PDA

View Full Version : Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Darksith
03-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Anyone know where his hunting camp is for bears on north van isle? Shoot me a PM

IronNoggin
03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Why???

Whassup?

Wondering...
Nog

Darksith
03-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Just looking to find a bit more specific of an area of "where" he does his bear hunts. He sees a lot of bears, he has the whole northern tip, and we already spring bear hunt in that area, just looking for a spot that might hold a few more bears than where we hunt traditionally. Looking for a new spot to try this spring. Info or not, I will head west more from the highway this year I think

bc8x8
03-13-2019, 04:16 PM
I have seen his rig's on the west coast. He has a real nice aluminium landing craft with enclosed cab.
Ross

Drillbit
03-14-2019, 12:11 AM
Just book a hunt and find out for sure.

bigredchev
03-14-2019, 05:46 AM
For 30 grand. There must be a more economical way

Salty
03-14-2019, 05:01 PM
I don't know exactly where he hunts but its not just one spot the north island. I know he was around Winter Harbour at times but that's going back quite a while. But I wouldn't put a ton of worry there's bears all over the place up there its not like all the booners are in one spot. They're everywhere just have to find them.

pm sent

Darksith
03-14-2019, 05:06 PM
ya, we usually hunt the east north side, but I would like to venture towards the west coast this year. I have some connections in forestry up there, so trying to get info on harvesting levels in certain areas and dates of blocks cut. Looking for 3-4 year old blocks I think???

Salty
03-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Yup that's a good bet Darksith. Also semi over grown roads with grass along them. Even areas with skunk cabbage depends how early you are.

Darksith
03-14-2019, 05:16 PM
May 4! going in early bc of mothers day, long weekend avoidance and golfing at the end of the month.

Salty
03-14-2019, 05:29 PM
That should be a good bet. Ideally you catch the first good warm spell where it gets up over 20 degrees or so there then they're out in full force. Failing that just look for sign and go from there they might not be in the open so much if its cooler IME.

dakoda62
03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Any where North of Woss is prime bear country, not uncommon to see 40-50 aday once out of hibernation.

Ourea
03-14-2019, 07:22 PM
I wish you success Darksmith.
Bit of an alarm does go off however, when someone asks about where a successful hunter hunts.
No disrespect intended with my comment but another reason why so many successful guys never post and stay underground.

Wild one
03-14-2019, 07:38 PM
His territory is nothing special compared to other parts of the North island. If you really want you can get the boundary map for any GO territory

Personally I would be looking at other parts of the North island where the outfitter does not have Shockey’s name to sell hunts. You know Shockey is booking enough hunters to keep pressure on big boars. I would be searching for good bear habitat that is tougher access that is not under so much pressure

Hell you want an adventure with big black bears Kights Inlet is a good option. Look where others don’t

Treed
03-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Take a look at Nootka Island. I worked there 8 years ago and saw close to 100 bears in 5 days. Headed there this summer again. I’ve haven’t seen too many black bears in Knight inlet. Too many grizzly bears. Had a close call with a grizzly sow and two cubs about 3 years ago up in one of the smaller estuaries.

Wild one
03-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Not talking high numbers but there is quality in knights

Ohwildwon
03-14-2019, 07:55 PM
I remember watching one of his shows a few years ago.

They were walking up a creek in waders for a few km's.

Kept bumping them until they found one they wanted.

Good way to keep yourself down wind...

Sitkaspruce
03-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Jim runs his guess's out of Cluxewe Resort. They have a bunch of cabins there.

He covers a lot of area: north of Quatsino, Holberg to WH area as well as around the Port Alice, Victoria and Alice lakes.

Lots of areas to hunt and lots of big bears around.

Cheers

SS

MichelD
03-15-2019, 10:48 AM
I was flying up to Port Hardy 8 years ago to attend my father's funeral. In the south terminal I saw a small, wiry but richly attired older man encrusted with turquoise jewelry put a rifle case into the luggage rack.

While we were waiting to board I asked him if he was going up the coast grizzly hunting. No, he was going black bear hunting, he said.

"Oh, who with?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"Jim Shackey." he answered. That's the way he pronounced it. American.

