PDA

View Full Version : Skeena Shut Down

IronNoggin
05-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Thirty-eight Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs have renewed a ban on recreational salmon fishing in their traditional territory.

“All persons holding recreational fishing permits or fish-guiding licenses are no longer allowed to trespass in Gitxsan territory. People need to know that when they fish here, they are trespassing in controlled territory,” says Brian Williams, Chair of Gigeenix, in a press release.

Like last year, the Hereditary Chiefs say anyone found fishing salmon in their territory will be asked to stop. They claim up to 90 per cent of its members have abstained from harvesting salmon until the numbers return.

Meanwhile an advisory committee, referred to as a Crisis Team by the chiefs, has been meeting with federal and provincial officials to discuss public access to the territory in 2020. They say the ban marks the beginning of an “ambitious journey” to collaborate with the government to create a process where all recreational fishers must have permission from individual chiefs to fish their rivers.

https://www.northernsentinel.com/news/gitxsan-hereditary-chiefs-renew-fishing-ban/

tinhorse
05-06-2019, 12:30 PM
"Their river".......As much as I like BC I will be encouraging my kids to get out as soon as they are old enough. What our government has created is going to ruin the most resource rich and outdoor friendly province in our country.....This is such a sad state of affairs. I am disgusted that our government allows themselves to be pushed around, and the majority in our province continually suffers.

Fella
05-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Guys the NDP has fully bought into the UNDRIP, EVERY SINGLE POLICY that the NDP is making is using the UNDRIP as a framework. Expect things to get crazy between now and the next election.

warnniklz
05-06-2019, 12:56 PM
90% of their members may not live in the area...

RyoTHC
05-06-2019, 12:57 PM
You know, if everyone would just move out of BC there would be no tax base to finance this bullshit and no money to hand to the entitled greedy FNs.

I'm going to fish and hunt where I want, confront me if you so wish but you better hope you possess a RCMP or CO badge or things aren't going to be pretty.

hawk-i
05-06-2019, 01:30 PM
I wonder which portion they are claiming as "their river"?

Harvest the Land
05-06-2019, 01:30 PM
My guess is they would have more support if 100% of their members have abstained from harvesting salmon until their numbers recover. Claiming to be implementing this policy for the betterment of salmon numbers while still allowing 10% of their members to fish for salmon in spite of knowing chinook numbers are tanking on the mighty Skeena? They lose all credibility. Its outrageous

boxhitch
05-06-2019, 05:17 PM
I wonder which portion they are claiming as "their river"?howz about the entire watershed. plus.
they state 13,000 members, 70% living in the territory. 33,000 sq kilometers

BigfishCanada
05-06-2019, 05:21 PM
This is insanity

pnbrock
05-06-2019, 05:44 PM
was there not a case where it was deemed no one can own a body of water? corbet lake

limit time
05-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Hahahahahah..... people said that will NEVER happen...lol. You will have to pay FN to hunt and fish and to walk the lands....

pnbrock
05-06-2019, 06:33 PM
^^^^^ don't we already?

hawk-i
05-06-2019, 07:12 PM
howz about the entire watershed. plus.
they state 13,000 members, 70% living in the territory. 33,000 sq kilometers

Sounds about par for the course!

walks with deer
05-06-2019, 07:45 PM
umm the fraser and thompson are mine stay off bud....

hmm i smell a civil war brewing.

tigrr
05-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Watch what you say on here because if anything happens it could be construed as intent.

walks with deer
05-06-2019, 08:48 PM
i was not threatning to be clear just seems many bad blood will brew. not just on that issue...

303savage
05-11-2019, 06:33 PM
while still allowing 10% of their members to fish for salmon It's not the number of people fishing, it's how many fish they take.

REMINGTON JIM
05-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Hahahahahah..... people said that will NEVER happen...lol. You will have to pay FN to hunt and fish and to walk the lands....

AND it will Not be much longer before the Indians will be controlling the F&W resources in this province ! :mad: RJ

HarryToolips
05-11-2019, 09:18 PM
umm the fraser and thompson are mine stay off bud....

hmm i smell a civil war brewing.
Yup....enough is enough, at some point we may have to all gather in hordes at various locations across the province and protest - enough with the majority being 2nd rate citizens....

S.W.A.T.
05-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Moving out of province will only strengthen their position as it will be less votes against crap like this. Indian affairs is funded from the federal level so it doesn't matter where you live the cheques come from the top and the corruption is all done at the local levels. I hunt and fish for food, not sport and I will continue to do so as long the government continues to sell the license. Canada is supposed to be a free country governed by democracy, what we are slowly witnessing here is a white apartheid. We are already slaves to the system through taxes and fees and programs the continually squeeze the middle class. Is a civil war really out of the question? Take federal funding away that accounts for nearly 1/3 of all federal funding and perhaps we would see our 43% tax rate actually do some good

IronNoggin
05-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Gitxsan Chiefs answer confusion regarding recent fishing ban

Further information has been released by the Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs to alleviate any confusion around their fishing ban.
Earlier this year, the Band announced the closure of salmon fishing activites on their territories.

