PDA

View Full Version : Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Drewtini
04-07-2019, 10:12 AM
G'day all,

I'm moving up to the Kamloops area this year after having spent the last few years hunting around Reg 8 where the Grizzlies are less common. I anticipate most of my hunting to be in Regions 3 & 5 and wonder what you lot carry for bear protection. If you don't carry anything, why not? Are there areas that Grizz tend to avoid?

I'm considering picking up a shorty 12g for my hunts, but if I can avoid the extra weight I'd be thrilled as I prefer hike-in hunting. I'd love to keep the weight down and carry a spray can but I understand them to be less effective on Grizzly than Blacks.

Thanks for any insights!

BCHunterFSJ
04-07-2019, 10:15 AM
What's wrong with just carrying your hunting rifle??

Jagermeister
04-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Bow hunting?

Wild one
04-07-2019, 10:25 AM
I don’t carry bear protection anywhere myself. Grizzlies(any bears) should be given respect but if you use your brain and be aware odds of a issue are low in my opinion. I hunt/fish a fair number of locations with moderate to higher grizzly numbers

If it makes you more comfortable to have bear protection have at it but not really a must

As for region 3 grizzly are around but in most of the region you would have to put in effort to seek them out to see one.

Region 5 has MUs with higher grizzly numbers but there is lots of MUs that don’t hold much for grizzly

There is MUs in both regions with grizzly numbers that are worth taking note they are around but lots of MUs it would not be likely to see one

mpotzold
04-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Most of our hunting is in Reg. 5 & some in 3 nowadays. A properly loaded GG 45/70 is hard to beat for grizz protection. It's fairly light, fast, accurate & easy to use especially with open sights.
A Rossi Ranch Hand .44 mag is another option. It weighs less than 5 lbs & with the right load will out penetrate the Defender using slugs.

Bear spray may or may not work on a curious bear. Why take a chance?

sako79
04-07-2019, 11:44 AM
I use my 1895TSBL or my grizzly 12.5" 12 gauge

Stillhunting
04-07-2019, 12:01 PM
I see more grizz in 8 than 3, but still very low odds of an encounter. Where abouts in region 3 are you planning on hunting. This will determine your odds of seeing grizz. Region 5 has some denser grizz pops for sure but again depends on specific areas.

Danny_29
04-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Just strap a can to your belt, weighs nothing, and is just as effective as a rifle. This is what I do when bow hunting and luckily have only been close to using it.

Dour
04-07-2019, 12:34 PM
500 s&w Single shot. It puts holes in things

IronNoggin
04-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Just strap a can to your belt, weighs nothing, and is just as effective as a rifle.

Your extreme lack of experience is shining through again... ;)

Having been directly involved with testing bear spray on both grizzlies and black bears, I can assure you that I personally will NEVER rely on it to deter any bear. Especially large dominant boars whose reaction to attack the source was just common enough as to be very worrying. :shock:

Suggesting that spray "is just as effective as a rifle" is the opinion of one who has never been there. :roll:

I will pack my rifle, or a short double shotgun loaded with slugs thank you very much.

Cheers,
Nog

mpotzold
04-07-2019, 01:08 PM
[quote=ironnoggin;2084919]your extreme lack of experience is shining through again... ;)

having been directly involved with testing bear spray on both grizzlies and black bears, i can assure you that i personally will never rely on it to deter any bear. Especially large dominant boars whose reaction to attack the source was just common enough as to be very worrying. :shock:

Suggesting that spray "is just as effective as a rifle" is the opinion of one who has never been there. :roll:

I will pack my rifle, or a short double shotgun loaded with slugs thank you very much.

Cheers,

Hear,Hear!:smile:

Piperdown
04-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Having been directly involved with testing bear spray on both grizzlies and black bears, I can assure you that I personally will NEVER rely on it to deter any bear. Especially large dominant boars whose reaction to attack the source was just common enough as to be very worrying. :shock:

Cheers,
Nog

I thought you had ole D29 on ignore my friend :)

IronNoggin
04-07-2019, 02:18 PM
I thought you had ole D29 on ignore my friend :)

I did, until someone who will remain nameless pm'd to note he was again spewing about what he really doesn't know or understand (surprise surprise) again. Since I am somewhat experienced in this matter, I decided to take a boo. Quick reply, and back to the dungeon with his compatriots he went...

Cheers,
Nog

REMINGTON JIM
04-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Just strap a can to your belt, weighs nothing, and is just as effective as a rifle. This is what I do when bow hunting and luckily have only been close to using it.

YEA you BET your LUCKY ! Because one Day your gonna find out just how USELESS spray can be against a Predatory Bear or a MOM bear with Cubs ! And to SUGGEST to people that spray is just as EFFECTIVE as a Gun ?? is really IGNORANT on your part ! You trying to get people KILLED ?? What kinda GUN are you comparing it too - BB - Pellet Gun ?? RJ

338win mag
04-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Why are you guys trying to stop D29 from just carrying spray...:lol:

Boner
04-07-2019, 03:28 PM
I did, until someone who will remain nameless pm'd to note he was again spewing about what he really doesn't know or understand (surprise surprise) again. Since I am somewhat experienced in this matter, I decided to take a boo. Quick reply, and back to the dungeon with his compatriots he went...

Cheers,
Nog

The spewings a given. Someone took time out of their day to PM you he’s doing that? Yeah right. You just opened Pandora’s box. And you saw what you thought you were going to see. More BS. :)

IronNoggin
04-07-2019, 03:38 PM
The spewings a given. Someone took time out of their day to PM you he’s doing that? Yeah right. You just opened Pandora’s box. And you saw what you thought you were going to see. More BS. :)

Your tinfoil hat needs a little adjusting it would seem. :lol:

Some of us actually do have friends.
Alien concept?? https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Wild one
04-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Your tinfoil hat needs a little adjusting it would seem. :lol:

Some of us actually do have friends.
Alien concept?? https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Just because you wave at someone as you leave the beer store does not make them your friend :mrgreen:

IronNoggin
04-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Just because you wave at someone as you leave the beer store does not make them your friend :mrgreen:

SHHHHH!!!! :lol:

Nog

BRrooster
04-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Don't bow hunt much anymore , but if I did I would carry my 12G pump with home grown 000 Buck at hand. In fact , it is actually with me anytime I go out to the woods. Out of sight , but in mind. I usually load, one shot shell, one buck shot, one slug, then one more 000 buck. When I'm rifle hunting , I have my hunting load and some heavy hitters in , say, nickel plated cases, easy to identify.
Havent seen many Grizz , but have seen tracks that were very very fresh and could swear that I could smell him.

moosecamp
04-07-2019, 04:00 PM

He's got beer. Friend

Wild one
04-07-2019, 04:04 PM
He's got beer. Friend

I guess the old temporary friend rule could apply in this situation :razz:

mpotzold
04-07-2019, 04:14 PM
No doubt shotgun using slugs or even buckshot has stopped many attacks but there are better alternatives. Had a lengthy conversation with Randy Garrett on stopping a grizz charge & according to Randy you need a bullet that penetrates well & stays in 1 piece.
I do have a defender loaded with 3" mag brenneke that I occasionally use for camp protection & retrieving game.

