PDA

View Full Version : transporting game

pointandshoot
09-17-2007, 11:54 PM
hey guys & gals, i have a question about transporting game that i need clarified. i know that in the reg's it says that certain parts need to be attached to the animal so the co's can id it in a game check or what have you. but what happens when someone is on a hunt and takes the animal to a butcher to get cut up? or say someone is on a 2 week trip, i'm sure they don't want to leave the carcass whole. so is it ok to transport game cut and wrapped as long as you have the head and genitals or wing with you? just need to know the proper way to do it. thanks

Mr. Dean
09-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I had this problem last year. I found that the animal is to be inspected 1st. Contact the the local CO and talk to them. I found that they worked 'with' me.

Radar
09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
My understanding is that it needs to be indentifiable until it gets to the butchers. Once it gets there and is cut and wrapped you do not need to keep the "parts for ID".

You just need the following (taken from regs)

Anyone having wildlife butchered and
packaged is required to obtain from the
butcher a receipt which indicates:
the Hunter Number,
the species licence number, and
the species, and sex of the animal taken.

Mr. Dean
09-18-2007, 06:50 AM
The problem I faced was doing my own cutting away from my residence, then needing to transport home.... My animals don't get commercially cut up.

srupp
09-18-2007, 07:38 AM
hmm I would think thats not allowed UNLESS you are a licensed butcher,the whole idea is to have a licensed "impartial " 3rd party identify amount, sex, species etc etc..as well as when and where..and that 3rd party have something to lose IF he missrepresented the facts in any way......

The ONLY exception "may" be IF you bring the animal to your residence and THEN transport it to say a friends house in your comunity for cutting say because he has a bigger garage etc..but I would sure want to be able to Prove I had brought that aninmal home first and also i would check with the CO'S..

Steven

Mr. Dean
09-18-2007, 08:27 AM
It's allowed... But there are hoops that need to be jumped through.

I'm posting from experience - Contact the local CO.

pointandshoot
09-18-2007, 10:17 PM
thanks for all the replies. first year hunting for me and i'm going up to 100 mile in october for a week and a bit so i was wondering what i should do if i get something in the first few days. quartering and transporting in coolers is ok though? sorry if this is basic stuff, but i really don't want to find out the hard way. thanks for all the help so far.

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 12:43 AM
thanks for all the replies. first year hunting for me and i'm going up to 100 mile in october for a week and a bit so i was wondering what i should do if i get something in the first few days. quartering and transporting in coolers is ok though? sorry if this is basic stuff, but i really don't want to find out the hard way. thanks for all the help so far.

That's all fine and dandy AND it's covered in the regs.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/hunting/regulations/

Read em over so that you're SURE it's done properly.

Phoneguy
09-19-2007, 06:36 PM
That's all fine and dandy AND it's covered in the regs.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/hunting/regulations/

Read em over so that you're SURE it's done properly.

Link doesn't work

Try this:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0708/docs/Hunting_Regulations.pdf

and go to page 20

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks Mr. bell.

burger
09-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Another question for all. Say I go on a moose hunt (I am in three weeks and am stoked) shoot a moose and then quarter it to pack it out of the bush what do I have to retain on the animal as to not have problems when transporting home I.E. the genitals are on only one quarter what about the rest??

I have only transported deer and have kept them whole so am unsure.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 08:28 AM
IIRC (reg's aren't in front of me...) The reg's were re-written to allow for this last year, I believe.

Genitlas AND a patch of hair on all chunks (?). I know it's covered in the regs. Hit up that link and post us the answer.

burger
09-20-2007, 09:18 AM
IIRC (reg's aren't in front of me...) The reg's were re-written to allow for this last year, I believe.

Genitlas AND a patch of hair on all chunks (?). I know it's covered in the regs. Hit up that link and post us the answer.

It seem you are correct sir.

