PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer

donny.brooke
02-24-2019, 06:42 AM
Anybody used one of these in the field. Any good or bad feedback on them. Thinking of ordering one.

Salix
02-24-2019, 07:09 AM
I used one last fall. Took a little bit to get used to it. For hiking I found it very comfortable to carry the rifle, a lot better than the shoulder strap I had on the gun before, with a pack on I found that a shoulder strap was a pain dealing with the gun strap and the packs strap over the shoulder.
I would recommend it. I got mine through Omar at Precision Optics in Quesnel.

Rackmastr
02-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Used a Gunbearer on my Kifaru for several years. I love it. I used the universal model on a previous pack for a year and it functioned just as well.

Blockcaver
02-24-2019, 08:11 AM
The Gunbearer works very well to carry a compound bow with the bow quiver as well as a rifle. You can still use hiking poles with the Gunbearer in use as well.

donny.brooke
02-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Just ordered it, using it with my bow also will be nice

SR80
02-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Yep its a great way to carry your rifle. Used the same one on all sorts of different packs

RackStar
02-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Looking forward to adding this to my MR pack for this season

swampthing
02-24-2019, 09:21 AM
I have run one on both kuiu and exo packs with good results. They seem awkward at first but you quickly get used to it.

Wentrot
02-24-2019, 09:33 AM
I’ve got a universal gun bearer on my mystery ranch, love it. Took a bit for me to have full trust in it but the rifle stays solid until needed. My hunting partner recently got sitkas version that came out and it also seems to work, plus you can get it from nechako!

https://shop.nechakooutdoors.ca/product.php?productid=4305&cat=&page=1

albravo2
02-24-2019, 09:51 AM
I have the Butler Creek ammo holder on the stock of most of my rifles and I find pointy bullets tend to get hung up in the Gunbearer.

I also find it point-loads the front of my hip belt on that side and my hip got a sore spot one hunt.

All that said, it is my favourite means of carrying a rifle with a pack.

REMINGTON JIM
02-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Just ordered it, using it with my bow also will be nice

There KOOL ! Where did you order yours from ? Direct ? RJ

brn2ryd
02-24-2019, 10:01 AM
A gun bearer is on my list for this season.
Anyone else want one? If there is enough interest from HBC, I'll contact them and see if we can organize a group buy.

mod7rem
02-24-2019, 10:28 AM
I’ve been using a gunbearer since 2006 and love them. I have two, but they aren’t the universal ones. I still use the first one I got in 2006 when I bought a used Kifaru LH Guide pack. I haven’t used that pack since 2009 but I’ve modified my packs, including day packs, to use it. Last year I bought a second one so I wouldn’t have to switch it between packs.
I also make a modification to the gunbearer that makes it even better to use for me. I’ve shown others how to do it and also done it for others.
It gives you some more control over how the rifle rides.

Atlas12
02-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Got two of them in last week. It's going to be a game changer for hunting in the bush. I love that it keeps the scope protected under your arm. If you want it completely out of your way for hiking, just move the top strap to your backpack and you're good to go.

sako79
02-24-2019, 01:01 PM
I just bought the universal gun bearer from Kifaru so far I like it

leadpillproductions
02-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Ill take one

A gun bearer is on my list for this season.
Anyone else want one? If there is enough interest from HBC, I'll contact them and see if we can organize a group buy.

hparrott
02-24-2019, 01:12 PM
I just ordered the universal a few days ago. I have the regular gun bearer on another pack. Had to order the universal because my new MR pack had no molle. Hoping it works as well as the non-universal one.

Blockcaver
02-24-2019, 01:37 PM
I have the Butler Creek ammo holder on the stock of most of my rifles and I find pointy bullets tend to get hung up in the Gunbearer.

I also find it point-loads the front of my hip belt on that side and my hip got a sore spot one hunt.

All that said, it is my favourite means of carrying a rifle with a pack.

