PDA

View Full Version : packs

spatsizi
09-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Any thoughts on a good pack? Used for day trips and pack in hunts.

Derek_Erickson
09-16-2007, 02:11 PM
the best versatile pack you can get is this one in my opinion

http://www.eberlestock.com/J104%20Just%20One.htm

great packs from week long mountain trips to day long hikes :razz:

Phoenixmc
09-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm in the same situation, I haven't bought anything yet cause I can't find the right one. I was looking for something along the lines of a big wrap-around fanny pack with shoulder straps, kind of along the lines of the military web gear? Any suggestions besides big back packs that are overkill on day trips?

bighornbob
09-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I just got a J107 by Eberlestock and just love the pack. When using it for a day pack you just compress it down with the straps. It stays quite compact and close to your body. The gun carrying system also rocks. The problem with day packs is they cant bring out much meat if you get an animal down. The J107 expands where you could easily bring out a deboned deer.

I used the same pack for a 10 day dall sheep hunt and it carried my gear just fine.

I am sure there are better packs if you are just looking for a day pack or a large fanny pack type of pack but try packing out a deer with them.

BHB

BCLongshot
09-16-2007, 06:24 PM
U know I'm pretty impressed with the TIMBERHAWK line check it out

huntcoop
09-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I have the Eberlestock J104 and it absolutely incredicle. Glen Eberle makes an awesome line of products,

www.eberlestock.com (http://www.eberlestock.com)

lefty338-06
09-17-2007, 07:40 AM
I have a Cabelas Guide Model Fanny Pack , it very comfortable to wear uesd it on 10 day elk hunts from base camp not big enough to pack out game , horse`s for that but a great day pack hold every thing you need and they are now in Canada . I do like the look fo the J104 for a bigger pack
Lefty 338-06

newhunterette
09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
this is what we use

http://thewildernesswanderer.com/

Tanya
09-17-2007, 08:08 AM
I agree on the Wilderness Wander pack. It comes in so many variables, and small for us women and short people that find regular external frame packs too big. I also have Cabelas bow/rifle day pack that I've been using for a number of years and love it.

Blacks Creek www.blacks-creek.com/ (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/www.blacks-creek.com) has developed a pack similar to the Wilderness Wanderer in it's frame style and can be purchased through them or Jim Shockey's website in the shopping section www.jimshockey.com (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/www.jimshockey.com)

todbartell
09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Badlands make some nice gear, in all sorts of sizes and setups from fanny packs to full out overnight packs

I have the 2800 and love it, but will pick up a smaller day pack before next fall, something like the SuperDay

http://www.badlandspacks.com/

Huntinfool
09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Just a curiousity question does anyone know anybody that has carried a deboned animal or anything heavy with one of those "just one" packs made by eberlestock?
I thought it looked a little awkward having the weight so far a way from your body. I opted for the GS05 as they seem to be a well made product with some useful features.

BlacktailStalker
09-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah I bought the J104. The are sweet. I'll have a whole blacktail in one shortly. Thats why I bought it. Get the whole kit and caboodly package, its worth it.

RMG
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Does any one know of a supplier for the Eberlestock products here in BC?? The Eberlestock site indicates that Wholesale Sports carries their product, however I cant fine it in the catalogue, nor in the online catalogue, and have never had good dealings with them on the phone or through email. As well there is a tactical supply shop in Calgary that carries the Eberlestock products but only the tactical line. Thanks

Marc
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Can you pull the rifle out with the pack on your back or do you have to remove the pack first?

Yeah I bought the J104. The are sweet. I'll have a whole blacktail in one shortly. Thats why I bought it. Get the whole kit and caboodly package, its worth it.

RMG
09-17-2007, 05:48 PM
You are able to remove your rifle from the pack while it is still on your back. However for those with short arms or long guns, this might be a little difficult.

Derek_Erickson
09-17-2007, 06:18 PM
yeah Marc real easy to remove, wholesale here in kamloops has nothin to do with them order direct from the site, takes about 10 days

Jagermeister
09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Do it once.........do it right.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/hunting_loads.php

FullDraw
09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I have a Crooked Horn pack, I like it. www.crookedhorn.com (http://www.crookedhorn.com)

F/D

brian
09-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I have one of the Eberlestock tactical packs to get my guns up to the range by bike. I love it. I can actually fit two rifles in it. Very well made. I can adjust the straps easily to get the weight anywhere on my back and hips I need. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something else made by Eberlestock. I plan on using it when I go hunting.

bighornbob
09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Marc

You can easily pull a rifle out of the pack. I tried this when the pack was fully loaded for my 10 day dall sheep hunt. Gun came out no problem. I am only 5'7 and I would not say my arms are long by any means.