308Lover
09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
CO's must be able to determine if all game parts belong to the same animal. Short of DNA testing (they CAN confiscate if in doubt) they cannot tell. If it is quartered, or in my case 6 pieces of large moose consisting of four legs, brisket/ribs, and the saddle (75 pounds in my case), the pieces could be seen as male since penis was left attached to hind quarter AND you must have the antlers with you. Moose antlers are no fun to pack on your back either.You are asking for trouble if you deviate from this procedure. If you have a cut/wrapped/frozen/unfrozen pkgs of meat and are driving around the country with it you are playing with the dice. I take marked, frozen pkgs to friends, but they are from the butcher, and I keep my bills. Yes, I cut lots at home too.

brotherjack
09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Anyone who possesses or transports the
carcass or part of the carcass of the following
animals must leave naturally attached to
the carcass or one part of the carcass in
the person’s possession the following listed
parts:

(1) For elk, moose, and deer:
(a) If the animal is male, either
(i) that portion of the head which
bears the antlers, OR

(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,
AND the animal’s tail or another
readily identifiable part of the hide
not less than 6 cm2.

Look closely at the key words that I put in bold-face in the above quote. I can't see any other way to read that, other than to conclude that it means you have to only have one piece of the carcass which meets the requirements. Subsequently, the requirements basically state, that you have to have the rack ("that portion of the head which bears the antlers"), or the genitals still attached to one portion of the carcass. So, having read that, I would pack out the head/rack, and/or leave the goodies attached to a hindquarter, and presume that I had met my legal obligations.

NOTE: That may not be the whole of the actual law - but if the law is otherwise than the above, then I suspect that having such a gross mis-representation of that otherwise law being published in the Hunting Synopsis would be grounds for dismissal of a case if charged.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I believe that antlers are needed only if there is a point restriction (GOS - not sure if an "any bull" LEH Moose needs head/horn inspections). Other than that, the genitals say's it all. Infact, if you want to remove the genitals,,, then you DO need to keep the head w/ rack attached, in order to ID the sex... It's just easier (most cases) to keep the genitals.

Also, If you opt for leaving the head, you NEED to keep the tail as well attached for species ID.

You are asking for trouble if you deviate from this procedure.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he does nor am I thinking that he plans on it. Someone had a valid question and others are here sharing experiences, is all.

If that wasn't the case, the thread would be zapped/nuked/pulled/trashed for condoning an illegal activity. Definitely NOT the case here.

Just to be clear; When in doubt, look to the rule book. This is all covered within it.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 10:37 AM
BJ is on the right trac.

Phoneguy
09-20-2007, 12:09 PM
OK, so here is a what if for peoples discussion, and something I have been thinking about for my own upcoming (hopefully succesful LEH doe hunt).

Seeing as I have an LEH, will have the appropriate tags, can I take off the head and leave it in the bush? Saves on weight and I am not planning on doing anything with it. I would want to cut out the milk sacs too.

So no horns, no udder, but legally tagged doe? Would I get grief?

Appreciate the resources that all the knowlegable people share here.

James

brotherjack
09-20-2007, 01:09 PM
(b) If the animal is female, either
(i) that portion of the head which in
males normally bears antlers, OR
(ii) both a portion of the udder or
teats, AND the animal’s tail or
another readily identifiable part of
the hide not less than 6 cm2.
So yeah, no teats AND no head - you're in trouble if you get caught.

bighornbob
09-20-2007, 01:12 PM
OK, so here is a what if for peoples discussion, and something I have been thinking about for my own upcoming (hopefully succesful LEH doe hunt).

Seeing as I have an LEH, will have the appropriate tags, can I take off the head and leave it in the bush? Saves on weight and I am not planning on doing anything with it. I would want to cut out the milk sacs too.

So no horns, no udder, but legally tagged doe? Would I get grief?

Appreciate the resources that all the knowlegable people share here.

James

In your case (with a LEH doe tag) I would only leave the tail on to identify species. Everything else does not matter since you have a doe tag.

BHB

newhunterette
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Wildlife Act
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/W/Wildlife/340_82.htm#section4.01

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/W/96488_01.htm

308Lover
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Mr Dean:
Antlers MUST accompany deer and moose when transporting. Check it out.That's why I pack out lousy looking hatracks from time-to-time.

308Lover
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Sorry about my earlier comment on antlers. It's been so long since we had an open season on bull moose that this reg. applies to LEH Bulls only.(Moose) Page 3 of LEH regs for 2007-2008. Antlers must accompany species license etc. when returing from hunting (In case of inspection by F and Wildlife).

