PDA

View Full Version : Albertan that wants to hunt BC

WhiteTailAB
04-17-2019, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, long story short I'd like to go hunting with my girlfriend's Opa before it's too late. Her grandparents live in Quesnel so that area is where he hunts. Back when he was younger he was quite the mountain climber and hunter. Hes in his 80s now so obviously we won't be going up the mountain.

I'm wondering what the best time would be to go hunt there and what info HuntingBC can offer.

I've read some of the regs regarding out of province hunters in BC, as far as I am aware there are a few species I can hunt - WT, mulie, cougar, black bear for big game.

Just hoping to create some memories as my gf and her cousins aren't hunters so I'm assuming no grandkids have ever hunted with him.

Thanks

Wild one
04-17-2019, 07:36 PM
A spring black bear hunt would be an easy going hunt and Quesnel has really good bear hunting.

WhiteTailAB
04-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Ahh sorry I should have said some time in the fall, the gf just said she wants to go visit in the fall. Spring would be too soon wouldn't it? I thought you needed the hunter host a few months in advance?

monasheemountainman
04-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Yup get hunter hosted, some decent deer country near by. Go up north a ways for moose and elk

WhiteTailAB
04-17-2019, 07:56 PM
So looking at Region 5 regs, I don't see elk or moose as a species listed, I assume those are then LEH/draw? I also heard a non resident can't hunt sheep/goat unless they're with an actual guide right? Not that I think we are going for one but it's something I've heard on another forum.

I suppose I could look and see what region 7 offers if it's not a super far drive.

Yup region 7-8 has elk and moose species listed. Gonna have to google map the distances up there.

Wild one
04-17-2019, 08:04 PM
Hunting in BC is not like Alberta here driving 5 to even 15 hours to go hunting is considered normal by most lol. Odds are he is suggesting 7b peace country

Around Quesnel You are looking at bear and deer hunting. Deer hunting in BC is crap compared to Alberta but bear hunting is way better. You would likely find the deer hunting very disappointing. Bear can still be good in September

srupp
04-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Hmmm west of Quesnel for mule deer come sept.willbeblack bears in the berries.
East of Quesnel..not all that far..moose STILL plentyful..but its LEH ..need for resident to win a tag.you could learn to be a SHERPA..
I think you will be limited to deer black bear..
Good luck..
Cheers
Srupp

WhiteTailAB
04-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Well I've never shot a mulie before, they're on draw nearly everywhere in AB that I hunt so I'm okay with a mule deer. I've never shot a bear before, I also don't know how to skin one out.

BCHunterTV
04-17-2019, 09:40 PM
you can hunt goats here, ive hosted before

WhiteTailAB
04-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Well that's interesting, guess I was fed the wrong info.

What could you guys tell me about hunting around Boushie Lake? If anything? I know her Opa likes to hunt around there.

Danny_29
04-19-2019, 12:47 PM
I once found a chart that broke down the regions and what species a non resident could hunt but haven't been able to find it. Would someone mind posting a link?

ACB
04-19-2019, 11:44 PM
More than likely you won't be able to travel around the prov. with the oil taps shut off and no gas coming in! Unless you have a solar powered 4x4 it could make it tuff. Don't get me wrong, good luck.

WhiteTailAB
04-20-2019, 06:45 AM
More than likely you won't be able to travel around the prov. with the oil taps shut off and no gas coming in! Unless you have a solar powered 4x4 it could make it tuff. Don't get me wrong, good luck.

Don't worry I will have jerry cans of ALBERTA fuel in the back of the pick up. Lol

.264winmag
04-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Albiet limited areas that are GOS, access is usually challenging in these areas. Save for the northern most parts of B.C. I only remember two or three m-u available for non-res

WhiteTailAB
05-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Well we went and visited her parents and grand parents over may-long and I talked to her opa and he says hes never had an issue with natives blocking access for hunting or giving him trouble so I'm gonna start looking into getting my non resident and hopefully go on an October hunt. I'm guessing I'll have a decent chance at WT, mulie, black bear.

WhiteTailAB
08-18-2019, 08:53 PM
So her Opa is having a heck of a time getting into his account. He can't remember his forget password answer lol hes not computer literate. What steps can he take next to get his permit to host a non resident hunter? All of my documents are uploaded and approved so we just need his hunter host permit to move forward.

