PDA

View Full Version : Not allowed guns for a few weeks... bow hunting question?

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Head's up on anyone waiting for a PAL in the mail that was issued but not received yet...

Mine was approved/issued a few weeks ago (excellent turn-around time on that part of it) ... the website says to call in 2 weeks if you have not received it in the mail. It's been 2.5 so I figured I'd call just in case it got lost in the mail.

It turns out the system for printing up the licenses is having technical issues, so it's going to take a few more weeks for them to get it to me.

I was also advised that when the new license was issued, my old one became invalid, so I do not have a valid PAL for a few weeks.

Tentatively planned one last hunt with my brother this season for June 8, but technically I can only possess a gun if I am supervised. Was also told I can't transfer it (ie: have my brother pick up my rifle and bring it to me when he meets me at camp) ... only way I can bring a rifle is if my wife is able to come along which we aren't sure about yet.

I know the odds of getting checked are slim and the odds of a constable actually caring are slim to none, but I keep it squeaky clean when it comes to guns. I might be bow hunting LOL

My bow is set around 47lbs with a 26.5" draw. I'm not really interested in taking another bear this year but if I get the itch, will my setup work for a 250-300lb bear? (I think that's the biggest I'd run into). Shots would be limited to 30 yards.

Maybe I'll find out if bear spray works LOL, though there's a slight chance my brother might have a shotgun that meets legal specs to carry around while hunting.

BriarPatch
05-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Had a similar issue & was told printer had broken down kept calling every 10 days took about 5 weeks after approval to receive PAL in mail.

Danny_29
05-21-2019, 03:36 PM
47 is definitely light but would work for sure.

boxhitch
05-21-2019, 03:55 PM
"Was also told I can't transfer it (ie: have my brother pick up my rifle and bring it to me when he meets me at camp) ....."
whaaattt ?? Its non-restricted, just like an axe. Your bro has a PAL?
Have never been asked for a PAL in the field

Bugle M In
05-21-2019, 03:57 PM
As long as you go with someone who has a valid one I wouldn't worry about it.
I know a CO or 2 and when they have asked for my tags etc, I also offer up my PAL for them
and they just say "don't need to see that".

Even with a speeding ticket my buddy got and the 3 of us all with rifles (in cases) last year on
the way up, the rcmp officer never asked to see them.
Although I would say they, the rcmp would be more interested to see it.

Just my experiences to date.

whitlers
05-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Has your current PAL expired? If not how can they say it is invalid because they issued you a new one but you haven't recieved it? F that. If the date on your current PAL is still good I wouldn't worry. That's bullshit.

butcher
05-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Straight arrows and sharp broad heads and you are good to go!

rifles are for sissies.

limit time
05-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Has your current PAL expired? If not how can they say it is invalid because they issued you a new one but you haven't recieved it? F that. If the date on your current PAL is still good I wouldn't worry. That's bullshit.
You need the plastic in order to use your guns. You can keep the guns because its been approved ... That’s muh government for ya...

Its non restricted so he ( your friend) can use it (your gun) all he wants, just say it’s his (even though you don’t need to )... and you can use it just like a youth would ...

The word on the street and Gunnutz, is they aren’t printing cards because they are going to ban a bunch of guns. Turdo is set to announce it at some womans convention with the NZ Prime Minister.

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 04:29 PM
As long as you go with someone who has a valid one I wouldn't worry about it.
I know a CO or 2 and when they have asked for my tags etc, I also offer up my PAL for them
and they just say "don't need to see that".

Even with a speeding ticket my buddy got and the 3 of us all with rifles (in cases) last year on
the way up, the rcmp officer never asked to see them.
Although I would say they, the rcmp would be more interested to see it.

Just my experiences to date.

I have only ever been asked for mine once by a CO several years ago and RCMP working along side CO's another time.

The only potential issue I would run into is if I got pulled over on the highway on the way there if I am driving solo (and even then there is a 0.00001% chance the constable would care) If my wife can make it, we're fine.

Risk is factor is pretty much nil, even if I was transporting solo, but I don't mind working around it and taking out the bow just to be squeaky clean.

