PDA

View Full Version : Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

RiverBear
03-23-2019, 12:48 PM
interesting read https://www.fieldandstream.com/are-crossbows-threatening-bowhunting-tradition?src=SOC&dom=fb&fbclid=IwAR2Uuxk77yTWch2MmleYKJvBW0PwvIJ7TG69siCrx sVjOShRyiqipOkYXZo

J_T
03-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.

03-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.

So only recurve/long bows allow for fair chase?

Wild one
03-23-2019, 02:24 PM
So only recurve/long bows allow for fair chase?

Everyone runs to this lol

03-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Everyone runs to this lol

Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter? Or is it more ethical to use technology that provides for more accurate placement of an arrow (or bullet for that matter).

Is it safe to assume that those who use older technology when hunting more closely adhere to the principles of fair chase? And that those who adopt technological innovation are at "war" with wildlife?

Honestly, even though I'm a bow hunter (I have a compound and a recurve) I really dislike the "holier than thou" attitude.

Elitist bow hunters are the social justice warriors of the hunting world. Puke

J_T
03-23-2019, 02:39 PM
So only recurve/long bows allow for fair chase? hmm, didn't say that. Why assume that? I think more accurately, my comment was about technology, in all methods of hunting.

Wild one
03-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter? Or is it more ethical to use technology that provides for more accurate placement of an arrow (or bullet for that matter).

Is it safe to assume that those who use older technology when hunting more closely adhere to the principles of fair chase? And that those who adopt technological innovation are at "war" with wildlife?

Honestly, even though I'm a bow hunter (I have a compound and a recurve) I really dislike the "holier than thou" attitude.

Elitist bow hunters are the social justice warriors of the hunting world. Puke

Hunted with all three have no problem with any of them and don’t think any of them make you more ethical. As long as you’re not a idiot out there shooting beyond your limits I see no issue of ethics

I do view them as all very different nothing against Xbows but they personally just don’t feel like bow hunting. Fun short range weapon and this is no shot at those using xbow’s I don’t call it bow hunting.

I find the whole situation funny crossbow hunters trying to claim they are no different then bow hunters claim xbows are far to superior as a guy with a compound takes deer at 80yards+ Lol

RiverBear
03-23-2019, 03:05 PM
I feel archery season should be for archers the ones that put there time in to become accurate with there weapon not just sight it in and pick it up the day before season. Take it how you want.

RiverBear
03-23-2019, 03:12 PM
I went down to the Rock creek area this past season for a late season whitetail hunt and I was disappointed to see how many people we seen just riding around on atvs with xbows strapped to the front . Come on road hunting during archery season. That's not archery that's just out there cuz they want to kill something nothing else.

Mulehahn
03-23-2019, 04:38 PM
I wonder how much of the increase in harvest in the states is in relation to the rise in QDM. Anyone who can drive around with a crossbow strapped to an ATV, cock it and load it well a whitetail stands there has earned that deer. Now, you and three buddies each climb into a tree stand over different food plots that all of you have meticulously maintained all spring and summer, cut or blocked all pathways so you can control routes, and only go into on days of favourable wind... I don't care if what you use to harvest the deer you will be successful. Crossbows don't take as much practice to get you there. Hunting in the states is not like it is in BC.

BCHoyt
03-23-2019, 04:46 PM
**** it.. Put on a loin cloth, cover yourself in mud and animal shit, make a spear and hunt that way.. Is that traditional enough?

Jordan f.
03-23-2019, 04:47 PM
I tend to agree with the laws here in Alberta.

If you have a disability that hinders you from use of a bow. Fill out the paperwork, and hunt with a crossbow.

But otherwise. Keep em in rifle season.

Gateholio
03-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Lots of 100+ yard compound bow kills on YouTube. Sorta makes you wonder if crossbows actually provide a real technological advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-n2slX3wE

Jordan f.
03-23-2019, 05:15 PM
https://youtu.be/G7ogCGqqn6A

Sorry. But this set up belongs in rifle season.

(Unless for medical reasons)

RiverBear
03-23-2019, 06:06 PM
I'm with you on that Jordan only people that I feel should be using them in archery season is someone with a physical disability or I feel that if it can keep the older 65+ out there that can't draw the #40 min anymore then that would be alright

RiverBear
03-23-2019, 06:08 PM
**** it.. Put on a loin cloth, cover yourself in mud and animal shit, make a spear and hunt that way.. Is that traditional enough?

Where did anyone say it had to be traditional.

Gateholio
03-23-2019, 06:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FueEA0w3A

Gateholio
03-23-2019, 06:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc-h-UAypg

Wild one
03-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Yes you’re long history of believing all hunting should be GOS and any form of weapon restrictions is bad I expect everything you can find to support xbows in archery season you will Gate

Just like you have stated LEH is better than any weapon restrictions

continue on lol

Jordan f.
03-23-2019, 06:36 PM
"distance" is only one factor. And I am pretty confident any distance by a compound bow can be met, or surpassed, by a crossbow.

