PDA

View Full Version : "Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Son called the other day, he had been out and about looking for bear signs. Told him I'd be at the Cabin soon, look forward to seeing him then I thought "Maybe I'll join him on a bear hunt." I don't hunt bear, don't like the taste but figured it would be fun to be with him, adds another body for the grunt work and provides an extra shooter if a problem occurs.
Had to renew my Hunter's Lisc on line which involved providing new "credentials" :mad: but I managed to work my way through it.
Then I wondered "If I go with him, carrying a rifle but with no intent on shooting a bear, should I have a tag?"
Hmm.
Check the Regs. "Hunting" is defined as " …...shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after ……..whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed …………. while in the possession of a firearm."
Oh well, bought a bear tag.

DeepJeep
05-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Good call. .

Ron.C
05-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Agree, best thing to do is to cover your butt. And for a $20 tag, pretty cheap way to avoid any issue.

whognu
05-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Son called the other day, he had been out and about looking for bear signs. Told him I'd be at the Cabin soon, look forward to seeing him then I thought "Maybe I'll join him on a bear hunt." I don't hunt bear, don't like the taste but figured it would be fun to be with him, adds another body for the grunt work and provides an extra shooter if a problem occurs.
Had to renew my Hunter's Lisc on line which involved providing new "credentials" :mad: but I managed to work my way through it.
Then I wondered "If I go with him, carrying a rifle but with no intent on shooting a bear, should I have a tag?"

mm.
Check the Regs. "Hunting" is defined as " …...shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after ……..whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed …………. while in the possession of a firearm."

no no no............

wildlife officer "are you hunting?"

you, the crusty veteran "yes, i'm hunting wolves....seen any"?

end of discussion

xo

Bubbacanuck
05-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Hmm.

Now you can shoot two bears and give the meat to your son

caddisguy
05-02-2019, 12:09 PM
What whognu said would be my advice.

If you want to be 100% hassle free (and be completely by the book no questions asked if a bear needs a second shot or if you shoot one in defence) then buy a tag... BUT...

The (or part of the) definition of hunting is looking for animals while in possession of a firearm while looking for animals. Just having a license, you are covered for that assuming there are other animals (that don't require tags) open, whether that be coyotes, wolves, etc.

I would buy the tag though, even if I wasn't planning on shooting a bear. In fact, I just bought a second tag already in case my brother wants me to take him out. That way if I pull a trigger, whether in defence or second shot needed, it will be on the up and up, no need to report anything, etc. I bought a cougar tag too for mostly the same reason.

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 12:42 PM
I've always tried to go "by the book" and follow the rules, as does my Son.
To do otherwise basically makes you a "poacher."
Yes, I might shoot a bear if the occasion arises and as Bubbacanuck says, the Kid can have the meat. I'll gladly have a nice rug tho'.

browningboy
05-02-2019, 01:31 PM
no no no............

wildlife officer "are you hunting?"

you, the crusty veteran "yes, i'm hunting wolves....seen any"?

end of discussion

xo

This is what I would say, totally legal and no worries... IG said if he didn't he would be poaching but thats far from the truth, you said you're not shooting or hunting a bear yourself so pretty clear to me! Go enjoy!

IronNoggin
05-02-2019, 01:55 PM
... In fact, I just bought a second tag already in case my brother wants me to take him out...

Your brother is a bear?
Does he know of your intent to "take him out"?
Man, I'd be a tad worried if I were him... :lol:

OP - You did the right thing. I pack a handful of tags I may never need, but the cheap insurance is well worth every nickle IMHO.
Enjoy your trip with your Lad!

Cheers,
Nog

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 02:08 PM
This is what I would say, totally legal and no worries... IG said if he didn't he would be poaching but thats far from the truth, you said you're not shooting or hunting a bear yourself so pretty clear to me! Go enjoy!

My point was that if you breach any hunting regs then you are "hunting" illegally. To me, "hunting illegally", be it using another person's tag, whatever is "poaching" aka "Hunting illegally. The definition of "hunting" in the Regs is very clear, what I would be doing, i.e. tracking, looking for a bear while carrying a rifle is "hunting." The regs don't deal with intent. I don't want to be out there and a CO hassles us so the $20 tag is money well spent. And who knows, just might shoot a bear. :)

whitlers
05-02-2019, 03:04 PM
My point was that if you breach any hunting regs then you are "hunting" illegally. To me, "hunting illegally", be it using another person's tag, whatever is "poaching" aka "Hunting illegally. The definition of "hunting" in the Regs is very clear, what I would be doing, i.e. tracking, looking for a bear while carrying a rifle is "hunting." The regs don't deal with intent. I don't want to be out there and a CO hassles us so the $20 tag is money well spent. And who knows, just might shoot a bear. :)

I agree and disagree with this. What if you draw a goat tag and you bring a hunting partner who has a rifle incase you see a nice alpine buck on the way up to goat country or a wolf etc. He doesn't need a goat tag and he will be helping you search for, persue and carry the goat out. In your logic he then also needs a goat tag? I doubt any CO would have a problem with that but I do see what you are saying with regards to what the regs actually say.

