PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope/Range Finder

Sooke Hunter
09-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Going to Princeton in October for some good ol spot & stock huntin. Need to get a spotting scope/range finder....just because. Any ideas?:lol:

Steeleco
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
How much you planning on spending? Spend the most you can afford you'll only need to do it once if you do it right the first time.

What kind of distances you planning on ranging? I have a Leupold RXII good past any range I feel comfortable shooting!!

If I could afford a spotter it would be: http://www.spottingscopes.com/spotting-scopes/bird-watching-spotting-scopes/leupoldsportsopticsgoldenring1240x60hdspottingscop ebrown.cfm

todbartell
09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
your budget will determine your equipment

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Check out ebay for the Leopold TBR rangefinders. My buddy just ordered one for a pretty damn good price.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
09-20-2007, 09:01 AM
The million dollar question is;
"Are you getting a straight or angled objective scope?"
And why

fozzy
09-21-2007, 02:09 AM
I picked up a spotting scope and range finder earlier this year. I ended up getting them both from camera land in Ny. They have a good website. The cost savings on the spotting scope compared to buying it up here was enough to pay for the range finder which was also cheaper than up here. The scope I got is a PentaxPF80ED and Leica1200 range finder. I did a ton of research and have been very happy with both. There was one other spotting scope that was very close in quality and waay cheaper with an awesome warranty, Celestron 80Ed. I took a trip to Vancouver and went to the telescope place there.
My previouse spotting scope was a bushnel H2o, it was a gift so I had no chance for input into that purchase. After having gone down that road it's better to spend some bucks on optics.

When looking through a scope in the prone position a angled one is nicer on the neck. I think finding an object with a straight one is easier.

You're welcome to have a look through it for a comparison if you like seeing you're from Sooke. PM me if you want.