When we landed I wanted to see who met him.

Nobody.

He had to go to pay phone. I thought that was pretty funny considering the price he was paying, I thought they'd meet him in a Cadillac.

By the way, a close friend in Port Hardy informs me that there is a group of very enthusiastic black bear hunters from the mill in Port Alice that are hitting that local population pretty hard.

twoSevenO
03-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Bit of an alarm does go off however, when someone asks about where a successful hunter hunts.
No disrespect intended with my comment but another reason why so many successful guys never post and stay underground.

It's the price you pay for all the social media exposure, I guess.

But what's the fun in being good at something if you dont share it? In fact, one only really knows they're good because of other people sharing and their ability to compare their own trophies to others'

fyffer
03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Woss area holds lots of bears.

Wild one
03-15-2019, 04:22 PM

But what's the fun in being good at something if you dont share it? In fact, one only really knows they're good because of other people sharing and their ability to compare their own trophies to others'

And there are many of us where it’s about setting a personal goal/challenge and seeking the experience that comes with trying to accomplish it.

I don’t care if I am good or what others think at all and I know others just like myself. The antlers, horns and skulls hidden away in the collections of some hunters would surprise many

Lots of different reasons we hunt and I bet we all are having fun doing what we do

aamenta
03-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Woss area holds lots of bears.

Good to know. I just saw this thread, I was planning on doing a bear hunt on the north side of the island but this would save a lot of time for sure.
I would love to hunt along the creeks like one of the guys mentioned in a previous comment. Slowly walk up stream in search of a bear.

HighCountryBC
03-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Different strokes for different folks.

The answer is in your last sentence. No shortage of guys with numerous B&C worthy animals that will never enter them. They don't hunt and kill hammers to compare themselves to others. When you're good, you know you're good. That's enough for some.

Sitkaspruce
03-16-2019, 07:40 PM
I was flying up to Port Hardy 8 years ago to attend my father's funeral. In the south terminal I saw a small, wiry but richly attired older man encrusted with turquoise jewelry put a rifle case into the luggage rack.

While we were waiting to board I asked him if he was going up the coast grizzly hunting. No, he was going black bear hunting, he said.

"Oh, who with?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"Jim Shackey." he answered. That's the way he pronounced it. American.

When we landed I wanted to see who met him.

Nobody.

He had to go to pay phone. I thought that was pretty funny considering the price he was paying, I thought they'd meet him in a Cadillac.

By the way, a close friend in Port Hardy informs me that there is a group of very enthusiastic black bear hunters from the mill in Port Alice that are hitting that local population pretty hard.

Mills closed, not a lot of folks living in Alice any more.

Darksith

Look for CB's in the 10-20 year range. The bigger bears like to hang out where there is good edge cover, food and where they can chase the ladies without being out in the open. Lots of bears around, but in my experience of chasing them on the island, the bigger bears like steep and cover and those younger blocks are not ideal habitat for them, except when in the rut, then you can find them any where,

Cheers

SS

cameron0518
03-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Just give him a call. Of course he will help you out. If anyone else could give their GPS coordinates to their best spots, that might help as well. If that doesn't work, there's the old fashioned way of getting off the couch and off the computer and get out there yourself.

dino
03-17-2019, 06:52 AM
I can remember talking to him about moose in my younger years and he offered me advice on how to hunt them......... for $15,000.00
The cost of a moose hunt trip on one of his territories.
I get it, this is his business but not to many young hunters can afford to go on a guided hunt.
BTW he just drives the roads like everone else for bears. Drive, glass cuts anywhere on the island and you will find bears.

twoSevenO
03-17-2019, 10:05 PM
I can remember talking to him about moose in my younger years and he offered me advice on how to hunt them......... for $15,000.00

Why are you so cheap?

Darksith
03-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Any where North of Woss is prime bear country, not uncommon to see 40-50 aday once out of hibernation.
Ya we just haven't been seeing anywhere near those kinds of numbers in the last few years. Apparently they were seeing lots of bears in years before then. Maybe the area is just a bit to busy...maybe we are early, not sure exactly but I would love to see a lot of bears so maybe a different area will produce better numbers, if that fails then we will have to think about later in the month in 2020

You take my question way to specifically. I was just looking for general area, there are tons of valleys and sites, I was just wondering if it was more north tip, mid west coast etc etc. If he had a lodge, its not like I would go and hunt 1km away from that lodge, but it would give someone an idea as hes not going to drive 4h one way from a lodge to hunt black bears.

