PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu jacket for North Island

Talltimber1
03-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Was looking at the new Axis hybrid jacket but am now thinking I might be better off with one of the actual rain jackets like the Chugach instead.
It is the north island after all.
Anyone had experience with either of these jackets? And what is your opinion soft shell hybrid or hard shell rain jacket.

Fosey
03-17-2019, 10:16 PM
I live on the North island and own the Kuiu Yukon. It is a unbelievable rain jacket. I use the jacket with sitka
pants. They both are waterproof and breathable. Wat s this website and facebook
sheep hunting gear and there is some good deals.

Ruger.270
03-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Get the Yukon jacket and pants. I use mine timber hunting in island monsoons and it has yet to let me down. Also breathes well. Layer with merino wool base top and long johns indrrneath and you are good for hiking up steep areas. I throw a chinook or fleece mid layer once if going slow or walking logging roads where I won’t work up as much of a sweat.

71_camaro
03-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Yukon by far on the island!

Talltimber1
03-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Yukon it is! Thanks guys

Talltimber1
03-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Im 5' 11" 230 lbs
Any thoughts as to XL or XXL jacket?
I wear a 36 in pants so Im thinking L for the pants but some of the other models I looked at I figured I was a 38 in Kuiu sizes.
I have no experience with Kuiu sizing anyone have any insight?

Maglic
03-20-2019, 10:09 PM
Im 5' 11" 230 lbs
Any thoughts as to XL or XXL jacket?
I wear a 36 in pants so Im thinking L for the pants but some of the other models I looked at I figured I was a 38 in Kuiu sizes.
I have no experience with Kuiu sizing anyone have any insight?

I am 6'2'' and 240 lbs , wear usually XL and 38. Faced the same issue like you, read about Kuiu but no chance to try it. Until recent Abbotsford show where I found Kuiu stand with Chugach and Yukon pants and jackets.
Tried them all in XL size . Perfect fit for me.

71_camaro
03-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Be careful with pants. I bought 32 3 years ago. Solid 2 inches small.
Too expensive to return so my bro has them.wears them everywhere...lil punk

Ruger.270
03-24-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm 6'0, 200 pounds and the large is perfect for me. Like most Kuiu products they do seem to be designed to fit people with more of a long and lean build.

Talltimber1
04-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Held off long enough. 8 year anniversary sale came up!
Ordering Yukon jacket and pants today

Talltimber1
04-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Got my Yukon jacket and pants today. Both in XL.
The jacket feels a little tight I could loose a few pounds, I tried it on over a Stanfield and my belly was the only tight spot and the pants feel long and loose, will allow me to layer up and still be flexible. Feels like some nice quality materials for sure.

albravo2
04-15-2019, 08:09 PM
You'll love it if you lose a couple pounds. I'm 6'2" and was 225 when I got my XL. Now at 215 it fits much nicer. I seriously love the jacket. Debating whether or not I need to buy the Guide jacket, I can't really think of a time the Yukon won't fit the bill.

lwing
04-18-2019, 06:55 PM
I'm on Vancouver island also, found the arcteryx leaf alpha way better then my kuiu Yukon, lighter, more breathable, and didn't wet out anywhere like the Yukon did. It has stowable hood also and isn't any louder. Sold the Yukon.
Theres no stitching at all in the leaf, and it's only one laminated layer with a welded seem, until you compare them both in your hands and wear both its hard to believe how much better the design is.

Talltimber1
04-21-2019, 10:03 AM
I'm on Vancouver island also, found the arcteryx leaf alpha way better then my kuiu Yukon, lighter, more breathable, and didn't wet out anywhere like the Yukon did. It has stowable hood also and isn't any louder. Sold the Yukon.
Theres no stitching at all in the leaf, and it's only one laminated layer with a welded seem, until you compare them both in your hands and wear both its hard to believe how much better the design is.
I would hope it's better. The price for a jacket is the same as I paid for a jacket and pants.