PDA

View Full Version : Spca

04-09-2019, 01:20 PM
My business used to make annual donations to the SPCA. I won't be doing that anymore.

https://spca.bc.ca/programs-services/leaders-in-our-field/position-statements/position-statement-on-hunting/?fbclid=IwAR2Zhp_y7nIkDFzUYt1dJkRP5-JbsSRB9j7sbfmJ7OZ-VWHPWr2dW3inHsA

Wild one
04-09-2019, 01:45 PM
They have been anti hunting & trapping for a long time

Grumpa Joe
04-09-2019, 01:52 PM
They have become a political organization as opposed to an animal rescue. Too bad, as there needs to be some organization that deals with domestic animal needs.

Iron Glove
04-09-2019, 02:01 PM
They do such a good job dealing with pets, animal abuse and such.
Too bad they have entered into the hunting debate.
Guess it's one of those "does the good outweigh the bad" things.

KBC
04-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Sad but true. The best dog I ever had came from the SPCA about 18 years ago.

caddisguy
04-09-2019, 02:28 PM
If I recall correctly, SPCA played a huge roll in getting their flock to fill out / send the web based email template to the government feedback address which ultimately was cited as the final justification to shut down the Grizzly hunt in BC.

DeepJeep
04-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Take a look at the research papers they are citing... Goes to show u the intellect of our researchers....

boxhitch
04-09-2019, 03:16 PM
SPCA 'peace officers' have some serious authorization when it comes to search and seizure
Can 'gestapo' still be said in this pc world

Wild one
04-09-2019, 03:16 PM

They definitely do good for pets 95% of the time. Unfortunately it’s not just a matter of them openly voicing the SPCA does not support hunting/trapping that I could grudgingly accept. The SPCA actually goes out of its way to attack hunting/trapping lobbying against trying to get it shut down at times.

Sadly they have step over the line even though they do good for pets

charlie_horse
04-09-2019, 03:19 PM
there isn't a pet on the planet worth supporting that letter.

Wild one
04-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Take a look at the research papers they are citing... Goes to show u the intellect of our researchers....

Its more like “it will cost you x amount and I will bend facts to meet whatever agenda you need” is what is happening in most cases.

DeepJeep
04-09-2019, 04:54 PM
^^ I agree

Ron.C
04-09-2019, 05:28 PM
They have been anti hunting & trapping for a long time

I personally know a guy who was denied a 3 year old dog because he said he was going to take it as a companion while hunting.

Pretty bloody sad. They denied a rescue dog the best home and life anyone could possible provide to a pet.

Wild one
04-09-2019, 05:37 PM
I personally know a guy who was denied a 3 year old dog because he said he was going to take it as a companion while hunting.

Pretty bloody sad. They denied a rescue dog the best home and life anyone could possible provide to a pet.

Not the first time I have heard stories like that. Similar story I know someone who was denied because the dog would be a companion for his wife in camp well he was out hunting.

Old rich guy I know used to donate 10k a year to the SPCA till they took on a strong anti stance

Deaddog
04-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Spca has lost its way and been taken over by a group that is dedicated to destroying the rural life style. Five million a year from gov. They use it to fund anti grizzly hunting,anti cat hunting, anti wolf kill. Better yet they now want to take over the cattle industry. Donating to the spca is the same as donating to raincoast.

tuner
04-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Why are people surprized by this? This anti hunting stance has been a long standing policy, they have never hidden
their motives from anyone, in fact it’s flaunted as a revenue generating tool. I’ve been telling them to pound sand for
years when approached for a donation due to their stance on hunting and their efforts to abolish it.

Ride Red
04-09-2019, 06:37 PM
It’s all monetary, otherwise nobody gives a shit about it.

tigrr
04-09-2019, 07:42 PM
It was posted in 2005 that SPCA euthanizes 1.5 million animals a year. I shoot 2 animals a year as a hunter. And I'm the bad guy.
Each year, approximately 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized (670,000 dogs and 860,000 cats).

