PDA

View Full Version : First time huntin'

rishu_pepper
09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, I went on my first ever hunting trip yesterday, up to Spuzzum for grouse. We saw a handful but only had a clear shot on one, and my buddy (who is usually a sure shot) messed up and couldn't even blow a hole in that bird... :roll:

We went up at first light, thinking that they would be around, but we didn't really see any until late-afternoon (3-4pm onwards), and those we saw were "waiting for the bus" in the middle of the road; they usually managed to flutter away before we even raised our barrels.

Nevertheless, it was a great experience and I'm definitely hooked. We're planning to go again next week for some revenge on those grouses :biggrin: Gotta bring some food back on the table! We are debating whether to go back to Spuzzum or to try another place next time. Does anyone have suggestions on a good place for these birds? We would be forever grateful :D

PS. Plinking is great fun with the .22 when there's nothing to do. Here's my friend's .22 rig, enjoying the nature of Spuzzum FSR.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC01788.jpg

Derek_Erickson
09-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Sounds fun, next time you see them, they wont stick around so long!

LeverActionJunkie
09-16-2007, 03:05 PM
NIce 10/22! Don't get discouraged theres lots of grouse out there this time of year they seem to hide from the heat most of the day.

rishu_pepper
09-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Last week our failure at Spuzzum only fueled our fire more, and we went out to Ludbom Lake yesterday to hunt with CTC, a forum member who was kind enough to share his expertise (and his hunting puppies). At the end of the day, the three of us (CTC, my bud, and me) each got one grouse (all within 50 yards).
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC01801.jpg

This turned to that after I got home:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC01812.jpg

Hmm-mm, that's good eatin'! :razz:

CTC tried for ducks with his shotgun and was agonizingly close with a couple shots, but it wasn't to be.

Cheers to CTC's help, and also thanks to those who have given advice/encouragement for this newbie hunter. Before this summer, I had never even picked up a gun and now a few months later, I harvested my first game and ate it for good measure! I can't say enough about the hunting community, you guys are the best! :D

Will
09-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Before this summer, I had never even picked up a gun and now a few months later, I harvested my first game and ate it for good measure! I can't say enough about the hunting community, you guys are the best! :grin:
That's Great !
Congrats :cool:

Untouchable
09-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Congratulations on the first taste of your own harvesting, that grouse in the oven sure does look tasty!

mapguy
09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
grouse in a mushroom sauce is really good marinate it for a day the bake it in the oven and all you need is a can of mushroom soup and a bird

kishman
09-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Looks good, congrats on a fruitful trip.

rishu_pepper
09-25-2007, 09:28 PM
grouse in a mushroom sauce is really good marinate it for a day the bake it in the oven and all you need is a can of mushroom soup and a bird

Sounds delish! I'm a sucker for mushroom soup base :biggrin:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Now that my gear is finally all here, deer trip shouldn't be far off.

Wildman
09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
quite the 22 for bird hunting!