I'm having fun with the idea of being "temporarily handicapped" with the bow. Glad it sounds like my set-up will work even though it's light at 47lbs and 26.5" draw.

Montec G5 100gr fixed blade broadheads will be the pointy thing on the end.

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 04:35 PM
The word on the street and Gunnutz, is they aren’t printing cards because they are going to ban a bunch of guns. Turdo is set to announce it at some womans convention with the NZ Prime Minister.

It does seem odd they would be having a technical issue with the printing system for this long LOL. But TBH if they are going to announce a gun ban early June, I don't see a heck of a lot of point in stalling RPAL renewals and citing technical issues... they can revoke them at the press of a button anyway... plus the liberals would have to let a lot of people in on their conspiracy and there would be a lot more chatter. I do think there is a good chance they will announce some form of gun ban or another, but I don't think it is related to the printing issue.

The person I spoke to was super nice and said she put in an escalation request. She said it would be printed within 5 days and if I still haven't got it in 3 weeks to call back.

warnniklz
05-21-2019, 04:40 PM
I would just log on to the firearms renewal website where it says issued and in the mail. Screenshot that and keep your old PAL on hand. Also there is a 6 month extension period for renewal. So if your birthday was less than six months ago, you technically have a valid PAL...

I think you'd have more issues with RCMP over a CO for not having your PAL in my past experience. Only have had RCMP and gun stores ask for my PAL, never a CO.

limit time
05-21-2019, 04:41 PM
It does seem odd they would be having a technical issue with the printing system for this long LOL. But TBH if they are going to announce a gun ban early June, I don't see a heck of a lot of point in stalling RPAL renewals and citing technical issues... they can revoke them at the press of a button anyway... plus the liberals would have to let a lot of people in on their conspiracy and there would be a lot more chatter. I do think there is a good chance they will announce some form of gun ban or another, but I don't think it is related to the printing issue.

The person I spoke to was super nice and said she put in an escalation request. She said it would be printed within 5 days and if I still haven't got it in 3 weeks to call back.
You speak with the sheep not the ones in the know IMO. The new cards will have the new prohib status that Bill C71 allows for.
It’s a way to save money in printing and plastic ??

Gateholio
05-21-2019, 04:47 PM
I would just log on to the firearms renewal website where it says issued and in the mail. Screenshot that and keep your old PAL on hand. Also there is a 6 month extension period for renewal. So if your birthday was less than six months ago, you technically have a valid PAL...

I think you'd have more issues with RCMP over a CO for not having your PAL in my past experience. Only have had RCMP and gun stores ask for my PAL, never a CO.

Thats what I would do, unless your old PAL is actually expired.

Elkaddict
05-21-2019, 05:00 PM
It is just waaaayyyyy to coincidental that the government has already come out and said that the printing "problem" will extend until exactly the 7th of June. When does the Women Deliver conference scheduled for June (the same one at which JT will purportedly deliver his "sweeping gun ban")? June 6th!!! Way too coincidental. Not to be crass Caddisguy, but I think that sweet thing you were talking to was blowing sunshine up your hoop.

https://thegunblog.ca/2019/05/15/rcmp-slows-printing-gun-licences-fuelling-speculation-of-bans/?utm_source=TheGunBlog.ca&utm_campaign=2b50912d53-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_05_10_06_48_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_319a72f281-2b50912d53-69733967&mc_cid=2b50912d53&mc_eid=fb0737e1f3

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 05:04 PM
You speak with the sheep not the ones in the know IMO. The new cards will have the new prohib status that Bill C71 allows for.
It’s a way to save money in printing and plastic ??

Liberals worried about saving money :D

I guess we'll know in a couple weeks... see if there is anything announced at Women Deliver. I suspect there probably will be. I just think it's unrelated to the PAL printing issue.

Sounds like other guys who ran into the PAL printing issue / delay still ended up getting their PAL in the mail, just a bit delayed.

RackStar
05-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Just take your handgun. You’ll blend right in out there in the FV. Just bring your shiny gangster sweater.