I phoned wholesale in Calgary and they only had a few of the daypacks when I called. I phoned Eberlestock directly and left a message. Glen Eberle (the guy who invented the pack) called me back. He answered all my questions and even persuaded me not to buy a part of the pack (back panel for those of you who know the pack) as it would not be nessessary with buying the Spike camp duffel (which I wanted).

I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

BHB

BlacktailStalker
09-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Order from Glen @ Eberlestock. It'll be here in a week. He ships the day you order.
The rifle comes out while still wearing your pack. Easily.
I agree, the back panel is useless and did not order it.
IT's inevitable a guy is going to have more than one pack for hunting so just go for it :)

Marc
09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I took the plunge and just got off the phone with Glen and got the whole kit and caboodly package.

Had a great chat with Glen, he was glad to hear that people up in BC were pleased with his product. I told him to check out the site so you may see him on here in the near future.

Phoenixmc
09-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Ok with all this talk of Eberlestock packs I've been reading the website and I think you've converted me. I really like how you can have it packed in nice and small for the day but also expand it out to carry everything for a hike in trip. I figured I might as well go all out and get one of the Just One packs! Which pack is everyone buying, and liking better?

Marc
09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
This is the package I just ordered 10 minutes ago.

http://eberlestock.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/J104KC2.jpg

http://eberlestock.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/J104HW.jpg

bighornbob
09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Phoenix

The pack is kind of like a moose bag if your familiar with that (a large compartment with 2 long pockets on each side). In the compressed mode the two side pockets zip together eliminating the whole back. Two side straps cinch it together as does the strap that goes from the top to bottom. Even when the side pockets are zipped together you can still jam a extra jacket into the main compartment and the two long pockets are still useable. In this mode it is sweet to carry a spotter and tripod. You dont have to detach either, the legs of the tripod fir between the side pockets and the spotter rests on top. The side straps hold the legs in place and the top holds the spotter. When you are ready to glass, undue the straps and the spotter is ready to go.

When you undue the main zipper to expand the main compartment, the back panel is a heavy duty mesh to let meat cool. The back panel (orange thing in Marc's pics) can be zipped in to cover the mesh. In this way it is just like a moose bag. The Spike camp duffel (2nd from right in Marc's pic) zips over this mesh and is the size of a small tote bag, for extra room if needed. On my dall hunt, I carried all my food and my rain gear in the Spike camp duffel. When in the compressed mode the spike camp duffel is shoved into a pocket if needed. It compresses down to about the size of a medium zip lock bag.

There are two Just Ones. One is the J104 and the other is the new J107. The 107 is a stiffer pack for carrying heavier weights. The top compartment can also come off and be carried as a fanny pack. The new Super Spike Camp Duffel (I think for all models) can be used separtely as a small duffel bag and comes with a shoulder strap.

I ordered the J107 and the Super Spike Camp Duffel and it came close to 400 bills. I did not order the rain cover or the hydration system. My platypus bottles easily fit into the hydration pockets. It came to my door in about 2 weeks but that is becuase customs held it for a week. I have heard others getting theirs in less then a week when customs is on their game. I had to pay duty and taxes but lets just say that was more then reasonable:razz::razz:

I will post some pics when I get home, becuase I know some of the pics on the website do not do it justice.

BHB

Huntinfool
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I was in Calgary WSS last week they just got in an order of 4 different models of the eberlestock packs.

Marc
09-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Just got off the phone with Glen to get my tracking number and my pack cleared customes on the 20th. Wow that's awesome two days. Hoping it's hear before I leave on the 28th for two weeks.

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Don't hold your breath, Marc. They shipped mine on the 7th and the pack has been in customs since the 11th, still nothing for me. I was hoping I could have it before tomorrow's grouse trip but I'd be lucky to get it next week. (Gunslinger model, btw)

BlacktailStalker
09-21-2007, 06:47 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/ElkHunt2007056.jpg

J104 in use, optimizing the rifle scabbard as a bugle tube holder during bow season :)

huntcoop
09-21-2007, 08:01 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/ElkHunt2007056.jpg

J104 in use, optimizing the rifle scabbard as a bugle tube holder during bow season :)

I noticed some "attachments" that you have on the pack, is that an Eberlestock little pouch? Is it attached to the waiststrap? Also on the back, is that another pouch attached? And your rangefinder case, what is it straped to.....

Marc
09-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Did you pay the extra $10 for express or the standard shipping?

I noticed some "attachments" that you have on the pack, is that an Eberlestock little pouch? Is it attached to the waiststrap? Also on the back, is that another pouch attached? And your rangefinder case, what is it straped to.....

