PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Hunt - Elk / Moose 7B

lunatic
09-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, just an update from the Tumbler Ridge area. We got about 2 inches of snow Monday night and I was gung-ho for Tuesday morning hunt....then I remembered i had a prior commitment. Got up early this morning and headed to my favorite spot about 30 mins. from town. Had no one to go with so was solo for this hunt. Shut the quad off at about 04:45 when it was still plenty dark out and immediately heard a bull moose grunting and crashing around in the bush. Listened for about 15mins for elk bugling and heard nothing. Decided I would go another 10 mins or so to a spot I had not spent much time at yet this year. Rode in and had the bike off before legal shooting light so decided to have a coffee. Heard an elk bugle off in the distance toward a slash I sometimes hunt. Decided that was where I was going and thought maybe I could get a look at him. I took my time and walked in real slow till I could look down over the hill into the slash. Nothing but small pine trees to look at. Heard him bugle again in the distance and answered his call. We exchanged calls a few times and then he quit which seems to be the way it was going this year so far. I decided I would walk down through the slash to the top of the creek bank and call from there hoping that it would piss him off that I was moving closer. Got to the top of the bank and called again. Nothing ! I decided to follow the game trail along the ridge top and glass the creek which is quite scenic. I went about a mile then decided to head back and maybe go check the area I had planned on for that morning. I continued to call about every 10 mins. When I got close to the slash again I decided to cut through the bush to the far corner of the slash which is only about 200 feet from where I was. I was then going to follow the edge of the slash looking for fresh sign. I decided to cow call just as I started cutting through the bush. I was about halfway across when an elk chuckled and I could tell he was close. I cow called again and I could hear him answer from REAL close. The bush around me was nice open poplar except for a small clump of spruce trees directly in front of me. I held up behind a large poplar tree and was furiously glassing the area trying to catch a glimpse of the bull. I figured he would maybe come along the edge of the slash but then I heard him directly in front of me. I was trying to see through the spruce trees when I caught movement behind them and could see that he was moving my way. I moved to my other foot to glance around the other edge of the tree and there he was emerging from behind the spruce coming diagonally toward me. I could immediately tell he was legal even without the binocs. I was slowly moving around the tree to keep it between him and me while at the same time dropping the binocs to my chest and grabbing the rifle which was leaning against the tree. By the time I got the rifle raised he was only about 20 yards from me and out in the open poplar and had no idea I was there. I put the crosshairs behind his right shoulder and sent a 220 grain 300 mag his way. He immediately spun around and bolted so as I chambered another round I cow called and he immediately stopped. I held the crosshairs on him again and just as he faltered I put the finishing shot into him. He was dead the first time.....he just didn't know it. It was 07:20 and a beautiful cool morning about -2*. Took me till early afternoon to gut, skin, qaurter, and haul him out. Awesome day ! Figured out on the GPS that he was less than a mile from the elk I got last year 6 days earlier. Oh yea, he was a nice 6x6. Last years was 720 lbs and this one looks about the same. Been a great couple of weeks as we seen lots of moose while the in-laws were up and took a real nice bull moose on the 13th. the moose seem to be starting to rut already and I really think the elk in this area anyway are just starting to really get going. I will post some pics when I have time to figure it out but needed to share my experience with everyone. Hope everyone has a safe, successful, and enjoyable hunting year. Tim.

There are some pic's in the gallery but I haven't figured out yet how to add them to the forum.

Wildman
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Nice, I'm jelous.

todbartell
09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
nice elk! congrats

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pic_1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pic_2.jpg

browningboy
09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Nice elk, talk about a quick hunt though! Congrats.

Jetboat
09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Most excellent! Well done :biggrin:

HighCountry
09-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Congrats nice looking bull.

bwhnter
09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Good Story and a nice bull

ianwuzhere
09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
beautiful bull, good story- makin me jelous- congrats!

gameslayer
09-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Congrats Thanks for taking the time Tim to type and share the story. I would love to hunt up that way one day sounds like they way to do it. Funny I have been reading that that area took a beating and no moose were to be seen. Godd to hear populations of game are stable.

kennyg826
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Way to go lunatic. Us BC'ers really do live in God's country don't we:-D.

lunatic
09-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks very much guys. Glad you enjoyed the story. I also have heard all the horror stories of all the winterkill, lack of moose, etc. I am just not seeing it. I do alot of quadding around here and spend lots of time up and down the Murray River on my river boat. The only carcass I found this year was on the river bank this spring with a large grizzly feeding on it. Don't know the story there. The in-laws were up from Sept 8th till the 13th and the elk were hard to find as they were not too vocal yet. The moose however were plentiful. We saw a total of 7 bulls ( 3 legal immatures, 3 unknown, and the large one the father-in-law took ) and probably 30 cows or calves. The morning before I took this elk, a friend and I were in the same area and seen 8 cows between the two of us. The in-laws had such a good time that they are on the road right now coming from Kamloops and Ashcroft just to hunt the weekend so hopefully i will have another story to tell. I'll keep you posted. Tim

fozzy
09-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Yahoo!! Nice Bull and great story, thanks for sharing.

BlacktailStalker
09-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Beauty, nice bull.

fuzzwilkens
09-21-2007, 08:02 PM
that's a nice looking elk. that was a quick hunt but rewarding. did you haul it out in a pack or quad it out?

Allen50
09-21-2007, 08:12 PM
real nice bull, good pic,, thanks for sharing,,,

lunatic
09-22-2007, 10:03 AM
The beauty of this was I was able to drive the quad right to where he was downed. I had a friend come to help and we put up a temporary pole and winched up one half at a time to skin and quarter it. Brought it out on two quads ( one trip ). Last years was the same. Drove right to it and had my 6x6 Polaris with me to haul it out. Talked to the butcher yesterday.....was lighter than I figured.....just under 600 lbs but still a nice one. Rode into an area yesterday afternoon with the friend that helped me and we came real close to a double header. I called in another bull close enough that we could see the bushes he was thrashing moving but he never gave us a shooting opportunity. Man that is exciting....I could never tire of seeing / hearing that. I couldn't go with the in-laws this morning as I had something to attend to but I got a call a 07:00 this morning from them. They had two big bulls out in a log slash that were fighting when they walked in there. He was whispering that they were trying to see if they were legal or not but couldn't get any closer. They were wondering what I would do. They never did get one of them as they could not be 100% sure if they were seeing 6 points or not but they sure were excited. Going back this evening....I'll keep ya posted.

fuzzwilkens
09-22-2007, 11:45 PM
that's pretty nice that you were able to get your quad right up to it. thanks for the update too.