PDA

View Full Version : In search of black bear information

AnthonyF
04-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sure that this has been asked before, apologies in advance. I'm looking for any information I can get on black bears especially in the Fraser Valley.

I'd really like to learn more specifically about habitat, tracking, people's preferred method of hunting ( stand vs stalk ), and any tips or tricks.

If anyone has an articles, videos, or even information based on personal experience I would really appreciate it.

Wild one
04-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Have you searched the threads on this forum?

what are you looking for big, meat, or colour?

Yes you can get s black bear in region 2 but you’re odds really increases if you take at least a long weekend and go elsewhere. I recommend this it increases the time of day they are active, less pressure, usually see more and they are less skiddish

Lower mainland Harrison, skagit, chilliwack and norrish creek are places I have taken bear in the past. Not what they used to be but bears are around

AnthonyF
04-05-2019, 04:04 PM
I have searched the forums, I found alot of people wanting to know how to shoot a bear ten minutes after going out. I want to learn about the species as a whole more than what my core textbook explained

Fella
04-05-2019, 04:15 PM
They like nice weather but don’t like being out when it’s 30 degrees and they are active in the later afternoon into the evening. In the spring they like grass and fawns, in the fall they like berries and whatever else they can cram down their gullet.

Boner
04-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sure that this has been asked before, apologies in advance. I'm looking for any information I can get on black bears especially in the Fraser Valley.

I'd really like to learn more specifically about habitat, tracking, people's preferred method of hunting ( stand vs stalk ), and any tips or tricks.

If anyone has an articles, videos, or even information based on personal experience I would really appreciate it.

I have searched the forums, I found alot of people wanting to know how to shoot a bear ten minutes after going out. I want to learn about the species as a whole more than what my core textbook explained

You’re taking the fun out of hunting. Honestly. It’s fun going out and making experiences, not just studying something to death on the internet.

If you’re looking for stories with a portion of truth to them, there are two excellent books by Clayton Mack. They’re stories about the grizzlies he’s encountered over the years as a guide.

Wild one
04-05-2019, 04:16 PM

I know I have personally posted info that goes in depth into a few factors involved but if you have any direct? Myself and others here will answer

ask away

AnthonyF
04-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info fella, you know boner you gave me a bit of a different perspective I guess you are right, I'm just looking for basic information about the species sadly I work 60+ hours a week so I have to be a weekend warrior I'm just really interested in bears and was looking for a documentary. I definitely will try to find those books !

Jordan f.
04-05-2019, 04:41 PM
-South facing slopes green up first

-Mid afternoon to evening is the most active.. but people take em all hours of the day.

-spot n stalk is my favorite. Glass lots.

-watch to make sure there are no cubs close by

Quiet Hunter
09-12-2019, 09:49 PM
A lot of great info thanks guys. I just moved to Port Coquitlam and am trying to figure out where to go to hunt. I kayaked to widgidon camp grounds and saw the pine cone burke sign there that said hunting is allowed. Anyone hunt there and know if its good?

Thanks
QH

HikerHunter
01-18-2021, 06:05 PM
I was curious if anyone had an idea of what the black bear population is around norrish creek? How worried should i be while hiking through old trails and service roads?

Arctic Lake
01-18-2021, 07:04 PM
Books on black bears , YouTube , Write or email to the B.C. Environment I’m pretty sure they will send you some written information . Contact the biologist for Region 2
Arctic Lake

Hey guys,

backstrap
01-18-2021, 07:31 PM
Dandelions, find a good crop of flowering dandelions. They graze them like cattle. Especially on nice May evenings. If you find a patch it’s easy to tell if they are using it as there’s skat everywhere and lots of the heads are eaten off. Once they go to seed your time to hunt that patch is limited and you’ll have to follow them onwards and upwards.

albravo2
01-18-2021, 07:42 PM
A regular on here named Caddisguy has posted a ton of cool blackbear info. If you can find a few of those threads I think you'll find what you are looking for.

RackStar
01-18-2021, 08:23 PM
I was curious if anyone had an idea of what the black bear population is around norrish creek? How worried should i be while hiking through old trails and service roads?

no more / less worried then driving through Richmond

HikerHunter
01-19-2021, 11:06 AM
lmao alright.

Jagermeister
01-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Hibernating black bears depend on the fat stored in their bodies to tide them over. Upon emergence, they have to graze like cattle to purge their gut of the leftovers of winter, bunged up fat. This might take them a while and once relieved, they start searching for high quality protein. Like placenta, new born fawns and/or calves.
So here's the trick. Take a fawn in distress call with you. Search for some does, bearing or not. Plant your butt down making sure your back is covered by a tree or large rock, you don't want Yogi hi-assing in from the backside with your back exposed. Now proceed to blow on your fawn distress call. Bear in mind that you may see a doe or two show up and they can be just as dangerous as a bear, maybe moreso as they are arriving to protect a fawn, theirs or not. Of course, you can wail away on the call if you happened to spot a bear too. They get stupid with the thought of a "rich" meal.

walks with deer
01-19-2021, 09:48 PM
no more / less worried then driving through Richmond

yup thats why for locals norrish creek is called sucide creek.

walks with deer
01-19-2021, 09:50 PM
Hibernating black bears depend on the fat stored in their bodies to tide them over. Upon emergence, they have to graze like cattle to purge their gut of the leftovers of winter, bunged up fat. This might take them a while and once relieved, they start searching for high quality protein. Like placenta, new born fawns and/or calves.
So here's the trick. Take a fawn in distress call with you. Search for some does, bearing or not. Plant your butt down making sure your back is covered by a tree or large rock, you don't want Yogi hi-assing in from the backside with your back exposed. Now proceed to blow on your fawn distress call. Bear in mind that you may see a doe or two show up and they can be just as dangerous as a bear, maybe moreso as they are arriving to protect a fawn, theirs or not. Of course, you can wail away on the call if you happened to spot a bear too. They get stupid with the thought of a "rich" meal.

I have seen black bears kill fawns right infront of me.
the 400 grain bullet dropped it right after.