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 05:08 PM
It is just waaaayyyyy to coincidental that the government has already come out and said that the printing "problem" will extend until exactly the 7th of June. When does the Women Deliver conference scheduled for June (the same one at which JT will purportedly deliver his "sweeping gun ban")? June 6th!!! Way too coincidental. Not to be crass Caddisguy, but I think that sweet thing you were talking to was blowing sunshine up your hoop.

https://thegunblog.ca/2019/05/15/rcmp-slows-printing-gun-licences-fuelling-speculation-of-bans/?utm_source=TheGunBlog.ca&utm_campaign=2b50912d53-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_05_10_06_48_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_319a72f281-2b50912d53-69733967&mc_cid=2b50912d53&mc_eid=fb0737e1f3

Other guys affected by the printing delays have still been getting there PAL's... just a bit late. The timing certainly sounds errie, but slowing down the printing just to save a few bucks on plastic? Or it's Mckenna trying to stop plastic pollution?

I just can't see a reason to "slow down" (but not stop) the printing that is issuing licenses that can be invalidated with the click of a button anyway.

whitlers
05-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Just take your handgun. You’ll blend right in out there in the FV. Just bring your shiny gangster sweater.

And the winner of the most educated and helpful comment is...

Elkaddict
05-21-2019, 05:22 PM
limit time alluded to the idea that the new prohib classifications may be on the new PALS. If that is the case and they can delay licensing a whole bunch of RPAL initial applicants they may just prevent a whole bunch of evil firearms from hitting the streets by denying the new applicants Prohib status because they didn't make the bell. I don't know. I'm normally not a conspiracy theorist but things smell just a bit too fishy on this one and the with the Liberals track record I wouldn't be surprised.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. Applied weeks ago, to be sent a letter weeks later asking for proof of range membership before approval, and now delayed further for printing problems. I've been asked before to provide proof of range membership prior to purchase of a restricted firearm but cannot recall the same for RPAL renewal.

Oh, and yes, when I called to inquire about the delay the clerk was very nice and "expedited" my license as well. crickets,.......

RackStar
05-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Caddis jokes aside ,
i admire your responsible mind set, and most could take a page from your book.

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 05:37 PM
limit time alluded to the idea that the new prohib classifications may be on the new PALS. If that is the case and they can delay licensing a whole bunch of RPAL initial applicants they may just prevent a whole bunch of evil firearms from hitting the streets by denying the new applicants Prohib status because they didn't make the bell. I don't know. I'm normally not a conspiracy theorist but things smell just a bit too fishy on this one and the with the Liberals track record I wouldn't be surprised.

I think if that turned out to be the case, that would turn into yet another huge scandal that would make them even look more awful and their agenda less credible. That said, they are already swirling in the toilet bowl at this point and I think the higher ups are campaigning more for future UN status than for re-election in Canada.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. Applied weeks ago, to be sent a letter weeks later asking for proof of range membership before approval, and now delayed further for printing problems. I've been asked before to provide proof of range membership prior to purchase of a restricted firearm but cannot recall the same for RPAL renewal.

The range membership thing in BC has been happening for around 5 years. I know it held up my renewal 5 years ago and they asked me for it when I called in. This year I sent an email referencing my renewal application immediately after submitting the application to preempt it. It worked very well too. My renewal was approved in less than a week. Anyway, they have definitely been doing that in BC for some years now, so that part is definitely unrelated to any BS policy they might be announcing in the next couple weeks (which is highly possible they will be trying to ram through something... that I fully agree with you on)

And I'm not saying you or limit time is wrong. I'm just telling what my gut says and full disclosure, I probably lean towards the conspiracy/suspicion side than most.

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Caddis jokes aside ,

I'm not perfect by a long shot but something like this, I just look at in and go "hey, well the system isn't perfect and will never be, but lets think about what fun we can have with the situation and various contingency plans" ... rather than get all worked up I'd rather have fun with it.

Blockcaver
05-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Your rig is adequate, just take a good broadside shot behind the shoulder, below spine and you will likely get a pass through. Double lung shot and bears don't go very far. Good luck!

limit time
05-21-2019, 06:34 PM
I think if that turned out to be the case, that would turn into yet another huge scandal that would make them even look more awful and their agenda less credible. That said, they are already swirling in the toilet bowl at this point and I think the higher ups are campaigning more for future UN status than for re-election in Canada.