But crossbows also have magnified scopes, shooting sticks to stabilize, the ability to "cock and wait" for an extended period of time, a much easier "learning curve", etc...

dakoda62
03-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Maybe, maybe not, crossbows are as old as long bows in historical terms, granted technology has taken them to a new dimension. I hunt with a crossbow only because of an old shoulder injury i can pull it back but can hold on target for mare than about 3 seconds. I do find the range is less than a long bow.

Ron.C
03-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Anti-hunting groups must just love these topics.

Several years ago I helped a guy track a poorly hit whitetail he shot. He stalked the deer in the from across a cutblock and when he couldn't get any closer, he shot. When I ranged from where the deer was standing to where he shot from it was 47 yards. I said that's a hell of poke with a recurve, he replied ya, longer than I practice but it was a hell of a big buck. I found that deer the next morning, well I should say the coyotes got it and I found what was left.

Does the fact that someone uses a compound or longbow automatically make them a traditionalist and more ethical that a crossbow shooter? Or is it that some "traditionalists" just have their feeling hurt because some chose to take advantage of technology, or just don't view bowhunting through the same glasses as they do?

I've hunted with a compound on and off since 2001, taken 15 deer, 4 elk, and a bear. I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the traditional side of it.

I bowhunt because it offers seasons and opportunities I couldn't get with a rifle. Fact is, I was eyeing crossbows at Cabelas today. I just don't have time or desire to practice year round with my compound anymore. The only reason I shot allot last summer was because I had an Elk LEH. But now that that's done,I think it would be nice just to pick up a scoped crossbow when I want to buzz down the road and hunt the bow/shotgun area. Oh wait, shotguns!!! How can they be allowed in the woods blasting buckshot around when I wants to traditionally bowhunt. Lets get them next and make it a longbow/recurve..."maybe compound" bow only area :roll:

Making the assumption that all crossbow hunters are lazy, opportunistic, unethical hunters is no more reasonable than anti's
claiming firearms owners are criminals and all guns should be made illegal.

Gateholio
03-23-2019, 07:10 PM
The complaint is that crossbows offer a technological advantage over other bows.

This argument seems misleading when we view multiple videos of 100+ yard kills with compound bows. A more honest argument might be that ALL archery equipment has undergone a radical transformation from "primitive" weapons to high tech, and the arguments that a crossbow offers an unfair advantage are not founded in reality.

The title is about the "Traditions of Bowhunting" What the hell is traditional about using a high tech compound bow with equally high tech arrows and sighting systems to accurately hit targets 100 yards away? If the authors concerns are to be taken seriously, he should be honest about advancements in compound bows and their increased ca[ability of killing game. Otherwise, it just looks like some guy whining about what the other guy is using to hunt.

338win mag
03-23-2019, 07:19 PM
I will just get a note from the doctor for the xbow, it doesn't bother me to pack out an Elk though, that part seems ok.:lol:

Brez
03-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter?. Puke

Why would you use the term "disadvantage yourself"?? You have missed the entire point of bow-hunting. At least for me, it is to challenge one's self to get close enough and overcome obstacles that are not so prevalent while rifle hunting. How we behave with whatever chosen weapon we happen to have in our hands is the only thing that has to do with ethics. Ethics is an action choice, not an equipement choice. Now if you choose to use an more technologically advances cross bow over a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow to take advantage of the hunting seasons fought for by those who shoot those bows, well it's legal and good for you, but that is not the spirit in which we struggled to get those seasons. Using a stick bow is not disadvantage to us, it is a fantastically pleasurable and rewarding way to hunt game.

Brez
03-23-2019, 07:24 PM

Several years ago I helped a guy track a poorly hit whitetail he shot. He stalked the deer in the from across a cutblock and when he couldn't get any closer, he shot. When I ranged from where the deer was standing to where he shot from it was 47 yards. I said that's a hell of poke with a recurve, he replied ya, longer than I practice but it was a hell of a big buck. I found that deer the next morning, well I should say the coyotes got it and I found what was left.

Does the fact that someone uses a compound or longbow automatically make them a traditionalist and more ethical that a crossbow shooter? Or is it that some "traditionalists" just have their feeling hurt because some chose to take advantage of technology, or just don't view bowhunting through the same glasses as they do?

I've hunted with a compound on and off since 2001, taken 15 deer, 4 elk, and a bear. I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the traditional side of it.