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Nog and RJ have it down pat. Pepper is for AFTER the bear is on the grill before you eat it NOT for while the bear is trying to eat you. A big bore and good bullets or at least a a 12 ga with GOOD quality SLUGS. Leave the pepper in the spice rack.

Big Lew
04-07-2019, 04:23 PM

Cheers,
Nog

Most whole heartedly agree!! I've also done testing with magnum bear spray and I would not
depend on it, period. Yes, under some circumstances it will deter a bear, but in most cases when
a bear is aggressive or in full charge even getting a shot off with a firearm is hard to do let alone
using a spray.

Frango
04-07-2019, 05:13 PM
I do carry bear spray unless I am hiking with my bad knees partner then not.

Rotorwash
04-07-2019, 06:16 PM
i carry mono 250gr bullets or cast lead 405s in my 4570 when I'm calling or working when I'm working alone in the bush. but while hunting i just carry my usual hunting setup. I've flattened big black bears with my 270. Just put it in the right spot when when the time comes

REMINGTON JIM
04-07-2019, 06:17 PM

LMFFAO ! Nice GUY you are ! Let the Cripple get EATEN ! :razz: RJ

Boner
04-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Awe cripes. I was counting on those guys! :D

silvertipp
04-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Hey that's border line eligal in BC
you can't bait them

RyoTHC
04-07-2019, 08:22 PM
Spend several nights a week all year long in the bush of region 3, never an issue. I carry nothing but my firearm if it's legal season I have a tag. Otherwise I keep my wits about me.

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Hey All
When in the hills i always pack protection. Sometimes my 45-70 sometimes my defender loaded with slugs , And in my R.V ,on my qaud and in my truck there is always bear spray

mpotzold
04-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Spend several nights a week all year long in the bush of region 3, never an issue. I carry nothing but my firearm if it's legal season I have a tag. Otherwise I keep my wits about me.

Reg 3-31 on the way to Gang -grizz walking very slowly across a pond saw us but didn't react. Also saw black bears, coyotes & a wolf in the same area.
https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/Bear%20by%20pond_zpsuh01fuac.png~original

Same Region but closer to Fraser Eve spots a grizz lying down beside the large rock. We both thought it was a cow but when approached he ran off quickly until reaching the tree by the bank on the right before standing up to sniff the air & show us his large daggers. First time I saw a grizz in the open prairie. Have it on a video somewhere.

https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN0452.jpg~original

mpotzold
04-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Continued
now in Region 5-03
Facing North-Gaspard Creek-not too far from Gaspard Lake-lots of black bears in the area but only 1 grizz encounter.
https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/022-1.jpg~original

Facing South- great black bear, moose & deer country.

https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/023.jpg~original

Danny_29
04-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Holy. Touchy subject I guess. Everything I've read suggests spray and a rifle are just as effective. Everybody needs to relax plenty of hikers every year use bear spray effectively. I take spray because it's lighter that is it.

How effective is a rifle or shotgun on your back when your sneaking through the bush with your bow in your hand?

Danny_29
04-07-2019, 11:48 PM
since 1992, persons encountering grizzlies and
defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons
defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured
experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries. Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero
reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury from
a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used.

Just sayin.

walks with deer
04-08-2019, 08:41 AM
I have seen three grizzlies in three but have shot some pretty aggresive black bears in region two three and 7a.

seen many grizzly`s in 5 (bella coola)

and 4 in region 8

If i know there is a problem bear i normally go for him with my 458 win mag with a 400 grain trophy bonded. they die on impact.. lol

303savage
04-08-2019, 09:55 AM
I've been close to Grizzlys 3 times. First one was near Bella Coola at about 30 yds. and 2 north of Blue River .
One was just walking up the road in front of where I was camped, the other one walked up beside my truck when I was cooking supper on the tailgate. I think it was planning on telling how it wanted it's steak cooked until it seen me cooking. When it left I was surprised at how fast they could cover the ground.

jac
04-08-2019, 10:12 AM
I carry Bear spray it’s cheap and it’s on my belt when I’m in the woods I carry it when hunting, scouting or checking trail cams.

Rob Chipman
04-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Danny_29:

"Holy. Touchy subject I guess. Everything I've read suggests spray and a rifle are just as effective."

"Read" and "suggests" being the operative words.

Herrero thinks spray is effective, as do many others. Gary Shelton has other things you can read that would indicate the contrary.

What do you know from personal experience or from people you know and trust?

My personal experience is that grizzlies and black bears are scared/unaware of me. I hope it stays that way (check Rinella and his amended desires about grizzly encounters - they changed when he experienced one up close and personal).

People I know and trust? There are lots.

I know of a guy who put a couple shotgun rounds into a young charging grizzly that had just received and run through a face full of bear spray. That bear was very hungry and was charging a group of guys who had been making plenty of noise (they were working, not hunting). It shouldn't have been charging a group of people in the first place, and it should have bailed when it got a can full of bear spray in the face, but it didn't.

The same guy who shot the bear has had plenty of bear encounters in the past, is very bear savvy and is not a bullshitter. Bear spray didn't do the job there.

Another guy I know and trust ran into a grizzly while hunting in thick underbrush. He was armed, but used the spray. It ended well for all concerned. Again, experienced outdoorsman and no bullshitter.

There are a million of those stories on each side of the ledger. What's that tell you? Pretty simple.

-A bear that isn't committed to eating you could very well bail in the face of bear spray, so bear spray can be very effective;
-A bear that isn't deterred by bear spray needs either a good punch to the side of the head or a kick in the nads *or* a good stabbing from your trusty pocket knife as he's sitting on you and chewing on your cranium *or* a bullet (choose your weapon wisely).

I think you can also speculate that bear spray gets deployed on a lot of less committed bears and firearms get deployed on more committed bears, so stats like the ones you're citing are suspect. They aren't coming from any kind of controlled experiment.

I also know that people who like guns probably recommend a gun for a grizzly more than people who aren't gun aficionados, who in turn recommend bear spray. A lot of people in each group don't have any real g-bear experience and so are speculating and don't know how difficult a g-bear can be when it sets it's mind to something.