Spy
04-09-2019, 07:56 PM
It was posted in 2005 that SPCA euthanizes 1.5 million animals a year. I shoot 2 animals a year as a hunter. And I'm the bad guy.
Each year, approximately 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized (670,000 dogs and 860,000 cats).
Great stats thanks I will use those every chance I get

Ride Red
04-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Those are US numbers. https://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics

Huevos
04-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Those numbers don't even include the ones they "murder" in Canada! (Gotta use harsh wording so it sinks in)

Ride Red
04-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Canada https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/cfhs/pages/427/attachments/original/1542135547/Humane_Canada_-_2017_Shelter_Statistics_-_FINAL.pdf?1542135547

Ride Red
04-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Those numbers don't even include the ones they "murder" in Canada! (Gotta use harsh wording so it sinks in)

They call us hunters killers, time to turn it back on them.

BeastX
04-10-2019, 07:56 PM
To put the Spca down further, I once had my champion bloodline dog, 10 year old Toby, unnecessarily and unreasonably taken by the SPCA due to a limping leg. Though he had never broken any bone or torn any ligament, prior to his seizure, I was treating his leg by giving him pain medication each day so as to avoid surgery. Surgery can be stressful and no guarantee to heal his leg. Each winter, he would have this limping leg problem due to the cold, otherwise it would heal by itself when weather got warmer. The winter he was taken was no different. To this day, I don't know where he is, how his leg is, or how he is doing. I don't even know if he was put down or not due to his limping leg. If I was this bad, how come they only took my one dog and not the rest of my dogs?

scoutlt1
04-10-2019, 08:21 PM
The SPCA is now just another "organization" of left wing, self serving, taxpayer funded, politically motivated dimwits who are pushing their anti hunting/gun agenda (same smell as the BCTF for example).
I lost any respect I had for them years ago.

Sure, they do some good work for stray animals.....just like there are some good teachers.

I had a wonderful experience a few years ago. Came across a sick pooch. Looked like he had a been through a rough time. I took care of him for a bit, but there was no way I could keep him at that time. Took him to the local SPCA (Abbotsford). After a brief discussion with the young lady at the desk I said (something like) "Once this guy gets back to normal, he'll make a great hunting dog for someone". She suddenly turned pale, her eyes went wide, and she said (stuttered)..."sir, we don't give dogs to people so they can kill other animals".

knothead
04-10-2019, 09:20 PM
My wife and I tried to adopt a dog from the SPCA a while back and gave up after learning of the rigamarole that had to be put up with to jump through their hoops.
They said they would have to do three home visits to inspect the property(had to be fully fenced) and meet all of the people that would be living in the home and they all had to be there for all visits.
On top of that it would be around $500 in fees.

whitlers
04-10-2019, 11:01 PM
My wife and I tried to adopt a dog from the SPCA a while back and gave up after learning of the rigamarole that had to be put up with to jump through their hoops.
They said they would have to do three home visits to inspect the property(had to be fully fenced) and meet all of the people that would be living in the home and they all had to be there for all visits.
On top of that it would be around $500 in fees.

I went through the same shit show. They said I couldn't adopt from them because I wanted to leave my dog outside during the summer while I'm at work....it's a dog with a 1/4 acre of yard to play in. What gives?

Ended up adopting a dog from Mexico by donation. Have had her for 3 years and shes the best damn dog I have had yet. Extremely loyal, intelligent and healthy.

BRvalley
04-11-2019, 09:47 AM
their policy has been that way since at least 2011....I was approved for adoption and scheduled to pick up a redbone coonhound, I took 2 days vacation and drove from Chetwynd to Van, made the mistake of mentioning hunting, while standing in their office they "found a more appropriate home".....they did not reply to my requests for another couple of adoptions, can only guess I'm blacklisted

very frustrating to see that same coonhound returned and relisted twice over the next little while

before I relocated to Chetwynd I was on a 14x14 schedule while living in Van, I offered to volunteer on my days off, they said they would only accept "weekly commitments from serious volunteers" and suggested a donation would be greatly appreciated

I mentioned my experience to the SPCA in PG, and they acknowledged that the northern SPCA offices are more hunter friendly....but I will never support nor donate to them again

Bugle M In
04-11-2019, 10:07 AM
My wife stopped donating as well.
She used to donate every year, as a gift to a friend at her birthday time, who is a big animal lover.
(But, she also is an animal activist, and a vegan)

Turns out she was a dick of a friend (or is that a twat??).
So my wife stopped and I had told her the SPCA was "Anti-Hunting".