I bowhunt because it offers seasons and opportunities I couldn't get with a rifle. Fact is, I was eyeing crossbows at Cabelas today. I just don't have time or desire to practice year round with my compound anymore. The only reason I shot allot last summer was because I had an Elk LEH. But now that that's done,I think it would be nice just to pick up a scoped crossbow when I want to buzz down the road and hunt the bow/shotgun area. Oh wait, shotguns!!! How can they be allowed in the woods blasting buckshot around when I wants to traditionally bowhunt. Lets get them next and make it a longbow/recurve..."maybe compound" bow only area :roll:

Making the assumption that all crossbow hunters are lazy, opportunistic, unethical hunters is no more reasonable than anti's

At least you are honest

03-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Why would you use the term "disadvantage yourself"?? You have missed the entire point of bow-hunting. At least for me, it is to challenge one's self to get close enough and overcome obstacles that are not so prevalent while rifle hunting. How we behave with whatever chosen weapon we happen to have in our hands is the only thing that has to do with ethics. Ethics is an action choice, not an equipement choice. Now if you choose to use an more technologically advances cross bow over a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow to take advantage of the hunting seasons fought for by those who shoot those bows, well it's legal and good for you, but that is not the spirit in which we struggled to get those seasons. Using a stick bow is not disadvantage to us, it is a fantastically pleasurable and rewarding way to hunt game.

First of all, I don’t own a crossbow

Secondly, your elitist crap is exactly what the hunting community doesn’t need right now.

Are you aware that several countries prohibit bow hunting as it is seen as inefficient and more likely to wound game? Be cautious about excluding other hunters from your little club. You may need their support someday to maintain the extra season you say you worked so hard for.

Brez
03-23-2019, 07:54 PM
First of all, I don’t own a crossbow

Secondly, your elitist crap is exactly what the hunting community doesn’t need right now.

Are you aware that several countries prohibit bow hunting as it is seen as inefficient and more likely to wound game? Be cautious about excluding other hunters from your little club. You may need their support someday to maintain the extra season you say you worked so hard for.

I don't see what I have stated as elitist crap. It is the truth. I was a part of it. I don't know you and I assume that you were not. It seems very easy nowadays to assume an air of entitlement to the rewards and privileges that those gone before have worked and struggled for. At the very least you could acknowledge that you are reaping those rewards. You seem to have no idea whatsoever of the basis' that we convinced the government to give us bow hunting seasons.You are assuming that I am against crossbows. I am not - used at the correct time for the correct purposes. In closing, it sounds like the "crap" is coming more from you. Have a great day and try to have a civil conversation with the next guy.

Wild one
03-23-2019, 08:00 PM
BC doesn’t have much for archery season it has no adults using firearms season lol

limit time
03-23-2019, 08:41 PM
**** all the Fudd shit ! This is getting stupid... next you fudds will want to ban crossbows... shut the phack up already.

IslandWanderer
03-23-2019, 09:03 PM
**** all the Fudd shit ! This is getting stupid... next you fudds will want to ban crossbows... shut the phack up already.

I heard there might be a slingshot season in the future.
- proficiency test
- 3/8" minimum bearing size
- no wrist supports allowed- not sporting

joshbazz
03-23-2019, 09:12 PM
To be clear, according to the title of the thread, it would seem to me that crossbows are not threatening the tradition of bow hunting, on the contrary, they are advancing the tradition of bow hunting. It is part of the evolution of the sport/activity/skill.

However, by the perspective and tone of this thread, it seems the question should be: "Are crossbows threatening long bow tradition".

Crossbows are a "bow" weapon with a lot of history, though not as old as the long bow – obviously. As such, they seem to be able to take advantage of technology in ways that make the learning curve not as steep to master compared to the long bow, whether recursive or compound.

However, before anyone complains one way or the other, is there any real data that says more game is harvested by crossbow hunters than long bow hunters? Is the technology in crossbows making a significant impact on the competitive advantage of one hunter over another?
Facts are needed here if a debate is to have any legs.

Although a crossbow is easier to master, you will usually hear the joy from a successful long bow master, or adept student of the longbow who tirelessly puts in the time required to physically attain high proficiency for an ethical kill shot at range. The reward system parallels what athletes experience in competition success. It is not elitism, though it is not for everybody. That doesn't mean there aren't elitist attitudes about it, similar to some people with shitty attitudes who work out a lot and look down on 'soft' people (not hard bodies).

For the record I am a super novice with the longbow (meaning I suck, and wouldn't attempt to hunt with it yet), and I have an appreciation for the physical demand and practice it will require of me. That is part of the reward. Knowing you put the effort in to accomplish the end goal of successfully and ethically harvesting game.

Now if we're talking strapping a crossbow to an atv and charging through the wood blasting bucks run and gun style, I'm afraid that doesn't do much for me. I feel the same way about hunters at free ranges on crown land who don't pick up after themselves (I exaggerate), though I think it's a disservice to the land and their fellow hunters. I feel technology should be utilized to improve your chances, but not at the expense with impacts that are destructive.

limit time
03-23-2019, 09:13 PM
I heard there might be a slingshot season in the future.
- proficiency test
- 3/8" minimum bearing size
- no wrist supports allowed- not sporting

If it pulls to a length less than 18.5” it’s restricted and only kept in a central lock up.

Sitkaspruce
03-23-2019, 10:53 PM
LOL Another ban something because I don't agree with it thread...and I don't mean the original post.

I personally don't give two shits about how any one hunts and kills game, as long as it is legal. This crossbow vs any other type of bow is just another arguement that will never solve or change anything, so why waste your time?

