PDA

View Full Version : When To Place Trail Cams?

PointMan
03-30-2019, 05:00 PM
I know a lot of you run trail cams all year long, and I guess it's never TOO late to place them, but when is optimal? I went out to place a couple today, but there was almost 2 feet of snow on the road I needed to access, so it's going to be a while before I can get in there. Normally I'd consider borrowing a pair of snowshoes and take the hike just for the exercise, but I have a 50 pond mineral block I want to drop there too, and given the distance, I'd rather have a little more road behind me before I tackle the hike.

Boner
03-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Pick up a small mineral block for pack ins. They’re the size of a large brick.

I try and get my cams out when nighttime temps are above zero to try and stretch out my batteries.

slowjo
03-30-2019, 05:37 PM
i wait till most of the snow is gone so that access is easy. warmer nights are better for the batteries too. i hiked a big salt block in on a frame pack once....never again. in some spots i get literally thousands of pics in may, june, july...down to hundreds of pics in august....down to less than 100 during the hunting season. but in other spots i get just a few prime animals, bucks and bulls, all through the spring, summer and fall. it took me a long time to figure it all out.

whitetailsheds
03-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Optimal time? As soon as spring temps start.
Preferably on a well used game trail, fence line, natural lick, man made lick (huge success with sidewalk salt, 50 lb bags), bedding areas!
I leave mine out on my active spots year round.
Come late fall, or one of my last trips before winter, I'll replace batteries/ new SD card. Leave them out over winter.
Most of the cold temps, they batteries give out, but come warmer temp days and spring they fire back up.

Piperdown
03-30-2019, 06:17 PM
12 months a year

barry1974w
03-30-2019, 09:45 PM
I’m not a real experienced trail cam guy, but I’ve been leaving mine (all two of em) out all year. Haven’t been getting too much for winter pictures though

Ourea
03-31-2019, 09:04 AM
If you don't have any prime locations figured out I would recommend bird dogging around soon as the snow lifts.
The first few weeks after the snow has lifted trails stick out like sore thumbs as the soil is damp and new growth vegetation hasn't started yet.