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks 308.

All Good on this side.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Ali, thanks for the links. They'll come in handy, sometime

KodiakHntr
09-20-2007, 08:01 PM
BE CAREFULL. Buddy of mine was denied entry to a butcher shop last fall with a mature bull moose (LEH) in Prince George, because the quarters that he brought in did not ALL have evidence of sex on them. He left more than the required amount of hair on each quarter, and transported the quarters and ribs with the head and antlers, but was denied access to the shop because one hind quarter, and both fronts did not have evidence of sex on them. AND the butcher then called the CO and reported him for having quarters without evidence of sex. The CO was already on the way to his house when my buddy called the CO service to complain and ask what the legality of the situation was.
End result, he was warned for not leaving evidence on each quarter, and he was given a note from the CO to allow the pieces into the butcher shop.
Sidenote, when he didn't go to the same shop, the CO called him the next day to find out why he went somewhere else...Response, that guy is an A**hole, who doesn't know his A** from a steak if he can't match up cuts from front quarters to neck.

Gun Dog
09-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Antlers MUST accompany deer and moose when transporting. Check it out.That's why I pack out lousy looking hatracks from time-to-time.That's not true, in the case of "any buck" you need proof of sex -- antlers or a nut. In the very rare case of a doe with antlers then you need the antlers. In the case of a fawn (i.e. "antlerless") then you need the non-antlers. In the case of a "4 point or better" opening then you need the antlers.

Simple, right?

krazy
09-20-2007, 09:00 PM
BE CAREFULL. Buddy of mine was denied entry to a butcher shop last fall with a mature bull moose (LEH) in Prince George, because the quarters that he brought in did not ALL have evidence of sex on them. He left more than the required amount of hair on each quarter, and transported the quarters and ribs with the head and antlers, but was denied access to the shop because one hind quarter, and both fronts did not have evidence of sex on them. AND the butcher then called the CO and reported him for having quarters without evidence of sex. The CO was already on the way to his house when my buddy called the CO service to complain and ask what the legality of the situation was.
End result, he was warned for not leaving evidence on each quarter, and he was given a note from the CO to allow the pieces into the butcher shop.
Sidenote, when he didn't go to the same shop, the CO called him the next day to find out why he went somewhere else...Response, that guy is an A**hole, who doesn't know his A** from a steak if he can't match up cuts from front quarters to neck.

OK I may not be the brightest bulb in the room but how would it even be possible to leave evidence of sex on all 4 quarters of an animal??? And what about the times that you need to break it down to more than 4 quarters??? There's only so much "eveidence of sex" to go around - even for a moose :shock: This does not make any sense and I believe the regs are clear that you only need to leave it on a "part of the carcas" if you are breaking it apart.

Statler
09-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Got some safety pins and a sharp knife?:p

Mr. Dean
09-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Sorry about my earlier comment on antlers. It's been so long since we had an open season on bull moose that this reg. applies to LEH Bulls only.(Moose) Page 3 of LEH regs for 2007-2008. Antlers must accompany species license etc. when returing from hunting (In case of inspection by F and Wildlife).

That's not true, in the case of "any buck" you need proof of sex -- antlers or a nut. In the very rare case of a doe with antlers then you need the antlers. In the case of a fawn (i.e. "antlerless") then you need the non-antlers. In the case of a "4 point or better" opening then you need the antlers.

Simple, right?

I think we got this cleared up from 308's last post.

reach
09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
That's not true, in the case of "any buck" you need proof of sex -- antlers or a nut. In the very rare case of a doe with antlers then you need the antlers. In the case of a fawn (i.e. "antlerless") then you need the non-antlers. In the case of a "4 point or better" opening then you need the antlers.

Simple, right?
Just to clarify - as the regs go, a doe with antlers is not a doe. It is a buck. The definition of a buck is "with reference to deer, moose, or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers." Genitalia are irrelevant.

From that standpoint, to be 100% legal squeaky clean, I would never use nuts/teats as evidence of sex. The head is the only thing that matters to the regulations. (If it's possible to have a male deer without antlers, or a female deer with antlers, then the genitalia are completely useless as evidence of sex for the purposes of complying with the hunting regulations.)