PDA

View Full Version : Black bear season

scotty30-06
03-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Hey folks....with the season of the bruin right around the corner...I am trying to make a choice....do i hunt harrison qhere i know the turf or to i stretch my legs into whistler squamish area?...decisions decisions

Wild one
03-28-2019, 02:28 PM
None of those choices go north west/west of Lytton

Bubbacanuck
03-28-2019, 02:47 PM
This is my first spring and I’m in the LM, so sounds like similar areas I was thinking. I can make it to Squamish/Whistler in a lot less time than Harrison, so I’m leaning that way myself

Huntingtyler123
03-28-2019, 03:36 PM
This is my first spring and I’m in the LM, so sounds like similar areas I was thinking. I can make it to Squamish/Whistler in a lot less time than Harrison, so I’m leaning that way myself

thats what I was thinking also but by the time you drive far enough in past the no shooting zones you could either be over the Duffy or on the coquihalla somewhere. Not saying it’s a bad idea but I think I’d go further away personally

Bubbacanuck
03-28-2019, 03:56 PM
thats what I was thinking also but by the time you drive far enough in past the no shooting zones you could either be over the Duffy or on the coquihalla somewhere. Not saying it’s a bad idea but I think I’d go further away personally

Duffy and Coquihalla are also areas I plan to possibly hit :) spring is early so bears are out!

Wild one
03-28-2019, 04:22 PM
Duffy and Coquihalla are also areas I plan to possibly hit :) spring is early so bears are out!

Wanna bet bears don’t really start hitting the ground till after the first week of May ;-)

Fella
03-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Go for a ride but bears usually don’t really start moving until May. Especially if you’re going up to areas that are higher elevation

bc_buckshot
03-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Wanna bet bears don’t really start hitting the ground till after the first week of May ;-)

I agree sorta to that statement. Bears usually don’t hit the ground till May because normally the smaller bears are out now and isn’t till May when you see bigger boats roaming around so yeah May is when bears hit the ground. But there are bears out now as I’m typing. True story

Dour
03-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Bears are awake in places already start looking.

Wild one
03-28-2019, 05:21 PM
I agree sorta to that statement. Bears usually don’t hit the ground till May because normally the smaller bears are out now and isn’t till May when you see bigger boats roaming around so yeah May is when bears hit the ground. But there are bears out now as I’m typing. True story

Some never sleep in the lower mainland and island so I don’t doubt you for a second some bears are up now

Some truth in the little ones are up first (often poor den sites) but even overall numbers is May as well

caddisguy
03-28-2019, 05:57 PM
There are bears everywhere.

Dangit. No more bear talk. You guys are going to get my temptations going :)

Wild one
03-28-2019, 06:02 PM
There are bears everywhere.

Dangit. No more bear talk. You guys are going to get my temptations going :)

I can see patches without snow in my front yard so I am starting to plan lol

Huntingtyler123
03-28-2019, 06:38 PM
I’m so excited it’s hard to wait haha

caddisguy
03-28-2019, 06:46 PM
I can see patches without snow in my front yard so I am starting to plan lol

I am not going to shoot a bear this year
I am probably not going to shoot a bear this year
I am not not going to shoot a bear this year

Oops how did that tag get in my pack

Dangit

I am really questioning my self control. I can tell myself all the crap I want and half believe it, but it's like swimming against the current.

Wild one
03-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Caddisguy you need to start getting really picky is all lol

two-feet
03-28-2019, 07:59 PM
I will be trying for spring bear this year after a few years off, need sausages for camping season.

Just
03-28-2019, 08:04 PM
I will be trying for spring bear this year after a few years off, need sausages for camping season.
Ya man me too! Need some meat in the freezer and been thinking bout makin sausage this year with blueberries. Can’t wait, and it doesn’t sound like it’ll be long now with all this hot weather!

