PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my son interested..

Rod Linecaster
09-20-2007, 08:12 AM
This is my son's first year as a junior hunter. I want him to have a successful experience too really try and get him hooked. He is ambitious and we camped out last weekend (Murphy lakes area), without seeing a thing. I planned this week to take him up Anderson creek area. I am only hunting grouse with him but I myself have only shot grouse here or there while I am out deer or moose hunting. I would appreciate any info (posted, pm, or e-mail) on some areas that have consistent or decent odds of getting grouse. I can't wait to share in the enjoyment when he has success. Thanks Dan

frenchbar
09-20-2007, 08:24 AM
pm sent Dan.

Rod Linecaster
09-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks Glen, I forgot to put I would like to be within 2 hours of Hope.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm seeing several threads such as this one lately. Are these guys just unlucky, or are we having a bad year for the Jitter Birds?

It blows my mind that a guy can go out for a weekend and find none.

longhairmtnman
09-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Concentrate on am and pm for grouse. Both road and trail walking. Anderson cr. should hold good #'s. You will find them!

Sasquatch
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I have not been out this year yet (hope to get away this weekend) and have heard mixed reports on grouse numbers. Sounds like some regions they are doing well.

My best results for grouse, usually come in late afternoon/evening, hunting near creek bottoms. If I am new to an area, I will check a topo map, or drive around searching for creek bottoms and then hunt that area thoroughly.

Good luck, let us know when the young fella bags his first!

Leaseman
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I hunt in the areas you are talking about....In my 3 outings there this year, I have seen more grouse than in the last 10 plus years....:wink::wink:

Chuck
09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Doesn't anyone use a dog for grouse anymore? A Spaniel, a 410 and a boy equals one hunting team imo.

Leaseman
09-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Rod-
Just a thought....go a tad farther and go into the Murray Lake area....once past the lake there is many, many miles of old logging roads that take you through 2,000+ feet of elevation....usually not alot of traffic and the grouse (plus deer;)) population in the area is real strong.... well worth the drive and a very nice day trip..... I do the area quite a bit on day trips from Aldergrove.....

Mike

p.s.....use the "by pass" route and save the $20.00...

Rod Linecaster
09-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice I am sure my son will get some this year. I will be trying these tips this year. I will post when my son is successful.

browningboy
09-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Depending on the spieces of grouse, I tend to find them along roads with pine trees around with the little berry bushes along the side (if you get one you'll see it will be full of berries), the trees provide good cover and usually the ground will have good cover for them "ducking" out and hiding as well. After reading my own statement, this sounds quite generic but find a food souce and they'll be around.