Start asking people who work in the woods about their encounters - especially if they work on the central coast doing jobs like timber cruising or planting or fisheries work, or something that doesn't involve lots of people and lots of noisy equipment. It won't take too long before you hear someone say "I ****ing hate grizzlies" and when you ask why you'll hear the (not uncommon story) of the grizzly putting the guy up a tree, ripping off the guy's boot heel in the process, getting a face full of spray and being very pissed off as a result. That kind of encounter qualifies as a "persons
defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time..."

Personally I don't carry a rifle if I'm in grizzly country by myself. I've just never been that worried about it.

If I'm out with my wife or someone else's kids? I give it some serious consideration. The last thing I want to do is explain to some mother why I didn't die trying to save her kid from a grizzly attack. It probably would never come to it, but I don't want to have that conversation. I'd rather explain why I'm carrying a rifle.

"How effective is a rifle or shotgun on your back when your sneaking through the bush with your bow in your hand? "

Not effective at all, especially if it's not ready to go and you can't bring it to bear. That said, emergency situations in the great outdoors seldom unfold as scripted.

How effective is bear spray in your holster when you're sneaking through the bush with a bow in your hand? If you've got time to get your bear spray out you've probably got time to get your rifle up.

Will you hit the bear if all of a sudden a surprise charge catches you unawares and you're looking at a huge monster bouncing along the ground faster than a quarterhorse bent on eating you? It'll be tough with a gun, or a bow, or bear spray.

Will you hit a bear with a firearm if it's just jumped on your buddy? Probably, if you can sack up. Yes, you may (and this has happened) kill the bear and injure your pal with the through shot, but it'll probably work better than bear spray alone. Your pal will still thank you.

Have you ever had bear spray not work at all (I have) or have it go off by accident in the gear during travel (I have)? It happens. You ever have a rifle misfire? It happens.

So, free world, the coffee is hot, your mileage may vary, but personally I default to a rifle if I need one (kids, wife, small party, high enough probability of bear encounter), and I recognize that bear spray may, in some circumstances, be easier to deploy and may be more effective, so I will take it as well if needed. But like I say, if there is a committed bear with a bad attitude the last thing I want is to be around when someone else in the party is slowly being killed. Anytime shit has a chance of getting that real I don't want to be the test case. I want all the tools.

mpotzold:

Nice pics. Were you walking that area or riding?

Wild one
04-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Judging bear defence methods I look at it pretty simple. First how many times is a firearm or spray deemed effective on bears that were bluffing? More times then not a bear bluffs but you won’t know if you use either form of defence. Bears don’t tell you either so can’t blame a guy for using a form of defence

Firearm) can drop them in their tracks or cause enough pain to deter them till they die. It still comes with flaws though. In a true oh sh!t bear moment it’s fast and most who think they will make the shot and drop the bear won’t do to thier reactions under pressure or caught by surprise. Don’t hit the bear right it can still maul you or you straight up miss. Bad hit could also change a bluff into a defensive attack or it turns from pain. Firearm no doubt can save your @ss but not 100% and if you can’t keep it together odds are you can’t hit your mark. Yes I know we are hunters we don’t miss :wink:

Spray) you are basically relying on pain, vision impairment, and impacting the bears breathing. Yes this can make them decide it’s not worth it or impair the bears sense. But if that bear really wants to go through with an attack it can push through it. If the wind is wrong the bear and yourself are both getting it. One big plus spray is easier to hit its mark

My opinion if you can keep it together and make a stopping shot on a moving target in a moment of adrenaline filled shock can’t beat a firearm. If you can’t you might as well have spray because a poorly hit bear is only deterred by pain well spray impaires vision, breathing and inflicts pain as a deterrent. No doubt the firearm is superior if the person behind it can get the job done but a poor hit or miss you are better off with spray

I personally don’t see either 100% effective and human error is a big factor in high stress split second moments that impact how effective either choice is.

Debate away if you want but I will stick to being observant and try to avoid getting into a bad situation instead. Even this has not been 100% effective for me but I don’t need to pack extra gear :lol:

I hate to say it but odds are in most cases if a bear wants to really chew on you your F ed so don’t stress about it too much :mrgreen:

LYKTOHUNT
04-08-2019, 09:13 PM
Think I will rely on my short double shotgun with slugs, i cant see more opportunity with any more ammo as it will happen so fast that you wont get more than two shots off in a close in fightin situation anyways before you get scratched up some or alot and you cant carry it on your back or there is no point in carrying it

mpotzold
04-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Danny_29:

"Holy. Touchy subject I guess. Everything I've read suggests spray and a rifle are just as effective."

"Read" and "suggests" being the operative words.

Herrero thinks spray is effective, as do many others. Gary Shelton has other things you can read that would indicate the contrary.

What do you know from personal experience or from people you know and trust?

My personal experience is that grizzlies and black bears are scared/unaware of me. I hope it stays that way (check Rinella and his amended desires about grizzly encounters - they changed when he experienced one up close and personal).

People I know and trust? There are lots.

I know of a guy who put a couple shotgun rounds into a young charging grizzly that had just received and run through a face full of bear spray. That bear was very hungry and was charging a group of guys who had been making plenty of noise (they were working, not hunting). It shouldn't have been charging a group of people in the first place, and it should have bailed when it got a can full of bear spray in the face, but it didn't.

The same guy who shot the bear has had plenty of bear encounters in the past, is very bear savvy and is not a bullshitter. Bear spray didn't do the job there.

Another guy I know and trust ran into a grizzly while hunting in thick underbrush. He was armed, but used the spray. It ended well for all concerned. Again, experienced outdoorsman and no bullshitter.

There are a million of those stories on each side of the ledger. What's that tell you? Pretty simple.

-A bear that isn't committed to eating you could very well bail in the face of bear spray, so bear spray can be very effective;
-A bear that isn't deterred by bear spray needs either a good punch to the side of the head or a kick in the nads *or* a good stabbing from your trusty pocket knife as he's sitting on you and chewing on your cranium *or* a bullet (choose your weapon wisely).

I think you can also speculate that bear spray gets deployed on a lot of less committed bears and firearms get deployed on more committed bears, so stats like the ones you're citing are suspect. They aren't coming from any kind of controlled experiment.

I also know that people who like guns probably recommend a gun for a grizzly more than people who aren't gun aficionados, who in turn recommend bear spray. A lot of people in each group don't have any real g-bear experience and so are speculating and don't know how difficult a g-bear can be when it sets it's mind to something.

Start asking people who work in the woods about their encounters - especially if they work on the central coast doing jobs like timber cruising or planting or fisheries work, or something that doesn't involve lots of people and lots of noisy equipment. It won't take too long before you hear someone say "I ****ing hate grizzlies" and when you ask why you'll hear the (not uncommon story) of the grizzly putting the guy up a tree, ripping off the guy's boot heel in the process, getting a face full of spray and being very pissed off as a result. That kind of encounter qualifies as a "persons
defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time..."

