PDA

View Full Version : Hunting clothing

rishu_pepper
09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Where's a good place to get hunting clothing in the GVA? I'm in need of a jacket, pants, and maybe a pair of boots.

If not possible, then which online store is the best option:

Cabelas
Sportsman Guide
Bass Pro
other?

I can have my cousin bring it up from the states at the end of the month so shipping won't kill me :razz: Please enlighten me on this issue fellas!

Steeleco
09-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Hub sports in Abbotsford has a huge selection of all things clothing.

rishu_pepper
09-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Great! I'll go check them out (bit of a drive though).

Just in case they don't carry what I'd like, which of the above online store is best, in terms of service/price/shipping? Thanks!

Sako_Halfcok
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
OMINECA SOURCE FOR SPORTS dont think we have any clothing on our site yet, but we have lots of rocky, browning, thermoking, etc, clothingin stock .

locdog_99
09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
walmart has some nice cheap stuff

rishu_pepper
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
On a related note, say I have about $300 to use right now, should I get a set of hunting clothes (jacket+pants) or a nice pair of boots (which I do need to upgrade)?

Speaking of which, where's a couple of good places for boots in GVA?

beeker
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
definitely worth checking out basspro. their shipping is reasonable and they have some good prices. make sure to check out the clearance section as there are some good bargains to be found in there.

Tuffcity
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
where's a couple of good places for boots in GVA

Depends what you want to spend but I've always had good service from AJ Brooks. I believe some people have had "issues" with them but every time I've dealt with them it has been good, either as a walk in or mail order. At least they make sure your boots fit properly before you walk out.

RC

DavidGordon
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I have never had anything but excellent service and equipment from AJ Brooks. I find his prices a little higher than other outlets but from what I have seen his prices usually match the quality. That said I can only visit him when we need something special because we can't afford to outfit a family of four in Cadillac hunting gear.

Someone else has already said it - if you want an amazing fit on your boots - visit AJ Brooks (when he says his boots have a 10 year guarantee I believe him - I know someone who returned theirs at the 8 year mark)

For the more utilitarian stuff we visit a place in north vancouver called Ono (it is worth the drive). They seem to service industry more than 'outdoor enthusiast' that you see in the backpacking stores. Ono sells everything - fall protection, floater jackets, boots, wool socks, long underwear, rubber gloves. You won't see a lot of goretext ultra light weight stuff.

If you don't see it an ono, ask them to get it and if the price is too high, tell them. They have always matched prices for me.

Last year they had a sale on floater jackets but nothing that would fit my wife. The owner over heard us lamenting that nothing would fit her. He took our name and number, about a week later he phoned, he had found an xxx small floater jacket from down south. Got it here in ASAP and honoured his sale price despite the fact that it was a special order.

rishu_pepper
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, I did it, I visited AJ Brooks earlier today. Just as you say, the service was excellent and the people know what they're talking about. As I put on the Meindl Burmas, I knew there was no going back. $275 is quite the price for Meindl's, when I see Scarpa/Vasque/Lowa going for $300+ in the shops next to AJ's. Breaking them in now, will make its first journey on Saturday's grouse hunt. (with no budget left for hunting clothes now lol)

Derek_Erickson
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
you can bundle up in anything, best to keep the feet happy

ruger#1
09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Go to Marks work wear world, Rocky hunting cloths and Irish setter boots.

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
So.. now I need a pair of pants. Need to keep the budget low, I guess the only requirement is keeping water out and around $50-60. Any ideas?

mapguy
09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
go to wallmart cheap

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Yes, Wally World was what I was thinking too. What kind of pants do they offer?

bighornbob
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Walmart has Remington camo. Its quiet and water and windproof. Thier type of Gortex. You can buy a sweet 4 in 1 jacket for 100 bucks. The pants are about 60. They also have thermal insulated pants and bibs.

BHB

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Sweet I'll go check out the local Walmart, thanks

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, I bought a parka/pants combo from Costco for $85. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it holds up. Otherwise I'll go for the Wally World Remingtons.

bighornbob
09-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I bought a parka/pants combo from Costco for $85. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it holds up. Otherwise I'll go for the Wally World Remingtons.

is it camo??

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
It's not camo, but for grouse hunting I guess it doesn't have to be. When I go deer hunt, then it's another story..?

85 bucks is a cheap deal, even for non-camo. I could easily take them for skiing.

JeffR
09-22-2007, 09:38 AM
So.. now I need a pair of pants. Need to keep the budget low, I guess the only requirement is keeping water out and around $50-60. Any ideas?

Go check out the army surplus store on broadway in Vancouver and get a pair of wool army surplus pants. The are the best outdoor pants ever and are quite cheap, I think I paid $20 for mine. I have used mine for years and they still are like new. The wool is way quieter than any man made material (possibley with the exception of fleece) and they are warm when wet, great in cold or warm weather. I had a heavy cordura patch sewn into the butt of mine to keep out any water when I sit down. I put waterproof pants on only if I know it is going to be a downpour. You can probibly get a good wool sweater there at the same time.

coolhunter
09-22-2007, 09:56 AM
North Vancouver Walmart and Lougheed mall Walmart have nice camo !

newhunterette
09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Always a good deal to find at Army and Navy for camo gear and non camo gear when a budget is in place :)

rishu_pepper
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Go check out the army surplus store on broadway in Vancouver and get a pair of wool army surplus pants. The are the best outdoor pants ever and are quite cheap, I think I paid $20 for mine. I have used mine for years and they still are like new. The wool is way quieter than any man made material (possibley with the exception of fleece) and they are warm when wet, great in cold or warm weather. I had a heavy cordura patch sewn into the butt of mine to keep out any water when I sit down. I put waterproof pants on only if I know it is going to be a downpour. You can probibly get a good wool sweater there at the same time.