Under Gitxsan traditional law, this means that band members are only permitted to utilize their own house group’s fishing hole.
In order to use another Gitxsan site, they would need to seek permission from that house group’s Chief.

According to the Band’s statement, current provincial and federal law does not permit trespassing by those holding a fishing permit or guide license.

The ban is currently in effect at all tenured fisheries in the Skeena Watershed, between Legate Creek, and the Upper Skeena to the north.

A copy of the statement follows:

https://www.cfnrfm.ca/2019/05/22/gitxsan-chiefs-answer-confusion-regarding-recent-fishing-ban/

RyoTHC
05-23-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm confused... They now make and enforce laws ??

IronNoggin
05-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Welcome to New Kanada... :cry:

Nog

steel_ram
05-23-2019, 01:24 PM

That's how I read it. So what are they going to do if we don't obey? Road blockades can work both ways.

S.W.A.T.
05-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Last time I checked the government issues the license this binding me to a contract with them. I pay the fees and follow their rules. Until the government tells me otherwise that's what I will continue to do.

limit time
05-23-2019, 06:41 PM
They can suck 14,000 dicks throughout the world !

tubby
05-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Will not and never abide by rules that arent made up or enforced by our government.

338win mag
05-25-2019, 08:56 AM
The "rule of law" is threatened weekly in this country, we have only been under the manifesto of the UN in their blanket UNDRIP policy for less than 3 years, whats the future going to look like......We need to hold Trudeau responsible for this entire dumpster fire.

IronNoggin
05-25-2019, 12:57 PM
The "rule of law" is threatened weekly in this country, we have only been under the manifesto of the UN in their blanket UNDRIP policy for less than 3 years, whats the future going to look like......We need to hold Trudeau responsible for this entire dumpster fire.

October is coming... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Gumsehwah
05-30-2019, 03:07 PM
You know, if everyone would just move out of BC there would be no tax base to finance this bullshit and no money to hand to the entitled greedy...

They'd hafta leave Canada, because this "bullshit" is intra vires the federal government. All the salmon stuff is courtesy Justin and the gang.

Gumsehwah
05-30-2019, 03:10 PM
They can suck 14,000 dicks throughout the world !

Wow. THAT is a lotta dicks for them to suck. I'm going to need therapy to help erase that imagery from my mind.��

IronNoggin
07-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Fishery Notice
Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0704-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 6 - Skeena River Watershed - Closure Effective July 27, 2019

Effective at 00:00:01 hours July 27, 2019 until further notice - The Skeena
River watershed is closed to fishing for all salmon.

Skeena Sockeye returns continue to be below the identified conservation level
of 400,000 as described in the Northern BC Salmon IFMP, and the Department has
undertaken extensive consultations with First Nations and stakeholders
indicating that measures will need to be taken to address Sockeye conservation.
This closure is a part of the identified conservation measures.

Variation Oder #: 2019-RCT-408

Notes:

Possession limits are two times the daily limits.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters and rivers
of British Columbia.

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and
coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Anglers are advised to check http://bcsportfishguide.ca for fishing closures
and other recreational fishing information.

Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences can be purchased via any computer connected
to the internet at
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm
or by using Google search key words "Recfish Licence".

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Darren Chow
A/North Coast Recreational Fisheries Manager
250 627-3441

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0704
Sent July 25, 2019 at 1630

IronNoggin
07-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Skeena First Nations call for closure of recreational Chinook fishery
Bill Fee (bfee@cfnrfm.ca)
July 25, 2019 10:21 pm
July 25, 2019 10:21 pm
First Nations along the Skeena Watershed are calling on the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to close the recreational Chinook salmon fishery.

The Gitxsan, the Wet’suwet’en, and Gitanyow, who rely on salmon for food and cultural purposes, are sounding the alarm about this year’s salmon returns to the Skeena River

The Nations say they are considering not engaging in any food fishery for Sockeye over concerns that returns of the prized species are not plentiful enough to maintain it in future years.

“We encourage all First Nations to conserve sockeye this year. Conservation of the salmon resource, which has sustained our culture, communities, and families for millennia is paramount. DFO needs to enforce closures. The sockeye shortage this year will result in First Nations families running short of their preferred food this winter, and any time we can’t fish or get enough fish there is a significant cultural impact.” said Wet’suwet’en Chief Namoks (John Ridsdale) in a news release.

Due to the sockeye shortage, the Nations plan to harvest as much Chinook as possible and say all fish beyond what is required for conservation should be available to their communities for food.

“We need DFO to understand the plain facts and act in accordance with Canadian law which gives First Nations a priority right to salmon after conservation needs are met. The numbers show that there is no surplus of Skeena Chinook for any non-First Nations harvest. The recreational fishery for Chinook in the Skeena River and bound for the Skeena River has to be closed now to preserve that valuable food for our people,” said Charlie Muldon, Coordinator of the Gitksan Watershed Authorities.

Wild one
07-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Sounds like someone is playing a BS game to get their way and with present government it will likely work

Only one more month and I am done with BC but still have pity on those who have to deal with this crap. Best of luck to BCs fishermen but I think you guys are screwed