I hunt with a CROSSBOW, in a ground blind over BAIT with LIGHTED NOCKS and a MECHANICAL BROADHEAD.....Flame away....Hahahaha

Cheers

SS

IslandWanderer
03-23-2019, 11:24 PM
If it pulls to a length less than 18.5” it’s restricted and only kept in a central lock up.

Slingshots are also restricted if all black- assault slingshots.

Piperdown
03-24-2019, 05:59 AM

Congratulations, you have just won the most arrogant post ever on HBC, job well done. So god to the archery hunting world, i have 2 bum shoulders, one reconstructed the other toast from being a pitcher (hardball) till i was 25. So now i cannot use a traditional or compound bow, i guess it is time to sell all my hunting gear and take up knitting :( I must say your continual arrogance on this site is tiring, off to the ignore list you go!!!

Pioneerman
03-24-2019, 06:18 AM
I too used to have a bow, but with torn rotator cuffs and operations I can not pull back a bow any longer. I do not know why anyone believe crossbows are not traditional equipment since they have been around since 4 th century BC. Yes the style and materials have changed, but they have always been able to deliver impact further and more accurate than most bows, just as everything with bows have changed also. What is the difference other than easier to use and easier to learn to be proficient ?

J_T
03-24-2019, 06:56 AM
Congratulations, you have just won the most arrogant post ever on HBC, job well done. So god to the archery hunting world, i have 2 bum shoulders, one reconstructed the other toast from being a pitcher (hardball) till i was 25. So now i cannot use a traditional or compound bow, i guess it is time to sell all my hunting gear and take up knitting :( I must say your continual arrogance on this site is tiring, off to the ignore list you go!!! Apologies. Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps my reply to the original poster when I said, "Yes it is" was seen as a reply to the title of the post. Not the case. My reply was to his statement, "Interesting Article". There was nothing in my statement intended to be targeted at any one weapon. My point was about technology.

I do understand being judged and never being able to be viewed differently by those who have passed judgement. Lots of assumptions and accusations online, rather than wanting to understand more by asking questions.

I was starting to wonder how many posters on here actually read the article. Might have been a different discussion. I guess if you've blocked me now, you won't read this.

HighCountryBC
03-24-2019, 07:45 AM
No wonder the hunting community struggles to make any progress.

Worry about how you hunt and support others no matter which method they choose. I shoot a compound and couldn't care less if everyone else out there was shooting crossbows. They aren't ruining the spirit of anything. Folks who think they have some moral or ethical authority because they shoot a different method are.

Ron.C
03-24-2019, 08:02 AM
I was starting to wonder how many posters on here actually read the article. Might have been a different discussion. I guess if you've blocked me now, you won't read this.

JT, I read the article. My post was in response to a the posts from traditionalists that were obvious slams against crossbow hunters.

I took the Bowhunter Education course a number of years ago. Good course "I think it should be mandatory for every bowhunter". Allot of talk on proficiency, ethical shot distance, shot placement..... But I've seen some scary %^&* on 3d courses from guys that hunt with longbow, recurve, and compounds. Allot were new to archery and/or hunting and like me didn't have a mentor and probably learned by bad experience. We "myself included" shouldn't of been allowed in the field with that equipment until we were more proficient. "Really wish I was made to take the IBEP course before I started". Now I will argue all day long that it is FAR easier to be proficient with a crossbow than any other type of archery tackle. The ONLY reason I see this being a problem is that there is now more irons in the fire and this pissed them the traditional guys right off.

A few years ago, there was a thread on archery only seasons. Lots of rifle hunters complaining as to why bowhunters as get separate seasons. Once again, hunters against hunters. As I recall in that thread, you (JT) made mention of archery being used as a management tool as alternative to LEH. I believe my response was something to the fact that in my area, the archery/shotgun zone is not as much a management tool, but hunting opportunity where we are in proximity to urban areas. Either way, both good solutions that provide a hunting opportunity. No one was being excluded. Get a bow, get proficient and join the fun.

Jump ahead a few years and lots of hunters are joining in "due to the ease of being proficient with a crossbow in comparison to vertical bows". And its seems that the "traditional guys" in general don't like it. And its my opinion that most bow only seasons are now seeing allot more hunting pressure. And this pisses the traditional guys off. So maybe the solution here is use LEH to control the hunter numbers in all archery only seasons and let hunters chose which type of bow they want to use? If you want to use a bow beyond LEH, have at it, join in with the GOS guys.

During my recent LEH, ALL elk hunters I encountered or spoke to landowners about, had or were using a crossbows. I was the only one using a vertical "compound". This was one of the coveted mid Island Roosevelt LEH's. I suspect allot of guys that apply for this don't even buy a crossbow until after they get drawn. So now you have crossbow guys watering down the odds on LEH archery opportunity. Landowners I spoke to could care less because most of them see elk get harvested on their property and for them, they want elk numbers reduced.