That being said you are a fool if you don't use what people make public when searching for new ground to investigate. Your telling me you have never looked at an area and then maybe figured out what GO is operating out of that area and had a peek at their pictures of what they are harvesting? I'd never ask for someone's WT or Mulie honey hole, but if you get a rosie elk draw, or are hunting something as common as a black bear, or even any predator...I would hope our community comes together to help that person be successful.

I feel like I am a successful hunter, I take newbies out to my areas quite frequently, and I would rather help a friend that is just starting out than pull the trigger myself most of the time. I have shared numerous spots with people, sometimes resulting in the biggest moose they have harvested, or their first deer. I feel like you have been known to be very secretive...maybe Im wrong, maybe im not...maybe we all need to relax a bit and help others be successful from time to time.

Its not like Im not getting out there, we have done this hunt for several years now. I haven't pulled the trigger on a bear, Im being picky. I will start to be less picky as I become more aware of predators and the damage they are doing to our ungulates

Darksith
03-18-2019, 10:09 AM
His territory is nothing special compared to other parts of the North island. If you really want you can get the boundary map for any GO territory

Personally I would be looking at other parts of the North island where the outfitter does not have Shockey’s name to sell hunts. You know Shockey is booking enough hunters to keep pressure on big boars. I would be searching for good bear habitat that is tougher access that is not under so much pressure

Hell you want an adventure with big black bears Kights Inlet is a good option. Look where others don’t
Ive looked it up, his territory is the entire north island...but ya thats what I am thinking, go in a bit farther as we aren't doing that right now and thats why we are seeing less bears, just lots of hunter pressure...but who knows. I love the adventure

Wild one
03-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Just realized you’re location I can give you good options to the North. The island is good but there is great areas on the mainland as well and no ferry BS. Less hunting pressure from both residents and GOs. Last week May first week June is best for timing.

Offer is there if you want feel free to ask ?s

Ourea
03-18-2019, 11:23 AM
That being said you are a fool if you don't use what people make public when searching for new ground to investigate. Your telling me you have never looked at an area and then maybe figured out what GO is operating out of that area and had a peek at their pictures of what they are harvesting? I'd never ask for someone's WT or Mulie honey hole, but if you get a rosie elk draw, or are hunting something as common as a black bear, or even any predator...I would hope our community comes together to help that person be successful.

Call me a fool then.
And no, I do not sniff on any GO's success as I hunt in areas that they don't or can't hunt do to difficult or no access etc when it comes to chasing giants
It's one thing helping folks out for any buck to get them in the game or on to bears in support of other hunters in general.
I help other's more than I hunt for myself but when it comes to chasing monsters, I, like many, are tight lipped.

LEH aside, expecting trophy GOS areas to be served up on an internet request is another story.

As I stated before, I wish you nothing but success.

Piperdown
03-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Come to Jordan River bears everywhere, Islandwanderer is the only one who hunts them here so none have hit the ground yet :)

Wild one
03-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Call me a fool then.
And no, I do not sniff on any GO's success as I hunt in areas that they don't or can't hunt do to difficult or no access etc when it comes to chasing giants
It's one thing helping folks out for any buck to get them in the game or on to bears in support of other hunters in general.
I help other's more than I hunt for myself but when it comes to chasing monsters, I, like many, are tight lipped.

LEH aside, expecting trophy GOS areas to be served up on an internet request is another story.

As I stated before, I wish you nothing but success.

You are no fool tell people all the time just because you hear lots of people recommend an area does not mean it’s good it just means lots of people hunt there

I have good places I will give up but lots I won’t speak of.

All my top locations were found by looking at maps rolling the dice and checking the area out firsthand

Ourea
03-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Come to Jordan River bears everywhere, Islandwanderer is the only one who hunts them here so none have hit the ground yet :)

Not wishing to distract from Darksith's thread but that is one funny assed comment right there ^^^^^

Ourea
03-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Wish to make it very clear that I am not hatin on Darksith and hope he has a great hunt and gets a dream bear.