I checked out the army surplus store on Broadway last week also, I don't know if I saw the ones you were describing..? Wouldn't wool be too warm for early season?

I went to Wally World Lougheed Mall but they ran out of mediums of the Remington ($59). Apparently will restock soon, we'll see. They seem comfy enough.

Cedarstrip
09-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I got a jacket and pants made by "Ronyn" last year on eBay. Definately cold-weather gear, but I love it. Very waterproof, quiet and functional.

moosinaround
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Wool Wool Wool Ever seen a cold sheep? Wool pants, wool underwear, and a good thermal under shirt. Dress in layers, and it dont matter what it is. Don't need to be camo unless you are hunting turkeys, or bow hunting. Natural fibers are the best. But that is just my opinion. Moosin

tikkat3
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I got some micro tek pants from Cabelas, they were a really good deal and the shipping and service was excellent. The pants rule too, quiet, well built, dry quickly, and only 60$ a pair. Most of the clothes for sale locally are totally expensive and too fancy in my opinion. I had a pair of browning pants last year that got hit by a fire ember and melted. 180$ down the drain right there, and they were loud as hell. What good is whiz bang pants that are waterproof with 50 pockets if you sound like a fat kid with corduroys on when you are trying to move silently through the bush?

You need to buy cheap, warm, quiet clothes for the bush IMO. Cheap is important because you will destroy the clothes if you hunt hard anyway.

tikkat3
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Just buy camo polarfleece and silicone spray the hell out of it for waterproofing. It works good. Wool is good too. If you get goretex stuff, you will destroy it one way or another, it doesn't take a beating too well I find. Vedder river camping supplies in Chilliwack has a great deal on now for line microfleece pants, jackets and vests in realtree hardwoods camo. I got 2 jackets for 150$. Always get a few pairs of everything, that way when you destroy your clothes in the bush, you have some more. I learned that the hard way last year.

Thunderstix
09-27-2007, 05:15 AM
I am pissed with Cabela's at the moment and in fact am having a respectful war of words with Andrea from their Customer Service Dept. The total of my merchandise was 150 bucks and when I hit the grand total button they tacked on 58 buck for "duty and tax" on behalf of the Canadian govt. Then there was shipping on top of that. Totally insane so I did not hit the final submit button but instead wrote them an email which to my surprise they responded to. They said they had no control over such matters which is Bull. I am now awaiting their response to my email of yesterday askng when it became Cabela's responsibility to pay duty etc on my behalf.....which it isn't.
All I am saying is becareful if you order from Cabela's.

tikkat3
09-27-2007, 07:48 AM
When I bought my gear from cabela's, the total was 200$. The pants were 120, Then I had to pay 36$ shipping for 4 day air, and the rest ($44) was tax and duty. Either way, I got 2 pairs of pants for the price of one pair of brownings, and I would have had to pay the tax and duty when it got here anyway, so I had no problem with the transaction.

bighornbob
09-27-2007, 08:10 AM
I am pissed with Cabela's at the moment and in fact am having a respectful war of words with Andrea from their Customer Service Dept. The total of my merchandise was 150 bucks and when I hit the grand total button they tacked on 58 buck for "duty and tax" on behalf of the Canadian govt. Then there was shipping on top of that. Totally insane so I did not hit the final submit button but instead wrote them an email which to my surprise they responded to. They said they had no control over such matters which is Bull. I am now awaiting their response to my email of yesterday askng when it became Cabela's responsibility to pay duty etc on my behalf.....which it isn't.
All I am saying is becareful if you order from Cabela's.

Why are you upset with Cabelas?? If they dont charge you any of the stuff it will just get stopped at the border by customs and you will pay, GST, PST and Duty and its held by customs for as long as they want.

BHB

RMG
09-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I have mail ordered may items from suppliers out of the States, mainly things that we cannot get locally. It has never been in my interest to pay the Duty, taxes etc to the supplier. I insist on my stuff entering Canada through the mail system, and pay all duties through them. 90% of the time, the duties are waived, and about 75% of the time the taxes are also waived. If the supplier wont ship by Post Office, I find another supplier. It may take a bit longer to receive your stuff, but time is money. Even better to shop locally, that way you know what your into, from the get go.

Thunderstix
09-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Thank you RMG as that is exactly my experience also. Why would I WANT to pay duty through Cabela's when I usually do not get charged.

Trevor60
10-14-2007, 03:40 PM
If you want cheap wool pants check out your local Goodwill. They usually have a decent selection of wool pants at rock bottom prices. If your lucky you might even find a pair Filson's.
Same goes for wool sweaters.

pupper
10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
big game archery in abbotsford has some new clothing made of fleece at a reasonable price, + some boots. If you visit hubs in abby you might want to check out big game archery as well 604-859-2086.

yeagers in the states has a good selection if you go south

justin

MIL720
10-14-2007, 05:28 PM
EBAY.....buy all my clothing on ebay.cheap cheap cheap...

JeffR
10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I checked out the army surplus store on Broadway last week also, I don't know if I saw the ones you were describing..? Wouldn't wool be too warm for early season?

I went to Wally World Lougheed Mall but they ran out of mediums of the Remington ($59). Apparently will restock soon, we'll see. They seem comfy enough.

The ones I have are olive drab army surplus wool. They had some heavy grey ones there last time I went that might be a little on the warm side, but the olive ones are a great weight. I were them camping in the summer and hunting in November. Always comfortable.