PDA

View Full Version : New wall tent questions

lakelander
09-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I will be trying my new canvas wall tent in 2 weeks when we go for moose hunting. Mine has a chimney in the roof so I will be using a wood stove and I wanted to know how I could use a tarp on the roof to protect it from the sparks and rain. The tarp cannnot touch the chimney so do you hang it a couple of feet above the tent or cut a hole in for the chimney.
Thanks...

Stone Sheep Steve
09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
That's the reason I prefer a wall tent with the stove pipe hole in the end wall.
Sorry, I know that wasn't much help.:roll:

SSS

TPK
09-21-2007, 02:56 PM
You make sure your stove pipe goes up a few feet past the tent roof and you don't worry about it. If you want you can put a spark arrester in the stove pipe just above the stove inside your tent, but that usually plugs up after a day or so and fills the tent with smoke and you end up tossing the thing away ....

BlacktailStalker
09-21-2007, 03:29 PM
I have my tarp cut so the hole is about 6-8" on either side of the chimney. I also got a 20 gauge piece of aluminum/tin and cut a hole the same size of the chimney to go over the tarp and wall tent to keep it from blowing up against the chimney in the wind. It also protects from any ash that may land on the tent.
I wouldnt use a spark arrester personally but thats my opinion, just straight pipe it.
I use a 4" chimney. The diameter of chimney depends a lot on the quality and construction of your stove.
remember to have the back end of your stove about a 1/2" higher than the front to create a natural draw so the air sucks to the back of the chimney, basic physics.

ruttinbuck
09-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I use a 6" pipe on my stove that finishes about a foot above the peak.The higher your chimeny is the better your fire will draft.
I have 6yrs on the tarp now and started tuck taping the burn holes last season.Took 2 pieces of light sheetmetal,high temp silicone and riveted them together sandwiching the pipehole in the tarp with 2" of clearance around the stove pipe.
I tried a spark arrestor but took it off in 3 days as it plugged with the stove burning cutback.RB

rugeer
09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I moved mine out the back