PDA

View Full Version : Pasayten river by Eastgate

dino
09-17-2007, 09:29 PM
anyone have any info into this area access, trails ,type of game ect.

cowboy-up69
09-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I was up that way in '03 fightin forest fires, on the way up and down we always saw animals, deer, bear, moose, lots of 'em. Pretty rocky terrain when you get way back in there (30-40 k's) Nice country for sure though!!!!

locdog_99
09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
my friend goes there during any buck and usaly gets one without to much work

BearSniper
09-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Pasayten,

I've been in there a few times, goes all the way to the border.

There are deer in there, was chasing a medium sized black bear in there last spring but I lost him.:mad:

Fires took out a lot of forest last summer. Theres also a few cabins and homes in there, you can see them on google earth, thus private roads.

However, if you recall last years the big drug bust where the helicopters were being used to transport dope, I'm afraid some of that has started up again.

You may see some awful strange looking people in there who do not look like outdoors people, but if they see a big rifle they're likely to steer clear of you.

Once the snow falls it'll be choked with snowmobilers.

Ya, you'll find critters in there-possibly a few whitetails dwon by the river itself

Good luck:razz:

kennyg826
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
No deer there, right guys. :shock: Too close to princeton. They don't have any deer or elk or moose or black bear or whities.:wink: But you never know what you might see IF you get out and walk away from the road. Watch for NO MOTORIZED VEHICLE areas.

locdog_99
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
does any1 hunt on the other side of the eastgate highway?

ruger#1
09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Ive hunted on the south side, I come in from copper mine road , Lots of clear cuts, Very nice area. On the gps your almost to the east gate. haven't been in there since the fire, With the new growth it will be good.

highcountry88
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
The Payseten river has generated a lot of deer over the years, but my understanding that it was a while ago. Typically we used to hunt the old burn (about 12 years ago) and saw mulies but were not that successful.

A friend gave me a tip on looking for elk in the area which I thought was unusual so we went to check it out. Normally, we would hunt the burn at the far south end of the valley as you get close to the border, but we were told to break off the main road and walk head west up the valley away from the Pasayten river.

Once we got about 300 yeards off the main gravel road, we did found the hillsides were traversed with old logging roads with a fair amount of small grass clearings. There were plenty of good shooting lanes but we were amazed at the amount of elk sign. There was tons of both fresh and old droppings.
Back then I was hunting with several youngsters (so we were not that quiet) and hence saw no elk, but we got a few grouse.....but finding the sign there was amazing. I had never considered the area to have elk.

My buddy just got back from Pasayten a week ago and he said there were a bunch of dirtbikes on the main road and the dirtbikes were even getting up into the non motorized area....he saw no game. He was frosted...

I think I wouldn't mind giving the area another try though...it is fairly close and you could even do a day hunt and not burn too much gas.