There are some really big critters out there and some locations are certainly better than others.
The north island is well known for trophy black bears. It is not about finding Jim's "secret honey hole" that is the formula to success.
I don't know Jim personally but I can almost guarantee that if pressure comes to one of his go to spots he will simply move on.

That's why certain folks are always successful.
They do not follow, they simply pioneer new locations that see little to no pressure.

Identify key habitat.
(awesome post from sitkaspruce on this aspect/topic and thanks!)
Look for low pressure areas within that spectrum.
Hunt it HARD.

I hope Darksith kills a monster bear and we all wish him success.

quadrakid
03-18-2019, 06:42 PM
I don,t hunt bear but i do drive a fair bit of the backroads on north Vancouver island.Bear numbers are way down compared to say 15 or 20 years ago. Just my observations ,nothing scientific. Used to see a dozen bears in may driving CR to Zeballos. Lucky to see one or two these days. Certain spots used to always have a bear feeding in may but are mostly bear free now.

Wild one
03-18-2019, 07:02 PM
I don,t hunt bear but i do drive a fair bit of the backroads on north Vancouver island.Bear numbers are way down compared to say 15 or 20 years ago. Just my observations ,nothing scientific. Used to see a dozen bears in may driving CR to Zeballos. Lucky to see one or two these days. Certain spots used to always have a bear feeding in may but are mostly bear free now.

I have noticed a decline in many locations over 15years it’s not just the island

But I also watched numbers boom in the past as well so It’s not a bad thing.

IslandWanderer
03-18-2019, 07:05 PM

Woohoo! I got a shout out....I think.

Frosty
03-18-2019, 08:13 PM
I think its a lazy mans question of the original poster. With people on many previous threads stating that there are many bears on the north island with alot of help already laid out by locals.....

Do you know how Jim Shockey finds big bears on the north island?

He gets off his ass and puts in time, miles and burns gasoline.

twoSevenO
03-18-2019, 08:16 PM
I think its a lazy mans question of the original poster. With people on many previous threads stating that there are many bears on the north island with alot of help already laid out by locals.....

Uh huh .... is that how rich guys are successful at multiple species in multiple countries over multiple decades?
.... no. They have people doing their scouting for them year around.

Frosty
03-18-2019, 08:17 PM

Poaching of bears on the island is a lot bigger problem than people realize. People are caught, equipment seized. And they are caught again in short order with new everything. The seized property is just a cost to doing business.

Frosty
03-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Uh huh .... is that how rich guys are successful at multiple species in multiple countries over multiple decades?
.... no. They have people doing their scouting for them year around.

He didn't get to his position without hard work. People doing the scouting nowadays is just that. Evolution of his hard work. Or any outfitter for that matter, they are hard working people that put a lot of time in. As they get older, the natural evolution is having younger enthusiastic people coming up through the ranks....

REMINGTON JIM
03-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Yea Him and Danny are Real KILLERs ! for Sure :roll: RJ

twoSevenO
03-18-2019, 09:37 PM
He didn't get to his position without hard work. People doing the scouting nowadays is just that. Evolution of his hard work. Or any outfitter for that matter, they are hard working people that put a lot of time in. As they get older, the natural evolution is having younger enthusiastic people coming up through the ranks....

Yes, all those scouting trips he did in Mongolia, finding his dream Argali ram ... hard work.

boxhitch
03-19-2019, 11:25 AM
He gets off his ass and puts in time, miles and burns gasoline.I doubt Shockey has scouted or guided for a bear for several years

boxhitch
03-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Poaching of bears on the island is a lot bigger problem than people realize. People are caught, equipment seized. And they are caught again in short order with new everything. The seized property is just a cost to doing business.Occasionally there is a news story, and once and a while a charge listed in the quarterly enforcement summaries, but not very often. Those that know of the poaching aren't using Falsebook

Darksith
03-19-2019, 01:02 PM
very interesting stuff. Guess Im lazy bc I can't be bothered to go scout for a decent size bear since it involves ferry rides. I don't give 2 shits about B&C, I just want to see a few more bears than in years past.
Any of you that think JS is checking game cams or getting scouting reports...give your head a shake. He gets Guiding outfits to donate hunts, gets sponsors to pay for hunts all bc of his leverage as a celebrity with multiple TV shows.