The range membership thing in BC has been happening for around 5 years. I know it held up my renewal 5 years ago and they asked me for it when I called in. This year I sent an email referencing my renewal application immediately after submitting the application to preempt it. It worked very well too. My renewal was approved in less than a week. Anyway, they have definitely been doing that in BC for some years now, so that part is definitely unrelated to any BS policy they might be announcing in the next couple weeks (which is highly possible they will be trying to ram through something... that I fully agree with you on)

And I'm not saying you or limit time is wrong. I'm just telling what my gut says and full disclosure, I probably lean towards the conspiracy/suspicion side than most.

Dude , I hope to hell i’m wrong on this !!

But JT has nothing to lose. IMO He doesn’t care about the party, just cares about him.

limit time
05-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Caddis jokes aside ,

If our laws made sense, we wouldn’t need to worry .

MOOSE MILK
05-21-2019, 06:57 PM
I have taken many bears with a 45lb recurve 28"draw in the 250 -325 lb. range. White tail and a moose, yer good to go.

Liptugger
05-21-2019, 07:17 PM

The online renewal says they are having tech difficulties as well. No way do I believe this is above board.

wos
05-21-2019, 07:35 PM
My thoughts are you have met all legal requirements to possess a firearm. You have your old license. You made application for your renewal. The government dropped the ball. Carry on and safely enjoy using your firearms as you always have.

limit time
05-21-2019, 07:47 PM
My thoughts are you have met all legal requirements to possess a firearm. You have your old license. You made application for your renewal. The government dropped the ball. Carry on and safely enjoy using your firearms as you always have.

should be that way, but the RCMP would love nothing more than to make an example of a person. What the hell do they care ? They don’t pay for lawyers .

45freezer
05-21-2019, 07:53 PM
I think you'll be surprised how deadly your setup will be, just hit him where it hurts!

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 08:00 PM
should be that way, but the RCMP would love nothing more than to make an example of a person. What the hell do they care ? They don’t pay for lawyers .

Naw. There's the odd bad apple for sure, but I know so many LEO's and have had so many interactions (RCMP / FBI / VPD ... heck maybe that's why my renewal got approved so fast LOL) I can say with absolute confidence that 95% of the "blue line" on an individual level (the guys you are actually going to pull you over) align with the same political beliefs that are dominant on here. They respect gun owners, dislike Trudeau and are sick of the revolving door judicial system. It would take some serious bad luck to have a firearm seized over a technicality like this. It just gives me a good excuse to take the bow out :)

Way I see it is that they need to print 1500-2000 licenses per day. One of the two printers broke and they are doing 700-1000 at best. It's probably running some ancient OS (Windows 95? Probably reason for the lack of details LOL) and they have a contract / delivery date for a whole new system at which point they can catch up on the backlog. Until then, they are bumping priority for people that call (people who cared enough to call) and will catch up with the backlog after. From what I gather, they're really only 3-4 weeks behind after running in limp mode for 3 months. It doesn't really seem that bad.

caddisguy
05-21-2019, 08:01 PM
I think you'll be surprised how deadly your setup will be, just hit him where it hurts!

Ouch dude! I thought you're supposed to go for the vitals?

Piperdown
05-22-2019, 06:33 AM
Got mine in 4 weeks from filing, received it about 2 weeks ago (also for handguns). I would take the picture stating the delay, take your old one too. In my personal opinion i would not be going out with out a rifle for protection purposes.

45freezer
05-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Ouch dude! I thought you're supposed to go for the vitals?

You're supposed to castrate them first man, step 1 to proper meat care!

Talltimber1
05-23-2019, 08:35 AM
They have had a "broken" printer for over a month now.
There is over a month backlog now but if you call in and ask for a priority to print they will speed things up. Not sure how that works. But I did it. Mine was printed on friday a full month after being "issued".
I heard the June 4 rumour about Justine's gun ban but they are still printing licenses so who knows.

happyhunter
05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
47 is definitely light but would work for sure.

