PDA

View Full Version : Boats for sale

ratherbefishin
05-04-2019, 02:29 PM
I am starting to see typical recreational salmon fishing boats( 16-20’) come up for sale at bargain prices ,a fraction of the replacement cost.....package deals of boat,motor,kicker,downriggers,depth sounders,fishing rods and nets...pretty obvious,the poor guy decided the cost of owning and maintains a boat simply wasn’t justified for 6 to 8 weeks fishing a year ...and for every guy selling up his equipment,think of all the business’ that have to be there to support the recreational salmon fisherman...think about that next time you see Justin’s smiling face talking about ‘jobs ,jobs ,jobs....

the galling part is we all saw this coming,volunteers were doing what they could to support viable stream enhancement,pen raising smolts to put into the system,while the DFO ‘studied it’ just like they did the eastern cod fishery...they still could restore the salmon ,but only with a massive enhancemet hatchery program,proper forestry practices to ensure viable spawning habitat ,preditor control and restricting FN to subsistence fishing on runs that can sustain it ( no selling )which is what should have been in place all along...in the meantime there’s a lot of business’ that will close down

steel_ram
05-04-2019, 03:11 PM
I was out at dawn fishing of the beach in Sooke Basin. Weird to not see the usual buzz of boats headed out. Friggin seals everywhere! Good thing I didn't hook anything as it would have been taken. I suspect the seal population here is in for a crash. They were hungry and getting uncomfortably close to my dog. Today I saw no trout, where I usually do. Only a few crabs and not the usual hoards of salmon fry. I suspect the low water of this winter/spring hit the naturally spawning salmon hard.

ratherbefishin
05-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Yup,every morning there was a parade of boats heading out sooke harbour around the point and fanning out to either church rock,the bluffs or heading for Otter Point. Many a morning the dawn would show at least 100 boats out for the early bite. Not sure if we will ever see those days again,a tribute to gross mismanagement by the DFO. A whole way of coastal life wiped out.And whats worse is there seems to be no political will to change it

REMINGTON JIM
05-04-2019, 07:53 PM
KILL the Seals ! jmo RJ

Ride Red
05-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Maybe the indians should start eating seals. The eskimo do it.

ratherbefishin
05-04-2019, 09:52 PM
FN have a proposal to harvest seals as we speak...it is part of their tradition and I wholeheartedly support it.

REMINGTON JIM
05-04-2019, 10:38 PM
FN have a proposal to harvest seals as we speak...it is part of their tradition and I wholeheartedly support it.

That would be a GOOD thing ! RJ

Ride Red
05-05-2019, 05:47 AM

Absolutely and I want to join in.

ratherbefishin
05-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Seal was an integral part of coastal FN diet and villages harvesting them kept the numbers in check...not rocket science, take away that as well as the bounty and the seal population exploded..what we need to do us restore the natural balance and ignore the politically correct protestors who think seals are ‘cute’

boxhitch
05-05-2019, 07:47 AM
"We make curry out of everything so I thought seal is an interesting meat to work with because it has its own flavour.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/seal-curry-indian-food-truck-1.5121859

boxhitch
05-05-2019, 07:56 AM
the poor guy decided the cost of owning and maintains a boat simply wasn’t justified for 6 to 8 weeks fishing a year ..6 weeks of fishing is going to seem like a dream come true soon enough. Lots of closed areas, reduced catch limits, scarce bottom fish, taking the boat out will be just another scenic Sunday drive.

Edward Teach
05-05-2019, 09:36 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/seal-curry-indian-food-truck-1.5121859

Heh. Different sort of Indian...

RINO
05-05-2019, 09:58 AM
That would be a GOOD thing ! RJ

I can see more positives to this....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7398&stc=1

Keta1969
05-05-2019, 03:22 PM
6 weeks of fishing is going to seem like a dream come true soon enough. Lots of closed areas, reduced catch limits, scarce bottom fish, taking the boat out will be just another scenic Sunday drive.

Change a few words and you are describing how hunting is going.

ratherbefishin
05-13-2019, 05:14 PM
As the reality sinks in,I see more and more typical 16-18’trailer salmon trolling boats come up for sale....I’m afraid our west coast way of life is over.

Iron Glove
05-13-2019, 05:23 PM
As the reality sinks in,I see more and more typical 16-18’trailer salmon trolling boats come up for sale....I’m afraid our west coast way of life is over.

We've been casually considering something in that range as a multi purpose, cabin / lake water sports / fishing boat in the summer and the odd Fraser River fishing excursion.
The salmon fishing changes aren't really a game changer but does make us question the purchase.
On the other hand, if one can get a suitable vessel for a decent price …………………………….
Spent all my working life in a Marine related business and have seen many of these up and downs in boat values due to all kinds of reasons.
Used to see a marked increase in "stolen" or "sunk" or "burned" boats at those times.

fuzzybiscuit
05-13-2019, 06:36 PM
My dad just sold our 17’ Whaler in Campbell River this past weekend. It’s been used a lot less since I moved the wife and kids up to Fort Mac but we still managed a few good trips each summer, and of course dad used it whenever he fancied. With the regs the way they are and taking a quick look at the future of sport fishing in BC we figured we better sell it while we could. Sad to see it go but let’s face it, a 17’ Whaler is a fishing boat and with the way fishing is going in BC I’d be better off taking my dad to Alaska each summer for a trip to a lodge. Add in the lack of pipeline support by the present provincial NDP government and if I could avoid spending any money in BC this year I would.

steel_ram
05-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Really haven't seen that much for sale. Don't know about people buying new boats. I guess if I decided to become a Alberta resident I wouldn't be keeping an ocean boat either.

ratherbefishin
05-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Make no mistake,the ripple effect of this political decision masquerading as ‘conservation’ is going to br felt right through the industry