Wild one
03-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Is your fancy stick going to be ready

scotty30-06
03-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Love all the bear talk....might have a little peek around Lytton aswell hahah

Wild one
03-28-2019, 08:20 PM
Love all the bear talk....might have a little peek around Lytton aswell hahah

Lytton it self meh but Spence’s is better. Neither are great for big bears but lots of colour. Have fun when they go down a ravine in that area it’s awesome lol

bring lots of rope ;)

two-feet
03-28-2019, 08:46 PM
Is your fancy stick going to be ready
actually the damn thing snapped in half due to a failed glue joint. Luckily my dad has a pile of bows ready to go. I need some shooting time and will probably try hunting for bear with a bow in late summer in a huge expanse of saskatoons.

Wild one
03-28-2019, 08:53 PM
actually the damn thing snapped in half due to a failed glue joint. Luckily my dad has a pile of bows ready to go. I need some shooting time and will probably try hunting for bear with a bow in late summer in a huge expanse of saskatoons.

Too bad I was looking forward to hearing you have success with a bow you made

caddisguy
03-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Hmm. I said I wouldn't "shoot" a bear this year... but when I said that I meant gun.

Maybe I should fling an arrow instead this year?

45freezer
03-28-2019, 09:58 PM
Lytton it self meh but Spence’s is better. Neither are great for big bears but lots of colour. Have fun when they go down a ravine in that area it’s awesome lol

bring lots of rope ;)

Will be up there with the kid for the sheep count next weekend, might just have to spend some time scouting before we head back Sunday.

Hmm. I said I wouldn't "shoot" a bear this year... but when I said that I meant gun.

Maybe I should fling an arrow instead this year?

You already know the answer to that one, just sharpen up those broadheads and stop asking rhetorical questions :rolleyes:

t-rexer
03-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Saw one set of tracks in the snow out past sooke

caddisguy
04-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Sooo...

I went out, pre-season. It's been a while since I have been able to get out. Work is just KILLING me and a lot of my weekends. Wife is slammed too. That and the place I wanted to go still had quite a bit of snow.

Anyway, I got out of the house for a camp trip. Did a little shed hunt, trailcam check/service, sight-in, campfire, cook-out, 10/22 plinking, cleaned up a couple of messy camps, etc.

No bears on the cams (2 out of 3 were still running) ... no poops or tracks. Just enough green grass on a hillside to make a salad. I don't think anything was getting hit by bears. The odd piece was nipped but that could be bunnies or deer... need more grass to tell if a weed whacker has been through, right?

Beauty weekend we had though. It's always awesome seeing everything starting to come back to life (including myself I suppose) ... got some decent cam footage (a couple deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar) over the winter that I'll post up soon.

We'll be getting out the next few weekends hopefully... kinda just camping with a rifle. Later in April might pick up the pace a little bit, all depends on what my company feels like. I'm really into playing the "guide" role for my wife and brother this season. I want to make opportunity for them and maybe film a bit more. Making sure people are comfortable and having a good time is part of it. I don't know how it will all play out or if there will be conclusions but I'm really excited to spend the short time I have trying to contribute to the experiences of others.

Anyway... bit of a change-up and it's going to be fun. Gotta love spring.

Bubbacanuck
04-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Sooo...

I went out, pre-season. It's been a while since I have been able to get out. Work is just KILLING me and a lot of my weekends. Wife is slammed too. That and the place I wanted to go still had quite a bit of snow.

Anyway, I got out of the house for a camp trip. Did a little shed hunt, trailcam check/service, sight-in, campfire, cook-out, 10/22 plinking, cleaned up a couple of messy camps, etc.

No bears on the cams (2 out of 3 were still running) ... no poops or tracks. Just enough green grass on a hillside to make a salad. I don't think anything was getting hit by bears. The odd piece was nipped but that could be bunnies or deer... need more grass to tell if a weed whacker has been through, right?