Personally I don't carry a rifle if I'm in grizzly country by myself. I've just never been that worried about it.

If I'm out with my wife or someone else's kids? I give it some serious consideration. The last thing I want to do is explain to some mother why I didn't die trying to save her kid from a grizzly attack. It probably would never come to it, but I don't want to have that conversation. I'd rather explain why I'm carrying a rifle.

"How effective is a rifle or shotgun on your back when your sneaking through the bush with your bow in your hand? "

Not effective at all, especially if it's not ready to go and you can't bring it to bear. That said, emergency situations in the great outdoors seldom unfold as scripted.

How effective is bear spray in your holster when you're sneaking through the bush with a bow in your hand? If you've got time to get your bear spray out you've probably got time to get your rifle up.

Will you hit the bear if all of a sudden a surprise charge catches you unawares and you're looking at a huge monster bouncing along the ground faster than a quarterhorse bent on eating you? It'll be tough with a gun, or a bow, or bear spray.

Will you hit a bear with a firearm if it's just jumped on your buddy? Probably, if you can sack up. Yes, you may (and this has happened) kill the bear and injure your pal with the through shot, but it'll probably work better than bear spray alone. Your pal will still thank you.

Have you ever had bear spray not work at all (I have) or have it go off by accident in the gear during travel (I have)? It happens. You ever have a rifle misfire? It happens.

So, free world, the coffee is hot, your mileage may vary, but personally I default to a rifle if I need one (kids, wife, small party, high enough probability of bear encounter), and I recognize that bear spray may, in some circumstances, be easier to deploy and may be more effective, so I will take it as well if needed. But like I say, if there is a committed bear with a bad attitude the last thing I want is to be around when someone else in the party is slowly being killed. Anytime shit has a chance of getting that real I don't want to be the test case. I want all the tools.

mpotzold:

Nice pics. Were you walking that area or riding?
We were slowly driving by in the first 2 photos.
In the first photo the pond is only a short distance from a small lake off Meadow Lake Rd. There is a gravel pit where I used to practice hitting a paper plate at say 50,40 & 30 ft. using 45/70 GG with open sights. Speed and accuracy were paramount.

In the third & 4th photos we set camp making plenty of noise. Nevertheless a large grizz charged. Our screaming saved us. We were both sitting on top of bank(see photo 4 bottom right) & eagle eyes Eve again saw the grizz just before he charged. Unfortunately the 375 H&H was hanging on the happijac 100 ft+/- away.
Using the open sighted 45/70 I'm sure I had enought time for 2 shots.

Lesson learned -never let your guard down when in bear country.

Posted this before-
Marlin 45-70 using Buffalo bore 405 grain-grizz instant death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDngrAe1Ww

mpotzold
04-08-2019, 11:15 PM
My regular hunting partner LT (aka LOVER 308 ) sent me this.

Grizz are omnivores!:p
https://oi1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/land51/bear1_zpsdqz5vezz.jpg~original

srupp
04-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Hmm grizz are omnivores they eat everything but granite and license plates.
No never bought, packed or used bear spray..lack of trust in it.
Used guide gun, rem 350, defender shotgun,.338..
Some areas low possibility encounters..
Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
Stephen Hererro..more biology..school teaching views.
Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
No to spray..
Srupp

Arctic Lake
04-09-2019, 08:25 AM
Mpotzold That there is some pretty slick shooting . Chuck Connors would be impressed . Now how to keep your composure when the charging Grizz is coming at you in an imminent attack . If it ever came to this I would HOPE for nerves of steel !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
04-09-2019, 08:30 AM
With bear spray I think it also makes sense to practice getting that can out of it's holder ! You would want to be a real "Quicks Draw Mc Graw" . Opps dating myself here .
Arctic Lake

Wild one
04-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
No to spray..
Srupp

I agree with what you state regarding a firearm for bear defence. The right firearm is 100% effective it’s the human component that is not. In the right hands it’s great but I don’t have faith in the ability of most in the moment. I think we have all seen those who panic or freeze under high pressure situations and the % that can keep it together are not in the majority

In the right hands in the firearm vs spray debate firearm hands down but for those who cannot keep it together in the moment spray maybe a better option just because spray is easier to use even though its less effective

303savage
04-09-2019, 09:49 AM
The trouble with bear spray is the bears not always down wind of you. Bear spray is not nice when it blow back at you.

elch jager
04-09-2019, 09:57 AM
full marks for Chipman's post....

Never had to fire on a bear in defense, but slugs from the 12ga Ithaca 37 20" barrel is my preference.

I do have the spray on my belt as another option, but would not put my trust in it like I do with a firearm.

slowjo
04-11-2019, 06:59 PM
when i'm bow hunting in g-bear country i carry a canuck regulator/defender 12 ga. with the bird's head pistol grip in place of a shoulder stock. it is just a tad over the minimum gun length. i have a nice scabbard on the outside of my pack and the gun's grip sits just over my left shoulder, so i can quickly pull it out if needed. a couple of buck shot shells and a couple of slugs. also, i usually have a pepper spray on my belt whenever i'm out, bow or rifle season.

shottyshooter
04-11-2019, 08:48 PM
defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons
defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured
experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries. Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero
reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury from
a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used.

Just sayin.

Stats are useless because they can be manipulated to say whatever you want. If 1000 hikers sprayed at the first sign of a bear that wasn’t even interested in them and report that the spray saved them - and - 20 hunters with fresh kills or even just a recent gunshot (dinnerbells) actually shoot an aggressive bear looking for dinner one way or the other and half of them still get swatted and need stitches the stats can say 99.9% of spray was effective and 50% of firearms were ineffective!?!? Too many variables to statistically say one is better than another simply because it was present at the same time as a bear.

I think it was said before - I’ll carry a gun for bear defence because at least I can try to use the option I have the most confidence in - and most importantly - we’re usually not alone out there so someone with a gun can certainly shoot the damned bear off of me when they’re done panicking or vice versa! LOL

walks with deer
04-11-2019, 08:55 PM
yes and if encounter grizzly or heavy fresh grizzly sign i hunt another area..
normally when a area has good game you can find a different pocket to hunt.

mpotzold
04-11-2019, 09:20 PM
yes and if encounter grizzly or heavy fresh grizzly sign i hunt another area..
normally when a area has good game you can find a different pocket to hunt.

Remember hunting moose on a lone hunt in the Nation Lakes area around 1970+/-. It was in Oct. Got up very early in the morning & decided to circle a large swampy area. There was a fresh & heavy snow fall from the day/night before.
On my way back after a couple of hours saw fresh grizzly tracks that followed mine. Shouldered my 308 Norma & walked back slowly to camp looking back every few seconds. Once reaching the vehicle left the area quickly & headed for Germansen.