I said if you want to do some good in the world.
Then Donate to Children's Hospital and at the same time buy a lottery ticket for their cause.

Do not support SPCA if you are a hunter.
Sad but true.

Iron Glove
04-11-2019, 12:10 PM

The BC SPCA euthanized in 2018 a grand total of 2,213 pets which represents @ 11% of the intake. Of that 2018, the majority were classed as Unhealthy and Untreatable. Sounds reasonable to me.
Not defending the SPCA "anti" hunting stance, just trying to put the alleged "murder" of pets in perspective.
Again, very disappointed with their stance on hunting but that has to be weighed against all the good things that they do for the welfare of pets.
It's kinda like any Election - the Party of choice rarely, if ever has a platform that anyone can back 100%.

Bugle M In
04-11-2019, 12:45 PM
The BC SPCA euthanized in 2018 a grand total of 2,213 pets which represents @ 11% of the intake. Of that 2018, the majority were classed as Unhealthy and Untreatable. Sounds reasonable to me.
Not defending the SPCA "anti" hunting stance, just trying to put the alleged "murder" of pets in perspective.
Again, very disappointed with their stance on hunting but that has to be weighed against all the good things that they do for the welfare of pets.
It's kinda like any Election - the Party of choice rarely, if ever has a platform that anyone can back 100%.

It is unfortunate that a group like the SPCA, who does the best they can, has to also get into the political side of things rather than just stick to what their main goal is.
There's a big difference between "protection of pets" (from cats/dogs to horses/livestock) that are owned
by the average person and that of "harvesting wild game".

Completely separate issues, but they cant get it thru their heads.
So, let the Anti's support them.
I won't.

MattW
04-11-2019, 01:20 PM
It disgusts me that SPCA is given authority and enforcement powers while simultaneously holding an agenda beyond upholding the law as it stands. They are anti-hunting for sure and they are no friends of farming either. If I have a cow that is having any health issues, even if putting her on the pasture for some respite would be the best thing for her, I can't do so because someone might see her and the SPCA will be called. When they arrive there is no explaining the situation and that it's being dealt with, just penalties and follow up inspections. No laws are being broken and the cow is not suffering, rather she's recovering, but they find a way to hassle and penalize because they have an anti-farming stance.

338win mag
04-11-2019, 01:46 PM
It disgusts me that SPCA is given authority and enforcement powers while simultaneously holding an agenda beyond upholding the law as it stands. They are anti-hunting for sure and they are no friends of farming either. If I have a cow that is having any health issues, even if putting her on the pasture for some respite would be the best thing for her, I can't do so because someone might see her and the SPCA will be called. When they arrive there is no explaining the situation and that it's being dealt with, just penalties and follow up inspections. No laws are being broken and the cow is not suffering, rather she's recovering, but they find a way to hassle and penalize because they have an anti-farming stance.
If your neighbors are aware that you keep a good farm and practice good "husbandry" then you shouldn't have a problem and if someone does call the SPCA and they show up I'm sure they will understand once they see whats going on.

On the other hand there are those that I see who.....feed their animals moldy hay when they get around to it, dropping calves in minus 20-30 temps with no straw, shelter whatsoever, dead calves laying around until the eagles/vultures eat them, and the other farmers in the area are concerned because it makes them look bad because they take care of their animals, I have seen that.

The SPCA needs a reality check if they are going to continue on the anti path as they dont have any business being political in any way. If they are getting 5 mil from the provincial government annually then that explains alot as they can live with a dip in private funding, 5 mil is almost what this pathetic government puts into wildlife initiatives.

Foxton Gundogs
04-11-2019, 02:15 PM
The SPCA lost my support years ago when they refused to sell (they call it adopt) an obviously trained Lab to a friend because he answered truthfully and told them he was a hunter. They want to know what cruelty is, it is not letting a dog do what it was born, bred and trained to do. I'm done with them PERIOD this is just one more nail in their coffin for me.

