PDA

View Full Version : How many pairs of socks?

Bustercluck
05-09-2019, 02:09 PM
I was just wondering how many pairs of socks you mountain hunters pack with you?

On multi day hikes I always bring a few pairs and wash them out, but when I was out with some friends last summer they wore the same pair of merino socks for 5 straight days. I didn稚 give their feet a sniff, but they said no problems with moist, stinky feet.

I have ave a couple pairs of icebreakers I wear pretty religiously and I知 going to see how many days I can go this summer without changing them. I知 betting I値l breakdown and change them long before the 5 day mark.

On a side note. Does anyone have a hack for wearing the same pair of underwear for 5 days? Lol

pg83
05-09-2019, 02:18 PM
2-3 pairs depending on the conditions should be adequate for 90+% of the hunts in BC.

Drillbit
05-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Deluth bucknaked underwear can be work for days on end

Rieber
05-09-2019, 02:21 PM
I was just wondering

On a side note. Does anyone have a hack for wearing the same pair of underwear for 5 days? Lol

First off you can get 4 days by spinning them from to back and then flipping them inside out and spinning them again. On day 5 you just pick the cleanest panel. :razz:

decker9
05-09-2019, 02:44 PM
2 days or 14 days, I pack 2 pairs of light smart wool socks and one pair of medium or heavy smart wool socks. Any time I stop for 15 minutes or more, I have my crocks on and the pair I’m wearing dry out quick.

jac
05-09-2019, 07:57 PM
I’m going on a 10 day backpack hunt this August. I’m going to wear one pair and pack 2 pair for spares. Seems like you can spend $5-$50 a pair. What do most of you recommend I don’t mind spending good money just want to find some high quality socks for the trip

thanks

CheesyLimper
05-09-2019, 08:37 PM
I’m going on a 10 day backpack hunt this August. I’m going to wear one pair and pack 2 pair for spares. Seems like you can spend $5-$50 a pair. What do most of you recommend I don’t mind spending good money just want to find some high quality socks for the trip

thanks
I wore smart wool for a few years, but am really starting to like darn tough. I find icebreaker's quality has gone down, but their price hasn't.

Dour
05-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Be one with nature. No shoes or socks be a man !!!!

finngun
05-09-2019, 10:50 PM
First off you can get 4 days by spinning them from to back and then flipping them inside out and spinning them again. On day 5 you just pick the cleanest panel. :razz:
After that yu can use them as toalet paper smell is gonna be like bear bites,,dont keep them around ya camp..:redface:

bigwhiteys
05-09-2019, 10:51 PM
I like to take a few extra pairs of socks as a luxury item so I usually pack 3-4 pairs... I always pack Thorlo level III hikers or trekkers they might be called now and usually brand new pairs. Nothing feels better on your feet after several miles with a loaded pack than a brand new pair of Thorlos. I have yet to find a better, thicker sock for mountain hunting. As Decker has mentioned whenever I stop for a few minutes my boots come off, usually my socks too and I let everything air out. It's always nice to soak the feet in a cold mountain creek as well.

srupp
05-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Hmmmm 3 pair of quality socks and a container of gold bond, use any opportunity to wash your feet, soak in cold stream..DRY very well removing all moisture, air boots well.
Good to go..
Steven

high and to the right
05-09-2019, 11:43 PM
When I first started hunting I was with a group of more experience outdoorsmen. I don't know what they did for socks but I do know that on the last night of our 7 day hunt, there was a ceremonial burning of underwear and socks. I made the assumption that they brought 2 of each item. One to wear for the week and then one clean set to wear for the trip home.

Jimbob
05-10-2019, 08:58 AM
One pair on my feet and one pair in the pack, same for underwear. I swap daily cleaning and drying. I may not clean them everyday but i will change them daily and at least let them dry out.

Bustercluck
05-10-2019, 09:19 AM
If it’s cold out I like to bring a warm pair to put on as a second layer inside my tent. It’s hard sleeping with cold feet

twoSevenO
05-10-2019, 09:24 AM
One pair on my feet and one pair in the pack, same for underwear. I swap daily cleaning and drying. I may not clean them everyday but i will change them daily and at least let them dry out.

X2 ... I dont even take my boots off unless I'm done for the day. Once I lace them up right i dont want to ruin that and possibly have to readjust socks and what not later.

I used to take a lot more of each but realized wearing the same stuff for a while didnt really bother me much but added extra weight and bulk for additional pairs

If you have some nasty athletes foot and gross sweaty smelly feet then It might be different but my feet dont swest too much and dont get smelly easily

Jrax
05-10-2019, 11:10 AM
I have been using first lite merino wool underwear and the merino compression socks. underwear x2 and socks x2. No issues but I do air them out and dry whenever I can. If I stop for a break and its windy and/or sunny I will remove boots and socks to air feet and socks while glassing and/or eating. I have also washed socks and underwear in creek and hung to dry.

corywilson13
05-10-2019, 03:13 PM
I have busted through all my smart wool so have been buying darn tough the last few seasons. Pricey - but hard to beat a lifetime warranty on socks...

rocksteady
05-10-2019, 04:07 PM
1 pair of cotton tube socks for wach day. 1 pair of wool over socks for every 4 days

hparrott
05-10-2019, 04:21 PM
3 pairs total. One pair of Merino icebreaker socks for during the day, one pair of thick wool socks for sleeping, and one waterproof pair.

Randy Sun waterproof socks. Worth every penny and surprisingly very comfortable while hiking. If for some reason your boots get wet, these are a life/hunt saver.

ElectricDyck
05-10-2019, 05:59 PM
2 pairs of darn tough socks.. wear crocs in the evening around the fire to keep the fancy boots from melting and dry out the socks also take them off for breaks to keep them dry...crocs are awesome! Stocked moose in crocs a few times when they came in grunting while sitting around the fire lol..I could do with one pair but the prepper in me takes 2..

slowjo
05-11-2019, 06:53 AM

so after two days of farting and rubbing your dirty ass on your undies, you flip them and wear the dirty ass part on the front? lol that's friggin gross

Rieber
05-11-2019, 07:01 AM
so after two days of farting and rubbing your dirty ass on your undies, you flip them and wear the dirty ass part on the front? lol that's friggin gross

No- I wipe my ass after using it so it's not dirty - I guess if you don't clean up after business then things get a little tricky. Hey, shit happens but I personally can use my underwear over the weekend provided there was no shrapnel. Carry a small package of non-scented Wet-ones for your final cleanup. Your 5-hole will thank you.

Bustercluck
05-11-2019, 10:13 AM
No- I wipe my ass after using it so it's not dirty - I guess if you don't clean up after business then things get a little tricky. Hey, shit happens but I personally can use my underwear over the weekend provided there was no shrapnel. Carry a small package of non-scented Wet-ones for your final cleanup. Your 5-hole will thank you.
Wet ones or baby wipes are a lifesaver

Carolbear
05-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Medium phd smartwool socks!! I wear then all the time, not just for hunting. Atmosphere just had a good sale over the long weekend. Have to be the phd ones, they have special parts that make the socks fit really good. Ive tried darn tough but they weren’t comfy like the smartwool

NMO
05-25-2019, 10:08 PM
1-3 pairs of socks depending on the hunt, but usually just 1 on feet and a backup. Wetwipes + merino underwear goes a long way.

Dour
05-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Tea tree oil on your feet can help with the stink just don’t use to much or you will smell like incense Its a natural antiseptic and also fights foot fungus and athletes foot. And reduces sweating