PDA

View Full Version : Snow levels around horsefly?

willyqbc
04-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Hows the spring thaw lookin out horsefly way? Tryin to figure out when to try and make a burn out to our place at plato island....like to get a jump on my spring cleaning and be set for the spring well before its time to go tip over a bear!

Thanks for any local info!
Chris

srupp
04-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Hmmm Chris..might have time and inclination to be actually right on your cabins area on Saturday..
Will send a PM.on snow levels.
Cheers
Steven
One of THE best black bear concentrations is behind your cabin..however you probably already knowed that.

Jagermeister
04-04-2019, 08:08 PM
I was talking to a lady from the Puddle on Tuesday. She was telling me that the snow was still knee deep at the gate to their strata at Haggin’s Point. Highways only plow to the gate.

tigrr
04-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Ha ha call us in a month. The roads around here are horrendous. 4X4 only with high clearance. B Bears come out after the 7th of May. G Bears are out by the first of May. Don't worry the pack rats are getting along just fine out that way. I kid.
We are experiencing the worst roads in 5 years. Weird since last year we had 108 inches of snow and this year only 63 inches of snow. Ice/slush on the lake is still 20 inches thick.

TimberPig
04-04-2019, 09:18 PM
I'd bet at least a couple more weeks to get in, between snow levels and mud that follows, plus the shade of the North slope the road is on. It's been since the road stopped being plowed after Dan and Bonnie sold it since anyone could make it in this early in a highway legal vehicle easily.

BTW, I'm four spots over from you, and have had the the place since '05, so I have a pretty good idea of when the road usually opens up.

srupp
04-04-2019, 11:27 PM
Hmmm thanks guys..saved me a trip..lol already have tinny on canopy..roads that bad will not be good for boat or rack..will try April 20th With rifle and my new black bear tag..
Steven

willyqbc
04-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the info folks! Unfortunately confirmed my suspicions! Im jones'in to get my boat out fishin and shake down all the winter projects added on! Prolly have to go dunk it in dragon...or maybe run down to lac le hache in a few weeks!

Thnx again for the info!

Huntingtyler123
04-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Bump. Curious if you guys got any more snow fall up there this past week?

scttlp86
04-13-2019, 02:50 PM
My father in-law went up to his cabin at Quesnel lake last weekend. He said the ice is almost off but there were a few iffy spots on the drive in where snow was still pretty deep in the shade

Huntingtyler123
04-13-2019, 03:28 PM
My father in-law went up to his cabin at Quesnel lake last weekend. He said the ice is almost off but there were a few iffy spots on the drive in where snow was still pretty deep in the shade

Thanks for the info

srupp
04-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Hmmm ice came off Williams Lake in past 3 days.
Srupp

willyqbc
04-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the updates folks!

Where abouts on the lake is your father in laws cabin scttlp?

BCMarc
04-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Bump. Curious if you guys got any more snow fall up there this past week?
We got a couple of inches on two separate mornings this week. All melted off by late afternoon.

scttlp86
04-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the updates folks!

Where abouts on the lake is your father in laws cabin scttlp?

Their cabin is on horsefly-quesnel lake road, north side of horsefly bay.

willyqbc
04-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Some nice spots on the bluff there! not far from me...10 minute boat ride. Can be VERY good fishing right around their place!

scttlp86
04-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Ya the area is pretty nice. They bought the place last year, looking forward to bringing the family up there more and doing some fishing and exploring

tigrr
04-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Roads = 4X4 + good winch + lots of rope or cable. No cell service so you better be prepared to get yourself out.
-1 this morning. I hope the roads get better soon.

Huntingtyler123
05-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Bump. Any new Info with conditions up in the area , sightings ?

XPEIer
05-11-2019, 04:04 PM
you should be good to go, we could not get from Crooked to Bosk almost 2 weeks ago, but the heat now should have taken care of any snow.

XPEIER

srupp
05-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm im headed out for 10...14 days to Horsefly to camp look around for BIG RED....a very large reddish colored black bear ive played tag with for 3 springs.try the new generator, new barb que..with this old body .
I will be at Lemon lake.usually Mothers day is golden..so one day later..I can go up Horsefly mountain to chase the retreating snow level and the greeing grass.going solo..have to watch carefully for resident grizzly bears.
Susan has been amazing ensuring all the extras are stocked in the travel trailer.
Looking forward to this trip.
Cheers
Steven

tigrr
05-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Snowmobilers were at Horsefly mountain last Thursday. good luck

srupp
05-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Snowmobilers were at Horsefly mountain last Thursday. good luck

Hmmmmm thank you..good update. ..that should concentrate the bears..know lots of trails and cuts and areas some high some low..
Dont remember too many blacks up past 17 km..mostly grizzly..so whatever is snowed in..eliminate..lol be a great outing I hope.
Certainly well equipped, stocked, locked..loaded.
Going to pack the Sako .338..far more than needed for blacks however pretty good concentration of grizzlies from 14 km and beyond.
Put out a trail cam..a tent blind..and do some running and gunning.
Tigrr..you know where to stop for a coffee. .
Cheers
Steven

Huntingtyler123
05-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Will be heading up there Friday early morning , maybe see you up there

srupp
05-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Will be heading up there Friday early morning , maybe see you up there

Hmmm I will be on the main road..@7 km...within a good golf shot of Lemon lake...27 foot Citation travel trailer, Ford King ranch..green crew cab, with canopy and 12 food Lund aluminum boat over the canopy on aluminum boat rack.
If miss each other good hunting, straight shooting..be careful..more than a few grizzlies in there.
2019 Honda 500cc atv camo..
Certainly be there for 10 days..even if I need to get a second tag.
Cheers
Steven

cdub
05-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Stop in a Sunshine ranch and say hi to the Laffers. Great people

srupp
05-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Stop in a Sunshine ranch and say hi to the Laffers. Great people

Hmmm isn't he a butcher . drive right by his place. ..

Steven

Huntingtyler123
05-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Hmmm isn't he a butcher . drive right by his place. ..

Steven

ill keep an eye out for you for sure. Checkin our wiffle lake first though. If he’s a butcher maybe I’ll stop by also haha hopefully I’ll need one

cdub
05-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Yes they are butchers. Always had them skin cut and wrap and shared a few drinks and campfires. Great people. Sylvia and Franz