E.B.
08-19-2019, 07:16 AM
Well I've never shot a mulie before, they're on draw nearly everywhere in AB that I hunt so I'm okay with a mule deer. I've never shot a bear before, I also don't know how to skin one out.
If you go in October , any mule deer buck is open. Sept and Nov are restricted to 4 point only

WhiteTailAB
08-19-2019, 07:43 AM
If you go in October , any mule deer buck is open. Sept and Nov are restricted to 4 point only

The plan is thanksgiving weekend, so October for sure

WhiteTailAB
08-20-2019, 09:53 PM
Got the application in, now to wait............

Springer
09-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Good Luck !! good on ya for planning this trip with Opa.

WhiteTailAB
09-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Good Luck !! good on ya for planning this trip with Opa.

Thanks, the application to hunter host is "in review" so hopefully any day now.

I guess I'll need to call to buy tags and see if they can mail them quick or mail them to the grandparents place so that they get there in time and aren't lost in the mail

WhiteTailAB
09-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Application is approved! Going hunting over thanksgiving. Less than a month away though so I wonder if I should buy tags online or buy them in BC due to the time constraint and canada post. Thoughts? Gonna buy a WT, Mulie and probably black bear tag just in case I see a color phase bear!

marcus44
09-17-2019, 11:59 PM
With a limited amount of time, I wouldnt take the chance with canada post and buy them in person once you get to BC

WhiteTailAB
09-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Are color phase bears common in the quesnel area? Wondering if I should spend the money on a black bear tag... So far I know I'm buying a whitetail tag, mulie tag, maybe a wolf tag? I'd love to shoot a cougar but I can't see us running into one...

albravo2
09-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Good news is you don't need a tag to shoot a wolf. Or at least I really hope you don't need a tag to shoot a wolf. Asking for a friend...

Rackmastr
09-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Good news is you don't need a tag to shoot a wolf. Or at least I really hope you don't need a tag to shoot a wolf. Asking for a friend...

A non-resident needs a tag to shoot a wolf. Residents dont.

WhitetailAB - Make sure you confirm that all the species have been confirmed on your PTA, as they are applied for based on each species (guessing you knew that but wanted to be sure you confirmed)

WhiteTailAB
09-18-2019, 03:46 PM

WhitetailAB - Make sure you confirm that all the species have been confirmed on your PTA, as they are applied for based on each species (guessing you knew that but wanted to be sure you confirmed)

Yes I selected WT mulie blackbear wolf cougar on the permit before I submitted it, just wondering if its worth spending the $$$$ for bear/wolf/cougar or just stick to WT mulie.

Rackmastr
09-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Yes I selected WT mulie blackbear wolf cougar on the permit before I submitted it, just wondering if its worth spending the $$$$ for bear/wolf/cougar or just stick to WT mulie.

10-4! Good stuff man

albravo2
09-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Phew, thanks. My friend is very relieved.

WhiteTailAB
09-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Mule deer, white tail, black bear tags purchased. For the price of these tags anything bigger than a spiker is getting whacked lol and if there is a color phase bear that one better watch out too.

WhiteTailAB
10-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Got my tags, these are different than what I'm used to in AB.

Is there anything that gets attached to the animal??

Also where can I find a crown land map? Do you guys have that stuff in BC or is it all native owned? Lol. Mostly wondering so if I see a bear I don't want to trespass to shoot it and I'm hoping to see no bears where we are going for deer. What about logging/lease roads? Fair game to take an animal on one?

WhiteTailAB
10-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Bump

Heading out Thursday to your guys' province, will post updates as our hunt goes. Anyone in 5-13 seen much for wildlife?

Wild one
10-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Bump

Heading out Thursday to your guys' province, will post updates as our hunt goes. Anyone in 5-13 seen much for wildlife?

Well I can tell you this I have been seeing way more deer and moose on public land in western Alberta than I would see hunting in BC in the past few years lol

WhiteTailAB
10-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Well I can tell you this I have been seeing way more deer and moose on public land in western Alberta than I would see hunting in BC in the past few years lol

Yeah cause AB is gods country. ;)

monasheemountainman
10-07-2019, 05:44 PM
dont you have a hunter host with the local intel?

