PDA

View Full Version : Prawn/Crab trap identification

CR CRUISER
04-30-2019, 12:00 PM
My daughter, her husband and I went together and bought a boat. We have set it up with 4 prawn trap strings and 2 crab trap lines. The rule from Fisheries is that the owner's name and phone number must be written on the floats and you are not allowed to use somebody else's floats. So their last name/phone number and my wife's and mine are all different. I don't want to buy and store 6 more floats.
I'm thinking about using orange garbage bags on the floats with the appropriate names on them according to who is using them at the time. Am I pushing the envelope as far as Fisheries goes?

cameron0518
04-30-2019, 12:08 PM
We definitely don't need more garbage bags in our waters. They could detach easy enough. Why not put everyone's info on each? Is there a rule stating how big the info has to be?

tinhorse
04-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Post #7. As for writing, as stated in the fisheries and oceans Canada guide states "All buoys must be clearlymarked with the operator’sname (in printed, solidblack, capital letters at least75 millimetres high)"

CR CRUISER
04-30-2019, 12:30 PM
We definitely don't need more garbage bags in our waters. They could detach easy enough. Why not put everyone's info on each? Is there a rule stating how big the info has to be?
There can only be 1 name/phone# on the float. I'm thinking of putting the bag over the float then tie strapping it around the line.

04-30-2019, 12:37 PM
you will loose the bag..... don't be cheap.... go buy proper floats,,,, or use a tide laundry soap jug.... I mean that nicer than it sounds..... but really. you just dropped a bill on a boat...
we donr need more plastic in the drink.

04-30-2019, 12:56 PM
24.99$ at your local Canadian tire store. probably fine one cheaper in a garage sale somewhere......

if you were my dad...........
"Do it right, quit facking around, you just spent a pile of money on it what is another 144$"

you are already storing a pile of gear..... the floats go in the traps coiled up with the rope. you are not displacing any more space. If you are prawn fishing each line will be around 300 feet. it sits in a 5gallon pail nice if you buy the right rope.

Wild one
04-30-2019, 01:06 PM
My friends and family share traps since we don’t get out much and have found a solution to the labeling traps issue

We keep our big floats blank and everyone has a cork float(ones used for gill nets) with our required info hooked to a short line(about a foot) and carabiner. Makes it easy to just clip on a tag float for whoever is using the trap

04-30-2019, 01:54 PM
My friends and family share traps since we don’t get out much and have found a solution to the labeling traps issue

We keep our big floats blank and everyone has a cork float(ones used for gill nets) with our required info hooked to a short line(about a foot) and carabiner. Makes it easy to just clip on a tag float for whoever is using the trap

Dudes problem is solved right there....... CR Cruiser..... Do this.....

cameron0518
04-30-2019, 03:48 PM

Perfect solution!

Foxton Gundogs
04-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Yep we use a red avd white for visual and then have bleach jugs with our info on them and loop a chunk of 1/4" rope with a clip through the handle when we soak the traps we clip the appropriate jug to the line. Done deal and "free"

crazy ducker
04-30-2019, 09:24 PM
I just use duct tape. Tape over the name on the bouy with duct tape and write whom Evers name is fishing it as long as it dry it sticks to it

Opinionated Ol Phart
05-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Easiest way is to keep a roll of wide white duct tape and a marker pen handy. Just wrap it around the float and put the name on it. Easy to remove when someone else is out with you.