Bravo, Move the butt stock holder back as far as you can to the side of the pack belt. With the bow, and a bit carrying a rifle coyote hunting in the Gunbearer, I find that if the rifle/bow is tilted ahead at 60* with the butt stock angled behind you (instead of vertical) carries much better. However a heavy rifle is likely to still load you up to cause a hot spot....but a 5-1/2 # bow or lightweight .223 (<6#s) never has bothered me carried on the side.

donny.brooke
02-24-2019, 02:01 PM
I ordered mine direct from Kifaru RJ

chinooker
02-24-2019, 02:48 PM
They are a comfortable way to carry your gun for sure. I personally found that I spent a lot of time looking down the muzzle of my partners rifle though as he always walks behind me and also has one. Every time he bent down a bit to go under a branch or whatever the gun was pointed at me.

Lukeez88
02-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Picked up a the universal gun bearer last season and used on MR marshall pack. Overall I like it a lot, I think it’s the way to go. My favourite thing about it is the ability to use hiking poles and still have my rifle easily accessible. That helps me feel more at ease while hiking in grizz country. I love not having to deal with a sling constantly slipping off my shoulder.
Cons: it puts a little more stress on the hip. And you have to get used to having your gun barrel always being in your vision.
Pros far outweigh the cons IMO. I would recommend it to anyone.

whitlers
02-24-2019, 03:44 PM
I went the Stone Glacier gun sling route. It's a very similar design and is $12.00 cheaper! I have slightly modified it to fit my Kuiu Icon Pro. I can use the same sling in forward carry or have the rifle behind my shoulder while still allowing a quick release. First time using it last season and I would never go back. Hands free, easy glassing without having to set your rifle down, no sling popping off your shoulder. Best addition to my system cant believe it took me so long to get on board.

DoubleDeuce
02-24-2019, 04:29 PM
This is my first time seeing these,they look awesome!I have always found by the time you have a bono harness and a backpack a rifle slung in your shoulder just doesn’t have space and everything bunches,this looks like a smart solution.....gunna have to give them a go.

pin_head
02-24-2019, 07:05 PM
For what it’s worth I recently got the new Sitka version the pyrite sling and it is awesome.

Brad

decker9
02-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Iv used one for a few years. On long days, it sure adds a drag to the shoulder, it’s a pain reaching that shoulder strap adjustment. I adjust my shoulder straps often throughout the day, but most times ignore the gun bearer side due to the awkwardness, and later in the day my shoulder pays for it.

That being said, it is the fastest method of having my rifle ready next to packing it in my hands, so I continue to use it.

whitlers
02-24-2019, 10:25 PM
Iv used one for a few years. On long days, it sure adds a drag to the shoulder, it’s a pain reaching that shoulder strap adjustment. I adjust my shoulder straps often throughout the day, but most times ignore the gun bearer side due to the awkwardness, and later in the day my shoulder pays for it.

That being said, it is the fastest method of having my rifle ready next to packing it in my hands, so I continue to use it.

That's why I prefer the SG sling. On long treks I have it in rear carry behind my shoulder and once I'm into a good area I'll bring it into front carry.

g2mike
02-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Do you have any pics? Is there anything you have to do to change carry position?

JLsteel
02-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Gun bearer works great. The one made for the kifaru packs are a bit better. The universal one, the only issue I have is the strap that velcro's to the pack's shoulder strap slips sometimes if I don't do up the sternum strap. Does anyone have this issue?

ryanb
02-24-2019, 11:38 PM
I use one built for Kifaru packs. I do find it convenient and not too awkward. Unlike some other people here I find it really beats the shit out of my rifle. The grey paint on my Kimber is pretty worn where it touches the sling, the satin finish on the barrel is worn where the barrel strap attaches, and it eats Neoprene scope covers like no ones business. My scope would be worn down to bare metal without the scope covers. Maybe I just hike more hardcore????

I also have been smacked in the head and face by the barrel more times than I can count.

Definitely not worth it, vs strapping it to your pack, unless you meet Mr. Grizz on the trail...then you'll probably feel different.

whitlers
02-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Do you have any pics? Is there anything you have to do to change carry position?