Jagermeister
10-07-2019, 08:20 PM
He knows where to go, how to get there.

WhiteTailAB
10-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Yes, but it doesn't hurt, or at least I thought it didn't hurt, to ask how everyone else's season has been going so far. I can tell you in AB I didn't see much until we got out first sub zero weather. Forecast calls for +12, I hope it cools down some more.

Norwestalta
10-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Went out today. The moose are moving but only seen one. Lots of snow in the trees so can't see far into the willow patch. Lots of moose tracks though. Not much for deer but the last couple years have been that way. Seen a couple of does and a fawn whitetail. Might of been a buck on the far side of my hayfield but binos were in the truck and can't say for sure. A herd of elk came across the neighbors fescue field.

WhiteTailAB
10-12-2019, 06:55 AM
Day 1 hunting with Opa success! After our morning hunt where I spooked a mulie and later saw a group of 6 mulie does about to lay a beating on 2 coyotes and then a 2x2 mulie in a field we had no access on we later went back for a rainbow trout lunch Oma prepared.

In the afternoon we tried a different spot, as we walked in we spotted a mulie doe and fawn, then later another doe just over a small hill. At about 6pm I saw a patch of white out of the corner of my eye and threw the binos up and spotted a white tail buck I'd like to shoot but he wouldn't full come out behind the shrubs so I had go exercise patience which I don't have a lot of lol. Eventually his 3x3 buddy went out first and then this guy followed and met fate with my 300wsm at 160yards.

Pretty pumped for this buck!

https://i.imgur.com/NTkaGGw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YoxvVvM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2LLR82x.jpg

Knute
10-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Nice, osso buco for Thanksgiving, congrats.

Wild one
10-12-2019, 07:57 AM
That is nice BC whitetail

IronNoggin
10-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Yes Indeed! Got to love it when the plan comes together!!

Fine BC Whitetail! Congrats!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

WhiteTailAB
10-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys, finally finished butchering it and it's all vacuum packed and in the freezer. :D

fuzzybiscuit
10-12-2019, 07:05 PM
That’s a great Whitetail. Congrats.

WhiteTailAB
12-25-2022, 03:58 PM
Bump, been a few years but I'm wondering if a non-resident can still hunt moose in BC? Thinking of another hunting trip with my wife's Opa.

guntech
12-26-2022, 08:06 AM
Bump, been a few years but I'm wondering if a non-resident can still hunt moose in BC? Thinking of another hunting trip with my wife's Opa.
Before hunting in B.C. as a non-resident, you need the following:

A Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID)
You can create your own FWID and apply for credentials yourself or these can be done on your behalf by a licensed guide outfitter
Residency credentials and hunting credentials
A hunting credential is only required if you plan to hunt small game unaccompanied
A non-resident or non-resident alien hunting licence and applicable licences for those species you intend to hunt
Visit Hunting licences and Species licences for more information

You must have hired a guide outfitter, assistant guide outfitter or be named on a Permit to Accompany to hunt big game.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/non-resident-hunting

RackStar
12-26-2022, 08:09 AM
Yes you can hunt moose in GOS, not many left though.

Elkaddict
12-26-2022, 09:51 AM
If I recall correctly, on the Permit to Accompany application you are given space for three choices of regions and species to hunt. The COs/biologists may or may not approve a non-resident to hunt a specific species in a specific region depending on numbers and pressure. Having said that, I was never denied my first request.

WhiteTailAB
12-26-2022, 01:41 PM
Before hunting in B.C. as a non-resident, you need the following:

A Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID)
You can create your own FWID and apply for credentials yourself or these can be done on your behalf by a licensed guide outfitter
Residency credentials and hunting credentials
A hunting credential is only required if you plan to hunt small game unaccompanied
A non-resident or non-resident alien hunting licence and applicable licences for those species you intend to hunt
Visit Hunting licences and Species licences for more information

You must have hired a guide outfitter, assistant guide outfitter or be named on a Permit to Accompany to hunt big game.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/non-resident-hunting

Yes, if you read the thread earlier you'd see I did everything you mentioned AND shot a nice whietail with my wife's Opa.

