PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear 2019

porthunter
05-07-2019, 11:39 AM
It all started about 15 years ago, every May our rod and gun club does our outting in the same spot, we get between 60-70 people out for the weekend, from as young as 8 all the way up to our oldest members around 80.

Every year, the occasional couple of guys will head out for abit in search of a bear but the weekend is more about spending time together, enjoying great food, and stories around the fire til late at night.

This year I figured I'd give it a go and actually do abit of hunting. There was a ridge up about 2km above our camp I always liked heading up to to check out, there was a valley that seperated it and another ridge that since I first started hunting, always envisioned shooting a bear on. My first check turned up nothing, the second, more of the same. I went and checked out a couple areas I knew from my long history riding around the area and saw some unusually small bears, that I would say were last years cubs and every one was alone. No shooters.

Sunday morning came around and everyone was beginning to pack up and get ready to head home. I had been really wanting to get out and take some shots out past 500 yards since I finally got a load developed that is shooting just over .5moa. So I went up the hill with the friend and got my gear set up for paper at 500 yards, as the night before I was busting 6" rocks at 350.

As I laid down and prepped for the first round, my buddy told me to stop as he saw a bear on the far ridge(right where I had always envisioned one. I quickly spun around and saw that he was a decent bear and reset. He was using my geovids and they were set up different that range finders he had used in the past so he read out the first range that he picked up(630) I adjusted and squeezed one off, I saw the shot hit right above the bear. My fault I should have confirmed what number he was reading out as when using Geovids you need to wait for the second number, the corrected range, which he didnt know.

The bear ran up the hill and then stopped, I had my buddy read out again the new range "651...625 corrected". I waited about a minute for the bear to give me the shot I wanted and when he did squeezed one off, he dropped dead in his tracks and rolled about 60 yards(didnt realize how steep the hill side was). We got up celebrated and headed down the hill after packing up to get everything we would need to get from camp.

There was still 40 people waiting to have some lunch before departing from the weekend. We grabbed everything we needed, took some of the youngins and headed over to the nearest point we could get our atvs and started heading down the hill, didn't take long to find him piled up in a bunch of bush and the work began.

The shot was perfect, he had was mid step when I shot and the bullet went in right behind the shoulder and out through the second, I was able to recover the bullet and am going to see what it weighs to see how the retention was. The Berger VLD continues to impress me.

I've been working on my perfect set up(gun, scope, bullet) for about 2 years now and my shooting and confidence as well, the feeling when all the work and time pays off is like no other!

A fawn/lamb killer off the mountain and some great sausage and pepperoni to be made for the freezer.

I'm having some issues getting pictures up but will try once I get home later on.

Tim Tam Slam
05-07-2019, 01:25 PM
That’s an impressive shot, thanks for sharing! Definitely have to be confident enough before pulling a trigger at that yardage - sounds like you’ve put the time in! looking forward to the picture

Bubbacanuck
05-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Sounds like you have a hell of a setup. Congrats on a good spring freezer filler

monasheemountainman
05-07-2019, 03:17 PM
pics or didnt happen

porthunter
05-07-2019, 03:37 PM
The shot was from the ridge in the back ground(not the skyline, the one below it)

PS. Cant get this picture any bigger as it keeps saying it is to big

Wild one
05-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Congrats on the bear

monasheemountainman
05-07-2019, 03:45 PM
nice bear! good shooting too!

DeepJeep
05-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Congratulations

caddisguy
05-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Nice bear and nice shooting.

To get the picture bigger, you need to upload it to a site like imgur.com and then link it by clicking on the picture icon... be sure to uncheck the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Either way though, the picture gives a good idea of the bear and happy hunter. Congrats!!

porthunter
05-07-2019, 05:19 PM
https://imgur.com/hO4Igibhttps://i.imgur.com/moKvpaX.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/hO4Igib.jpg

porthunter
05-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Nice bear and nice shooting.