Well is it definitely light or will it work for sure?

huntinnewbie
05-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Sent my renewal for rpal in and they receieved it on March 28th. Used the online form to renew and had it back last week.

Busterpayton54
05-23-2019, 05:05 PM
If the card has not met the expiration date, I'd carry on as planned. You are approved, you have not received the new card, imo it would be valid until you have the other one in hand or it actually expires.

Otherwise are well all in contravention of the law when we possess a firearm between the date of approval and actually opening the card in the mail? That would be completly illogical.

Like if my licence expires in august and I've already sent my renewal form, maybe it's processed I don't know, maybe my card is in the mail right now. Would I be breaking the law if I went hunting eventhough I have 3 months remaining on my current card? Hells no!

whitlers
05-23-2019, 05:28 PM
If the card has not met the expiration date, I'd carry on as planned. You are approved, you have not received the new card, imo it would be valid until you have the other one in hand or it actually expires.

Otherwise are well all in contravention of the law when we possess a firearm between the date of approval and actually opening the card in the mail? That would be completly illogical.

Like if my licence expires in august and I've already sent my renewal form, maybe it's processed I don't know, maybe my card is in the mail right now. Would I be breaking the law if I went hunting eventhough I have 3 months remaining on my current card? Hells no!

That's my logic aswell. I agree 100%

sparkes3
05-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Take anyone with a valid pal
And say you gave the gun to them before your pal expired

Elkaddict
05-28-2019, 06:22 PM
LOL, How's that for timing. My PAL arrived on the exact day my old one expired. The sweet thang in the CFO's office pulled it off. I have to take it all back:oops:

caddisguy
05-28-2019, 06:58 PM
LOL, How's that for timing. My PAL arrived on the exact day my old one expired. The sweet thang in the CFO's office pulled it off. I have to take it all back:oops:

LOL that's too funny. Well good you got it and "on time" to boot. I knew they had our backs on this one. No egg on my face :) I have to go back and check when I started this thread, but she said she bumped me 5 days to printer and I'll have it in 3 weeks and I believe it... a few days late I'll blame Canada post.

ElectricDyck
05-28-2019, 08:48 PM
I'm with you, I like to run squeaky clean, good luck with the bow! More motivation for me to motivate the wife to get her pal..

caddisguy
05-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Soo... I won't "need" to go bow only.

9 days after I made the call and found out my PAL renewal was several weeks back behind in the printing queue if I hadn't called because of the printer issue... and was told they'd bump me up in the queue, would have my license printed up in 5 days and I would have it in 3 weeks... there it is in the mail. I wasn't expecting it for another couple weeks. Talk about exceeding expectations. I did tell them about my tentative hunt plans.

Maybe they follow me on HBC and sent out some urgent internal memo... "get this guy packing ASAP. this one's a liability / bear food without a rifle!". Almost want to send a bottle of wine and box of chocolates but that would probably run into some kind of screening problems LOL.

Anyway, final thought on this is there is likely still a backlog for a month or two so if you renewed and your license is expiring soon and need your PAL, give them a call for sure.

butcher
05-30-2019, 10:58 PM
I think the bottom line is actually: pick up your bow and kill a bear like a man.

LegerSmash
05-31-2019, 05:40 AM
I think the bottom line is actually: pick up your bow and kill a bear like a man.

Lol... yeah!!! Go out there and punch him to death! Oh wait, bow... ya that works 2 rofl

albravo2
06-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Printer issues huh? I just spoke to CRA regarding a refund I filed for in February 2018. When they finally got around to reviewing it, in Feb 2019, it triggered an audit that went on for an additional couple months. I finally got the notice that they wouldn't dispute my claim in May and have been waiting (and waiting) for my refund. Guess what?... When I called today she said there are "technical difficulties" processing my refund and she couldn't give a timeline for rectification.

Printer issues renewing firearms licenses and technical difficulties issuing tax refunds? If I didn't know better I'd wonder if this isn't orchestrated incompetence.

snipersights
06-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Not sure about bear but my recurve at 50 lbs with montech broadheads drills right through a deer