PDA

View Full Version : Cougars in 3-30

dmaxtech
02-14-2019, 11:12 PM
Heading up to 3-30 for Family Day weekend with my boys. Would it be worthwhile to grab a cougar tag? Anyone have any tips? Thanks

Weatherby Fan
02-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Heading up to 3-30 for Family Day weekend with my boys. Would it be worthwhile to grab a cougar tag? Anyone have any tips? Thanks

Anywhere on Bonaparte Plateau that isn’t Burnt that may hold deer

REMINGTON JIM
02-14-2019, 11:27 PM
Where to up there DMAX ? RJ

browningboy
02-14-2019, 11:49 PM
There’s cats where the deer are, like WF stated however better odds in finding Yotes or wolves

Steelpulse
02-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Its always worth getting a cat tag

Liveforthehunt
02-15-2019, 12:00 AM
Lots of cats around worth while you never know . I'm assuming no dogs ?

dmaxtech
02-15-2019, 12:21 AM
Heading to in-laws cabin at Loon. No dogs. Have a sled there to get out past the ranch. Definitely going to try for wolves and yotes.

sames14
02-15-2019, 02:20 AM
I have heard that since the fires or due to the fires that there has been more cougars sitings than in the past. Shoot as many wolves as you can, lots of tracks spotted last year in November in the area you are talking about.

drakfero
02-15-2019, 08:13 PM
We have seen wolf tracks on the east side of that region , good luck!!

quadrakid
02-15-2019, 10:27 PM
I have lived on the coast for thirty years,tons of cougars around. i have yet to see one,in thirty years.Think coyotes and wolves.

hparrott
02-16-2019, 12:38 PM
First time I ever saw a cougar in 3-30 was this past last spring when looking for bears. It was winding in and out of trees tailing a deer. Didn't take long to lose sight of it. Lots of wolves now and coyotes as others have mentioned

Darksith
02-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Anywhere on Bonaparte Plateau that isn’t Burnt that may hold deer

FALSE! The mule deer migrage off of the plateau to wintering grounds...

As for the OP question, if you want to buy a tag do it, but you have a slim to no chance of seeing a cougar without a dog team. You also have slim to no chance of winning the lotto or being hit by lightning, but it does happen

tipper
02-16-2019, 05:20 PM

As for the OP question, if you want to buy a tag do it, but you have a slim to no chance of seeing a cougar without a dog team. You also have slim to no chance of winning the lotto or being hit by lightning, but it does happen

Can't argue with Darksith he knows what he's talking about.

walks with deer
02-17-2019, 01:03 AM
lol i agree with darksith...
except i see many cougars.

Bugle M In
02-17-2019, 01:11 AM
lol i agree with darksith...
except i see many cougars.

In 3-30?...or closer to Kammy in 3-29?
In the area of 3-30 where I go, and it's been years now, I might have onlt come across 1 cougar track.
Mind you, that's in the November/Dec months but in the winter range.
And not all of 3-30.
Just my experience.
But have heard more of them in 3-29.
Just my experiences to date.

browningboy
02-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Ever since the fires the deer aren’t as thick by Loon, they are still around but not even close to pre fire numbers, as for cougars there’s lots of cats up there, a cabin owner near the community hall always has cats on his game camera, he uses it for security more than anything. The way the deer hang out up there has changed as the fire pushed them out then the next year there’s crazy amounts of food in the burns, even barely any in the farmers fields.

Weatherby Fan
02-17-2019, 08:57 AM

I think we must be talking about different plateau's, your thinking of the one off Bonaparte Lake ?

Mosin
02-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Has anyone here ever tried to call a cougar in with a distress call? Think it would work?

REMINGTON JIM
02-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Has anyone here ever tried to call a cougar in with a distress call? Think it would work?

YES and YES ! RJ

Bugle M In
02-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Ever since the fires the deer aren’t as thick by Loon, they are still around but not even close to pre fire numbers, as for cougars there’s lots of cats up there, a cabin owner near the community hall always has cats on his game camera, he uses it for security more than anything. The way the deer hang out up there has changed as the fire pushed them out then the next year there’s crazy amounts of food in the burns, even barely any in the farmers fields.

I haven't been up there for years in that part of 3-30, so that should be some good info for OP.
As for deer, for the last 20 years there has been a gradual decline up on the main plateau.
Biggest change that is apparent is all that logging.
But I agree, was up there this past season and was surprised how little deer sign there was.
But, there was basically no snow around (which way back in the day, would have had atleast 2 ft by then), so
I wondered if lack of sign was due to deer not being pushed down?

I have wolves/coyotes, but rarely see any cat tracks, whether cougar or bobcat.
Sounds like more up by loon or just above kammy lake.

stinkyduck
02-18-2019, 09:11 PM
The farm just below Red lake used to be full of deer, now only a small handful. The farmer has hammered a few wolves around there. says they have wiped out the deer.

dmaxtech
02-18-2019, 09:30 PM
Well, didn’t see anything while we were out there. All tracks had 2-3 day old snow in them. Saw some interesting tracks that looked like otter tracks along the edge of the lake. Was like 3 pairs of prints and then a long snow slide and them more prints again. Looked like 3 traveling together. They were going under docks and through bushes. Was pretty cool. Going back up for spring break so hopefully can try again.

REMINGTON JIM
02-18-2019, 10:48 PM
They were Otters for Sure from what you describe ! RJ

Treed
02-18-2019, 10:52 PM
Good luck shooting a cougar without a dog. I’ve only seen one cougar in my life and it was treed. I’ve been followed by them and chirped at in the dark, and I’ve work in the bush my entire adult life, got to admit it’s only two or three months a year now vs ten when I was younger. I’ve eaten a few hams but only as by catch on my friends trapline/ marinated in apricots mmmmm!. You’d need horseshoes to shoot one on the off chance.

walks with deer
02-19-2019, 06:17 PM
look for ravens than walk in at ready..
you can tree them without dogs just need to be in good shape.

Dour
02-19-2019, 08:56 PM
I seen lots of sassy cougars in the pub in Clinton They are easy to get Bait them with Canadian pints