PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using slider sights?

mastercaller
03-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Looking at buying an Axcel slider (have an Axcel 7-pin). Anyone else using one of these? What's the word on the Black Gold sites? IMO there is a couple spots on the BG sight where the fibre optic is exposed. Any issues?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!!

NorthCoastHunter
03-01-2019, 09:39 AM
I looked at a bunch of sliders before I picked my spot Hogg fast Eddie XL double pin, I can’t say much in the way of the axcel or BG but I was debating between CBE, HHA and the spot Hogg, I went with the spothogg because of the simple and tough design. The new black gold sliders look pretty slick though.

donny.brooke
03-01-2019, 10:56 AM
BG are built tough as they come. The warranty is the best there is, no matter what you do to it its covered no questions asked.

Blockcaver
03-01-2019, 11:41 AM
I have two BG sliders, an Ascent and a Whitetail. The adjustment dial sticks way out on the Ascent. They shortened the axle a bit (1/4" or so) on the Whitetail so it is better, but in discussion with BG, I found you could get an even shorter dial axle with a special order. I converted the Ascent to the shorter dial and really like the dial sitting closer to the site. It is less vulnerable and will get stuck less often in willows when you are moose and caribou hunting. The stock dial on my 3-year old Ascent had a lot of the anodizing worn away from the brush and even rocks when I sent it in this winter. It still dialed fine without issue, just will be nice to have it set closer to the site now. Good luck!

Hunter gatherer
03-01-2019, 02:37 PM
I se an HHA slider and it seems to be built very well. Price is reasonable and the pin is bright. Would recommend one.

whitlers
03-01-2019, 07:38 PM
I se an HHA slider and it seems to be built very well. Price is reasonable and the pin is bright. Would recommend one.

I second this.

mastercaller
03-01-2019, 09:04 PM
thanks for note

mastercaller
03-01-2019, 09:06 PM
great info thank you

mastercaller
03-01-2019, 09:06 PM
I have two BG sliders, an Ascent and a Whitetail. The adjustment dial sticks way out on the Ascent. They shortened the axle a bit (1/4" or so) on the Whitetail so it is better, but in discussion with BG, I found you could get an even shorter dial axle with a special order. I converted the Ascent to the shorter dial and really like the dial sitting closer to the site. It is less vulnerable and will get stuck less often in willows when you are moose and caribou hunting. The stock dial on my 3-year old Ascent had a lot of the anodizing worn away from the brush and even rocks when I sent it in this winter. It still dialed fine without issue, just will be nice to have it set closer to the site now. Good luck!
great info thanks!!

jamfarm
03-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Looking at buying an Axcel slider (have an Axcel 7-pin). Anyone else using one of these? What's the word on the Black Gold sites? IMO there is a couple spots on the BG sight where the fibre optic is exposed. Any issues?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!!

I’d like to know which route you go. I have an HHA slider and after a yardage screw up this fall I’m considering going to an Axcel rheostat 5 pin.

mastercaller
03-02-2019, 07:57 AM
I’d like to know which route you go. I have an HHA slider and after a yardage screw up this fall I’m considering going to an Axcel rheostat 5 pin.
Absolutely. Thanks for taking the time to write. Month out...waiting on bonus hahahaha

whitlers
03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Its usually a toss up. Some guys prefer a cleaner sight picture with the downside of having to dial range. While others prefer a crowded sight picture with the upside being quick ranges. I personally shoot a single pin much better. Keep it on 30 yards and I can hold over/under slightly for 20/40 yards.

ThinAir
03-02-2019, 01:08 PM
A slider sight is a game changer in my opinion.
I’m running a BG with 4 pins. 19thou top pins and an 11thou bottom pin which I find perfect for the sliding long ranges. The ability to shoot 4 pins fixed( for me 20,30,40,50 yards) for quick reference etc and then slide to extended ranges with my bottom pin is now a must have.

mastercaller
03-02-2019, 01:45 PM
A slider sight is a game changer in my opinion.
I’m running a BG with 4 pins. 19thou top pins and an 11thou bottom pin which I find perfect for the sliding long ranges. The ability to shoot 4 pins fixed( for me 20,30,40,50 yards) for quick reference etc and then slide to extended ranges with my bottom pin is now a must have.
Perfect thanks for the info. Appreciate it

Smoothy
05-20-2019, 08:03 AM

I second this.

I 3rd these gentlemen, I have an HHA KP5519xl sight on my new bow (Bowtech SR6) and absolutely love it! Very well made, extremely bright pin that can be dimmed via the sliding or rotating "rheostat" shroud as they call it. I may end up getting another one for my Carbon Overdrive bow and ditch the Apex Gear covert pro sight that is on it now

mastercaller
07-23-2019, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the feedback folks...truly appreciate it.

went with the 3 pin axel...really easy to set, tune and dial. Thought the adjustable brightness dial was kind of wonky but really like it now. Easy to turn up or turn down pin brightness

Thanks again for the replies!!

Andrewh
08-02-2019, 09:03 AM
Fast Eddie 5 pin, will be the only sight I ever have on my bow.

The BG sliders aren't as strong as you think, seen them bend at a 3D shoot with a relatively mellow slip/fall.

center color
11-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Thread might be dead but I will chime in, I've only ever used single pin PSE Sliders, my shots are always 25ish cause I'm on my own farm so I keep my pin around there. I will say that I now must have a light on all my sights, love it! maybe its cause I've got older eyes, but what ever sight you get make sure it can take a light.

JPederson
08-03-2020, 09:17 PM
I picked up a CBE Engage Hybrid sight. I still haven't sighted it in due to covid messing up my visits to the range, but it's a really nice sight. I bought the 5 pin version but it seemed too "busy" inside the housing so I removed 2 pins.