Salty
05-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Good call IG I've bought a few bear tags under similar situations cost of a case of beer or whatever.. not a biggy and I choose to follow all the rules and what ifs as well. Just because. Enjoy the hunt go show them young bucks how its done. lol

Salty
05-02-2019, 03:22 PM
I agree and disagree with this. What if you draw a goat tag and you bring a hunting partner who has a rifle incase you see a nice alpine buck on the way up to goat country or a wolf etc. He doesn't need a goat tag and he will be helping you search for, persue and carry the goat out. In your logic he then also needs a goat tag? I doubt any CO would have a problem with that but I do see what you are saying with regards to what the regs actually say.

Totally different scenario that GOS. But I'm sure they'd pack a deer tag right?

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Good call IG I've bought a few bear tags under similar situations cost of a case of beer or whatever.. not a biggy and I choose to follow all the rules and what ifs as well. Just because. Enjoy the hunt go show them young bucks how its done. lol

It's more like let the young bucks show me how to get it done. :wink:

Salty
05-02-2019, 03:42 PM
haha. What's it like up there IG is it getting pretty green or still shivering from winter

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 06:08 PM
haha. What's it like up there IG is it getting pretty green or still shivering from winter

Had to put down my beer and take a look. :smile:
Snow is almost gone up in the hills, none in Town.
Has dropped below 0 over night and the early AM walk to the Lake is "invigorating" but the days are pleasant.
Haven't seen any bear signs so far, Son was up China Creek last week, didn't see much.
One nice sign ( so far ) is the lack of flooding.
Last year much of the Town was evacuated and our end was on alert. So far, so good.

Piperdown
05-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Your brother is a bear?
Does he know of your intent to "take him out"?
Man, I'd be a tad worried if I were him... :lol:

OP - You did the right thing. I pack a handful of tags I may never need, but the cheap insurance is well worth every nickle IMHO.
Enjoy your trip with your Lad!

Cheers,
Nog

Shit Matt, IG is so blind he cant hit the broad side of a barn or stop a beachball :) Oh and by the sounds of it a tad cheap having to even ask or think about buying a tag....my bet is the son paid for it :mrgreen:

Walking Buffalo
05-02-2019, 06:41 PM

Regs don't deal with intent?

This is where your wrong. Mens rea Man!

Some regulations are written intentionally broad, with an intent to be enforced narrowly.

If we were to follow your logic, think of all the little kids hunting illegally with their parents.

You bought a tag, great. But you didn't have to, legally....

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Shit Matt, IG is so blind he cant hit the broad side of a barn or stop a beachball :) Oh and by the sounds of it a tad cheap having to even ask or think about buying a tag....my bet is the son paid for it :mrgreen:

Screw you Leaf Licker. I'll have you know that after leading my Team to the "Cup" I was presented with a beach ball to practice with. Practiced with it for years. Shooting, well that's a totally different matter. They don't call me "3 shot" for nothing when I go hunting. :|
I bought my own tag - want to surprise the Son when / if I accompany him. Figure he might need the extra "muscle" if he bags a bear. :-D

Iron Glove
05-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Regs don't deal with intent?

This is where your wrong. Mens rea Man!
Some regulations are written intentionally broad, with an intent to be enforced narrowly.
If we were to follow your logic, think of all the little kids hunting illegally with their parents.
You bought a tag, great. But you didn't have to, legally....

Would mens rea apply - it's your duty and obligation to know the Regs when you go hunting, saying you had no intent might not cut it.
Ignorance may be bliss but it's not a get out of jail free card.
I agree that the Regs are vague, whether it's deliberate or not is arguable.
Ultimately, better safe than sorry.

browningboy
05-02-2019, 11:06 PM

Thats different for sure, but before just thought you would ride along and carry a rifle... in any case high five for being a stand up dude

Jagermeister
05-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Okay. You’re going bear hunting. Never mind the gun, pack your crossbow. Full detailed report with pictures expected.

Piperdown
05-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Screw you Leaf Licker. I'll have you know that after leading my Team to the "Cup" I was presented with a beach ball to practice with. Practiced with it for years. Shooting, well that's a totally different matter. They don't call me "3 shot" for nothing when I go hunting. :|
I bought my own tag - want to surprise the Son when / if I accompany him. Figure he might need the extra "muscle" if he bags a bear. :-D

Lol Salty says the only muscle you have is between your ears. he says you get that by hanging at Timmy's in the morning with your buddies boring the heck out of them with your hockey glory days stories :) Good luck on the bear hunting i am going to the cabin solo, on Saturday for a couple weeks. The wife was coming but the bad luck continues and now the dog has bone cancer :(

Iron Glove
05-03-2019, 07:45 AM
Lol Salty says the only muscle you have is between your ears. he says you get that by hanging at Timmy's in the morning with your buddies boring the heck out of them with your hockey glory days stories :) Good luck on the bear hunting i am going to the cabin solo, on Saturday for a couple weeks. The wife was coming but the bad luck continues and now the dog has bone cancer :(

"Timmy's" ?? I'm a latte sipping, Birkenstock wearing Starbuck's kinda guy.
Hope to chat with the Kid this weekend and then set up a bear hunt in a couple of weeks. Who knows, he might turn me down because of my age. :cry:
Thinking of you and your Wife, fingers crossed. Sorry to hear about the dog - we lost our Molly last Sept after a long fight with cancer, still cry every day thinking about her.