As for how to hunt, well I will take any information I can get. Some of it is good, some of it is not. The idea is success, I don't measure the success of a hunt with a tape measure, I measure it by the smiles and memories created. That being said putting some meat in the freezer never hurts.

I run 7 game cams, I have numerous spots and I do a fair amount of scouting in my neighborhood. I will also drive to scout elk or moose...but bear, nah that hunt is just to hang with my buds more than anything. To those that sent me some ideas, thanks, to those that call me lazy or other stupid comments....meh suit yourself, thats whats wrong with our/this community, the positive guys are what make it great, and its bc of them that Im still here.

No sweat Ourea...I wish you luck, I don't chase gut piles, I would rather blaze my own trail, but getting a tip like try this inlet never hurt anyone. My buds don't even want to shoot a big bear, they just want young good eating ones.

Wild one
03-19-2019, 01:07 PM
If it’s just numbers far west end of holberg south side was good in the past. Give it a go but it’s been years since I was there

IronNoggin
03-19-2019, 02:34 PM
... No sweat Ourea...I wish you luck, I don't chase gut piles, I would rather blaze my own trail...

That certainly did not come across in your original request.

... Any of you that think JS is checking game cams or getting scouting reports...give your head a shake. He gets Guiding outfits to donate hunts, gets sponsors to pay for hunts all bc of his leverage as a celebrity with multiple TV shows...

And you "know" this how?
I do know Jim.
And I am well aware of the level of his participation in the vast majority of his outfit's Island hunts.
True he is no longer The Grunt, but entirely unfair the picture you try to paint of him.
He is involved much more than your assumptions indicate.
Really.

I personally don't shoot "young good eating bears".
I will not cancel that tag unless I am looking at a rather large & mature boar.
Every one of Jim's clients think the same way as I do.
So, when I saw your original request, it was automatic to believe you were seeking the same.
And I will admit thinking "gut pile chaser" pretty much immediately.

If what you suggest is true, there are a LOT of areas on the Island that can & will produce young bears for the soup pot.
Sitka's suggestions above are bang on.
And if that is really what you are after, why in hell attempt to crowd in on anyone?
Last place I'd be looking myself is the areas a known Bear Killing Outfitter was operating.

As far as advise, there are literally thousands of bears on the Island that fit your "meat bear" criteria.
And the vast majority of those require a lot less travel (therefore coin) to work on.
Maybe a little more effort on that trail-blazing thing you mentioned is in order??

Just Sayin'...
Nog

Darksith
03-19-2019, 03:07 PM
I think you misunderstood me Iron Noggin...I haven't shot a small bear yet, I haven't shot a bear in 25 years either though. My buddies are looking for something, I am looking for something else. Anyway, lets keep attacking each other, here I am, the lazy hunter! Guess I will try and be like the morons on here and not help anyone out moving forward ;) nah, I'd rather lead by example.

Thanks to all that looked to help, to the guys bored with nothing better to do...piss off ;)

03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Just looking to find a bit more specific of an area of "where" he does his bear hunts. He sees a lot of bears, he has the whole northern tip, and we already spring bear hunt in that area, just looking for a spot that might hold a few more bears than where we hunt traditionally. Looking for a new spot to try this spring. Info or not, I will head west more from the highway this year I think

you have to understand how this looks Darksith... you are literally asking for where he hunts so you can go there.
you must have though that would have stirred up the pot? I mean really step back a minute and look at what you typed and how everyone is misreading it.

Darksith
03-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Anyone know where his hunting camp is for bears on north van isle? Shoot me a PM

Why???

Whassup?

Wondering...
Nog

ya, we usually hunt the east north side, but I would like to venture towards the west coast this year. I have some connections in forestry up there, so trying to get info on harvesting levels in certain areas and dates of blocks cut. Looking for 3-4 year old blocks I think???