IronNoggin
04-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Some here are aware that my Lady and I have been rearing, training and living with Wolf Hybrids for well over 3 decades.
A handful of years after we moved south to BC, the SPCA decided they were going to declare such hybrids as "inherently dangerous" and therefore persona non grata in BC.
Between ourselves and a handful of buddies, the legal team we enrgaged convinced them of the foolishness of that direction.
And they reluctantly withdrew.

Since then I have had occasion to directly witness their anti-hunting positions, and their obsessive drive to keep dogs bred to the sport from hunting.

We lost all faith in them many many years ago.
Now our efforts are being re-directed to get their "head biologist" removed from her RP-Bio status as she is FAR from a an "unbiased scientist"...

Cheers,
Nog

digger dogger
04-12-2019, 06:54 AM
When I ran hounds, I had the SPCA try and play games with me, licences, kennels, dental. Anything they could try and fine me for.
I never got any fines. The last time they drove up my driveway, I told the lady she just got all my dog a death sentence.

" I do this for fun, and you are playing shitty games.
I don't play games, and if you ever come on my property again, I promise you these dogs will go for one last ride, remember it's legal for me to destroy my dogs quickly and painlessly."

The SPCA, and the peace officer stopped playing games.

weatherby_man
04-12-2019, 07:24 AM
It is unfortunate that a group like the SPCA, who does the best they can, has to also get into the political side of things rather than just stick to what their main goal is.
There's a big difference between "protection of pets" (from cats/dogs to horses/livestock) that are owned
by the average person and that of "harvesting wild game".

Completely separate issues, but they cant get it thru their heads.
So, let the Anti's support them.
I won't.

Yes, totally agree they should keep out of political issues. Stick to caring for and where necessary intervening on behalf of abused animals.

Island Roo
04-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Its not black and white for me.
The SPCA does good work and they are significant force in society to control cruelty.
I will continue to work with and finance their work.
I have to agree with a lot of what is said in this thread but I'm not going to black-list every person/entity because I'm not in 100% agreement with everything they do.
They need guidance to get them focussed back on their primary mission.

labguy
04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Its not black and white for me.
The SPCA does good work and they are significant force in society to control cruelty.
I will continue to work with and finance their work.
I have to agree with a lot of what is said in this thread but I'm not going to black-list every person/entity because I'm not in 100% agreement with everything they do.
They need guidance to get them focussed back on their primary mission.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

X-2.....well said.

04-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Several years ago we wanted to adopt a lovely lab from Langley SPCA. Things were moving along quite well. In the final strokes of getting the dog....i asked if the dog had ever been used for hunting...i mentioned he was going to love waterfoul hunting.
That was when they said No, you can not adopt the handsome lab named Ozzy. We dont allow people to adopt for hunting.
I stated he would be far more a family dog then a hunter. Nope. No way.
Yes they do some good things for abused animals...... But ...... To you directly SPCA.......get your heads out of the sand.
Some of your policies on adoption are Pathetic. Many breeds of dogs make and live for Hunting purposes.
That said we got a wonderful Golden ...... Named him Ozzy because we were taken in by that Black Lab looking to be adopted......
They likely put the lab down.......
I wont be donating any funds to the SPCA.......not until this Stupid policy is removed.

Iron Glove
04-12-2019, 10:41 AM
They likely put the lab down.......

Unlikely they put the dog down.
The vast majority of dogs put down by the SPCA are a result of them being unhealthy and untreatable.
Agree that the "no hunting" deal is stupid, basically then they are encouraging prospective owners to lie.

elch jager
04-12-2019, 10:42 AM
That policy statement rubbed me the wrong way, so I had to send them a quick email...

Here is what I got in return.... hope they don't come to my house to remove my hunting dog because I dared speak out to them.

Seems to me they believe that they know better than provincial wildlife biologists who actually determine policy and regulations for hunting in BC. Does not seem they will be open to discussion or revision of the policy statement.