Just have to move the strap off the shoulder and onto the frame where I added a strap loop. Takes seconds. I can email you pics if you PM me.

whitlers
02-25-2019, 08:37 AM
I use one built for Kifaru packs. I do find it convenient and not too awkward. Unlike some other people here I find it really beats the shit out of my rifle. The grey paint on my Kimber is pretty worn where it touches the sling, the satin finish on the barrel is worn where the barrel strap attaches, and it eats Neoprene scope covers like no ones business. My scope would be worn down to bare metal without the scope covers. Maybe I just hike more hardcore????

I also have been smacked in the head and face by the barrel more times than I can count.

Definitely not worth it, vs strapping it to your pack, unless you meet Mr. Grizz on the trail...then you'll probably feel different.

This is true. My rifle and scope does have some wear from hiking in forward carry. I was able to adjust enough so the scope wasn't an issue but I can see what you mean.

Have yet to be smacked in the face by the barrel. Doesn't sound fun!

Again this is why I prefer the SG sling so the rifle can be in rear carry but still very fast to draw.

decker9
02-25-2019, 08:38 AM

Theres not many ways to change the adjustment, I think it’s just the added pull on that shoulder strap. On my DT1, I can put my barrel through my pack side pocket strap and use the bearer still, that way is comfortable, but it isn’t as fast when I draw my rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/8eQ8K0p.jpg

decker9
02-25-2019, 08:40 AM

The face smack, always nice when you got two full hands of earth as you try swinging your body over to a good foothold spot lol. It makes ya mad like someone else hits you, Iv felt it also.

mod7rem
02-25-2019, 10:34 AM

I get the same wear on my stock and shiny spot on the barrel. I didn’t like the smack to the forehead. Also didn’t like having the barrel right in front of my face and my headlamp blinding me, when I was carrying a very heavy loaded pack. So, the second year I used it (2007) I did a small modification. I sewed an adjustable strap to the back of the buttstock harness. The top of the strap attaches at the bottom pack connection of the shoulder strap. The length of the strap can be adjusted by just reaching down at any time and pulling the strap tighter or releasing the adjustment buckle a little. Adjusting the strap changes the position of the barrel. Works awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/JaNn9cX

tayleoscar
02-25-2019, 10:52 AM
I'm looking forward to getting mine, can't wait to get it on my pack to try it out

ajr5406
02-25-2019, 11:10 AM
I bought one last season. Takes a while to get it set up in a way that is comfortable and doesnt pull your pack around too much. I used it for hunts with a lot of hiking and for that purpose it works well. For shorter jaunts where you drive and hike around and then drive again, I dont think its worth it though. But then again, its about having the right equipment for the right situations, so for mountain hunting, its great.

I really like the way it allows me to use trekking poles, by keeping the hands free.

Asco
02-25-2019, 11:14 AM
I love it. I made my own, With a modification everyone can do. Add a little quick release on a strap behind your carry shoulder so you can clip the barrel up behind your shoulder while you’re hiking and then carry it in front of your shoulder when you’re hunting. Otherwise great piece of gear

Sitkaspruce
02-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Since I hunt 100% in Grizzly country, I rarely carry my gun on my shoulder; however I have been looking for a carrier for the late season deer hunts, especially when pulling a sled out.

It's very pricey, but has anyone used the MR Quickdraw? Looking for something more for carrying the gun over the shoulder and holding it there and no so much for quick access.

Cheers

SS

backstrap
02-25-2019, 08:38 PM
I have one on my MR, it carries my rifle great and it’s quick and easy to get your gun up/out. Also if it’s set right it turns your barrel into a great rest for a quick look through your binos. But....I did have the strap catch on some brush or whatever it was climbing through a slide and my gun fell off and hit the ground pretty hard. It was fine and it’s only happened once but it’s definitely something to watch for.

Overall, I like it and it’s a good product.

whitlers
02-25-2019, 08:52 PM
Since I hunt 100% in Grizzly country, I rarely carry my gun on my shoulder; however I have been looking for a carrier for the late season deer hunts, especially when pulling a sled out.