And sideways it begins...no disrespect intended but...we sure about that?

Mills closed, not a lot of folks living in Alice any more.

Darksith

Look for CB's in the 10-20 year range. The bigger bears like to hang out where there is good edge cover, food and where they can chase the ladies without being out in the open. Lots of bears around, but in my experience of chasing them on the island, the bigger bears like steep and cover and those younger blocks are not ideal habitat for them, except when in the rut, then you can find them any where,

Cheers

SS
appreciate the tip...TY

Just give him a call. Of course he will help you out. If anyone else could give their GPS coordinates to their best spots, that might help as well. If that doesn't work, there's the old fashioned way of getting off the couch and off the computer and get out there yourself.

Ya we just haven't been seeing anywhere near those kinds of numbers in the last few years. Apparently they were seeing lots of bears in years before then. Maybe the area is just a bit to busy...maybe we are early, not sure exactly but I would love to see a lot of bears so maybe a different area will produce better numbers, if that fails then we will have to think about later in the month in 2020

You take my question way to specifically. I was just looking for general area, there are tons of valleys and sites, I was just wondering if it was more north tip, mid west coast etc etc. If he had a lodge, its not like I would go and hunt 1km away from that lodge, but it would give someone an idea as hes not going to drive 4h one way from a lodge to hunt black bears.

I feel like I am a successful hunter, I take newbies out to my areas quite frequently, and I would rather help a friend that is just starting out than pull the trigger myself most of the time. I have shared numerous spots with people, sometimes resulting in the biggest moose they have harvested, or their first deer. I feel like you have been known to be very secretive...maybe Im wrong, maybe im not...maybe we all need to relax a bit and help others be successful from time to time.

Its not like Im not getting out there, we have done this hunt for several years now. I haven't pulled the trigger on a bear, Im being picky. I will start to be less picky as I become more aware of predators and the damage they are doing to our ungulates

Wish to make it very clear that I am not hatin on Darksith and hope he has a great hunt and gets a dream bear.

There are some really big critters out there and some locations are certainly better than others.
The north island is well known for trophy black bears. It is not about finding Jim's "secret honey hole" that is the formula to success.
I don't know Jim personally but I can almost guarantee that if pressure comes to one of his go to spots he will simply move on.

That's why certain folks are always successful.
They do not follow, they simply pioneer new locations that see little to no pressure.

Identify key habitat.
(awesome post from sitkaspruce on this aspect/topic and thanks!)
Look for low pressure areas within that spectrum.
Hunt it HARD.

I hope Darksith kills a monster bear and we all wish him success.

Cherry pick a certain post all you want, but the post was going pretty well until a couple guys decided to pipe up with nothing good to say and sideways it went. I think I made it very clear I wasn't looking for a specific cut block or valley, but maybe just a region (north tip, mid west, east) there seems to be a hundred roads and I will happily throw a dart and go, but if someone has any pointers like "avoid this spot, its shot out" why wouldn't I take that advice?

Ourea
03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Darksith, sorry you are feeling ganged up on.
That certainly was not my intent with my comments.
Not how I roll.

I think/hope you got some additional intel that will help in a more satifying hunt far as eyes on more bears this spring.
Good luck, long way to go for a bear!

Islandeer
03-19-2019, 06:15 PM
All good hear boys, we all do have a common goal.
Enjoy your time on the island Darksmith, I’d help but the only spot I knew up north would be Bonanza lake.

Frosty
03-19-2019, 07:49 PM
I would rather blaze my own trail....

…..said no one ever that ever that started a thread like this.

northof49
03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Wanting to know where a guys hunting camp is seemed bit odd outta the gate.....interesting approach. Figured it would have derailed sooner. Not hard to find bears big or small.

dino
03-19-2019, 08:50 PM
And sideways it begins...no disrespect intended but...we sure about that?

appreciate the tip...TY

Cherry pick a certain post all you want, but the post was going pretty well until a couple guys decided to pipe up with nothing good to say and sideways it went. I think I made it very clear I wasn't looking for a specific cut block or valley, but maybe just a region (north tip, mid west, east) there seems to be a hundred roads and I will happily throw a dart and go, but if someone has any pointers like "avoid this spot, its shot out" why wouldn't I take that advice?

Dont listen to the armchair clowns. Asking for info is offensive to some, if I still lived and hunted there I would help you out as much as possible. Like I said earlier, all he did when he was on the tools was drive around and glass blocks. That is what most do, to shoot a good boar is luck no real skill other than knowing where they tend to gather. Drive enough roads and anyone can see where the bears are.

Ourea
03-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Dont listen to the armchair clowns. Asking for info is offensive to some, if I still lived and hunted there I would help you out as much as possible. Like I said earlier, all he did when he was on the tools was drive around and glass blocks. That is what most do, to shoot a good boar is luck no real skill other than knowing where they tend to gather. Drive enough roads and anyone can see where the bears are.

I am no armchair cowboy dino, that you know, as you have reached out to me for a little MD intel in the past.
I think the knee jerk was that a member flat out asked where a known successful individual hunts.
A few simply stated that is probably not the best tact to get info.

If someone started a thread by saying...."where does dino hunt his MD, where are his camps etc".
Pretty sure you know how many would react.

And killing big bears, "is luck and no real skill is required".
If that was the case pretty much every BC hunter would have a 8 ft bear on the wall, and that certainly is not the case.

wideopenthrottle
03-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Are you just trying to draw attention to an area you don't hunt to lure away hunters from your area?...if so, well played...heheheh....just kidding

IronNoggin
03-20-2019, 10:59 AM
I think you misunderstood me Iron Noggin...

Perhaps. However it was your own wording that lead me to my thoughts in this regard.
You did after all ask directly where the man's camp and area of operations were...
And to me as well as obviously a few others, that certainly did smack of chasing gut piles.

If I did misinterpret, I apologize for taking you to task in this regard.

Best of Luck on your Island run.
There are some rather huge boars over here, although they ain't quite as "easy" to wander across as some would have you believe.
Put your time in, and you will likely find what you are seeking.
For your Buddies hunting grits, they will most likely limit out in fairly short order...

Cheers,
Nog

MichelD
03-20-2019, 11:15 AM
I doubt Shockey has scouted or guided for a bear for several years

I don't know what he personally does, but he's got his staff driving around the whole North end scouting.

I shot my first bear within walking distance from Port Hardy in 1976 (I lived on the flats) and numerous ones since but to be honest, in the last few years before my dad died there and I quit going regularly in 2012, there just weren't the numbers there used to be. I would attribute that to several things; (1) Shockey advertising that every bear up there was a fire-breathing, tire-biting monster (2) Sites like this one, and (3) More poaching than we'd really like to realize is occurring.

I was up for nearly a week on a friends elk hunt about three years ago and we saw one bear. And that was near Holberg!

Don't get me wrong, I have received invaluable hunting information on these pages for moose, deer, sheep and bears; I'm as guilty as the next guy for asking for info. Hopefully I've shared a bit too. But still, there is a lot of Internet scouting that goes on and it shows.

But really, there was a period there not so long ago that I could go up to Hardy, visit my mom and then later my dad in the care home for a couple days, then go out in an evening, shoot a bear, throw it in the back of the truck, pop in and say bye to my dad and scoot home with the bear. One morning I went out with a good buddy up there first thing in the morning, and within 20 minutes we saw a bear. It was a sow with cubs. Ten minutes later we drove the end of a spur road and came to a berm of gravel near the end. He was about to back up and I said "No-Wait!" there was a bear walking straight towards us. Got him. We hadn't been out an hour.

walks with deer
03-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Darksith,

Can I please have the coordinates to your region 3 moose camp.

I am not kidding.

Darksith
03-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Darksith,

Can I please have the coordinates to your region 3 moose camp.

I am not kidding.

KM 53 on sawmill last year ;) not kidding either! But moose numbers are way down, a bunch got skunked, we only saw 2...only needed 2 though ;)

I admire JS, don't get me wrong. He is a good voice and someone to pay attention to on "how to" talk to the public and get our message out. Who isn't jealous of that guy. And Im sure its no different than me running a company. Just because Im not on the tools doesn't mean Im not involved.

walks with deer
03-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Lol,

I was just tormenting.