Redthies
04-11-2019, 09:38 PM
I was invited on a climbing expedition into The Cirque of the Unclimbables in Nahanni back in the 90s. The plan was to do a new route on the Lotus Flower Tower (no really... look it up!). I think my buds who won the grant to pay for the trip invited me because I can shoot both my Nikons AND my Defender. In the end, I couldn’t make it. A few days later I asked what they planned to do about bear defense. They said “we each bought a can of spray”. I said “Umm, I don’t think that’s going to stop a grizzly”. They said in unison “oh, it’s not for the bear. We’re going to spray each other, and whoever is a quicker draw, and better shot will get away while the bear is eating the guy who was slower!”

Lickily they too didn’t see any bears.

Nowadays I have either my 1895GS with 405 grainers, or my .357 with 180 grain cast bear loads. The .45-70 gets the nod if I know I’m on grizzly turf.

butthead
04-11-2019, 09:39 PM
after watching this grizzly i figured
i don't stand a chance anyways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURgA_BNSGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziib-MZ5IXY

Gateholio
04-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Just sayin.

Could you tell us your personal experiences using spray on bears, please?

whitlers
04-11-2019, 11:22 PM
This gets me thinking. What's the smallest lightest legal gun you can pack around that will still down a grizzly. My Moss 500 18" barrel is small but still heavy to add to the side of the pack if I'm bow hunting in Grizz country.

Hunter gatherer
04-12-2019, 05:38 AM
I carry a Mares leg, call it peace of mind. Bear spray I would not have much peace of mind. With the wind in your face I know the bullet will go the direction it's pointed in ,bear spray would come right back at me. I've had enough close grizzly encounters that even with my hunting rifle I was shackie , with bear spray I would of had to leave some expensive merino wool behind.

Redthies
04-12-2019, 06:06 AM
This gets me thinking. What's the smallest lightest legal gun you can pack around that will still down a grizzly.

Henry Mares Leg in .44 mag is probably the lightest “legal” option, but not exactly user friendly in a pinch. They are hard for the average guy or gal to shoot well at the best of times, so I’d stick with something with an actual stock. You don’t need any added challenges if it comes time to need to stop a bear.

if you watched the first video butthead posted, the speed that grizzly moved makes me agree with him that if one really wants to get you, you stand little chance of getting a shot off, let alone two.

Wild one
04-12-2019, 06:33 AM
after watching this grizzly i figured
i don't stand a chance anyways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURgA_BNSGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziib-MZ5IXY

Reached this conclusion years ago after a black bear bluff charged me in thick bush. Everything was so fast all I remember is hearing the bush crash and seeing a black bluer run past me. You would not have time to shit yourself let alone go for spray on your hip or gun on your back. I have pushed my luck with black bears lot of the year hunting them or just doing dumb things so been bluffed more then a few times. In most cases if you don’t have your spray or firearm in your hands and ready your screwed

A camp gun or recovery gun I understand but Out hunting the weapon in your hand is your best bet

Squamch
04-12-2019, 07:08 AM
I carry an 18" barrel 870. I practice with it A LOT. One year while bow hunting I decided to carry a model 94 instead. That was the day we had a sow blackbear get grumpy with us clacking her teeth and growling...I would have felt a lot better with a shotgun. I don't own pepper spray, and have no interest in trying it. I know that a human can run through spray and continue to work someone over, and I know that bears are tougher than humans.

Browning 3\d
04-12-2019, 07:28 AM
You should just get over your fear of bears go out and have fun because you are going too run in to more bears every because of more bears not been taken. Seen lots in 3 5 area

Darksith
04-12-2019, 09:21 AM
bears don't need to be feared, just respected

Its always the people that don't grow up around bears that are more worried about them, which is completely understandable. We are not viewed as a food source, and the number of humans killed by black bears in the last 2 decades North America wide I believe is under 10...

Wild one
04-12-2019, 09:58 AM
bears don't need to be feared, just respected

Its always the people that don't grow up around bears that are more worried about them, which is completely understandable. We are not viewed as a food source, and the number of humans killed by black bears in the last 2 decades North America wide I believe is under 10...

completely agree with the respected not feared when it comes to bears

I do agree people who are not around bears are more prone to fearing them but there is still no lack of those in Northern BC that fear them. I know loggers that won’t leave the tracks of their machine for a crap if a bear has been seen within 5miles of the block

I had fun scaring the hell out of them well sharing a camp :mrgreen:

mpotzold
04-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Mpotzold That there is some pretty slick shooting . Chuck Connors would be impressed . Now how to keep your composure when the charging Grizz is coming at you in an imminent attack . If it ever came to this I would HOPE for nerves of steel !
Arctic Lake

Chuck was a great western star. Grew up during Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Maverick & Have Gun Will Travel era. How I miss those days-never again!:cry:

Anyways I only practice once in a while(another great song).:razz:
Did the same with my Defender but it jammed on me once- probably from mixing different shells.

After being charged both Eve & I discussed how we lost our fear & went into survival mode. Our senses were greatly amplified.

More on the efficacy of spray continued!

Bear sprayed store clerk successfully fights off thieves a few months ago in BC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP7HD36TgxM

Nov. 2011 -Spray used by police on student protesters from MK-9 canister- not much different from bear spray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

And bear spray is supposed to stop an adrenalized aggressive grizz during a charge running at 30 to 40 fps.
I DON’T THINK SO!

mpotzold
04-12-2019, 03:15 PM
No to spray..
Srupp

Couldn't agree more.
Shortly after our charge talked to Gary & ordered all of his books. He also wrote me a letter saying that the charge was very likely predatory.
In a nutshell.
https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/Gary_zpslpv2ky2b.jpg~original

mpotzold
04-12-2019, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;2085278]

In the first photo the pond is only a short distance from a small lake off Meadow Lake Rd. There is a gravel pit where I used to practice hitting a paper plate t......

Here's the small lake
https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN1121.jpg~original

Bugle M In
04-12-2019, 03:54 PM
While out hunting, the rifle in your hands is your protection.
You want to carry spray on your hip, in case your mauled and that's all you can reach for, I guess you can,
or like one guy, use a big knife.
And pray.

As for after game is down, I am considering a shotgun with slugs, especially if I have to go back to camp first to get a back pack to pack out.

Some guys in areas with Bear and alone, I know see them packing 45/70's to hunt all day with.
Like they say, for most elk and moose, they feel they don't need to shoot more than 100 yards anyways.
So a rifle like that, lever action and big bullets, is going to add some comfort to their hunts in bear country.

IF sidearms were allowed, and I wish they were!
(if they could atleast allow for a few calibers, in x amount of barrel length)
That would be the route I would go to have on my body in case I couldn't react fast enough.