Raincoast's Darimont is referenced in the footnotes, so that may give you a clue as to the agenda that is behind them. If they put their faith in biased researchers like CT Darimont, then they may not be open to accepting research from other sources.

Could it be they are overrun with leftist millennials at the BCSPCA?

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2019-04-11 3:34 PM (GMT-08:00)
To:
Subject: Re: Position statement on hunting

Hi Steven,
Thank you for your email, and taking the time to write to us. Protecting and enhancing the quality of life for wild animals (and of course domestic and farm animals) has always been part of our mission work.

I can appreciate that we may not agree on all aspects of hunting, but please know that our position statement on hunting (first published 2009) has always supported subsistence hunting carried out in an ethical, humane, responsible and sustainable manner by qualified and experienced hunters. I understand that our position statement (https://spca.bc.ca/programs-services/leaders-in-our-field/position-statements/position-statement-on-hunting/) has lately been shared widely on social media, though we are not actively running any hunting-related campaigns, and the statement has not been modified since revision in 2017.

The BC SPCA has staff wildlife biologists ranging from BSc, MSc, PhD and RPBio working in our Science & Policy division, who work on all our provincial wildlife initiatives. For example, our Chief Scientific Officer has more than 20 years experience in wildlife biology, previously conducted grizzly bear research with Parks Canada, and worked a summer with the Ministry on the LEH and other hunting management activities.

Thank you again for reaching out, and for caring about wild animals in B.C.

All the best,
Erin Ryan
Specialist, Research Communications
BC SPCA Science & Policy Division
1245 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver BC V5T 1R1
t. 604.681.7271 extension 1448
c. 604.363.8630 • erinryan@spca.bc.ca • spca.bc.ca (http://www.spca.bc.ca/)

Sent: April-11-19 12:42 PM
To: BC SPCA info@spca.bc.ca <info@spca.bc.ca>
Subject: New submission from Contact Us

Name

Email

City

Port Coquitlam

Phone

Subject of your inquiry

Feedback & Concerns

Would you like an emailed response to your message?

Yes

Your Message

Your policy statement on hunting is almost entirely erroneous and relies on a very narrow view that is perpetuated by individuals with questionable credentials known to have a very public anti hunting agenda. I suggest you research a broader range of scientific studies from more tenured experts. I have shared your policy with all contacts in and supportive of hunting. All donations from this channel will no doubt cease until your policy statement changes to reflect sound balanced scientific research.

https://u4018253.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/open?upn=VxlAuX98jGTImtRfy8qSMgv5jOJuJ-2FVF4Ito0f-2FAxPYbqE-2F7ZoR42-2FxAqz7LNZWLz55fJZQlbiqL6fmoNSc0xhXjD8LepOz-2BrVSucDq9pDSAuJyKnNctFYgdnqhcmsyjlQssY05fTRyrkA5T 7jOAP5VFiZBzKYbwUz4tPfqBWlF1oe8opZ-2BpBTNsAsg1GKgoUVse-2B2UqbcXXeVAIkj4Z-2Fw-3D-3D

Rob Chipman
04-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Nice work, elch jager.

They always say the you can't have a serious conversation about anything if you don't agree on some basic definitions. In fact, not agreeing on definitions is pretty much a sign of bad faith.

What, exactly, is "subsistence hunting"? Is that the same thing that I do when I shoot something and put it in my freezer? Or is that something that First Nations do?

What is "ethical"? Is that "ethical" as commonly agreed upon by the hunting community, as in regulated by law and informed by science?

What is "qualified"?

Other questions are:

Why does the hunter have to be experienced? Do you mean there can't be new hunters?

Who is your Chief Scientific Officer?

What's the relationship between ethics and hunting? I know Chris Darimont and understand that when he says "ethics" he means, by and large, a utilitarian approach to the world, and that is not a community wide view of ethics, but rather a personal preference.

Thanks for the info and the email address. Given that the SPCA has responded I think some additional (civil) communication is in order. I'll try to contact her and share the results.

Modeltwelve
04-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Their anti hunting, always have been, how can anyone not know this. Giving them any support is the same as shooting yourself in the foot. They've never gotten a penny from me.