I'm simply asking HBC if anything has changed since 2019 when I last hunted BC.

guntech
12-28-2022, 10:05 PM
Yes, if you read the thread earlier you'd see I did everything you mentioned AND shot a nice whietail with my wife's Opa.

I did read the thread.

You stated, "I'm wondering if a non-resident can still hunt moose in BC?"

Instead of simply answering "Yes", I stated what is required for a non-resident to hunt moose in BC.

Rackmastr
12-28-2022, 10:20 PM
Need to look at regional restrictions for PTAs as a lot has changed since 2019 in terms of some regions and the issuance of moose tags in them. Check the updated regional restrictions

huntingfamily
12-29-2022, 09:32 AM

The GOS hunts for moose in most of region 7B have been greatly reduced. 4 days total. So it depends where you are thinking of going.

Rackmastr
12-29-2022, 09:35 AM
The GOS hunts for moose in most of region 7B have been greatly reduced. 4 days total. So it depends where you are thinking of going.

Also, even though the majority of Region 6 is GOS, the PTA regional restrictions are now showing that no moose PTA's will be authorized for Reg 6. That was from Sep 2022 so will be interesting to see how things change, but they're changing rapidly no doubt.

2chodi
12-29-2022, 09:53 AM
Also, even though the majority of Region 6 is GOS, the PTA regional restrictions are now showing that no moose PTA's will be authorized for Reg 6. That was from Sep 2022 so will be interesting to see how things change, but they're changing rapidly no doubt.

I spoke to region 6 staff back in August and yes, PTAs for moose and caribou in region 6 are on hold until they figure out the impact of the new regs on moose and caribou in 7B in terms of shifting hunters to region 6. Anecdotally, I have heard that there was not a big influx of moose an caribou hunters to region 6. Gas prices maybe???

Rackmastr
12-29-2022, 10:24 AM
I spoke to region 6 staff back in August and yes, PTAs for moose and caribou in region 6 are on hold until they figure out the impact of the new regs on moose and caribou in 7B in terms of shifting hunters to region 6. Anecdotally, I have heard that there was not a big influx of moose an caribou hunters to region 6. Gas prices maybe???

Ya, a lot of anticipation of guys wondering what might happen in R6 (residents included). Cant say I was surprised about the PTA changes when I saw them. Thats interesting about the changes or movement of hunters to 6 last year. Gas certainly didnt help!

WhiteTailAB
04-24-2023, 01:56 PM
It looks like the area my wife's opa hunts moose is LEH/not open to non-resident OTC tags so I'm thinking of just buying deer tags again and perhaps a bear tag and going for thanksgiving.

Brez
04-24-2023, 08:42 PM
mountain goat?

It looks like the area my wife's opa hunts moose is LEH/not open to non-resident OTC tags so I'm thinking of just buying deer tags again and perhaps a bear tag and going for thanksgiving.

HappyJack
04-25-2023, 06:38 AM

Just a little north of Quesnel and spike fork moose are open....no leh required. FYI

WhiteTailAB
04-25-2023, 11:54 AM
mountain goat?

If he were much younger lol he is late 80s.

WhiteTailAB
04-25-2023, 11:56 AM
Just a little north of Quesnel and spike fork moose are open....no leh required. FYI

I saw that in the regs, what's it like in 7-8? Decent population?

WhiteTailAB
06-21-2023, 10:26 AM
Well permit to accompany is submitted as of this morning so now we wait. We'll be going back to Quesnel for Thanksgiving and it's her Opa's 90th birthday this year so it should be a great time. Hunting 5-13 again.

WhiteTailAB
07-24-2023, 08:30 AM
Man how long do these permits take these days? Took a month last time, been over a month this time. F'n govt workers lol

WhiteTailAB
08-21-2023, 08:13 AM
Looking for someone smarter than I am... Opa called and said someone from the Williams Lake fish and wildlife office called (about my/his permit) and told him that I can't hunt mule deer. So I look on the application (which hasn't been approved yet) and mule deer is no longer there but I know I selected it.

Since when can a non-resident not hunt mule deer bucks in 5-13 in October as I looked at the regs and I couldn't find anywhere saying I couldn't hunt mulies.