I have seen a few folks who do illegally pack them, but I wouldn't unless it was legal.
You do see on a few of those Discovery programs like the Last Alaskans, where they ALL pack a long barreled sidearm.
Makes sense to me.

(We don't need to allow little snub nosed sidearms that can be completely concealed, but rather one
that you can't hide, carry on the waist, that everyone can see, and could help in a bad situation).
What I don't get is, we already carry rifles, so what is the difference with a 10-12" barreled sidearm
for "the purpose of hunting protection"??

Some will say some bears would be killed unnecessarily, thus we can carry spray.
I suspect some bears meet the Triple S anyways because we do carry rifles and do have close encounters.
Some folks are just "dreamers" as to "how it should be".

moosinaround
04-12-2019, 04:23 PM
I have a day or two out in the woods of this magnificent Province of ours in my life time so far. I carry when I am in the woods. When I say carry, I mean a 444 marlin, or a 12ga shotgun, or a centerfire rifle. I always have a couple cans of bear mace in the camper, and when I walk in urban/rural interface areas. Best defense for bears is to understand their behavior, and know when the times is right to deploy your protection device of choice. I have only ever killed 1 bear in self defense, a black bear. Very rarely have I seen grizz while out strolling around, but when I have, I always let them know what I am, and my weapon is always hot! I like to give the bears the court, and i'll go find a different spot. I have seen grizz in region 5, and black bears in every other MU i have been in.

Always expect to see bears, grizz, or blacks, ANYWHERE in this great province of ours. They are the top of the food chain now, and are no longer hunted by the human, so they act accordingly. I have a comfort distance from bears, and if they get in my uncomfortable range, I kill them, simple! No warning shots, first shot kills! Your second bullet is almost always off target! Lots will preach of warning shots, don't! Moosin

whitespringer
04-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Let's carry this thread a little further with a discussion on shot placement on a charging bear... if you have the wits to even think about it.

Wild one
04-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Let's carry this thread a little further with a discussion on shot placement on a charging bear... if you have the wits to even think about it.

Your target is center mass frontal shot on a charging bear. Get too fancy you are likely to miss. If you’re claiming self defence this is your option. Anything else you better be able to legally tag the bear or be saving someone from being mauled. A judge will not be your friend if it’s not a close range frontal shot

nothing wrong with shooting a gumpy black bear any way you want just be sure you have a tag and it’s in season so you don’t need to defend your actions

moosinaround
04-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Most bears can cover the last 30 feet when charging you, in the blink of an eye. Measure this distance, and see what your reaction time is when a human charges you!! It's quick, very quick! A bear that decides to charge you, is going to kill you at ranges within 30'. That means, you better be ready to kill that bear in those final 30'!! A frontal shot is what you will likely get, but at this point you are just trying to hit it to kill it! The bear I killed years ago was at 25', and was in very thick brush, while doing silviculture surveys! 1 shot to the face, 3" OO buck shot! Killed him, which was a good thing, as the spent casing stuck in the chamber! I carry a marlin 444 with 265gr flat points, or a 7mm rem mag. I have a 12ga with OO and slugs in the tent or camper! Moosin

Wild one
04-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Most bears can cover the last 30 feet when charging you, in the blink of an eye. Measure this distance, and see what your reaction time is when a human charges you!! It's quick, very quick! A bear that decides to charge you, is going to kill you at ranges within 30'. That means, you better be ready to kill that bear in those final 30'!! A frontal shot is what you will likely get, but at this point you are just trying to hit it to kill it! The bear I killed years ago was at 25', and was in very thick brush, while doing silviculture surveys! 1 shot to the face, 3" OO buck shot! Killed him, which was a good thing, as the spent casing stuck in the chamber! I carry a marlin 444 with 265gr flat points, or a 7mm rem mag. I have a 12ga with OO and slugs in the tent or camper! Moosin

I think most underestimate that a bear charge is really an adrenaline filled second that time and thinking about what you are going to do is not happen

Its truly an oh shit moment

mpotzold
04-14-2019, 11:39 AM

More on shot placement, plus

All 3 of Gary Shelton’s books should be read.

According to Gary
-Shoot the bear when it gets within 80 feet aiming dead centre on a straight frontal charge.
I would aim at the nose (eyes if using buckshot)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/43/00/d3430098608d17a42baa3585a06cd34e.jpg

-Important to be proficient with the gun.

-A large calibre rifle or a 12 gauge using slugs can reduce the risk of injury or death to about nil. Don’t use buckshot since it may or may not work.(IMO –it will probably stop it if you have the nerve to wait till about 20 feet aiming in the nose/eyes area)

-if allowed a 44 mag handgun is minimum

-30-06+ for blacks & 338+ for grizz

-use a good quality rifle that doesn’t jam

Read “Bear Attacks The Deadly Truth”- the chapter “Without Warning”where 2 hunters, Bill & Shane were killed by a grizz during field dressing an elk. Apparently Bill’s push feed rifle got jammed after working the bolt 2x in a “life and death” situation.

Also there is a chapter “Death At Liard” that clearly shows bears predatory behaviour whether habituated or not. In this case it was a small black bear that attacked at least 4 people killing 2 before being dispatched with a tourist’s 30/30 preventing more deaths. It was not starving & started eating people while they were still alive.

Playing dead with a black bear is a no/no!

Using bear spray on the black bear would have been futile judging from the many failures.
Just recently a young woman was killed by a black bear in Alaska. The bear spray totally failed.

Black bears can quickly recover from being sprayed.
“I don’t know why,” said Stephen Herrero “but it showed up in the data.”

BLACK BEAR ATTACK Liard Hot Springs GUN SAVES THE DAY
Also see comment #8 by Lyn Hancock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02lSPlS5aSo

moosinaround
04-15-2019, 04:44 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/8140bf37-3a4b-4c21-83d8-68b64cdef483

Camp Cook
04-18-2019, 09:49 AM
In the grizzly pic above if your lucky you will have time for one shot.

Your aim point should be between the eyes and max 1" above - 2" below the eyes.

My defense firearms over the years were...

Started with an 18.5" barreled Rem 870 12 gauge loaded with slugs next was a shortened to 18.5" Lee Enfield in 303 British but stock cut to a pistol grip.

When I was working as a prospector I carried the following

Marlin 1895GS 45-70 18.5" barrel
LSI Puma M92 454 Casull 20" barrel
Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM shortened to 21" barrel

I don't go prospecting much anymore but after having had multiple bear encounters over the years I never head out into the bush without a firearm

I now on regular hikes pack super short 14" barreled T/C Contender carbines in 338JDJ #2 and 375JDJ.

