PDA

View Full Version : trip wasnt meant to be

trigger
09-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Well for over 6 months now i have been planning on going elk hunting in the koots. Me and a buddy were going to head that way to meet up with hunter1947 who is still there waiting for me. But it does not seem like i am going to make it. One thing after another keeps happening and preventing me from making my way there. First thing my buddy waited till the last minute to ask for time off, well he didnt get the time off. we were planning on using his truck to tow my trailer down and we were going to stay for at least a couple of weeks. so now im in a bind trying to find a light trailer so my truck can tow it. I go to insure my truck so it doesnt run out while im there and i have to get a vehicle inspection done on it. the place that is certified to do one is booked untill late this week. my buddy then comes over to my house and offers me his truck. says you can use it for the trip but i would like half of an elk if you get one. Not a problem. So i spend the next couple of days getting all packed and ready , took the truck in for a service and got them to check the transmission and everything and all was good. At 5 o clock this morning i am now on my way. things are looking good. as im driving im dreaming of elk and deer and some of the fun times i hope to have. well about 50 kms away from my house my trip ends with a blown transmission. I have bcaa so i got it towed back to town and its deffinetly gonners. they wont beable to fix it for a week. Plus now i have about a 3600 dollar bill. Well at least it didnt happen further along the way. My truck will be all good to go tomorrow but im not so sure i want to try my luck again. i wont be pulling my trailer i will just take a tent. what does everybody think? Should i try my luck or chalk it up and try next year? opinions would be muchly appreciated.

browningboy
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Depends on your financial situation, but what the hell, you got 47' down there and if you sit at home what will you do, just mope around and end up regreting it.
As for the tranny, can't bee 100% your fault, if you put 50km's on it I highly believe that it was on its way out, if the truck has over 150K Km on it than what are you supposed to do, you can't be held responsible 100%, thats ludicrous.
Go......Hunt.....Elk!
My 2 cents

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
You blew your tranny, or your bud's???

Either way, it SUCKS. I'd say if you can get there, even w/ a tent... GO! H47 is a Huntin Fool... You'd be kicking youself in the ass if you didn't.

GO GO GO!!!

Dayto
09-19-2007, 10:16 AM
just for it , give the trucks a quick tune up ,plugs,filters,fluids . And head for the elk some of the best trips can start out as the "Trip from hell"

Cheers and Good luck.

K-1
09-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Find something closer to home to hunt this year. Get things worked out & set up for next year. Driving all that way being a bit 'PO" doesn't make a good start for a hunt.

Gateholio
09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Take tent, go hunitng...Hunter 1947 seems to knwo what he is doing when it comes to elk, you'd be crazy to miss out.:eek:

elkdom
09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
The vegetable gods are screwing with your mind! the best trips can start out as sh*t and seem to get worse ,but if you are not determined enough to get there you may miss the hunt of a lifetime, get of yur rear,det that deer!

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
The vegetable gods are screwing with your mind! the best trips can start out as sh*t and seem to get worse ,but if you are not determined enough to get there you may miss the hunt of a lifetime, get of yur rear,det that deer!

I'm thinking that this may very well be one of those...

dukester
09-19-2007, 11:02 AM
GO HUNTING. GO HUNTING.. sleep in a tent or your vehicle. i'v never slpet in a trailer with the comforts so i know no better.. just giver. now you what you need and have to do for next year. Vehicle and new hunting partner.

Smokepole
09-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Just go for it. As I get older I regret the things that I didn't do more than the things I have done.

elkdom
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
SOME sound advice from a mech, who feels a hunting trip can not be stopped by any minor problem! Have (HUNTING urge MUST TRAVEL)

HighCountry
09-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Just go hunting enjoy it and have fun while you still can.

beeker
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Go shoot yourself an elk and then when you get back the rest of the bs will just make re-telling the story of your trip that much more legendary!!

todbartell
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
go hunting, your luck is bound to change!

Elkaholic
09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Come down here hunting!! The weather has changed this week and the bulls are screaming now. Use a tent dont have too much pride ;)

Radar
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Hunt! Go for it.....you could be dead this time next month....

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Are you there yet?

:-P

trigger
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
well guys. i really appreciate it. I have been spending this morning trying to regroup in my head. I have read all of your posts and i thank all of you. But i regret to inform you that..........
HAHA YOU WILL HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE STORIES WHEN I GET BACK. cause im packing my stuff in my small little truck and im headiner again tomorrow morning. wish me luck. thanks again guys and girls. gotta get movin here tho. talk soon

tmarschall
09-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Geez.... I bet he thot about it for like 3 seconds!! He in for the hunt of a lifetime with Hunter1947 for sure, can't wait to hear the stories!!

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I think that he should now pass steaks out to all that encouraged.

YUM YUM.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I had similar problems before a spring grizz hunt one year. Everything went from bad to worse, had a few breakdowns on the highway, sh*t weather & other problems for the first 6 days of the hunt. Then on day 7 we whacked an awesome grizz!

Imagine if I had decided to call it quits before we left.....

Sounds like our grizz hunt this spring. The more things that went wrong, the more I kept saying ..."It's gonna be a booner":cool:...........well, as it turned out...........it could have been a booner...................:roll:.

Best of luck on your trip Trigger!!

SSS(Skull Smasher Steve):roll:

Speaking of skull smashing....Calvin, where the hell is my bullet???;-)

srupp
09-19-2007, 02:03 PM
hmmm I MUST hold the record for bad shit happening this spring...ended up saying screw it..and WENT HUNTING ANYWAY....had a blast glad guys like Stone cold Steve..er SSS..LOL and such gave me good advice get going...and others like Stonechaser kicked my ass and I appreciated both and all...we dont know what tomorrow will hold get er done...

Steven

horshur
09-19-2007, 03:20 PM
well guys. i really appreciate it. I have been spending this morning trying to regroup in my head. I have read all of your posts and i thank all of you. But i regret to inform you that..........
HAHA YOU WILL HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE STORIES WHEN I GET BACK. cause im packing my stuff in my small little truck and im headiner again tomorrow morning. wish me luck. thanks again guys and girls. gotta get movin here tho. talk soon

Good for you--go and shoot a big one.

kennyg826
09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Smoke em if ya got em.:lol: Get that royal.

BlacktailStalker
09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Scotty you meat head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I told you those bulls were screaming and fighting when I left, you're a fool not to go.
Go get a damn bull or no record spring bear for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's making you pay the $3600 bill??????? I have a foot you can lend his ass if you want, thats BS if you didnt get more than 100 km, its obvious it was on it's way out...

I'm talking my way out of heading up again solo (from here) for a week right now. It was that good when I left. If the moose hunt isnt a go at the end of october I'll see you there. (Trying to get a for sure answer from a couple guys hummin-n-hawin')

sparkes3
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo

calvin L
09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Go hunting . There will always be another trans .might not be another hunting trip

stone sheep steve . I beleeve your bullet is in the back on the scull in the freezer COULD HAVE BEEN A BOONER YOU SOB :wink:

rock
09-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I'd drive all night to hunt one day specially if I new it was a good spot, go for it otherwise you'll regret it.

curt
09-19-2007, 10:04 PM
I would say go for it you have planned it for a while dont back down make it happen you will enjoy it even more now:mrgreen: