PDA

View Full Version : Babine Lake and area

jonz
05-17-2019, 05:50 AM
I was wondering about the trout in Babine Lake. I have heard there is a problem with worms in them. I was wondering if it's in all of them or just a percentage. And is it in the lake trout as common as in the rainbows? I was also wondering if this problem occurs in the good sized lakes around Babine like Fulton, Pinkut, Augier? Thanks for any info on this. Planning a trip out there.

BCBRAD
05-17-2019, 06:15 AM
We spend most of our recreation time in the Babine Lake area.

There is no problem with the lake trout, rainbows can have worms. A way around the worm issue (worms are in the gut) is to clean any rainbow you catch immediately when caught. This action does not give enough time for the worms to move from the gut to the meat.

Average big Lake trout go 10-12 pounds, rainbows can go over 10 pounds. Generally lakers run 5-8 pounds and rainbows, a good one, will run 3-5 pounds.

If you are there in around the 1st of August sockeye salmon can be had depending on the fish counts.

Wild one
05-17-2019, 06:24 AM
Rainbows in Babine are spaghetti fish I won’t eat them. I have not bothered to bring the boat and target Lakers but here they are ok. I only fly fish rainbows C&R for fun here averaging 2-5lbs where I fish biggest is 8lbs

Pinkut is fine rainbows are pan fry size 10-13 inch average. There is Lakers average around 4lbs but 20lbs are around. Busy spot for camping as some locals enjoy the camp ground. I only fish here when with friends I go elsewhere normally

I don’t fish Auger but know people who do for Lakers. Have not heard anything about worms or quality of rainbows. Some big lakers but it’s one of those lakes that some have it figured out others can’t catch them

Fulton lake I have not fished but hear it’s wormy

I would say there is way better options in the area for fishing.

What kind of boat do you have?

lakers or rainbows what would you rather fish?

anything else you have planned to add to the trip?

Wild one
05-17-2019, 06:32 AM
We spend most of our recreation time in the Babine Lake area.

There is no problem with the lake trout, rainbows can have worms. A way around the worm issue (worms are in the gut) is to clean any rainbow you catch immediately when caught. This action does not give enough time for the worms to move from the gut to the meat.

Average big Lake trout go 10-12 pounds, rainbows can go over 10 pounds. Generally lakers run 5-8 pounds and rainbows, a good one, will run 3-5 pounds.

If you are there in around the 1st of August sockeye salmon can be had depending on the fish counts.

Rainbows in Babine often have at least small worms in the meat where I fish. They look like pimples on the skin but not easily noticed. They are there every fish anyone has shown me saying no worms I have found them lol

I often kill an hour or two fly fishing there well cutting firewood or mid day well hunting. It’s close to home

BCBRAD
05-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Rainbows in Babine often have at least small worms in the meat where I fish. They look like pimples on the skin but not easily noticed. They are there every fish anyone has shown me saying no worms I have found them lol

I often kill an hour or two fly fishing there well cutting firewood or mid day well hunting. It’s close to home

Yes, some rainbows a riddled with worms others barely detectable, Eagles don't seem to mind the worms though.

Wild one
05-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Yes, some rainbows a riddled with worms others barely detectable, Eagles don't seem to mind the worms though.

Oh one of the little pot hole lakes nearby is way worse. The trout are covered to the point you see about a dozen worms hanging out about 1/4 inch. I can only imagine what it would be like gutting one

Myself if the lake has worms I don’t keep anything from it. Lots of options that are worm free nearby

steel_ram
05-17-2019, 07:14 AM
I don't ever recall seeing worms back in the 70's and 80's. Is this something new or did I just not notice?

Wild one
05-17-2019, 07:20 AM
I don't ever recall seeing worms back in the 70's and 80's. Is this something new or did I just not notice?

Babine has been wormy for at least 15years before then I would have to ask some long term residents

The pothole lake I mentioned only started being wormy about 10years ago. Sad because it’s one of those 100 fish a day lakes

steel_ram
05-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Babine has been wormy for at least 15years before then I would have to ask some long term residents

The pothole lake I mentioned only started being wormy about 10years ago. Sad because it’s one of those 100 fish a day lakes

We use to fish the smaller lakes above Granisle mostly, but capitalized on the rainbows that concentrated at the mouth of the Fulton when they flushed out the Sockeye carcasses. Millionaires pool on the Fulton and Rainbow Alley at the North end were world renowned.

jonz
05-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Rainbows in Babine are spaghetti fish I won’t eat them. I have not bothered to bring the boat and target Lakers but here they are ok. I only fly fish rainbows C&R for fun here averaging 2-5lbs where I fish biggest is 8lbs

Pinkut is fine rainbows are pan fry size 10-13 inch average. There is Lakers average around 4lbs but 20lbs are around. Busy spot for camping as some locals enjoy the camp ground. I only fish here when with friends I go elsewhere normally

I don’t fish Auger but know people who do for Lakers. Have not heard anything about worms or quality of rainbows. Some big lakers but it’s one of those lakes that some have it figured out others can’t catch them

Fulton lake I have not fished but hear it’s wormy

I would say there is way better options in the area for fishing.

What kind of boat do you have?

lakers or rainbows what would you rather fish?

anything else you have planned to add to the trip?

Thanks for the great info guys! I have a 16.5 foot aluminum boat with a 40 horse. I prefer rainbows usually, don’t have much experience fishing lakers. What better options would you suggest for camping and fishing in the area?

S.W.A.T.
05-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Ootsa is a good one, Francis is another, uncha, burns lake area has 100 fishable bodies of water.

Wild one
05-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Ootsa is a good one, Francis is another, uncha, burns lake area has 100 fishable bodies of water.

These are all good options and I would add Binta, Richmond and Nadina. Ootsa should be respected it can get really ugly it it blows up

Ootsa, Nadina, and Richmond hold some big rainbows 10lb+ is possible in all 3

Francis, Uncha, and binta better for Lakers can break 30lbs but still good for 1-3lbs rainbows

Like SWAT said 100+ fishable lakes so it’s also possible to pick a base lake and branch out. Tons of smaller rainbow lakes that don’t see much pressure. There are lakes that I see fish jump in but can’t find a local who even knows someone that has fished them lol

As for not having experience with Lakers throw on a BIG spoon, plug or flatfishand a 5oz trolling weight and work deep structure you will find them. A fish finder makes a huge difference so do depth charts. Even targeting rainbows you get the odd one. I laugh every time I come across someone who is in shock some big fish just plucked a 2lb rainbow of their line when fishing Uncha or Binta lol