PDA

View Full Version : 400 Metres from highway question?

Harvest the Land
05-03-2019, 01:06 PM
Pretty sure I know this answer to this question, but don't know for sure so that's why I'm asking the experts on this forum:

Does the "no hunting within 400 meters of major highways" also apply vertically? More specifically, if I'm only about 200 meters from the highway horizontally (on the ground) but I'm 400 meters above the highway up the mountain, can I still hunt in that spot (even though I'm only about 200 meters from highway along the ground, but 400m above the highway?

I'm guessing no dice but would love to be proven wrong. Have a couple of really promising spots that I've passed up because they're not 400 meters from the highway from a horizontal perspective

Thanks for any insight

tikkahunter
05-03-2019, 01:36 PM
My understanding of the regulation is 400m horizontal. I know a guy who was 400m diagonal, and was given a warning. Based on that alone, better safe than sorry. Instead of taking advice from us armchair critics, call and talk to a CO. Would hate to get bad advice here, and get in trouble based on someones opinion on a computer.

ajr5406
05-03-2019, 02:48 PM
My understanding is 400m horizontal as well. Meaning if you have steep mountains right off the road, you gotta hike a long ways up to reach 400m horizontal distance.

Wild one
05-03-2019, 02:56 PM
For myself if I am hunting that close to the limits I just use a bow to eliminate a possible debate with a CO

I don’t pass up spots like you mention but I cover my a$$ just in case

Harvest the Land
05-03-2019, 04:01 PM
OK good advice and thanks for the replies. I like the idea of hunting those spots with my crossbow, but pretty sure the areas I'm talking about are both "no discharge of firearms" and "no hunting" within 400m - so the crossbow might be out of the question too.

Trying to find Stephen Mcgiver, head CO for regulations email/contact info so I can get a definite authoritative answer and post it up here so everyone knows. Anyone know is email address?

Harvest the Land
05-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Nevermind I got his email. So i will ask him what the specific reg is and post his response when/if I get one

scoutlt1
05-03-2019, 07:22 PM
I've never come remotely close to hunting within 400 meters of a highway, but a good question!

Curious, and interested in reading the response from the CO.

tipper
05-03-2019, 09:46 PM
No better feeling than getting out to the great outdoors and hunting beside the highway.

Wild one
05-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Some Hwys go through long tracks of crown land without any other access :wink:

But if you would rather go to the nearest FSR and drive around road hunting with the rest of the crowd I understand :lol:

cameron0518
05-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Definitely a good question. I have had a similar situation and I chose better safe than sorry.

two-feet
05-03-2019, 10:59 PM
There are some good spots not far off the highway, good to have some waypoints in the gps beforehand so you know how far away you are.

downsouth204
05-04-2019, 08:36 AM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/regulations/2018-2020/hunting-trapping-synopsis-2018-2020.pdf

boxhitch
05-04-2019, 09:32 AM
"no hunting within 400 meters of major highways" nothing like that in the regs

and what is listed , is pretty ridiculous
like the Hwy 6 restriction 'between Bench Cr. and Banting Cr.'.....try to find those on a map

Harvest the Land
05-04-2019, 10:54 AM
I would think a range finder would be one way to figure it out. But in these spots the timber is so thick I can't see the highway (can only hear vehicles)

Hublocker
05-04-2019, 10:59 AM
As boxhitch has indicated; there is no blanket 400 metre closure.

Page 13 of the current regs synopsis lists those roads that fall into that category.

Huevos
05-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Just remember "The major purpose of these restrictionsis to address the problems associated withincreasing public pressure for more closuresnear rural roads, where the urban publicis expanding residential properties, oftenat considerable distances from main urbancentres"

Harvest the Land
05-29-2019, 02:52 PM
OK I finally got a response to this question from Stephen MacIver today and here it is:

Hello Jason,
The Wildlife Act and regulations don’t specify whether the 400m No Shooting/Hunting distance from certain highways is horizontal distance or slope distance.

My interpretation is that an individual must be at least the prescribed distance away when hunting or shooting, and it is reasonable for a person to meet that requirement by being at least the minimum slope distance away.
Additionally, Section 2 of the provincial Firearms Act states:

Exercise of care for safety of others
3 A person who is in possession or control of a firearm must exercise care for the safety of other persons or property.

There is also federal legislation that pertains to the safe use, handling, storage, etc of firearms that shooters must be aware of.

The key is to follow the regulations, and above all be safe; always know your target and what’s beyond it.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development|Phone (778) 698-9112|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

Harvest the Land
05-29-2019, 02:55 PM
Lets try that again - did not realize the colour and font were all wonky:

Hello Jason,

The Wildlife Act and regulations don’t specify whether the 400m No Shooting/Hunting distance from certain highways is horizontal distance or slope distance.

My interpretation is that an individual must be at least the prescribed distance away when hunting or shooting, and it is reasonable for a person to meet that requirement by being at least the minimum slope distance away.

Additionally, Section 2 of the provincial Firearms Act states:

Exercise of care for safety of others
3 A person who is in possession or control of a firearm must exercise care for the safety of other persons or property.

There is also federal legislation that pertains to the safe use, handling, storage, etc of firearms that shooters must be aware of.

The key is to follow the regulations, and above all be safe; always know your target and what’s beyond it.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development|Phone (778) 698-9112|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

So, the key takeaway for me is where he says "it is reasonable for a person to meet that requirement by being at least the minimum slope distance away". Hopefully they will clarify this in future Regs

Dannybuoy
05-29-2019, 03:38 PM
nothing like that in the regs

and what is listed , is pretty ridiculous
like the Hwy 6 restriction 'between Bench Cr. and Banting Cr.'.....try to find those on a map
Ask any local where and why that highway 6 restriction is in place ..... To the OP as others have indicated there only a few stretches of highway that have the 400 meter restriction

Treed
05-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the post HTL. I always assume it would be horizontal distance. Shot direction and 400 m slope distance and you are good to go!

Harvest the Land
05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Treed - no problem. Yes watch your shot direction and make sure you 400m inland or above the hwy and you're golden. Dannyboy, you're right man - there are only a few stretches of Highway where those restrictions are in place. I just happen to hunt one of them and that's why I asked this question in the first place. I've been walking by some good sign in one of my spots for a few years now because its not 400m inland. Pretty stoked to start scouting/hunting these spots now

Dannybuoy
05-29-2019, 06:16 PM
Treed - no problem. Yes watch your shot direction and make sure you 400m inland or above the hwy and you're golden. Dannyboy, you're right man - there are only a few stretches of Highway where those restrictions are in place. I just happen to hunt one of them and that's why I asked this question in the first place. I've been walking by some good sign in one of my spots for a few years now because its not 400m inland. Pretty stoked to start scouting/hunting these spots now the highway 6 stretch is at least in part to why the 400 m restriction was put it place and it definitely is horizontal .

elknut
05-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Page 13 in the hunting regulations lists a lot of highway closures ...Its not a small part ...Plus individual MU's have road restrictions ..As for good hunting close to a hwy ...Yes there are some great spots ...Dennis