PDA

View Full Version : 10' jon boat must haves

RDM
04-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Getting a 10' jon boat built

What custom things are must haves for the boat?

Cheers

Rieber
04-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Main seat on a swivel. Comfortable seat. Raised oar locks, light but good quality oars, Anchor pullers, 2-12# anchors, removable transport wheels, removable carpeted floor boards, Cup holders, rod holders, quality fish finder. Carpet covered bench seats to keep things quiet. discrete pissing container.

lovemywinchester
04-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Everything Rieber said plus these items. I use one seat on the back bench and a raised seat in the middle bench. One thing about the 10 ft is its very low seat height. It can be tough on the knees after a while so being up in the middle is important for a comfortable day. The back seat I keep low for balance. A seat in the back will save your back if you are moving a long distance to change spots. A 40lb Minn Kota and a small gas are very important to me for getting around. I have a 3 hp yamaha. Tank in the top. Works great. Plus a battery for the motor. Look at picking up a magnetic transducer mount for your graph. Very handy for packing up.

Danny_29
04-08-2019, 10:34 AM
I've got one all decked out for sale if anyone is interested.

huntcoop
04-08-2019, 11:42 AM
What Rieber said!

RDM
04-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Do you use mounted seats or a seat clamp?
As for flush mount anchors,one in the center front and one on either side at the back or is one sufficient at the back?
Fish finders? portable unit that mounts on outside of boat with transducer attached on pole

ZacNap
04-08-2019, 12:54 PM
9.9 opened up to a 15hp....

Danny_29
04-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Two anchors are an absolute must for fly fishing

ian745
04-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Do you use mounted seats or a seat clamp?
As for flush mount anchors,one in the center front and one on either side at the back or is one sufficient at the back?
Fish finders? portable unit that mounts on outside of boat with transducer attached on pole

i use the clamp style, till i figured out where i`m gonna sit more.lol, and for the fish finder, i bought one at costco for under 150 and it has the attachement to add it to the bottom of your electric motor, it works pretty good, only get weird readings in shallow weedy water, other then that it works great

RDM
04-09-2019, 06:53 AM
What type of anchors?
Triangle,Mushroom, lots of choices

Two anchors are an absolute must for fly fishing

Rieber
04-09-2019, 07:23 AM
What type of anchors?
Triangle,Mushroom, lots of choices

I've tried nearly everything but always stop after I buy the lead pyramid anchors. Few local guys cast some nice products but be sure to buy quality rope. You only have to buy good quality once. Bruce (Firstlight) can hook you up with great rope and you'll just buy it once for that boat. I've bought a few rope sets from Bruce over the years for various boats - never a complaint even when used in those Scottty anchor pullers/holders.

RDM
04-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the ideas.
Pyramid anchors seem hard to find.

Fish finder will need some investigating as well

donny.brooke
04-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Pyramid anchors at Trout Water Supplies are easy to find lol.

Danny_29
04-09-2019, 11:23 AM
I mostly do still waters and have two chunks of stock cut and painted with a chain link welded to the top. Works good. Also used a heavier mushroom for a while but got sick of the extra weight.

ekul246
04-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Two anchors is great. I put one right side front and left side rear. Made my own anchors with concrete, couple of buckets and lifting rings. About 20lbs each approximately. Haven't weighed them.
Perfect.

RDM
04-15-2019, 03:12 PM
How many pound thrust electric motor?

guntech
04-15-2019, 03:36 PM
4 more feet.

10 foot is very tippy. Wear your life jacket.

donny.brooke
04-15-2019, 04:02 PM
4 more feet.

Depends on what 10 footer you have, Lowe 10 footer or similiar hell ya, Journey, Spratley or Flymaster are super stable. Stand on the gunnel and it wont tip over stable.

TexasWalker
04-15-2019, 04:04 PM
4 more feet.

