PDA

View Full Version : Nicks and Mikes weekend

srupp
09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Well after a long wait it finally happened, Mike AKA LEASEMAN and his 13 year old son Nick travelled north to Williams Lake and met up with myself for an attempt at getting Nick his first deer. We met on Thursday in Horsefly and travelled the short distance to where I had set up my trailer and made our deer camp. After a quick settling in we headed out for a walk that evening but after 2 hours had only managed one doe sighting..so off for some of the world famous Susan Rupps home cooking and a early evening. By 4 am we were up having a breakfast and headed high into the mountains...leaving Mike on a lookout I took Nick into my secret location... and no sooner had it turned shooting light ..and we had been busted by the first of many deer, as a beautiful 3x4 showed us WHITE....as he left ..a short while later we stopped and started glassing and deer were EVERYWHERE however we again were busted by a doe and 2 young fawns..and when she left in the now familliar pogo step exit so did the 6 bucks on the next level..

Nick had a .308 calibre with reduced loads limiting his shots to 150 yards..so I held off on the long range attempt at the retreating bucks..3x4..4x4 and heavy high country animals at that... by mornings end we had seen 13 deer 50-50 half bucks half does...and by noon we were headed back to camp...
After a lunch and a siesta I went back up the mountain with a "tent chair blind" for Nick and a evening hunt while Nick and his dad Mike were overlooking another sweet feeding area..

That nite I seen a TREMENDOUS black bear heavily furred and 7 feet and 500 pounds!!! One of the nicest and heaviest blacks I have ever seen..along with some does that conclued the first days efforts and after supper sleep came easily...

The next morning we repeated everything except Mike joined us..and within moments of legal shooting light Nick spots 5 bucks in a small draw unfortunatly again beyond Nicks self imposed 150 yar limit..so Mike steps up and closes the sale with a beautiful yet challenging shot at 200 yards..

The buck that stayed long enough wasnt the biggest racked buck in BC however he was legal.....

I went down the draw to find the buck in the tall fire weed and when I found the buck I radioed back to Mike and Nick..."awww Mike ...(strategic pause) we have a bit of a problem.....

Mike hesitantly.."aww whats that..

I replied " Mike its a large DOE....!! I could hear Mike POOPING at that news.. ...but for Nicks sake I didnt keep up the joke long and soon it was celebration in Father and son having shared this special event...Back for the quad..and the field dressing and another evening hunt with no shooters..

Next morning after spooking one buck past Mike we prepared to leave with some exellent memories...

Nick even though only being 13, was mature enough to realize the bucks we found were beyond his safe and effective shooting limit and never complained that DAD did the shooting it was a great adventure...15 or so bucks seen..slightly more does and fawns and a moose and several bears..not bad for a weekend..I enjoyed Mike and Nicks company and was proud to be there and help try get Ncks first buck..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_08060003.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_08040002.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_07930001.jpg

steven

Gateholio
09-17-2007, 11:06 PM
HA HA HA

"A BIG DOE"

HA HA HA

:biggrin::biggrin:

Allen50
09-18-2007, 12:10 AM
just sound like you and your son had way to much fun, great to see dad teaching son on when to shoot and when not to shoot,, cool...

Mr. Dean
09-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Lot's of critter sightings... Sounds like an excellent weekend.

At least you guys got a doe.

HAHAHA!

mapguy
09-18-2007, 06:22 AM
thay would have been fun

srupp
09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
ALLEN 50 ....the photo is of Nick and me (Steven)..and Nick is Mikes son..Susan and I were never blessed with children .

Steven

newhunterette
09-18-2007, 08:23 AM
what a wonderful experience for Nick - Steven I am sure u built a lifetime of memories for him and exciting for Mike to be there with you and his son - sounds like a fabulous time for everyone and the pictures are sweet :)

again you amaze me with your story telling :)
thank you for sharing once again
Ali

Derek_Erickson
09-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Congrats to Nick, seems a few kids are connecting this year good to see

7mmag
09-18-2007, 08:33 AM
You should be a writer great story!

Leaseman
09-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Steven does write a great story....the only thing better is a real life adventure with Steve....

He is a heck of a host and very entertaining....Nick started off the trip complaining he didn't know when Steve was serious or not...:eek:...although he did get me with the...."Mike, we have a bit of a problem....you have a big doe down...."...funny how you get "that" feeling in the pit of your stomach....I still owe you for that one buddy....;-)

Great country Steve showed use with large amounts of game, several species at that!...The only complaint I have was with this being Steves secret spot, it sure was hard driving in with the blind fold on....:-)

Great to find a new and hopefully life long friend like you Steve. Nick and I hope to show you asd good a time when you get down soon for some sturgeon fishing!!!

Thanks again Buddy....:D

Elkhound
09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
congrats guys. hope he tastes as good as he looks