It's very pricey, but has anyone used the MR Quickdraw? Looking for something more for carrying the gun over the shoulder and holding it there and no so much for quick access.

Cheers

SS

Looks like it would pop off your shoulder while hiking any sort of tough terrain. Also seems it would get in the way of a bino harness? Never tried it just some observations .

donny.brooke
02-26-2019, 05:05 AM
I had the MR Quickdraw rifle sling and it holds your gun on your shoulder ok but does move a bit once and a while. The bottom hook is difficult to get your gun into and out of also. I wouldnt call it a quickdraw more like a moderate draw lol.

Squamch
02-28-2019, 08:27 AM
I have one on my daypack and my big pack. I like it, but....smashing my face with a shotgun barrel sucked. Riding along on my motorcycle and pulled up to cross a ditch. Busted my eyebrow open and bruised my nose pretty well. I probably won't make that mistake again.
I also find that rifles want to hang scope down in it...I don't love that.

lwing
03-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Played with the adjustments on mine, hardly know it's there, hike all day don't notice it, never been hit by it, rifle only has 20" barrel and 5.5 lbs scoped though,

russm86
03-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Anyone tried the new frankenstud? Basically just an aluminum "stud" that bolts through the shoulder pad on your pack and prevents the rifle sling from slipping off etc.

338 winmag
03-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Anyone tried the new frankenstud? Basically just an aluminum "stud" that bolts through the shoulder pad on your pack and prevents the rifle sling from slipping off etc.

Ive got them on 3 of my packs, I use just a basic quick adjustable rifle sling with it(butler creek mountain sling).
I used a cheap leather hole punch and put the stud up near my collar bone, best system I've used so far, ditched all my kifaru gun bearers.

donny.brooke
03-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Mine just showed up and will try it out today

g2mike
03-07-2019, 03:56 PM
I actually 3D printed my own shoulder strap 'hook' Ran it all year and it worked perfect. I tucked the butt of the rifle behind the hip belt pouch on my pack, and the rifle stayed in place pretty solid even during fairly aggressive hiking. It was quick enough to hunt with too.

https://i.imgur.com/R7ryipi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xCNlx0f.jpg

sako79
03-07-2019, 04:47 PM
I actually 3D printed my own shoulder strap 'hook' Ran it all year and it worked perfect. I tucked the butt of the rifle behind the hip belt pouch on my pack, and the rifle stayed in place pretty solid even during fairly aggressive hiking. It was quick enough to hunt with too.

There you go you should start selling those how much

Squamch
03-11-2019, 07:20 AM
There you go you should start selling those how much

I agree. I'd buy a handful of em.

the_longwalker
03-11-2019, 02:07 PM
I would be up for a few of them as well.

jlirot
03-11-2019, 02:18 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077C3XSF3/?coliid=ISG6CH0OXPZZX&colid=146VHOKANBZE2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Beaver Skin
03-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Seriously good idea on the sling keeper...I'd buy a couple too.

whitlers
03-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Good idea. However I'm curious if the rifle is going to want to still move and bounce back and fourth without a solid attachment point on the stock. Similar to the MR setup.

I haven't used either just curious?

WhiteTailAB
08-25-2019, 08:26 PM

Bump. Do you have that file on thingiverse or are you able to share it? Wouldn't mind printing a few off my printer.

g2mike
08-26-2019, 08:53 PM
I'll see what I can dig up. To answer an old question no it's not locked on your shoulder rock solid. Don't think of it as an alternative to a gun bearer, think of it as just something that keeps the sling on your shoulder while wearing a pack

WhiteTailAB
08-27-2019, 10:32 AM
I'll see what I can dig up. To answer an old question no it's not locked on your shoulder rock solid. Don't think of it as an alternative to a gun bearer, think of it as just something that keeps the sling on your shoulder while wearing a pack

Basically what I am looking for, not sure I wanna punch a hole through my pack for the aluminum stud