PDA

View Full Version : ELK..Region 2 / 8.5 divide

natebavis
03-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Would anyone ever admit or care to share any stories or pics behind the Viuch / sutter creek 39 km bridge. I HIKE in for deer there not ELK. Looks like a long horse ride but very cool. Congrats to the hard working lucky ones that have, and if you don't want to share I get it!! From what I have seen the last few years with all the congestion its no secret anymore

Cheers

natebavis
03-02-2019, 11:45 PM
shot in the dark...didn't think so

Bugle M In
03-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Not a shot in the dark.
Probably on to something is all:lol:

luger
03-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Busy area and it’s really thick bush, I biked in there 2 years ago for 4 days and met 3 groups on horse back and 2 more biking like me.

Leaseman
03-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Lots of land.....

Real thick now for several kms....

Use to hold lots of bears, a grizz study was going on in there at one time

Some nice meadows in the area, some big bowls up high that holds lots of berries

You need to get up high for deer unless you are hunting very late.

If late hunting, watch the snow....can come down real fast!

MichelD
03-05-2019, 01:13 PM
I've been in there four times on foot and bicycle and have seen one black bear and one moose in those four trips. Never even saw a doe.

As Leaseman says, there are big bowls up high, that would likely be the places to hunt if you want to see any deer.

And there always are people driving into the "No vehicle" zone who say things like "Oh, is that still on? It was such an old looking sign."

Like I said though, if you're road hunting you ain't gonna see much.

luger
03-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Make sure that you don’t trespassing into manning park land. Cascade recreation area used to be open to hunting but as far as I know it’s now integrated into Manning pack and as per regs only the north side ( of the highway)of 2-17 and parts of snass creek drainage is legal. It’s really confusing when I looked into it. Might want to check with a CO first. We heard of elk in paradise valley but I’m not sure if it legal anymore. I couldn’t get back that far. I think you need horses for that. That’s probably why there was so many hunting horse groups when we went.