scout daily for a couple months before the hunt. Still took me 17 days to connect.

wideopenthrottle
06-06-2019, 12:10 PM
i promised not to tell anyone where i was told to put in...but i will say it is for roosies and not on the island...i helped a buddy tear down camp and pack it home after his month long accumulation of stuff....i think he went there every weekend with a full load of stuff so he needed help getting it all out of the bush towards the end....it was a tough tough hunt...it rain/sleeted the whole time i was there ...a few BT deer were taken while we were there but he didnt get his elk until after i was gone..

twoSevenO
06-06-2019, 01:23 PM
i promised not to tell anyone where i was told to put in...but i will say it is for roosies and not on the island...i helped a buddy tear down camp and pack it home after his month long accumulation of stuff....i think he went there every weekend with a full load of stuff so he needed help getting it all out of the bush towards the end....it was a tough tough hunt...it rain/sleeted the whole time i was there ...a few BT deer were taken while we were there but he didnt get his elk until after i was gone..

Never had the camp raided and vandalized or robbed by losers?

Seems they troll everywhere and always these days. I remeber hunter47s camp getting basically claimed by idiots and refusing to get out once he showed up to his own camp.

06-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Sounds like Wideopens buddy was way back....... And I am positive Waynes problem was people mad at him. lots of locals didn't like how long he was there for and how much he helped other people....

twoSevenO
06-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Youd be surprised how far in peoples "cabins" or camps have been vandalized or robbed.

Used ATVs have become very affordable and any Yahoo can afford one to hit the trails.

quadrakid
06-07-2019, 06:21 AM
What does Waynes camp problems in the Kootenays have to do with rosie hunting on vancouver island?

06-07-2019, 07:47 AM
nothing......... but on that thought maybe the thread should get closed because the OP has already put in his draw so everything past post #61 is irrelevant anyhow.....

MichelD
06-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Any Roosevelt elk draw is hunting bonus in your life. I had a draw in 1-13A and got a bull and about 10 years later a successful cow draw mid-Island. Had another cow draw two years ago in a "Sure-thing" area and never saw one in a week.

Participated in a buddy's cow draw hunt in Gold River once too. Boy is that meat good!

wideopenthrottle
06-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Never had the camp raided and vandalized or robbed by losers?

Seems they troll everywhere and always these days. I remeber hunter47s camp getting basically claimed by idiots and refusing to get out once he showed up to his own camp.

the camp wasn't touched as far as I know ( about 8km back) but he did forget a 325 WSM leaning on a tree where the quad and dirt bike were stashed...we had boat problems and he couldn't get back to the spot until a couple of days later...quad and bike aok but rifle gone