It's pretty clear to me what the main source of the issue is and its not the guy who choses to hunt with a crossbow.

rocksteady
03-24-2019, 01:34 PM
I feel archery season should be for archers the ones that put there time in to become accurate with there weapon not just sight it in and pick it up the day before season. Take it how you want.

So should rifle season be open to those who shoot 500 rounds a year but not the guy who does not even sight in his gun preseason?

Your rationale is whacked

stro52
03-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Can someone please explain why there seems to be such a division among the three main bowhunting types? Traditional, compound and crossbow? I don't understand why the arguement seems to pop up now and then, or why some seem to be so protective of their chosen, path I guess you could say?

338win mag
03-24-2019, 02:03 PM
I do wonder if the rational of some in this thread is perviating leadership in those who are supposed to be representing hunters in BC, if so, then thats a problem. If its legal whats the big deal, or are some trying to say it should be illegal?

IronNoggin
03-24-2019, 03:52 PM
What a load of horse shit.
The author of the article posted ends up saying "I’m as tired of hunter infighting as anyone." :roll:
After making the case, and then furthering it immediately after with EXACTLY that - divisionist, infighting tactics.
I have ZERO use for such "writers" expressing their "opinions" (and we all know about that right?) in such an obviously self serving manner.
Much the same IMO can be said for the original poster who backs these opinions with his with repeated drivel.

Two words. You likely know what they are... :evil:

BINGO.
And I will be spreading this Idjuts opinions far and wide.
Wonder how much Field & Stream is going to enjoy both the drops in sales, and the counter-posts directly to themselves.
As Gate noted, this is simply one fool's whine about what another person is using to hunt.
Totally divisionist. Totally Dishonest. Totally Self Serving. Total ASSHOLE IMHO.

And btw Brez, yeah, I WAS on the front lines fighting for specific bow / primitive weapons seasons. For years upon years.
Doing so certainly doesn't make make me, you, nor anyone else any more special nor more "entitled" than anyone else. Period.
A crossbow tosses an arrow.
Get over it.

You want to know what I really think, keep harping on this bullshit.

Ticked,
Nog

RiverBear
03-24-2019, 05:06 PM
So should rifle season be open to those who shoot 500 rounds a year but not the guy who does not even sight in his gun preseason?

Your rationale is whacked

The guy who doesn't sight in his gun should have his right to go hunting taken away.

scoutlt1
03-24-2019, 05:20 PM
The guy who doesn't sight in his gun should have his right to go hunting taken away.

That's quite the statement.

So because I have to work 80+ hours a week to support my kids, one of whom has medical issues, and thereby I have minimal, if any, time at the range (so really don't have time to sight in my rifle), but am fortunate to find a way to get out hunting a few weekends a year....I should have my right to go hunting taken away???

That is ****ed up.

OutsyderBC
03-24-2019, 05:41 PM
That's quite the statement.

So because I have to work 80+ hours a week to support my kids, one of whom has medical issues, and thereby I have minimal, if any, time at the range (so really don't have time to sight in my rifle), but am fortunate to find a way to get out hunting a few weekends a year....I should have my right to go hunting taken away???

That is ****ed up.

Did you really just say you go out hunting without knowing your bullet is going where you're pointing it?

Jordan f.
03-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Do you really not check your rifle?

It takes 2 seconds. You can do it while on your hunting trip.

scoutlt1
03-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Ok fair enough.....sight in my rifle? yes. Have the same amount of time to spend "practicing" as someone who shoots a long bow? Likely not..

IslandWanderer
03-24-2019, 06:01 PM
There should be government run qualifying days at local ranges. If you can't get a 1" group at 100 yards - no licence. (after providing proof of residency and agreeing to not shoot wolves of course)

limit time
03-24-2019, 08:35 PM
There should be government run qualifying days at local ranges. If you can't get a 1" group at 100 yards - no licence. (after providing proof of residency and agreeing to not shoot wolves of course)
And if you can get 1/2” at 100 while drinking a beer you get a Grizz tag !!

Gateholio
03-24-2019, 09:02 PM

I'm assuming this is a joke...

Shooting qualifications sound like a decent idea in theory. In practice, in Canada- not so much.

Piperdown
03-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Dumb idea, so when i applied for my ATC, i had to do a proficiency test with a registered instructor, after shooting from the required ranges and positions he scores my shots. I ask him what score do you need to pass, he says none, i could have missed the targets every shot, as long as i handled the gun properly i pass.

IslandWanderer
03-25-2019, 07:24 AM
Dumb idea, so when i applied for my ATC, i had to do a proficiency test with a registered instructor, after shooting from the required ranges and positions he scores my shots. I ask him what score do you need to pass, he says none, i could have missed the targets every shot, as long as i handled the gun properly i pass.

Agreed, good thing I was just being a smart-ass. If it's alright to ask, was it so you could carry a firearm in the bush for protection?

Piperdown
03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Agreed, good thing I was just being a smart-ass. If it's alright to ask, was it so you could carry a firearm in the bush for protection?

