PDA

View Full Version : whats the best atv

wayne marwood
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
i am looking to get a new atv for hunting and fishing.i looked at yamaha kodiak 450,arctic cat 400 and 500.can you help me out what one would you get or other makes.

Caveman
09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Wayne, do a search for other threads and you'll find all kinds of opinions on this. I personally have an '03 Artic Cat 500 and love it, but like cars or trucks everyone has their loyalties. Honda guys will harp about thiers etc. I too liked the Yamaha Kodiaks and Big Bears.

rocksteady
09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Don't forget to look at the Bomabardiers....I have a 2002 Quest 650 auto and it has more power than I will ever need, as well its very solidly built and is (even though not designed for it) comfortable for 2 person riding....

Dayto
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Artic Cat , Biggest baddest quads out there . I have a 07 and love it.

Dayto
09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Artic Cats the biggest and baddest quads on the Market , Speed rack system kicks ass , I have carried 400pnds on the back rack and My self 280Pnds up some serous hills and never felt under powerd . They have the Front diff locker which make them pretty well unstopable. I have a 07 Cat and love it.

pinestar
09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
i have a 650 arctic cat and a 500 honda. both are very good it is more personal taste

Ciskman
09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I own a polaris sportsman 500 and I have been disgusted with it...I know its not one of your choices but just incase!!..Go with th yamaha

Spokerider
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
There are other threads covering this topic, try a search.
Might also wish to try visiting quads.ca for info / discussion.

Sako7
09-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Take a look at the Suzuki kingquad 450.

300H&H
09-22-2007, 08:29 PM
The best ATV is the one you own, period !

With that being said I have been very happy with my Kawasaki KVF 700. They have givin me good service here in Kelowna. The 3 year warrenty was the final factor in makeing my choice. Well that and the CRAPPY service a the Polaris dealer in Kelowna.

If my last comment upsets anyone...TO BAD. I work very hard for my money and if I do not feel like I am being treated right I'll spend my money elsewhere (total for ATV & acc. $11,500).

Phil
09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
There aqre many good machines to choose from. I bought the Honda rubicon and am very pleased with it. If I had to buy another machine it would be the same one. It is a very simple machine but does all things very well and is reliable.

Husky7mm
09-22-2007, 08:48 PM
I have a Kodiak 400 in a 2001 model,special edition.It is made in JAPAN.It is a great quad.:smile: Way better than any 400 of its year.
I also have a 2007 Yamaha 450 Kodiak.It is crap. :mad:No power and 50% harder on fuel, which means i now have to pack a smelly ass jury can. It is made in the USA.I like the diff lock the rest of the quad can go to hell. I would not buy NEW yamaha!

ruger#1
09-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Maybe it needs a valve adjustment. I had to do that to my quad. and it had lots of power after that.

Husky7mm
09-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Its brand new but please do tell?

ruger#1
09-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I dont realy care which one is best, They are all good as long as they are not made in CHINA! This is what i look for in an ATV. Low center of gravity, So it isnt to tippy, In and out of four wheel drive and differential lock for those swampy areas. I have to shift mine and i would rather have an auto . Just put it in gear and go. My atv isnt that high so i can put an animal on the racks myself.

Husky7mm
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM
What i meant was please tell me more about the valve adjustments.

ruger#1
09-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Maybe it was a Friday night job and the valves were not adjusted. or your brake linkage is to tight.I know a few guys that thought putting an oil additive like slick 50 would help it out . All that did was make there centrifugal clutch slip. If its new and still under warren tie then i would take it back.

ruger#1
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Have you done a compression test on the motor. If your compression is low then its your valves. I think mine was 100psi is bad. 155psi is good.

TPK
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm happy with the reliability and performance of my Kawasaki 700, it has good and bad points as they all do. I'll tell you one thing that will likely see me buying something different next time though, the fan comes on when it wants and there is nothing you can do about it, even taking the key out won't stop it. I'll tell ya, that noisy, whiney thing kicking on at the wrong time has almost had me putting a round throught it ! :twisted:

ruger#1
09-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Check your thermostat, or by pass it with a switch. Its cheaper then shooting it.

Allen50
09-22-2007, 09:30 PM
the best atv to buy is the one that you can pay for, its like buying a truck, ever one will tell you something diffrent, i like chev, no ford is better, wait dodge gets better mileage, if you think about it, its all about how much money you have and how you ride and take care of the atv,,,, good luck,, have fun,,

Husky7mm
09-22-2007, 09:39 PM
the best atv to buy is the one that you can pay for, its like buying a truck, ever one will tell you something diffrent, i like chev, no ford is better, wait dodge gets better mileage, if you think about it, its all about how much money you have and how you ride and take care of the atv,,,, good luck,, have fun,, They are all simular prices .Thanks for your in-put. It does not sound like have any experience in this catagory. If you have owned multipull brands of ATV's please educate me.