This is dependant on width though, the new 1040 him boats are wide and very stable.
It'd be tough to flip one.

guntech
04-18-2019, 08:21 AM
Regardless of reputation I would sure check it out in shallow water.

Two of us in were upside down in the middle of a remote lake a few years ago. We were very lucky it was warm.

Rieber
04-18-2019, 09:57 AM
A 1032 is horribly unstable and if you had 2 good sized men in most 10' jons, you're over the rated limit anyways.

I can't imagine tipping over in a 10 Spratley even with the seat up high - they're very stable tanks. Heavy though.

Flipping a boat in the middle of a lake, well that's one of my nightmares. Glad you got to safety before the worst could happen.

ryanonthevedder
04-20-2019, 01:54 PM
I bailed out of my 1032 once before but I ve also had it out in white caps with 2 fat guys inside with confidence. I was drunk when I fell out though. Wider boats are well worth the money imo. Paint 1’ marks on your anchor rope so you can see how deep without a sounder. Sounders are nice though. Some seat with a back is a MUST. Stadium is best for moving stuff around in a small rig.

Loved my 1032. So light and portable.... so tippy.... the fish didn’t care though.

REMINGTON JIM
04-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Buddy has a 1032 i borrowed after FOOLISHLY :tongue: selling my 11 ft FLY Fisherman to monashee mountain man BEN on here - The 1032 Jon boat is the most DANGEROUS boat i have EVER fished out of NEXT to a Canoe ! Extremely tippy ! Yikes ! RJ

stinkyduck
04-20-2019, 09:28 PM
4 more feet.

You got that right, my dad saved his fishing partner one day. He showed up to fish and wayne was in the water holding on to his boat. said he almost let go a few times, was in the fall. was sitting on a lawn chair and leaned over to the side and down he went. After getting a new dog that grew to 110 pounds, I to needed a bigger boat, bought a 14 foot lund, on a trailer, always ready to fish. At least buy the extra wide models.

sames14
04-23-2019, 01:35 PM
The new Lowe 1040 is pretty sturdy. Light and priced low too.

Iron Glove
04-23-2019, 01:43 PM
The new Lowe 1040 is pretty sturdy. Light and priced low too.

Our Son bought one last year, loves it.
He finds it reasonably sturdy with 2 adults and a small kid on board.
Has fished in small mountain Lakes, Lake Osoyoos and even crab and prawn fishing off Porteau Cove.

RDM
04-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Picked up my new Fly Master 10` last week
Awesome boat. Very happy with it.
50lb minn kota does awesome

Already hooked into some nice fish

IslandWanderer
04-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Sell it and buy a canoe...

Danny_29
04-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Had the plug fail on mine last weekend. Never seen a guy haul up two anchors faster lol

So I'd add a spare plug to the must have list haha

backstrap
04-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Hard to beat the Marlon’s, 110lbs for the 10fter and a more stable boat you won’t find. Handles two adults leaning over to release fish no problem. It’s not as well built as a spratley or a journey but mines 3 years old and has taken a beating with no leaks and it’s waaaay lighter. The benches suck though so I just made floor boards and sit on good folding lawn chairs with the side tables and cup holders. I also like having a removable bracket over the gunnel of the boat to hold the oars on the outside of the boat instead of inside. A good wood or other floating net with a big flat fine mesh or rubber bag is a must too. Way better than jamming an 8lber in an upside down wizards hat.

Firstblood
04-28-2019, 09:04 PM
If youre going tent footer as has been mentioned, Lowe, tracker and the 1032/1040 boats are a solo boat, no standing up, no big waves, lakes only, no rivers or ocean, and not a ton of capacity before things get really sketch. Made the mistake of shooting my ten gauge off the side, nearly tipper the boat over. I trust canoes a lot more than a 10' jon unless its a journey, marlon or spratly. Flat bottoms dont take waves well, a big boat wake can put water over the gunwales and if you fall over in one, its likely to tip the entire boat over.