PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a lantern...ideas?

Icedog
09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I've given up my fruitless search for fuel canisters to fit my little "Gaz" lantern and moved on to shopping for a new lantern. I'm leaning towards a small Coleman. I forget the model name, but it's about 9 1/4" high and uses Coleman fuel or unleaded gas...though apparently Canadian unleaded has some additives which will eventually foul it. Anyway, I like the idea of liquid fuel which can be purchaseed in bulk for refills, rather than using throw away canisters. I have a small liquid fuel Coleman stove, and having the same fuel for a lantern would be handy also. That being said, I'm still open to any other ideas and recommendations others might be willing to offer.

Paulyman
09-17-2007, 08:21 PM
If you don't like the canisters you can buy a propane tree that your lantern can attach to and you can attach the propane tree to a 20 LB tank, no replacing canisters and having to deal with the garbage.

Tarp Man
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Make sure to check out the Brunton line of Backpacker lanterns. My friend has one that runs off butane and it burns like a torch and is relatively light.

JeffR
09-22-2007, 09:42 AM
If you don't like the canisters you can buy a propane tree that your lantern can attach to and you can attach the propane tree to a 20 LB tank, no replacing canisters and having to deal with the garbage.

I just used this setup for the first time this week, and I am never going back to anything else. Ran the lantern and teh stove for a whole week, and when we left the tank felt about 3/4 full. It was nice not having to worry about running out of gas, and when you think about how many small canisters you would have to take for a week long trip, a 20lb tank isn't really that much more cumbersome, as long as you are driving in.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I just used this setup for the first time this week, and I am never going back to anything else. Ran the lantern and teh stove for a whole week, and when we left the tank felt about 3/4 full. It was nice not having to worry about running out of gas, and when you think about how many small canisters you would have to take for a week long trip, a 20lb tank isn't really that much more cumbersome, as long as you are driving in.

I was looking at picking up a smaller tank maybe a 5 or 10lb'er for the space savings but holy frick!!! They cost a lot more than a 20lb bottle!! :o

Consumer rip off!!

SSS

lip_ripper00
09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I was looking at picking up a smaller tank maybe a 5 or 10lb'er for the space savings but holy frick!!! They cost a lot more than a 20lb bottle!! :o

Consumer rip off!!

SSS

Hot tip, go to the local recycle and see if they have any, most people do not understand the fact they can be recertified. I have done both 5 and 10 pounders this way, I think the last one 25 dollars filled:wink:

threedhunter
09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
the 'white gas ' type is hotter than propane, doesn't freeze up @-20c and makes the best after dark light to bloodtrail with if needed.jm2cw:lol::lol: