PDA

View Full Version : Deer and scents

WoodOx
09-18-2007, 11:35 AM
What are peoples experiences with mule and whitetails during the rut, and using various attractant scents?

What scents do you use? Do you put it in one place, or drag a scent line towards your position? How long does the scent tend to attract bucks?

thatskindafunny
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
The best scent is no scent. Shower and carry anti bacterial baby wipes. If you walk into an area to hunt and your sweating you would be surpirsed what a couple wipes can do. Take your hat off and start there. Undo your shirt and wipe the pits and chest. Yes you can go further. My old mother in law use to call this having a PTA after hiking for a few days. Not hard to figure.

dave_fras
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
i use the real thing.... if anyone i know got a deer around the rut... i always stop by... the real thing has always worked well for me!

todbartell
09-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Ive always used the Scent-A-Way sprays on my clothes and washed them in a non UV brightening, non scent soap, both made by Hunter Specialties.

Lately Ive been using their scent wafers (fresh earth) pinned somewhere on my jacket or pack.

If you're looking at scents to bring in game, check out this site

http://www.buckbomb.com (http://www.buckbomb.com/)

Ive used the Elk Bomb cow in heat and the stuff is wickedly wretched stench. They make it for whitetails, mulies, moose, coyote, etc. I think the aerosol really lingers better than a pump spray type of scent.

With scents I wouldnt go too overboard, Id worry more about cover scents than anything

Phil
09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
On my last hunt I cut out the scent glands of a little buck I shot and left them in camp. The next day while out hunting with my hunting partner we could not shake this doe. She approached us once and snorted a few times and then turned and waked into a cut. A few minutes later she came trotting back snorting again. The whole encounter lasted 10 min or so. I'm guessing that I had enough scent on my clothing to interest her. We finally lost her when we walked into the bush. I've never tried deer scent before but I'm sold now.

Will
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Haven't really given Commercial Scent products much thought ?
I've always thought they were Gimmicks mostly but can't hurt I guess ? :-?

Orangethunder
09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I find the real thing works ok. I have never had much luck with commercial stuff. I used to use cover scents and body was and so on but I haven't noticed a real difference since I quit. Go for the real stink!!

ursus
09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
There is nothing better than the real thing! You can double bag them and put in the freezer. They will last a couple of seasons.

300WinMag
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Phil,

Where are the scent glands located? I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

Thanks.

Phil
09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Phil,

Where are the scent glands located? I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

Thanks.

On the inside of the hind legs at about knee level between the leg bone and the tendon . The hair all comes together to form a spout and it is usually darkened with secretions. I try to cut all the way around the gland without cutting the tendon so you can still hang the deer from the hind legs through the tendon. Hope this helps.

locdog_99
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
around the knee cap i think

dukester
09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
What are peoples experiences with mule and whitetails during the rut, and using various attractant scents?

What scents do you use? Do you put it in one place, or drag a scent line towards your position? How long does the scent tend to attract bucks?
If your sitting waiting near a scrap line for the old buck DEFINATLEY use a doe in heat scent near you or a buck in rut. you can not 100 % eliminate human odour, good shower with non scented soap, smoke your hunting coat.. sit by the fire down wind for a couple minutes. best cover scent around.

WoodOx
09-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Ive heard the fire tactic from a lot of hunters..

I was more so referring to doe in heat, and unless I rip out and preserve a esterus uterus, I would say commercial is the way ive got to go :D

dukester
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
[quote=agaucher;185999]Ive heard the fire tactic from a lot of hunters..

I was more so referring to doe in heat, and unless I rip out and preserve a esterus uterus, I would say commercial is the way ive got to go :D

i use doe in heat in mid Nov .. put a couple drops right in the middle of a scrape.. sit and wait. .