To get the picture bigger, you need to upload it to a site like imgur.com and then link it by clicking on the picture icon... be sure to uncheck the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Either way though, the picture gives a good idea of the bear and happy hunter. Congrats!!

DONE! Thanks Caddis Guy and thanks everyone else for the congrats

caddisguy
05-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Great pics to boot! Looks like some nice country. Thick and steep, grass poking through. Once again, way to go! Thanks for writing it up.

monasheemountainman
05-07-2019, 06:14 PM
What’s your rifle set up out of curiosity?

porthunter
05-07-2019, 06:26 PM
What’s your rifle set up out of curiosity?

Sako 85 Finnlight .300wsm topped with Swaro Z6 3-18x50 with custom dial.

Had the gun braked and it's made a huge difference in how comfortable I am and in turn boosted confidence to extend my range.

Shooting 190 Vld handloads

jtred
05-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Congratulations on a great spring weekend and the excellent writeup.

joshbazz
05-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Congrats, thanks for sharing!

HarryToolips
05-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Congrats, nice bear..

Rattler
05-07-2019, 09:31 PM

Had the gun braked and it's made a huge difference in how comfortable I am and in turn boosted confidence to extend my range.

Congrats on a fine bear. Curious on your brake...is it super loud? I’m contemplating one for my 300wm but have concerns I won’t remember to wear ear protection while hunting because I haven’t done so in over 32 years of hunting.

porthunter
05-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Congrats on a fine bear. Curious on your brake...is it super loud? I’m contemplating one for my 300wm but have concerns I won’t remember to wear ear protection while hunting because I haven’t done so in over 32 years of hunting.

It's definitely made the gun noticeably louder, I have taken one shot when I forgot to put ear protection on and it hurt(already have minor tinnitus). I've definitely heard louder braked guns but I wouldnt recommend shooting one with out hearing protection... if you can remember to carry a set of plugs and put them in, you will be very very happy with a brake in my opinion.

I have the same fear as you, breaking the habit of not putting in ear protection is hard. I have a couple things I'm going to be trying as a way to remember such as getting corded plugs to keep around my neck, taping a set of plugs to the stock, and maybe a couple other things.

avadad
05-08-2019, 01:16 AM
It's definitely made the gun noticeably louder, I have taken one shot when I forgot to put ear protection on and it hurt(already have minor tinnitus). I've definitely heard louder braked guns but I wouldnt recommend shooting one with out hearing protection... if you can remember to carry a set of plugs and put them in, you will be very very happy with a brake in my opinion.

I have the same fear as you, breaking the habit of not putting in ear protection is hard. I have a couple things I'm going to be trying as a way to remember such as getting corded plugs to keep around my neck, taping a set of plugs to the stock, and maybe a couple other things.

The U-shaped ear muffs work great for hunting. Super light and easy to put on.

monasheemountainman
05-08-2019, 02:22 AM

Very nice set up! I’m a fan of medium weight guns and shooting long distance! 500 yards on an animal is long distance to me, but that’s because I don’t practice further so I wouldn’t shoot at an animal further.

Anyway good shooting, nice bear, and nice set up!

porthunter
05-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Very nice set up! I’m a fan of medium weight guns and shooting long distance! 500 yards on an animal is long distance to me, but that’s because I don’t practice further so I wouldn’t shoot at an animal further.

Anyway good shooting, nice bear, and nice set up!

Amen to medium weight guns, to me the optimal weight is between 8-8.5lbs(ready to shoot). 3 years ago, it was a shot I would have never even thought about, but with upgrading of equipment, research, and practicing taking shots at 500 and further out, 700 is my max(for animals) with this set up right now for a couple reasons. I personally want my bullet to have a minimum of 1200Ft Lbs of energy when shooting an animal(alot of people seem to not think about energy when they talk about shooting long distance). At 700 yards my set up is 1198 @ sea level.

tigrr
05-08-2019, 05:54 PM
You da Man. Nice shooting. Nice bear. I hope to fill a tag soon.