Yes it was, for my mining claim

guntech
03-29-2019, 12:54 PM
It's all about putting a sharp broad head through the heart/lungs of an animal... how you do it matters not. Some guys who used to shoot "conventional" bows can no longer pull a bow (for various reasons) yet still enjoy the hunt...

rocksteady
03-29-2019, 01:12 PM
It's all about putting a sharp broad head through the heart/lungs of an animal... how you do it matters not. Some guys who used to shoot "conventional" bows can no longer pull a bow (for various reasons) yet still enjoy the hunt...

Amen brother.. i shot compound til i blew my shoulder out, then bought a crossbow. Still takes the same amount of stalking abilities to get within range..

Once you are there, who cares what propels the arrow/bolt

Hunter gatherer
03-31-2019, 10:10 AM
No crossbows are not ruining archery hunting. I hunted with one once. It was awkward and heavy, hated it. If someone wants to drive around on a quad with his crossbow,go for it. To each his own as long as its legal.

Bugle M In
04-02-2019, 05:19 PM
I heard about this thread being a bit "heated".
I am not a bow hunter of any type.
I have dabbled in it, especially when I was a kid and very few folks did it (compared to all the changes and technology being a good factor as to why it is so popular now, imo)

To me, this whole CrossBow vs Traditional debate is, in my opinion, mostly created by those that now do not like the
"extra inclusion" of hunters in a season that was all to there selves (again, imo)
I think many hide behind the crossbow being too easy and don't want to admit that there real "anger/piss off" was seeing
more folks than before.
I know I spoke to one hunter once, with bow, who got all upset that there were "so many guys out there".
That's when it becomes obvious to me as to the real issue.

Are Crossbows easier, hell yes they are for a beginner.
I have fired both and you cant argue that you are not more "consistently accurate" as a beginner trying both right out of
the box.(With practice, both are equal then, but not with the first 10 arrows, imo).

But both require stalking or good game calling and patience.
Neither has the advantage there.
Both still sling the same arrow.
You aren't going to see many 100+ yard shots from either.
And thus, "why we have a bow season"!

This whole bow season was to give some extra opportunities for some.
To get them to chase game before the rifle guys get out there.
(to be honest, by the time the bow guys have had their first week of fun, the game has now gone into hiding for everyone
else, but I am good with that).

And, it has allowed or could allow for a late season.
Again, something all bow hunters should feel "privileged" about!
Also, using an arrow does allow some to get permission in more populated areas, imo.
Another thing to be thankful for with both types.
Many wont give permission with rifle hunters.

And yes, if you guys cant figure it out, than I am all good having it just LEH.(meaning rifle or bow)
In other words, if you cant play nice, the toys get taken away!!

AND, if you cant beat them, you always are free to "join them".
If it is about technology, and now you feel disadvantaged, one can always buy a crossbow to "compete" with all that
extra competition. (hey, I still use flies when fishing, not plugs and gang trolls etc, BUT, it's "my choice"!)

As far as some needing to switch to Crossbow due to health.
I get that better than most.
Having a destroyed shoulder, I just cant pull the string back!
BUT, with a really good "Back Pack" I can distribute weight to carry a reasonable weight of game out.
SO, just an FYI on ones health, don't ever judge someone about health unless you actually do
"walk in their shoes"!!
Being one that deals in pain all day long, I too sometimes still see others who say they have some sort of pain, and
although it doesn't show outright, I still sometimes question their "disability" also:shock:,
AND I SHOULD NOW BETTER.

Pain is a funny thing, and making a movement one way is very hard, while a different movement is okay.
So lets not judge folks on their ability to not pull a string back but can pack out.
That's not fair.

Right now, just enjoy that there is a bow season.
Understand that there are many out there that are passionate about hunting, and that you are not alone and thus
you are going to bump into others when out there.
Some will have bows, some will have crossbows.
You both have a common interest...hunting.
And that should make us all friends!

dapesche
04-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Right now, just enjoy that there is a bow season.
Understand that there are many out there that are passionate about hunting, and that you are not alone and thus
you are going to bump into others when out there.
Some will have bows, some will have crossbows.
You both have a common interest...hunting.
And that should make us all friends!

I'm with you. I don't see the point of this thread when hunting is being attacked. Who cares who is the purest of em all.
No need to create division among hunters. ... very Trudeau of you.
Get out and hunt as much as you can.

knothead
04-03-2019, 06:43 PM
New technology? Crossbows have been around for about 2000 years starting in China and then 1500 years later in Europe.

Ubertuber
04-03-2019, 07:34 PM
I shoot both.
To me, the 'challenge' is the stalk, not what type of bow I'm using. Same as fly vs gear fishing. I do both depending on the target.
I don't understand the elitist types that want to ban methods that are different than their chosen method. They do nothing to further hunting. They only divide us.