338JDJ #2 180gr @ 2500fps

https://i.postimg.cc/XqqCCrPF/338-JDJ-No2-14in-barrel-2-7x28mm-Leupold-scope.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

375 JDJ 225gr @ 2200fps

https://i.postimg.cc/JnNt0VyD/14-inch-SSK-G2-375-JDJ.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Moose Guide
04-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Holy. Touchy subject I guess. Everything I've read suggests spray and a rifle are just as effective. Everybody needs to relax plenty of hikers every year use bear spray effectively. I take spray because it's lighter that is it.

How effective is a rifle or shotgun on your back when your sneaking through the bush with your bow in your hand?
With a bow in my left hand I can spin my 338 off my shoulder and fire it quicker than you can get that bear spray out!! Bear spray only works with the wind at your back, do you often hunt with the wind blowing your scent ahead of you? No bear will ever run through a solid, well placed gun shot, but many survivors have told about bears paying no notice to bear spray! I personally know of 5 Grizzly attacks, score-5 dead Grizzlies and 1 hunter bitten on the thigh! You go ahead and carry a can, I'll carry a 338 Win. Mag.

IronNoggin
04-18-2019, 02:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uBQ68YD.jpg

JAGRMEISTER
04-20-2019, 07:20 AM
I would carry lubricated TROJANS AS YOU DO NOT SOUND VERY CONFIDENT OR BUSH WISE!

LYKTOHUNT
04-20-2019, 07:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/uBQ68YD.jpg

Thats the same rig I use

Bobfl
04-20-2019, 08:45 AM
if you surprise them on a kill nothing is going to stop them if your in there space. common sense look listen and walk slowly. if your worried stick to the roads, nothing worse than a nervous nelly in the bush

adriaticum
04-20-2019, 09:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

mpotzold
04-20-2019, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Camp Cook;2087444]In the grizzly pic above if your lucky you will have time for one shot.

Your aim point should be between the eyes and max 1" above - 2" below the eyes.

I'm not a bear hunter & have never shot at a charging bear but read many stories of bullet,slug, buckshot deflecting of the thick bear skull when the acute angle of entrance compared to the skull is small.
One story I remember reading was when a trooper shot a Treadwell grizzly with a brenneke slug at a close range as it charged & it failed to penetrate the skull as indicated in the necropsy report. It took a lung shot to kill it.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/dmkilbride/bearskullbulletbounce.jpg

Onesock
04-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Anyone that packs a gun in a scabbard and thinks they have time to drop their bow, get the gun and then fire an accurate shot are fooling themselves. Better to pack your bow on your back and carry the gun.

whitlers
04-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Anyone that packs a gun in a scabbard and thinks they have time to drop their bow, get the gun and then fire an accurate shot are fooling themselves. Better to pack your bow on your back and carry the gun.

I would have to agree with that. Both times I was charged while bow hunting my bow was in my hands and my instinct was to throw my hands up and yell 'Hey Bear!". It worked but probably not the best instinct Haha.

Piperdown
04-21-2019, 07:13 AM
I carry my 45-70 when bow hunting have it on my shoulder with my safari sling at all times so it is hands free while packing my xbow

mpotzold
04-30-2021, 01:53 PM
Chuck was a great western star. Grew up during Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Maverick & Have Gun Will Travel era. How I miss those days-never again!:cry:

Anyways I only practice once in a while(another great song).:razz:
Did the same with my Defender but it jammed on me once- probably from mixing different shells.

After being charged both Eve & I discussed how we lost our fear & went into survival mode. Our senses were greatly amplified.

More on the efficacy of spray continued!

Bear sprayed store clerk successfully fights off thieves a few months ago in BC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP7HD36TgxM

Nov. 2011 -Spray used by police on student protesters from MK-9 canister- not much different from bear spray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

And bear spray is supposed to stop an adrenalized aggressive grizz during a charge running at 30 to 40 fps.
I DON’T THINK SO!

Sadly his son in “The Rifleman”, John Crawford, 75, has died yesterday.
RIP JC :(

https://deadline.com/2021/04/johnny-crawford-dead-obituary-the-rifleman-actor-mousketeer-was-75-1234747456/

wideopenthrottle
04-30-2021, 02:58 PM
where I grew up bears (black) were common and very afraid of people. Even as kids we knew to stand tall and yell F-off bear. We chased them out of camp out of necessity and we chased them out of garbage dumps for fun....

when I worked in the UBC research forest in 1990 I experienced the first ever bear that did not run when confronted..as a matter of fact he stood up to make himself look big and I slowly backed up and got back into the truck after..it was a bit un-nerving but no lasting fear effects....

in about 1994, I was hunting up near Loon lake and was crossing through about a mile of bush between 2 roads...when I got to the middle there was a large wide cattle trail..as I got to the edge of where the trail opened up, I did a full look around before stepping into the open.

as I got about 5 steps into the opening, a bear also stepped out about 100 feet away....I looked at him and he looked at me so I stood tall and yelled f-off bear.....it turned towards me and ran full speed....I pride my self on being pretty quick with an off-hand shot and I was carrying in the "ready " position...

when I pulled up the 303 british with the scope adjusted down on 3x power ) that bear sure looked a lot closer and bigger!! I quickly shot it in the face....it reeled but continued to run to its left...not wanting a wounded bear running around, I put a follow up in it broadside as it ran and it dropped right there...

I don't think I would have had time to find and fire a fiddly little can of pepper spray...plus with the rifle I did not have to take my eyes off the charging bear... I also stood beside a guy who fired spray at a crouching cougar from 10-15 feet away and the spray did not reach the cat....I did get a pretty nasty coughing fit when I chased the cougar into the surrounding forest when I breathed the cloud of drifting spray...

russm
04-30-2021, 03:41 PM
I mostly hunt region 3, my "bear protection" is my hunting rifle,there seems to be a huge increase in "bear defense" and "camp guns" over the last few years, seems odd that ypud wanna fumble around trying to get to a shotgun when you have a rifle in your hand, chances are if you wait til he's in shotgun range your probably screwed

jac
04-30-2021, 04:39 PM
I carry bear spray all the time when hunting and scouting. I think the pros out way the cons by a lot.

604ksmith
04-30-2021, 05:20 PM
My personal strategy is to carry bear spray attached to my bino harness so that if I drop my backpack, or damage/become separated from my rifle I still have a line of defense. I also practice quick reaction shots with my hunting rifle a few times a year.

In open country:
I would reach for a gun and shoot to kill whether it's a black bear or grizzly. I will ask for forgiveness/hire a lawyer if distance/kill shot is debated by CO.

In thick brush:
I make note that I wouldn't have time/space to shoulder a rifle and acquire a target so I make a mental note to reach for spray first, and a rifle second.

In my experience from spraying 3 bears (2 in wild, 1 in yard) the bears retreated 20-40 yards/coughed and would've afforded me time to shoulder a rifle and shoot if I was required.