Beauty weekend we had though. It's always awesome seeing everything starting to come back to life (including myself I suppose) ... got some decent cam footage (a couple deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar) over the winter that I'll post up soon.

We'll be getting out the next few weekends hopefully... kinda just camping with a rifle. Later in April might pick up the pace a little bit, all depends on what my company feels like. I'm really into playing the "guide" role for my wife and brother this season. I want to make opportunity for them and maybe film a bit more. Making sure people are comfortable and having a good time is part of it. I don't know how it will all play out or if there will be conclusions but I'm really excited to spend the short time I have trying to contribute to the experiences of others.

Anyway... bit of a change-up and it's going to be fun. Gotta love spring.

great update and sounds like you got a good spot with that variety of animals. Great time to be out in the woods

tubby
04-02-2019, 05:15 AM
Couple decent sized blackies up at Westwood plateau 18hole.

Arctic Lake
04-02-2019, 08:12 AM
Not sure where I heard it but the old line is "When the Big Black Bumble Bees Are Out The Bears Will Start Coming Out "
Really thinking of hunting black bear this spring never been before .
Arctic Lake

jlirot
04-02-2019, 09:34 AM
I saw a LOT of bear sign when I was out hiking with a rifle during deer season :-) So, I'm going to do a bit of poking around in a couple weeks. I'm around Kamloops up in the mountains and after driving to see no snow at Sun Peaks last weekend I bet it won't be long before they're out.

I have a practical question or two. I'm worried that things might be a bit warm. And if I drop a bear I want to get it cooled down fast. The areas I'm planning to hunt are close to my cabin. I was thinking i could skin and quarter and quickly drop into a chest freezer to cool things down. When I bought the cabin they left a big ole crummy chest freezer. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet so I might as well use it.

My question is: would a butcher still take it for sausages if it's frozen solid? If not, I could just turn the freezer 'up' and try to use it more as a fridge until I could get it to the butcher.

Follow on questions:

1) I plan to just make some roasts and the rest sausage. Any good sausage makers around Kamloops that you can recommend?

2) I give my dog just a bit of raw food everyday (from the butcher) to supplement kibbles. Would you feed your dog bear meat? I worry about parasites. I would think dogs and bears are susceptible to similar parasites. But, after deep freezing for a couple weeks it might be ok. I would feed venison for example without concern.

Wild one
04-02-2019, 09:52 AM
I saw a LOT of bear sign when I was out hiking with a rifle during deer season :-) So, I'm going to do a bit of poking around in a couple weeks. I'm around Kamloops up in the mountains and after driving to see no snow at Sun Peaks last weekend I bet it won't be long before they're out.

I have a practical question or two. I'm worried that things might be a bit warm. And if I drop a bear I want to get it cooled down fast. The areas I'm planning to hunt are close to my cabin. I was thinking i could skin and quarter and quickly drop into a chest freezer to cool things down. When I bought the cabin they left a big ole crummy chest freezer. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet so I might as well use it.

My question is: would a butcher still take it for sausages if it's frozen solid? If not, I could just turn the freezer 'up' and try to use it more as a fridge until I could get it to the butcher.

Follow on questions:

1) I plan to just make some roasts and the rest sausage. Any good sausage makers around Kamloops that you can recommend?

2) I give my dog just a bit of raw food everyday (from the butcher) to supplement kibbles. Would you feed your dog bear meat? I worry about parasites. I would think dogs and bears are susceptible to similar parasites. But, after deep freezing for a couple weeks it might be ok. I would feed venison for example without concern.

Yes a butcher will take frozen deboned meat just keep it in reasonable portion size. I do bags about 15-25 lbs easy to manage and freezes/thaws well

cant help with a butcher in Kamloops but recommend keeping backstraps the are great marinated and cooked on the bbq

If you feed bear meat to your dog I recommend boiling it first. I always do some of the scrap for my dog

caddisguy
04-02-2019, 09:58 AM

Definitely do not feed your dog any raw bear meat. Cook it to an internal temperature of 165 to be safe. A large portion of bears (on average 20% in southern BC and higher as you go north) of bears are infected with trichinella (and the dominant strain can not be killed by freezing) ... tape worms are also pretty common.

