PDA

View Full Version : It's The Year Of The Stone Sheep

Helitech
03-31-2019, 04:44 AM
Hello everyone,

So this year is my year for a attempt at a successful stone sheep hunt. Work for me is super busy during the summer months going into mid September never giving me the opportunity for a August sheep hunt. Last June my wife gave birth to our beautiful daughter and it has been nothing short of amazing! Through frugal living and financial planning we decided that I am going on parental leave for4 months starting August 2019. ( Funny how I get 4 months off during hunting season). My wife has given me the opportunity and her full support for me to go chase sheep during the last two weeks of August. To better this yet she agreed to let me spend the big bucks and hire a charter plane. I don't know about you guys and gals but this seems like I'm winning the lottery. It's also the year I turn 30, so we are taking it as one big spectacular birthday present to myself, normally my wife is beside me every step during hunting season but with a new child she says she will stay behind and join another hunt in the future. I've been on a fly in carboy hunt west of Dease Lake in the past with success, and I've been on a hike in from the Alaska highway South of toad river for sheep, beautiful country just not a lot of sheep and guides were in there with not much success. I've been physically training, adding a few gear items to the list and searching this forum and Google earthing till I'm cross eyed. My father and possibly another close friend will be joining for the adventure and 3 guys splitting the plane cost helps out as well. I'd much appreciate some suggestions, maybe places not to fly too and waste my golden opportunity or for those that like sharing giving me some suggestions on places that would up our chances of success. I keep mapping to Dall Lake. I mean looks very sheepish on Google earth! Is Dease Lake the best spot to fly from and head west into the mountains into some random Lake? I see there is a charter company close to liard river operating a float plane and head east and South? Thanks again for reading my chapter and hope to get some positive feedback!

archerylife
03-31-2019, 07:50 AM
if you fly out of tattoga rather than muncho lake you'll save yourself two thirds of the price! dease lake is also cheaper than muncho

mod7rem
03-31-2019, 10:52 AM
Dall lake is a great choice. Multiple directions you can go and find sheep. 3 is a good number for saving on flight costs as well. If it were just two guys it might not be cheaper flying out of Dease ot tattoga vs Munch because you have to book a beaver, but with three it probably will be.

Helitech
03-31-2019, 02:04 PM
Dall lake is a great choice. Multiple directions you can go and find sheep. 3 is a good number for saving on flight costs as well. If it were just two guys it might not be cheaper flying out of Dease ot tattoga vs Munch because you have to book a beaver, but with three it probably will be.

Thanks for the tips, we flew tsayta out of Dease Lake 10 years ago in there beaver, i assume similar plane from tattoga? What is in Muncho Lake maybe a cessna? I assume alot cheaper per mile even though it could be a further ride.

mod7rem
03-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Muncho lake uses a turbo otter and a caravan, but he charges based on max weight of the planes he used to have. 650lbs (Cessna 206), 1200ish lbs (beaver), etc.
So if you have more than two guys, then it might be cheaper to book a beaver from Dease or tattoga compared to booking 1200lbs at muncho lake. Less driving as well.

Helitech
04-03-2019, 08:38 PM
I’ve done some google mapping on Dall lake and see there is a few buildings. I’m assuming this would be quite outfitting and would be a fairly busy spot to hunt? Also seen on here some sort of trail up a valley to shark tooth mountain. Any info on that if it’s open?