PDA

View Full Version : Queen Charlottes High Country Black-Tails?

backcountry98
02-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Has anyone ever done a backpack trip into the remote high country of Graham Island or Moresby Island?

After working on the north coast of Graham Island the past three summers I have been intrigued into doing an early September Black-tail hunt, preferably in a place that's hard to get to and up high.

Any info is appreciated.

Skeena Shooter
02-20-2019, 05:39 PM
I've been thinking the same thing since I worked there back in January. Would be a fun hunt.

REMINGTON JIM
02-20-2019, 06:01 PM
I'm too Old and Fat but I would have liked that when I was younger - There is some real rugged Terrain on those Islands ! Some Nice TUFF Elk Hunting area too ! RJ

Iltasyuko
02-20-2019, 07:34 PM
Have done the regular low elevation thing there. Your idea sounds great!

IslandWanderer
02-20-2019, 07:41 PM
I'm headed back there next November. Planning to do an easier hunt again with my son, and a more challenging hunt on my own.

Piperdown
02-21-2019, 07:31 AM
I'm headed back there next November. Planning to do an easier hunt again with my son, and a more challenging hunt on my own.

You going to be shooting some fishy bears too

Treed
02-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Bears are pretty much closed down. I was flying there this year and saw some dandy bucks up in the alpine. Impossible to get to though. A lot of the roads are grown in or just gone, so access to the back valleys is limited in a lot of areas. You need to get above 850-900 m to hit the alpine. Good luck!!

sako79
02-21-2019, 08:50 AM

There's no bears there

AllDay
02-21-2019, 09:54 AM
Lots of bears there. Seen bears and deer feeding on the same beach within 40 metres of each other multiple times. Lots of deer too. Was thinking about doing the same hunt as you but my buddy can't make it anymore. Beautiful country, but it gets wet real fast and real often!

IslandWanderer
02-21-2019, 10:34 AM

You jealous?

JoeSixPack
02-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Some of the guys who work for Sitka Gear did this hunt last year. There was pictures online. They were successful.

Piperdown
02-22-2019, 05:14 PM
You jealous?

Of what?????

ForealBoreal
02-22-2019, 11:00 PM

backcountry98
02-22-2019, 11:28 PM
Steven Drake and I believe Connor Gabbott did a high alpine Haida Gwaii Hunt. Journal of mountain hunting had a podcast on it and Steven did a YouTube video of take aways from the trip.
totally do able. Just have to put some sweat equity into it. Coastal jungle of fun.

Thanks man appreciate it, searched the web and found the podcast I will be listening to it tonight.

REMINGTON JIM
02-22-2019, 11:33 PM
I Cannot BELIEVE the STUPID Black Bear LEH in the QCIslands ! another POPULOUS BullSh*t deal just like the G bear Ban ! jmo RJ

Sorry for the Derail ! :shock:

eatram
02-23-2019, 06:11 AM
I was there the last year of it being open for general open season. There were only a couple of posters around in queen charlottes city, stating an end to the bear hunt. Something about it being spiritual etc. the very next yearly went to leh with 1 or 2 rags handed out only. Weird weird weird. Tones and tones of bears there on that trip. Too many in my opinion. We reduced the numbers by a bit.

REMINGTON JIM
02-23-2019, 12:03 PM
They could have a 50 + Bear LEH's Easily there ! Hippies and FN's ! Leaf Lickers - Flower Sniffers ! and POLITICIANS got it all FU*KED up ! :evil: RJ

Caribou_lou
02-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Some of the guys who work for Sitka Gear did this hunt last year. There was pictures online. They were successful.

Watches the same video I believe. They were flown into a remote part of the west coast of the island. Hiked to alpine and hunted Bucks with bows in hand. I think they took a couple. Saw many deer and looked like weather cooperated. Saw lots of bears too. Was a good watch. I tried to find it again but couldnt

David Heitsman
02-25-2019, 03:13 PM
The Charlottes is the only place in BC that I have ever hunted and felt unwelcome. One of our group was actually singled out for wearing camo and told he wasn't wanted there by the lady shuttle driver that took us from the airport into town. As to the hunting... five of us in two groups, all experienced international hunters, shot exactly 0 deer in 5 days. Saw one little buck at the ferry terminal parking lot and one spike near top of one mountain. That was it.

We walked for miles on old grown in roads, carefully walked along beaches and road hunted the north and south islands in what was basically a week of typhoons. None of us had ever seen rain coming in horizontally in sheets before.

I did get the drop on a solid black bear and then noted right at point of shot that there were cubs present. Too bad as that was the last year of open black bear season in The Charlottes.

Ended up going to Alaska's Admiralty Island out of Juneau with some of the same group to get our Sitkas. I would like to go back as it's not normally like that.

Treed
02-25-2019, 03:47 PM
I wouldn’t rule out hunting the bogs too. Hike into Naikoon park or take a quad down the beach towards rose spit (have to stay out of the ecological reserve). I saw some nice 4 point bucks last fall. Some of the bogs are like huthe African Savanah - really cool looking with visibility for hundreds of metres and easy to walk through.

joshbazz
02-25-2019, 05:54 PM
Just watched it, a little hard to find as it's part of his gear guide video, titled: Steven Drake's Backcountry Gear Guide
Video link: https://youtu.be/p4skDU3hWyo?t=562

Looks amazing!

backcountry98
02-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the idea, that will most likely be something I do at the end of the trip.