Darksith
04-02-2019, 10:06 AM

I thought it was the exact opposite? I thought the big bears came out early and you would find them in the snow on the slashes...?

Wild one
04-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Not sure where I heard it but the old line is "When the Big Black Bumble Bees Are Out The Bears Will Start Coming Out "
Arctic Lake

I don’t pay attention to bees and every area is a little different. I have all my areas pegged out between the use of B.C. Hwy cams, paying attention to growth of veg near home, or snow level on the mountains. This mostly tells me what spot to hunt when

I know lots of guys get excited and run out during early springs but green up is less of a factor than most think. What I found over the years early green up only causes a small portion of bears to wake up early and most action is around the same time every year. All early spring means to me is the bears have more food and spread out more once majority get up. My opinion for timing comes from talking to butchers, taxidermists, GO’s, and years of bear hunting experience from myself and those I hunt with.

I used to run out opening day and invest a stupid amount of time looking for that first bear now I wait and put my effort into it when things are good.

Southern ( lower mainland South Island idea)BC things get started last week April but May 1 is better

Central( Boston bar into region 5) Early May it starts but after first week of May is better

Northern ( parts of region 5 and 6/7) after first week of May but mid May is better

This is general timing and you will need to adjust for elevation as well.

When in doubt if you are booking time off to hunt last week of May first week June bears are awake and starting or rutting

Darksith
04-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Follow on questions:

In kamloops for butchers, If its already deboned and going to be sausage, gary's deli
Interior cut right does good sausage too, he might even sell raw dog food. Not many options around here unfortunately...Interior has been known to mix up meat from time to time, but its usually because hes so busy. He has some good meat cutters there, its more the front end guys that make the mistakes but I think he has that fixed now too...Did we meet at the WSS convention? Ended up at the duchess?

Jagermeister
04-02-2019, 10:42 AM
Ya man me too! Need some meat in the freezer and been thinking bout makin sausage this year with blueberries. Can’t wait, and it doesn’t sound like it’ll be long now with all this hot weather!
If you want blueberry flavour bear meat, find your bruin in fall as he is gorging his self in the blueberry or huckleberry patch.
Spring bear is for summertime bbq’d bear burgers and cured bear back bacon

Wild one
04-02-2019, 10:43 AM
I thought it was the exact opposite? I thought the big bears came out early and you would find them in the snow on the slashes...?

Small bears get pushed into crap den sites so often wake first.

There is an advatage with big bears early in the season but not because they wake early. If you find them early you can pattern them do to less food and food being their number one focus they stick to one good spot to start.

The in the snow on slashes thing I have heard before but It has not done much for me. My opinion this theory can from guys finding a big bear that chose a den at high elevation that is feeding on the limited food available before searching out better options. I have found it’s fairly common for big boars to den at higher elevation

I don’t target slashes and opt for natural feeding areas or landings/pullouts/bends on old roads. There is the odd area I make an exception

Late May early June I find best because the boars are roaming so the big boars that don’t come in the open often exposes them selves traveling. Down side it’s harder to pattern a bear so if you don’t make it happen first time you see him he might not be seen again. You may also have the bear you patterned early in the season disappear on you. But if you find a sow with a boar on good feed you can pattern them again

Basically you have an advantage if you find a big boar early but they are easier to find once they start cruzing for sows

Jagermeister
04-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Follow on questions:

A fellow I know feeds his dogs an exclusive diet of bear meat. He gets a copious supply from his guide friend and he freezes it for no less than 3 months before feeding it to his dogs. This way he is sure that it kills trichanosis.

jlirot
04-02-2019, 11:31 AM
In kamloops for butchers, If its already deboned and going to be sausage, gary's deli
Interior cut right does good sausage too, he might even sell raw dog food. Not many options around here unfortunately...Interior has been known to mix up meat from time to time, but its usually because hes so busy. He has some good meat cutters there, its more the front end guys that make the mistakes but I think he has that fixed now too...Did we meet at the WSS convention? Ended up at the duchess?