Allen50
09-22-2007, 10:44 PM
well lets see, started out with trail bikes as a kid, first atv owned was a 3 weeler, honda big red, was good on mule deer trips, i have had a terra tiger 6x6 that flots, took it moose hunting, it also had argo tracks for it, it was hard to get parts for, as it was a older type atv, now i owne a 4x4 coot, i have my newest one is a Arctic Cat 400 atv, nice bike, i go riding with a groupe of atv'ers here in Duncan area, and took it moose hunting last year, with my brother and he has a honda grizzley, we did over 70miles a day on the bikes, i also like my unimog, i have 4 of them i have a 1991 yj jeep with a 6000 winch on it, i have a chev 3/4 ton, with 8000 lbs winch, and also have a 1998 dodge diesel, with no winch at the moment, i have owned many jeep's all with winches, and have spent many years hunting in all kinds of roads, 4x4ing, some places others would fear to go, I bough all my atv, and 4x4's some cheep, and others cost quit a bit, but i have been in and on many atv's and 4x4, so i do know where they will go and what one can do with them safely, so i thing i do know a bit about atv, and 4x4, oh yea i also work on and fix my owne toys, atv's, 4x4's, price well they all cost, and i have not bough something because someone says it's better then something else, i bought it because i though it was something i would like to have,, i was just out this after noon looking at a 6x6 my soninlaw saw in someones yard when he was delivering cement to there place, it was a very old Amphi cat, was in real bad shape, tires were rotted apart, body was split open where tow hitch was, holes in the front where someone ran into something, moter did not turn over, was worth nothing, been sitting out in the weather for many years, but i had to go look, it may have been something worth fixing, nope would not wast my time on it, but i still have to go see, so this is a bit of my experience on atv's and 4x4's, if you like to know more by all means give me a shout,, i love talking atv, or 4x4 stuff, and like i stated before, its your money you have and what you want to spend, you must take care of it, and ride it your self, keep all others off it unless they can pay if they break it, no one rides mine unless i know they can fix it when they crash it... its my toy....
good luck hope you find something you like....

000buck
09-22-2007, 11:00 PM
03 arctic cat 300 4x4 15 speed manual shift (hi lo super lo 5 speed) small light and low will tow push climb and haul but doesn't like deep snow

mapguy
09-23-2007, 07:14 AM
yahmaha best buy for the money i have a 450 and wife has 400 almost identical she gets better milleage my buddy bought apolaris 350 keeps up nicely and cheaper . some of the bigger ones are just to big for trails

Husky7mm
09-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Sorry for being an ass. What i should have said was have you had the oportunity to compete similar class atv's agianst eachout to find out which one or one's are the best.A shoot-out

Phil
09-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I also have a 2007 Yamaha 450 Kodiak.It is crap. :mad:No power and 50% harder on fuel, which means i now have to pack a smelly ass jury can. It is made in the USA.I like the diff lock the rest of the quad can go to hell. I would not buy NEW yamaha!

I think Ruger#1 may be on to something. Usually after the first 300km or so the valves need to be adjusted. I had to do it with my Honda after the initial engine break in period. I drove it for a few hundred kms more than recomended and noticed a major power loss. The dealership readjusted the valves and it's been happy trails ever since.

moose hunter
09-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Yamaha imo are the best atvs they DO have alot of power with the proper adjustments, i have a suzukie right now but it break alot (my fault) and i hopefully will get a new kodiak 450 or grizzly 660 yamaha make tough machines, artic cat frames bend very easily and i would not buy one, hondas are good on the beaten path but in mud etc they dont even stand a chance against my 300, any atv you get scrap the stock tires since i got my new tires the difference is awesome, and if you like to go fast alot like me then you will need new breaks often, can am as far as i know make good quads i had them all wrong until i took a 500 that had a snorkel for a ride it was pretty good quick acceleration lots of power and weight capacity, the thing i didnt like is the wheel base had the clearance but the dumb plastic shit always drug on the ground, but i have also hear thing about the frames bending.If you ride like me all quads are going to break and sicne ive gotten my quad ive learned alot of them inside and out and just fix it myself.