I think one thing people need to consider is that bear charges are often in less than ideal terrain. Standing still, shouldering a rifle, aiming, and shooting is difficult under stress. I think it's nearly impossible if you're straddling a log, holding willows back, climbing up a creek/river bank, ducking under deadfall, or packing out a heavy load. Bear spray however can be reached for by muscle memory and sprayed in the general direction with little aim and minimal support/balance due to almost no "recoil".

It seems to me that people think they'll only ever be charged by a bear in an ideal scenario that would lead to accurate and quick shooting.
If that's the case, I agree shooting is likely your best chance.
But if things aren't perfect, I will use spray first, hope it gives me extra time and then re-assess/shoot.

REMINGTON JIM
04-30-2021, 06:40 PM

You mean strap one of these to your belt ? :wink: RJ

https://ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html OR

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g20-gen4

Arctic Lake
04-30-2021, 07:15 PM
RJ I Have thought many times about being able to carry a sidearm while in the bush . Protection ! Safety !Wont ever happened here though !
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
04-30-2021, 07:29 PM
RJ I Have thought many times about being able to carry a sidearm while in the bush . Protection ! Safety !Wont ever happened here though !
Arctic Lake

There's PROB a few people out there PACKIN ! :razz: :shock: RJ

wildcatter
04-30-2021, 08:28 PM
No to spray..
Srupp

Steven, what kind of ammo are you using in your Rem.35?
I got a Marlin Model 336 Rem. 35 using LeverEvolution 200 gr. rounds.

wildcatter
04-30-2021, 09:25 PM
No to spray..
Srupp

My mistake Steven, you got a Remington 350, not a 35:oops:

Arctic Lake
04-30-2021, 10:10 PM
I can’t imagine what ones wrist would feel like after shooting the Ruger in the link you provided
.Arctic Lake

scoutlt1
04-30-2021, 10:23 PM
I feel that if you are carrying a firearm for protection, being proficient with it is the most important thing.

I hike, travel, camp, and sleep best with my 30 year old defender.

I'm ok with my short barrel Winchester .30-30 too. Best caliber in grizzly country? Probably not, but I'm just so familiar with that gun in all ways..

walks with deer
04-30-2021, 10:28 PM
YEA you BET your LUCKY ! Because one Day your gonna find out just how USELESS spray can be against a Predatory Bear or a MOM bear with Cubs ! And to SUGGEST to people that spray is just as EFFECTIVE as a Gun ?? is really IGNORANT on your part ! You trying to get people KILLED ?? What kinda GUN are you comparing it too - BB - Pellet Gun ?? RJ

Haha i agree with pappa jim and old stealhead stubburn man...458 shooting a 400grainn bonded bullet is what i carry if i think chances of a conflic are high....eg carrying a bou 12
Km solo..i also have two gg in 4570...**** spray i have only sprayed one bear at 5 yards in th face and that spray wAs OOO dead. Thanks.i do not biw hunt without one of my gg loaded h
With had cast.....

scoutlt1
04-30-2021, 10:36 PM
Haha i agree with pappa jim and old stealhead stubburn man...458 shooting a 400grainn bonded bullet is what i carry if i think chances of a conflic are high....eg carrying a bou 12
Km solo..i also have two gg in 4570...**** spray i have only sprayed one bear at 5 yards in th face and that spray wAs OOO dead. Thanks.i do not biw hunt without one of my gg loaded h
With had cast.....

I think I know what you're trying to say, but ya might want to edit your post in the morning. :-) :-)

horshur
04-30-2021, 10:43 PM
No I don't carry bear protection. Work in the bush in Grizzly areas frequently. Most dangerous part of job by and far is the driving.

Harvest the Land
04-30-2021, 10:56 PM
You bet I do - I carry my whits and my rifle. But during times of the year when its not legal to harvest a bear, I absolutely do carry bear spray, but I also always carry some sort of rifle (I'm often solo). In my experience, most black bears (excluding sows with cubs) are non confrontational and want nothing to do with you. Grizz on the other hand, man some of these *******s really have serious attitude issues; and for that reason, whenever I'm in high populated Grizz country, I'm always on High alert. IMO there is a major difference between being in a highly populated black bear area vs being in a highly populated Grizz area

Treed
04-30-2021, 11:12 PM
The chance of being mauled or killed by a bear is so low. I’ve spent my entire career in the bush, my childhood, and I recreate and hunt. I’ve a lot of encounters with black bears and typically see 10 -20 grizzly a year. Do I think of bears in the bush, all the time. But I also think of every other critter. That’s the point of being there. Am I scared? Yes, occasionally the hair rises on the back of my neck and a close encounter gets the heart going. I have used bear spray against black bears and it’s worked for me. Grizz...um wouldn’t trust it at all but at work it’s all I can carry. Use whatever makes you feel safe but at least carry a knife.

Treed
04-30-2021, 11:31 PM
I’ve found that bear spray is really ineffective when the bear is more than three meters away. It diffuses so quickly. It’s like Braveheart: ‘Hold, hold, hold and when you see the whites of their eyes - give them a good blast. The early discharges just seem to irritate them. All the bears I’ve used it on were not predatory. I don’t know if it would work so well on a bear intent on eating you or defending a kill. Grizzlies - all bets are off. I hope I never have to test it.

Camp Cook
05-01-2021, 06:18 AM

I carried both of these when I worked in remote wilderness areas of BC & Alberta.

Mind you my Ruger Super Redhawk was shortened to 4.25" barrel to be legal here in Canada.

I loaded 240gr XTP-Mags @ 1600fps up to 405gr cast WLNGC's at 1280fps bonus is I could also shoot any of my 45 Colt loads in it as well.

My 10mm loads were from 135gr JHP's @ 1750fps to 200gr @ 1300fps.

Carried the G20 when I was riding the quad or getting in and out of the truck and the Ruger if I was away from vehicles.

FYI in the seven years I had my authorization to carry I was never checked by enforcement not even once.

Gateholio
05-01-2021, 08:36 AM
Over the years I have honed my Ninja skills and now am easily able to defeat any bear that dares to cross me.

Camp Cook
05-01-2021, 10:34 AM
I'm packing these two around this year 14" barreled 12 gauge and 21" barreled 375RUM.

https://i.postimg.cc/D0w9ZCCD/Orange-Magpul-Rem-870-12-gauge-and-Rem-700-375-RUM-Cadex-Tundra-Strike.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Also packing this 12.5" barreled 308 Win

https://i.postimg.cc/kgs5jdwK/Eberlestock-M1-Mainframe-pack-Rem-700-PCR-308.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/BQcZ6Grk/Eberlestock-F1-Mainframe-backpack-308-Rem-700.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/W1NNqHj3/Eberlestock-M1-Mainframe-pack-Rem-700-PCR-308-2.png (https://postimages.org/)