Thanks! If I get one - I'll save some for the BBQ and put the rest into reasonable sized packages for the butcher. Might even make some burgers.

But, first I've got to connect. :-)

caddisguy
04-02-2019, 11:35 AM
A fellow I know feeds his dogs an exclusive diet of bear meat. He gets a copious supply from his guide friend and he freezes it for no less than 3 months before feeding it to his dogs. This way he is sure that it kills trichanosis.

The freezing myth comes from pork strains that are common in the south, but the strains that commonly affect bears are immune to freezing. His dog is likely infected but asymptomatic. Dogs likely have a better tolerance for coping with the infection than humans do though. I think it's important we bust the freezing myth as it has the potential to kill in humans.

There have been a few studies on the subject that looked at polar bear that had been frozen for the greater potion or a decade and the parasite was still ready to party. The ideal temperature to preserve the cysts/larva is betwee 0 and -18C.

Here is a study on involving a fox:

During the second part of the study, some of the minced fox muscle, exposed to the initial freeze protocol, was stored for a further 23 weeks at -18 degrees C prior to in vitro and in vivo assessment of larval viability and infectivity. The study demonstrated that Trichinella isolates originating from carnivores from higher northern latitudes expressed highest tolerance to freezing and that temperature fluctuations around freezing point, for up to 7 weeks, had little effect on larval infectivity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18594862

"Unfortunately, the two trichinella species most associated with bears are immune to freezing. These are T. nativa, the Canadian and Alaskan species, and T-6, the dominant species of parasite from a line stretching from about Washington state across to Maine down to the Rockies, the Great Plains, the Midwest and the Northeast — really where all the good bear hunting is. Only southern states appear to be immune to this species. (Here is a map (http://web.stanford.edu/group/parasites/ParaSites2005/Trichinella/trich.html) from a Stanford study.)"

https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405676616300129

Darksith
04-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Small bears get pushed into crap den sites so often wake first.

There is an advatage with big bears early in the season but not because they wake early. If you find them early you can pattern them do to less food and food being their number one focus they stick to one good spot to start.

The in the snow on slashes thing I have heard before but It has not done much for me. My opinion this theory can from guys finding a big bear that chose a den at high elevation that is feeding on the limited food available before searching out better options. I have found it’s fairly common for big boars to den at higher elevation

I don’t target slashes and opt for natural feeding areas or landings/pullouts/bends on old roads. There is the odd area I make an exception

Late May early June I find best because the boars are roaming so the big boars that don’t come in the open often exposes them selves traveling. Down side it’s harder to pattern a bear so if you don’t make it happen first time you see him he might not be seen again. You may also have the bear you patterned early in the season disappear on you. But if you find a sow with a boar on good feed you can pattern them again

Basically you have an advantage if you find a big boar early but they are easier to find once they start cruzing for sows
Interesting and good to know. I guess where could also be relevant for that timing. The snow pack will last longer the farther north and higher up you go, some southern areas will have less snow higher up earlier. Maybe next year I will book my VI hunt after may long rather than earlier, but I want a nice hide so thats part of my reasoning. I will be hunting around Kamloops May long and after

Wild one
04-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Interesting and good to know. I guess where could also be relevant for that timing. The snow pack will last longer the farther north and higher up you go, some southern areas will have less snow higher up earlier. Maybe next year I will book my VI hunt after may long rather than earlier, but I want a nice hide so thats part of my reasoning. I will be hunting around Kamloops May long and after

I went so OCD figuring out spring black bear I have come up with so many things I do to adapt to timing, location and conditions it’s unreal but a lot of it I need to be the one out there hunting to know what path to take

As for the hide thing yes later into the spring you need to watch more but I have taken bears with amazing hides in June as well. I have also taken bears in the first week of May that have rubbed the hair on their face badly.