If someone has a page in the regs they can direct me to that would be much appreciated.

bighornbob
08-21-2023, 10:13 AM
Looking for someone smarter than I am... Opa called and said someone from the Williams Lake fish and wildlife office called (about my/his permit) and told him that I can't hunt mule deer. So I look on the application (which hasn't been approved yet) and mule deer is no longer there but I know I selected it.

Since when can a non-resident not hunt mule deer bucks in 5-13 in October as I looked at the regs and I couldn't find anywhere saying I couldn't hunt mulies.

If someone has a page in the regs they can direct me to that would be much appreciated.

Cant comment on your situation directly, but numbers could be down in that area or big fires went through there (last year or this year) or first nations don’t want non-residents in there with depleted populations. The government changes our Limited Entry regulations quotas last minute quite often with little regard to hunters. So don’t think non-residents would get any better treatment. BC resident hunters are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to our government in regards to quotas or access to hunt etc. I would like to think non-residents are below us in that regard, so that put you not even on the ladder.

BHB

WhiteTailAB
08-21-2023, 11:01 AM
Cant comment on your situation directly, but numbers could be down in that area or big fires went through there (last year or this year) or first nations don’t want non-residents in there with depleted populations. The government changes our Limited Entry regulations quotas last minute quite often with little regard to hunters. So don’t think non-residents would get any better treatment. BC resident hunters are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to our government in regards to quotas or access to hunt etc. I would like to think non-residents are below us in that regard, so that put you not even on the ladder.

BHB

Thanks, what you said makes sense. I think once I get the permit I will call and get clarification.

HappyJack
08-22-2023, 07:15 AM
Man how long do these permits take these days? Took a month last time, been over a month this time. F'n govt workers lol

I used to hunter host an Alberta hunter for mule deer in 7-10 so quite surprised to read that they are telling you no mule deer in 5-13? No idea where that came from.

But one time my permit to accompany wasn't coming in, after a couple months of waiting I had to get my MLA involved to get it issued. They had it ready three days later and one day before our hunt was to start. So don't wait too long to follow up why it's taking so long. I suspect there are some anti hunters working in those offices and it's being deliberately done.

WhiteTailAB
08-22-2023, 08:55 AM
Well my permit was approved yesterday so today I will be calling to see why mule deer was removed.

WhiteTailAB
08-22-2023, 09:20 AM
Uh so there's a reason, somewhere, somehow but the lady on the phone didn't know who what where or why and it's not in the regulations so I got her to get someone to email me so I'm now waiting for an email. She said something about some groups so probably some FNs made some decision like they always seem to do in BC.

HappyJack
08-24-2023, 09:35 AM
Uh so there's a reason, somewhere, somehow but the lady on the phone didn't know who what where or why and it's not in the regulations so I got her to get someone to email me so I'm now waiting for an email. She said something about some groups so probably some FNs made some decision like they always seem to do in BC.

Probably, let us know what you hear back.

WhiteTailAB
08-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Still waiting for the gubbermint to email/

In the meantime I bought my license. Hoping for another decent whitetail, if we see a mulie Opa will have to use his tag on that...

WhiteTailAB
10-02-2023, 07:35 AM
Well I never did hear about why they removed mule deer from my species to hunt, probably didn't want to admit they were racist by not letting a white non-resident hunt.

This week is the week, leaving early Thursday to head to Quesnel coming home Monday, hopefully with a full cooler.

BCbillies
10-02-2023, 12:41 PM

The last three years the permits have been approved in under a week! Couldn’t believe the level of service. Region 6 might be quicker than other areas plus it was for a species with limited population concerns.

WhiteTailAB
10-06-2023, 05:53 PM
The 257wby borked and down went a white tail. First couple hours of the first morning. Got him all vacuum sealed already.https://i.postimg.cc/nLP9nZ6v/20231006-083657.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/c4SgxF55/20231006-084125.jpg

RackStar
10-06-2023, 09:17 PM
Nice buck, congrats,

HappyJack
10-07-2023, 08:16 AM
Great buck!! Congrats

WhiteTailAB
10-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys!

WhiteTailAB
04-17-2024, 09:13 AM
We're likely going back to visit again this year which means I am probably going to hunt as long as Opa wants to hunt at 91 years old lol. I have a newer more comfortable truck which he can snooze in.

Have the new regs come out yet?