PDA

View Full Version : Duty on imports from Cabela's

sbarrick
09-20-2007, 09:36 AM
I have been thinking about getting some new pants and boots for the late season when things get a little cooler. With the dollar basically even with the US, Cabela's looks pretty good. I know I will get dinged GST + PST when shipping to BC but I can't seem to find anywhere what the duty could be. I don't want to order something then find out I have to pay some crazy amount of duty when it shows up at the post office.

What kind of duty have others paid on this kind of stuff? I know it depends on where it was made but I am just curious.

Wildman
09-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I thought that if you were Canadian and ordered from Cabell's that it actually comes from back east somewhere. I could be wrong but a friend of mine told me that. He also has a 2007 catalogue with Canadian prices?! Again, I have'nt seen it.

Wildman
09-20-2007, 09:49 AM
I thought that if you were Canadian and ordered from Cabell's that it actually comes from back east somewhere. I could be wrong but a friend of mine told me that. He also has a 2007 catalogue with Canadian prices?! Again, I have'nt seen it.

Montreal actually.

bighornbob
09-20-2007, 09:59 AM
If your looking for pants have you looked at the Remington camo at Walmart. They have regular thermal insulated pants and then some thermal insulated bibs both are wind and water proof. I bought the bibs for 80 bucks to be used in the tree stand in November. I wore them last year for work when it was down to -30 with the wind and they were great.

BHB

Wildman
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah.......get the bib pants over the regular. I bought the regular style and I wish I would have bought the bib style.

sbarrick
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Wildman,

I've looked on the Cabela's website and they still have Montreal as openning soon. If you look at their shipping instructions from the website it looks like they ship from the US to Canada. It could be that they are doing mail order or something out of Montreal ?

BHB,

I have looked at those Remington pants at Waltmart. Definitely hard to beat for the price. I would like a pant with some cargo pockets and those didn't have any.

Wildman
09-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I think they may ship mail order from Montreal.

todbartell
09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Cabela's is moving to Winnipeg next year, taking over SIR

You'll most likely pay the taxes and thats it

ape
09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Call them and ask. I called the 800 # about a generator and the lady gave me the price of everything included right to my door. Very helpful she was.

reach
09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
They do give you the total cost including duty & taxes before you commit to the transaction. If the duty seems too much you can back out. There are no extra charges at the post office - it's all paid up front and you know exactly how much you will be charged.

Since a lot of their stuff is imported (i.e. not made in the USA or Canada) there is sometimes fairly significant duty (20-30%?). But as you say, with the exchange right now there are some good deals to be had.

Gunner
09-20-2007, 04:05 PM
The price they quote you is your cost to your door(tax,shipping etc.).The only shocker is the brokerage the shipper (UPS) charges you,which can be 20-40%(or more!) of the order value.I have everything shipped to a US address,and when enough piles up I drive down and get it,and only pay my GST/PST-no brokerage! Gunner

propfwd
09-20-2007, 04:29 PM
If its made in north America US/Canada/Mexico no duty but overseas there is and when you order you have options on shipping i.e parcel post/UPS etc and if you choose parcel post the fees are dirt cheap. There returns location for Canada is on Brampton Ont. I have ordered a fair amount of clothing from them and I have yet to get any nasty surprises when they arrived for brokerage etc.

highcountry88
09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Gunner is correct in that the brokerage costs can be a nasty surprise for mail order from the USA......I live close to the USA border, I have the product delivered to a po box in a US border town...then I go across and pick it up...sometimes if the value of the shipment is low, then they can let you cross the border duty free....but is the value of the shipment gets up to $100+, they will nail you with some duty, but you don't get any brokerage costs.

My kids (even my daughter) all getting Christmas and birthday gifts from Cabelas so this has worked for us.

reach
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Gunner is correct in that the brokerage costs can be a nasty surprise for mail order from the USA.
While that is definitely true for mail order in general from the USA (if shipped by UPS or FedEx), it is NOT true for Cabela's. When ordering from Cabela's you pay your duty (if any), taxes and $3.50 brokerage fees up front and you are NOT charged any extra when it arrives at your door.

They are aware of the customs brokerage issues and do their own customs brokerage. As it says on their web site (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/customerservice/shipping-info.jsp?csPage=shipinfo&cm_re=customerservice*left*shipinfo#canada), "Duties and taxes will be pre-paid and a $3.50 broker fee will be assessed per order."

The Hermit
09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Cabelas ROCKS the mail order world!!

Gunner
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
I haven't ordered for a while(a year or maybe 2),and it's nice to see they have a flat rate brokerage charge and a choice of shipping.That didn't use to be the case and still isn't for a lot of US mail order companies.The main reason I haven't ordered is that I was in Cabela's in Dallas last year(230,000 sf!!!),and just got back from their store in Boise,Idaho.Went fairly crazy both times.My credit card melted!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Gunner

Radar
09-20-2007, 08:42 PM
There seems to be some confusion with "duty" and "taxes" on the thread.

"duty" is a charge over and above the normal PST & GST charged on an item.

Most things you buy in the US are "duty free" as they are made in the US. You just have to pay your applicable GST & PST. (tobacco & alcohol excluded)

I buy a lot of items from the US, I have never paid duty on a single item. I always declare the item at the border and usually as mentioned here already if the value is below $100 they wave me through, worst case scenario they charge me the applicable Canadian Taxes for the item. I already calculate in the taxes before I buy an item so I know I am still ahead even paying m,y GST/PST or I wouldn't buy it.

The advantage of having it shipped to a US box is almost all mail order items in the US ordered online are not subject to state tax, thus you only end up paying the same taxes you would if you bought it in BC.

ruttinbuck
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I bought some danner boots from Cabelas last year.Originally going with the meindl canadians they sell but being that they are made in Germany there was a hefty duty amount added to the price,so I went American made.Great boots those Danner Elk hunters,and the brokerage fee was $3.50 as stated.RB

CanAm500
09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
They do all their mailorder stuff throught the states at the big warehouse somewere. Ive ordered from their a couple times and ive been charged duty.

sbarrick
09-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I actually took my online shopping cart through "checkout" and they do automatically calculate the duty & taxes. Most of the cabela's brand stuff does appear to have 20-30% duty applied. Add-on the shipping fees and what was $100 turns quickly into $150. I will have to do some more shopping around locally first I think.

Thanks for all the posts.

dime
09-22-2007, 03:55 PM
The difference is huge! I bough the Bighorn 2 Tent, with a stove and the total including shipping was to be $900USD to my door. The same tent and stove delivered to my parents house in Birch Bay (just over the border in Washington state, A 30 minute drive away) was $700 USD. Not only do you have to pay duty and taxes but also have to pay to ship via international air, as they do not do ground shipments to non-US addresses.