Late season try north of Kamloops say blue river to valemount can be really good

Wild one
04-02-2019, 12:15 PM
I will add I don’t do the snow line trick but I have that magic level of green up I chase where the leaves are not fully open but there is a good amount of grass poking through the old brown grass from last year

tim.l
04-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Been following all the black bear posts over this last year. Really excited to get out. I took a week off in mid may and am really hoping to get one. Thanks to everyone who posts tips and tricks.

troutseeker
04-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Buddy saw one two days ago outside Prince George.

wideopenthrottle
04-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Arctic Lake

there was one in my shed yesterday that I opened a window to let out...great big mostly black bumble bee...but hunting spots are hard to find in new Westminster...heheheheh

Arctic Lake
04-05-2019, 08:01 PM
there was one in my shed yesterday that I opened a window to let out...great big mostly black bumble bee...but hunting spots are hard to find in new Westminster...heheheheh
Good one Wideopen !
Arctic Lake

joshbazz
04-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Going out this morning with my bro in-law, will see what’s doing here in MU8...

Dour
04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Wide open. Have you tried queenspark yet lol

Rob Chipman
04-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Got a notice from the Neighbourhood Watch lady here in North Van. Bears are out and tipping over compost piles here now.

Wild one
04-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Seen my first of the year today but I can see his den from my front window lol.

Still too early I may buy a tag in 2-3 weeks

B-Roth
04-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Seen a decent size out on the side of the highway. 6-09

mr604
04-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Re: Black bear season
I saw a LOT of bear sign when I was out hiking with a rifle during deer season http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif So, I'm going to do a bit of poking around in a couple weeks. I'm around Kamloops up in the mountains and after driving to see no snow at Sun Peaks last weekend I bet it won't be long before they're out.

Follow on questions:

You can give the dog raw Deer, Elk or Moose but not Bear. Like other here say cook the Bear to 165 F. to kill the Trichinosis We make our dog a stew with some brown rice and corn mixed in with the Bear meat.....i hear the dog drooling now as I type this.....

Wild one
04-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Yes butcher will take frozen deboned meat to make sausage

yes you can feed your dog bear meat but cook it first

pg83
04-23-2019, 07:22 PM
My butcher will only take bear meat if it is frozen.

RackStar
04-23-2019, 07:32 PM
What if you like hunting bear.. but don’t enjoy the meat? I just can’t get past chewing on bear, but love hunting them.

Shikari300WSM
04-23-2019, 09:22 PM
What is everyone's thoughts to hunting bear may 25th? Too late for prime time? Thinking about going up to Adam's lake or horsefly maybe. Havent shot a black bear yet. Hunted Adam's lake last year at the end of April but didnt see anything, it was too early.

ducktoller
04-23-2019, 09:26 PM
What is everyone's thoughts to hunting bear may 25th? Too late for prime time? Thinking about going up to Adam's lake or horsefly maybe. Havent shot a black bear yet. Hunted Adam's lake last year at the end of April but didnt see anything, it was too early.

Bear are unstable from the second they leave their den till they bed down provided season is open.

If you care about a rug they could be rubbing already but otherwise fair game.

Lots of guys don't start till after may long.

Wild one
04-23-2019, 09:29 PM

Should be perfect

Shikari300WSM
05-02-2019, 11:19 PM
Should be perfect

Appreciate it. I got too picky a couple years ago and took nothing, last year I went out once but it was late April. Now I have opportunity at the end of the month and would really like to fill atleast 1 of my tags!

RackStar
05-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Last week of May and first week of June from my experience hold the most bear sightings for me.