Jagermeister
04-03-2019, 08:24 PM
The biggest hardship of a "stick" bow is pulling it back and holding for the shot, especially the shot on game.
I have been shooting bow off and on for nigh on 60 years. In that time, recurves came into being and I switched to those from the traditional long bow. Came a time in the mid '70s that I could not hold my 45# Browning recurve because of bursitis in the left shoulder. Friends were shooting early Allen 4 wheel compound bows, noisy contraptions with very minimal let-off. I passed on them and took a sabbatical from archery until the late '80s when I purchased a PSE compound to be followed some time later by another PSE bow which offered substantial let-off. Recently, my shoulders decided to act old and even with the let-off the force of draw and hold took a toll on both shoulders and it got traded off.
Enter a new era. After picking a few brains and asses, I decided to buy a crossbow. Several of our members recommended Excalibur because of the simplicity of the bow and how little tuning was required with a recurve. I was well acquainted with the requirements required to keep my compounds tuned so an Excalibur was a no-brainer. After passing on some fine deals, one came to me late last year and I took the plunge. So now I am getting up to batting a bear and perhaps a turkey.
As previously mentioned, crossbows have a very long history dating back several centuries BCE. So they are definitely not new technology like compound bows.
And they do not have an advantage that most people preceive. Yes you can shoulder them like a firearm and hold them for that shot. Accuracy may be somewhat better but anyone that thinks their range is greater than a compound bow are sadly mistaken. All one has to do is look at the kinetic energy of an 18" bolt and compare it to 30" arrow sporting the same weight broadhead to come to the conclusion that such differences are minuscule.
Then consider the rate that each can be fired. Bows have the distinct advantage of being able to fire successive arrows in a shorter period of time to the time it takes to re-cock a crossbow, place an arrow in the rail and then fire it off. Shooting stick has a very distinctive advantage.
In conclusion, those that think crossbows are threatening the tradition of bowhunting are not informed and have developed an elitist attitude. Crossbows were used by royalty in the middle ages to hunt stag in England, so there I rest my opinion.

300H&H
04-07-2019, 09:50 AM
The reason I use a crossbow is because I've torn my meniscus twice and it is hard to draw a compound bow and painful to hold at full draw. So either I use a crossbow or don't hunt the archery season.

dapesche
04-07-2019, 10:15 AM
The reason I use a crossbow is because I've torn my meniscus twice and it is hard to draw a compound bow and painful to hold at full draw. So either I use a crossbow or don't hunt the archery season.

Yah man. I all for you having that right.

emerson
04-07-2019, 04:35 PM
“I’m better than you” over and over is what I read in this thread. Very much like an anti echo chamber. “Oh, but I still righteous because I have a shoulder injury” is the next most common refrain. Like saying “But I have several friends of colour”. NDP/Federal Liberal convention material here.

300H&H
04-07-2019, 05:07 PM
“I’m better than you” over and over is what I read in this thread. Very much like an anti echo chamber. “Oh, but I still righteous because I have a shoulder injury” is the next most common refrain. Like saying “But I have several friends of colour”. NDP/Federal Liberal convention material here.

WOW Emerson...don't get your panties in a knot.
I was just giving my reason for choosing a crossbow. It allows me to hunt more. Never at all saying I'm better than anyone.
BTW I vote PC since you mentioned Lib/NDP.

Treed
04-07-2019, 06:22 PM
As a kid, I had a 35lb recurve that I used to shoot, so when I started hunting I got a compound bow before a gun. Seemed like a natural first step. I was shocked at how easy it was to become proficient. As long as you can judge distance well (which I do for work) and control your nerves, you can shoot animals. I have never used a crossbow but I can't imagine it is that much easier than a compound with pins - except you take the strain of your shoulder. The benefit of bowhunting is that it forces you to broaden how you hunt. I hunt the same way with a gun now as I do with my bow - slow stalk through the forest. I do it because I love doing it. At the end of the day, the day has been awesome. Some days, I curse the fact that I left my bow behind, other days I wish I'd brought my gun. If a guy wants to bomb around on an ATV with crossbow, good for him. If he comes away with the feeling "damn, that was an awesome day!", then he made the right choice for himself. Longbow, recurve, crossbow, gun, spear (for the brave or insane) - its all about the experience and what you value about it. Is one method of hunting more ethical?? Ethics aren't related to your choice of weapon, they are how you chose to use your weapon. The animal doesn't give a damn how it got shot, but how well it got shot should matter to us.

IronNoggin
04-07-2019, 06:53 PM
As a kid, I had a 35lb recurve that I used to shoot, so when I started hunting I got a compound bow before a gun. Seemed like a natural first step. I was shocked at how easy it was to become proficient. As long as you can judge distance well (which I do for work) and control your nerves, you can shoot animals. I have never used a crossbow but I can't imagine it is that much easier than a compound with pins - except you take the strain of your shoulder. The benefit of bowhunting is that it forces you to broaden how you hunt. I hunt the same way with a gun now as I do with my bow - slow stalk through the forest. I do it because I love doing it. At the end of the day, the day has been awesome. Some days, I curse the fact that I left my bow behind, other days I wish I'd brought my gun. If a guy wants to bomb around on an ATV with crossbow, good for him. If he comes away with the feeling "damn, that was an awesome day!", then he made the right choice for himself. Longbow, recurve, crossbow, gun, spear (for the brave or insane) - its all about the experience and what you value about it. Is one method of hunting more ethical?? Ethics aren't related to your choice of weapon, they are how you chose to use your weapon. The animal doesn't give a damn how it got shot, but how well it got shot should matter to us.