Allen50
09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
well reading these notes by everone here, you see i said every one has something else to say about the atv, its like asking what kind of truck to buy, everyone is going to tell you something diffrent what they like and don't like, so the bottom line is still how much cash you have to spend, and how you ride and handle your atv, i like my Arctic cat, and i like others, but at the time this was the better deal, and it get's me the same place all the other bike's go also,, Good luck on finding what you want,,,,

Caveman
09-23-2007, 12:20 PM
A couple little things to look at. Where is the winch control. Mines a thumb control so it is easily accessed while pulling or driving. Others are on the front fender, awkward. Full time 4X4 or selectable? Clearance, I have twelve inches, my cousins have eight, big difference, I'm always jerking them out of the mud or ruts. Don't go too big, you don't really need it. 400 - 500cc is plenty IMHO. Auto or gears that's just a user preference, I got the Auto so the wife and kids could use it. Suspension, solid or independent, I've got the fully independent and really enjoy it. Have rode others but could never keep up with the in dependants. Crawling over logs or rock a lot easier on you and the machine. Just some thing to ask yourself. They're all are good, you just need to decide what you need. Good Luck!

Husky7mm
09-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Make sure if its an auto that it has HI and low range, and get aftermarket tires.

DWEL
09-24-2007, 01:38 PM
A couple little things to look at. Where is the winch control. Mines a thumb control so it is easily accessed while pulling or driving. Others are on the front fender, awkward. Full time 4X4 or selectable? Clearance, I have twelve inches, my cousins have eight, big difference, I'm always jerking them out of the mud or ruts. Don't go too big, you don't really need it. 400 - 500cc is plenty IMHO. Auto or gears that's just a user preference, I got the Auto so the wife and kids could use it. Suspension, solid or independent, I've got the fully independent and really enjoy it. Have rode others but could never keep up with the in dependants. Crawling over logs or rock a lot easier on you and the machine. Just some thing to ask yourself. They're all are good, you just need to decide what you need. Good Luck!

x2 Caveman nailed it.

I have a 650 Kawasaki Bruteforce. Great machine but if I was to do it over again I would go Suzuki King Quad 450 or Vinson 500.
The big power machines are fun but you are not going 100kmh very often and when going slow over technical side hilled shale washouts the 650 has alil to much grunt for my comfort.:eek:

My wife has the Kawa 360 and that machine will go anywhere mine will but would not win many races. Has all the goodies on it, diff lock, sealed disc brakes etc.etc.

Like everyone else has said almost all the Japan machines are good, pick which one works best for you.

All mho of course.
Dave

browningboy
09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
We all have new yamy grizzlies, never have skipped a beat, they can haul, tow, pull, drag etc.. and has hi/lo- 2wd/4wd and the kicker COMPLETE diff lock with over ride, so I can say from experience that it's a great machine and very tough and doesn't way as much as some in the same class so thats an added bonus.

Oh for the guy with the power loss, take it in the valve adjustment is due at 7 hrs, its that simple but make sure you break it in right otherwise you'll will have a piece of sh&t, regardless of make etc..:razz:

ruger#1
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.royaldistributing.com/07/ This is if you guys want good deals on atv parts. All you had to do is ask me. This site is Canadian and has. Big tire kits , engine rebuild parts add ons for all the models. Enjoy. and no i do not work on anyone elses atvs, To time consuming and a genuine pain in the arse. Thank you.

lunatic
09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I have 4 quads in the garage. 400 Polaris Sportsman, 425 Polaris 6x6, and 2 700 Suzuki Kingquads. I have had good luck with all of them. The 6x6 I have had for 11 years and it's NEVER been stuck. Amazing machine for hauling game but high maintenance. The two Kingquads are newer and are a beauty to ride. Lots of power, lighter than almost any of the large displacement machines, full diff lock, etc. If you are looking for a smaller machine, take a serious look at the 450 Kingquad. Has all the luxuries of it's bigger brother including independant rear suspension. The 700 is also very good on fuel compared to most as it is a single cylinder motor. Whatever you choose....definately get some good aftermarket tires. I suggest going and testing each machine even if it's just a ride around the dealer compound. Get a feel for the ergonomics and handling of each machine then decide which YOU like the best. Also look at storage, rack sizing, winch placement, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jonas111
12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
The best quad with no question is the Outlanders from CAN AM. I have drove ATV's for a long time and I have always been a Honda Fan. My Dad bought an Outlander 400 in 2004 and there was no question in my mind that it was the best quad I have ever driven. Extremely smooth in rough conditions and the 4x4 is second to none.

I now own the Outlander 800 XT and I am have absolutely no complaints, super powerful and rides extremely smooth. No issues with it to date and I have had it since May 2006.

Good Luck and pick the Outlander you will not be dissapointed.