PDA

View Full Version : wolf bounty 1650$

drakfero
02-17-2019, 02:03 AM
Hey guys , check this out..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wolf-incentive-program-northwest-territories-1.5016540?fbclid=IwAR3Cyok4L5CqFmXjWskQYchOSqBhen1 jbs9sJ1vtftCU-YRsH0lCNYOBEs4

MattB
02-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Thats a good plan. The caribou decline being that high is sure scary though! Good on their government for acting quickly with a plan!

Beachcomber
02-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Doubling the bounty for locals is a real sign of just how big the problem is. It will be interesting to follow results and see if the approach is adopted elsewhere

Rieber
02-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Good. It will be interesting to see how much the other game populations recover.

Equally curious what negative results might occur. Time will tell.

At least there is a government driven wolf reduction with some immediate economic upside. At first glance I give this a thumbs up.

barongan
02-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Pretty interesting postinghttp://juragan.club/assets/1/o.png

BrookTrout
02-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Working up north of FSJ and the bounty on wolves is $1000, almost need to take a lay-off and hunt wolves for the winter haha seen probably half dozen wolves with lots of sign, too bad we’re not aloud to carry guns and shoot on the right of way

twoSevenO
02-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Is there a way to prove wolves only came from the area that is under the incentive?

Not really related but reminds me of people in india taking advantage of their own incentive .... They tried to reduce the number of cobras and offered rewards for cobra heads. So people started breeding them. Then when the incentive ended, they just released what they had resulting in an even bigger problem than when it all began!

Drillbit
02-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Is there a way to prove wolves only came from the area that is under the incentive?

Not really related but reminds me of people in india taking advantage of their own incentive .... They tried to reduce the number of cobras and offered rewards for cobra heads. So people started breeding them. Then when the incentive ended, they just released what they had resulting in an even bigger problem than when it all began!

That's always a problem.
In Sask they gave us $25 for a set of coyote paws one year. 2006 I think. We pushed a bush for deer and 22 coyotes came out that year.
Guys from AB and MB were cashing in too and put an end to it.

It did make a big difference tho, coyote numbers have been lower ever since in our area.

That's a good start and can't hurt

weatherby_man
02-21-2019, 10:47 AM
There are some areas in BC that could use a similar program for sure. It would entice a lot of people to get out and mow down a few wolves.

drakfero
02-23-2019, 07:18 PM
There should be some challenge for trappers amd for hunters on getting predators

REMINGTON JIM
02-23-2019, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=twoSevenO;2074309]Is there a way to prove wolves only came from the area that is under the incentive?..

You think there will be a Problem ? RJ

Boner
02-23-2019, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=twoSevenO;2074309]Is there a way to prove wolves only came from the area that is under the incentive?..

You think there will be a Problem ? RJ

I could see people putting on their thinking caps on how to increase their number of kills for more bounty money. Maybe buying carcasses off of their neighbors outside of the zone and fudging kill locations. Maybe not.

That being said, I applaud the money incentive to knock down the wolf population. Way better solution than what’s been done here...

drakfero
02-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Anyone cashing?

john-brennan
02-03-2020, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2074854]

I could see people putting on their thinking caps on how to increase their number of kills for more bounty money. Maybe buying carcasses off of their neighbors outside of the zone and fudging kill locations. Maybe not.

That being said, I applaud the money incentive to knock down the wolf population. Way better solution than what’s been done here...

Ya the money is great but why does the government wait so long should have been done soon as they saw a problem. years ago the decline started to happen and the biologist told them.

bankshot
02-04-2020, 12:26 AM

Hunters must check into patrol stations before hunting in the wolf management area. This ensures they are not bringing in wolves from outside, said Croft.

The stations are located along the winter road at Gordon Lake and Wekweeti.

Baconator
02-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Good on them. Elected government coming up with a good solution to a problem. What a novel concept.

Bigdoggdon
02-04-2020, 01:15 PM
I've always thought that they need to institute this kind of solution here. Make the bounty high enough that the guys that are good at it can make a decent living at it. Take a look at the cost of the helicopter kill program and factor out how much it costs per wolf and look at that as what the bounty should be. I would guess that it's at least $1000 an animal to hunt by chopper.

ryanonthevedder
02-04-2020, 07:55 PM

Lol. Those Indians.