MOST EXCELLENT SIR!!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Thank You!
Nog

Treed
04-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Thanks Nog. That means a lot coming from you. I have a lot of respect for what you post here.

IslandWanderer
04-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Thanks Nog. That means a lot coming from you. I have a lot of respect for what you post here.
Ben

Yikes, awkward bro.

Danny_29
04-08-2019, 09:21 PM
I don't have any issue with guys that use crossbows. It isn't archery though, the two are completely differnet. Not a bad thing at all but you can't shoot a bow really good and expect it to transfer to a crossbow. Two compelty differnet sports minus the overlap of same seaon and hunting techniques.

Treed
04-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Damn. Did I cross a line!?

IronNoggin
04-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Damn. Did I cross a line!?

Nope. Perfectly alright to express respect.
Appreciate yours, and did mean what I said.
Very well worded, and closely reflects the way I feel in this matter as well.

Ignore the overly immature Peanut Gallery comments, they are simply intended to get a rise.

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Nog

brian
04-13-2019, 05:41 PM
My shotgun has a shorter range than most compounds, and its more traditional... I should apply to use it in the archery season!!! Hard to sharpen all that buckshot into broadheads. Maybe I should saw off the butstock so its harder to use. That way the traditionalists will have less to complain about. "Oh no I didn't just sight this is in and go hunting... no no no sir, I practiced daily to be a shitty shot with it."

Walksalot
04-14-2019, 07:21 AM
If proficiency testing was made mandatory I wonder how many purists would be using crossbows. Surely we have better things to do than sit around pointing fingers at fellow sports persons.

bluesman
04-23-2019, 11:13 AM
my take on technology and hunting. generally the more technology used in hunting the more success you will have. Success leads to more game taken. At some point if we take too much game the seasons will be shortened as well as bag limits on all species. There are many reasons why we hunt and they differ from each other quite often. Social hunters....people who like to get out and hunt with others , camping and enjoying the outdoors where the social aspect is what they enjoy. Meat hunters.....those who want to get their great tasting organic wild game generally with minimum effort ( but they can still work their asses off to get it too ) . outdoor hunters...those that primarily want to experience wildlife and the scenery and solitude where bagging game is secondary...
Hardcore hunters..those who enjoy the hunt the chase..can be guys who will use any weapon at their means. Can be guys who limit there success by using more difficult weapons to master.

The bottom line is we should support all hunters who are ethical and within the law. I was hammered on by many two years ago because I don't believe you should hunt turkeys with a rifle. That is my opinion for many personal reasons . Fair chase and safety are my PERSONAL concerns . If I ran into a riflehunter chasing turkeys I would certainly treat him with respect but I would want him to not hunt the area I was in or any other close range turkey hunter. I don't want to re open that debate as there are some here I really have no time for on this matter.

What to remember with the crossbow is it has a history of archery.but it was used in warfare. It is probably not much more accurate than a compound bow when held freehand . The thing with technological advances in bowhunting equipment is the success rate goes up and it can and has shortened seasons in alberta on mule deer . So we all sometimes have our own personal agenda . If you want longer more generous bowhunting seasons , the harvest rate has to stay well below rifle success .

All these parameters come into play with sound game management. I generally hunt traditionally with recurve bow or longbow because I like the challenge and enjoy getting up close and seeing the game in a intimate setting. I still bring out my ruger #1 and my shotgun on occaisional hunts. I would love to shoot a turkey with my blackpowder shotgun.i

my last point ..if your hunting for meat, do it safely and use any means within the law . If you like rifle hunting. Keep your shots at safe distances both for other hunters you might not see behind your quarry itself. If you hunt for the experience of the chase...try to limit yourself to closer hunts where stalking or intercepting critters at close quarters is your goal..you'll never forget it if you take a large animal like an elk moose or deer at 15=20 yards !!!! or a strutting Tom at 10-20 yards !!!
Crossbows are a hotly debated topic among bow hunters and likely always will be . My vote is use them if you are disabled in archery season . Or use them in the general season . Just my opinion . Not saying it is wrong . I hunt primarily for the enjoyment of the chase and outdoor experience . I believe it is in my genes to do so and I emphasize the other reason and equally is for the great meat !!!! I also support hunting apex predators for sound game management and keeping them in correct numbers and respectful and afraid of human contact so they as well as we can have quality in the outdoors.

lol kinda got sidetracked ...

my answer to the question is ..no it is not threatening the "tradition " of bowhunting. It might threaten the length of the seasons in other provinces where the season is longer than in BC .