I have shot book bears the last two years around home..(literally) personally i would stay on the mainland and push for some color phase.

Or do a salmon bear combo

03-20-2019, 02:26 PM

that is easy to do .....Come in the fall and hunt the west coast rivers....... Salmonbears everywhere

Darksith
03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Lol,

I was just tormenting.

I have shot book bears the last two years around home..(literally) personally i would stay on the mainland and push for some color phase.

I know haha, its all leh anyway, no big secret, nothing special either though
I go to the island more to hang with my best bro. If I see a big one I will take a shot, or if I can get on it with my bow I will take a shot, otherwise Im just there for the drinks and social, but it would be fun to see more bears
I will kill at least 1 bear around home this year...

that is easy to do .....Come in the fall and hunt the west coast rivers....... Salmonbears everywhere
I think he meant fishing ;)

I do 10 days end of June early July every year on the island!

RugDoctor
03-21-2019, 11:18 AM
KM 53 on sawmill last year ;) not kidding either! But moose numbers are way down, a bunch got skunked, we only saw 2...only needed 2 though ;)

I admire JS, don't get me wrong. He is a good voice and someone to pay attention to on "how to" talk to the public and get our message out. Who isn't jealous of that guy. And Im sure its no different than me running a company. Just because Im not on the tools doesn't mean Im not involved.
More wolves than you have bullets out there too....

walks with deer
03-21-2019, 03:15 PM
I think I will try and kill one with the blackpowder 12gauge muzzle loader. lol

spring bear hunting however typically I just focus my energy on killing fawn eaters.

Every hunter should shoot one bear a year in a area deer a moose use to fawn.

Darksith
03-21-2019, 03:33 PM
More wolves than you have bullets out there too....

In years past for sure. This year we saw less sign of them, not much around for them to chase though so makes sense. Worst season I can remember out there for game numbers.

dino
03-22-2019, 08:20 PM
I am no armchair cowboy dino, that you know, as you have reached out to me for a little MD intel in the past.
I think the knee jerk was that a member flat out asked where a known successful individual hunts.
A few simply stated that is probably not the best tact to get info.

If someone started a thread by saying...."where does dino hunt his MD, where are his camps etc".
Pretty sure you know how many would react.

And killing big bears, "is luck and no real skill is required".
If that was the case pretty much every BC hunter would have a 8 ft bear on the wall, and that certainly is not the case.

Not trying to get in any pissing match there bud but I stand 100% behind what I posted. Ive seen JS hunting bear and passed him on a few occasions, His style was exactly like I posted. As far as ease with taking a good bear Through my experience is luck. Btw only a small percentage of hunters go bear hunting. Also where I hunt is no secret, just like where you hunt some of your muleys.

steel_ram
03-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Having a few gate key's (even on the north island) and a boat would definitely be an asset. Hunt a few years in the same area and you learn what spots dominant bears tend to show. When one's taken out the next in line will move in. Assistant hunters with radio's helps too.

MichelD
01-27-2022, 05:30 PM

You mean his staff don't you?

Frosty
01-28-2022, 10:37 AM
You must have glazed over this...

Gateholio
01-28-2022, 12:20 PM
This thread is almost 3 years old.

Bubbacanuck
01-28-2022, 12:24 PM
At least its hunting related somewhat...

fuzzybiscuit
01-28-2022, 01:07 PM
This thread is almost 3 years old.

It is but I’d really like to know if Darksith was successful in beating Shockey to a good bear…..

Jagermeister
01-28-2022, 02:52 PM
It’s more about asking than it is about hunting.

huntcoop
01-31-2022, 01:40 PM
The big question is, did Darksith shoot a monster?

REMINGTON JIM
01-31-2022, 02:21 PM
The big question is, did Darksith shoot a monster?

Yea ! and was it a PURE BLOOD ? :lol: RJ

walks with deer
01-31-2022, 10:51 PM

Wow wow here ! If this thread is back from the dead..

I would save the salmonbears for Islandwanderer...hahaha.
I mean june salmon fishing and bear bowhunting..eg go on a charter.