PDA

View Full Version : Gerber Vital Pack Saw versus Mossy Oak

Would Rather Be Fishing
04-03-2019, 01:41 PM
I am looking to buy bone saw. I like the form factor of the folding Multi Purpose Saw's like the Mossy Oak (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071Z1Y34D/?coliid=I19X5YWEHVIBXE&colid=HN2F2JQR9BYV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). Efficient and I like the fact that they can do camp double duty (wood). I did come across the Gerber Vital Pack Saw (https://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Saws/Vital-Pack-Saw_31-002741) and the form factor is alluring. While the double duty goes out the window, it seems rather small-ish for large game?

Any thoughts?

Wild one
04-03-2019, 01:53 PM
I have a Gerber folding saw similar to the Mossy oak one in your post and as a bone saw the design is awkward and not very efficient. I do like it for clearing branches in my tree stand an stuff like that

If you are going to use it for bone avoid this style of saw. The cheap fixed blade bone saws from Canadian tire work better or a hatchet and hammer

willyqbc
04-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Go with a wyoming saw...get a bone blade and wood blade. Comes apart into a narrow belt pack. Ive abused mine for over a decade and still good as new...highly reccomend!

Squamch
04-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Silky saw with a fine tooth and a coarse tooth blade. Quality Japanese pull saw.

338win mag
04-04-2019, 07:42 AM
I have 2 saws in my pack or nearby, a simple folding saw for wood and a small 16" meat saw, I have found little hassle with the small meat saw as its less than 1/2" wide and dont even know its in the pack.

BRvalley
04-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Silky saw with a fine tooth and a coarse tooth blade. Quality Japanese pull saw.

x2 works great for me

bcsteve
04-04-2019, 01:56 PM

x2 works great for me
X3. Exactly what I have as well.

tyreguy
04-04-2019, 03:04 PM
The Gerber saw did not work at all for me - as the blade was tightened it warped the saw and never did work properly like it should - save your money.

But, in 1984 i bought a saw with bone blade on one side and wood on the other while in Northern California - they were known as Knapp Saws with a solid handle but mine has a collapsible handle. i still use this saw today and have never sharpened it but keep in mind this is used for splitting the pelvis and opening the ribcage. I never use it for wood - would generate too much heat in the blade.

bigneily
04-04-2019, 04:12 PM
The Gerber saw did not work at all for me - as the blade was tightened it warped the saw and never did work properly like it should - save your money.

But, in 1984 i bought a saw with bone blade on one side and wood on the other while in Northern California - they were known as Knapp Saws with a solid handle but mine has a collapsible handle. i still use this saw today and have never sharpened it but keep in mind this is used for splitting the pelvis and opening the ribcage. I never use it for wood - would generate too much heat in the blade.
I have this same knapp saw you speak of here , My dad bought it for me in the mid 80's from the states and it has done a crap load of animals . awesome tool for sure .

steel_ram
04-04-2019, 06:04 PM
I have a Fiskars folding saw. Works great and is probably cheaper than a hunter's brand.

Elkaddict
04-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Where are guys getting bone blades for your Silkys? Lee Valley now only carries the wood blade.

BRvalley
04-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Where are guys getting bone blades for your Silkys? Lee Valley now only carries the wood blade.

I replaced one blade on a silky but wasn't a fine tooth blade, you can order from Silky's website but the shipping was just as much as the blade....I ordered from Amazon.ca, free shipping with a prime account

bcsteve
04-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Amazon as well. Bought a saw with a coarse blade for wood locally then ordered a fine tooth blade from amazon.

Treed
04-06-2019, 11:28 PM
MEC carries them (silky). I use them for work - cutting roots in soil pits and for cutting game. A finer blade would be nicer but I think we over analyze everything. It just needs to do what it needs to do. Perfect is for the guy replacing your hip.

Arctic Lake
04-07-2019, 09:34 AM
Rather Be Fishing. Are you looking for a bone saw to have along when doing hike in hunting . How much weight would you want to carry ? There are smallish length butcher saws available to purchase from places like Stuffers Supply if you wanted a bone saw at a drive in base camp . As others have mentioned a fine tooth blade is what you want a tad bigger tooth than a hack saw blade not quite as fine. Pork packers saw 18”
Arctic Lake