BlacktailStalker
09-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes the one on the waist belt is an eberlestock pouch. The black one is the Sony DSC-H7 and the range finder has a strap weaved through the belt loop.
I never paid for express shipping but it went out the same day and made it to customs in 3 days I think.. They played with it for a while. Buggers.

rishu_pepper
09-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes the one on the waist belt is an eberlestock pouch. The black one is the Sony DSC-H7 and the range finder has a strap weaved through the belt loop.
I never paid for express shipping but it went out the same day and made it to customs in 3 days I think.. They played with it for a while. Buggers.

Exactly how long did the "buggers" play with it? :biggrin: I'd like to know so I can estimate when my pack will arrive at the door.

bighornbob
09-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Customs held my pack for 10 days. before it was released.

BHB

BlacktailStalker
09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd say about a week. I recieved it 3 days before I left for my hunt. I was panicking.

Marc
09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
BHB where are the teaser picks?

bighornbob
09-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Sorry Marc forgot to post them. Here they are.

Here is the pack laying down with the spotter and tripod in the compressed mode. The side straps hold the trippod legs and the top flap/pouch protects the spotter while the bottom starp/shelf holds the bottom of the legs. This is how I carry it when going for day hikes or scouting for sheep. The pop can is used for scale.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_0023.jpg

This is with the back zipper undone so the pack opens up to a large compartment. I have stuffed pillows in so you can see how big it gets. Thats a pillow on the left.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_003.jpg

This is the Spike Camp Duffel when its compressed and in its carrying case. I throw this into a pocket until needed.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_0041.jpg

Spike camp duffel attached to the pack. It zips in to zipper that is used to compress the main compartment. I loaded it with pillows just to show you the size. The side straps and top and bottom straps (not used in photo)are used to cinch the pack together so it would not stick out this far while hiking. During my trip I, all my heavy gear was in the main compartment and i carried dehydrated food and rain gear in the duffel.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_0051.jpg

BHB

rishu_pepper
09-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Great pics BHB. Makes me want to see my pack arrive even more; those guys down at customs have been playing around with it since the 11th...

Marc
09-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Hmm, I went with the olive drab spike camp bag, wish I had gone with the camo one now, oh well the only time it will be out in the open is when I've got an animal down and have to move it out of the main bag.

Where do you put your sleeping bag and bed mat?

Alpine85
09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
BHB, good job on explaining the pack. I have searched for awhile for pictures explaining how it works, pretty slick unit.

BlacktailStalker
09-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Marc you could put your bag etc between the straps that arent done up yet. I also picked up a few extra cinch straps to lash items to the bottom of the bag underneath everything.

bighornbob
09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Marc

I placed my tent and sleeping bag in the main compartment. My sleeping pad was strapped to the back of the bag. I leave the pad a bit loose so when you walking through trees and brush it gives way. I used to cinch them tight against the bag but found when a branch got pushed aside from your body or pack it would usually catch on the pad again. By leaving it a bit loose (so it can move side to side), the branches just push it out tof the way.

BHB

BCrams
09-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I think that pack would be dandy for 1, 2, 3 or 4 nite trips. Beyond that - I'd rather be packing a Barney !

09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
All the chatter has me thinking hard of one these units. I have a proven big pack for extended trips, but the problem l find with the day pack l have is that it can carry my gear but no room for anything else. The idea of a collapsible compartment available on demand is appealing, as well as the other well thought out ideas it incorporates.......

Marc
09-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I just checked the site last night and they are presently out of stock and will fill the orders on a first come first serve basis. I was talking to Glen the other night and he's only got a small crew making them and didn't expect it to grow so fast. Cant' wait to get my pack.

troutseeker
09-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I Rreceived mine today. Like you Marc I got the whole Enchilada. Very nice pack and I can't wait to break it in!

Mine was in customs on the 8th so you should all get yours soon!

Troutseeker

Marc
09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Just got a mail notice this afternoon. Says I owe $27.50 or something. Ordered it on the 18th received it on the 24th, wow 6 days with the extra $10 in shipping.

Marc
09-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Picked up the pack tonight, man it's light. I'm to tired to play with it tonight so I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

rishu_pepper
09-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I should have sprung for the extra $10 for the express shipping... I'm picking up mine tomorrow, it's been a loooong 3 weeks (and 2 day trips without a decent pack)...

calvin L
09-25-2007, 05:50 AM
If anyone is looking for a take down pack board try the ports pack from secret creek supplies (Trail BC home made) It has worked very well for me and a ton of friends . Dutchy has just finished packing a 4 th elk off the mtn in 14 days . He said it has been the most comfortable pack and the easist(sp) to use compaired to all the other one he's tried . and it is a take down .check it out at secretcreeksupplies.com (I don't know how to post a link .me a d/a

calvin L

ps I know steep and deep uses one also .

rishu_pepper
09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Finally got my Gunslinger after 3 weeks. Just not in time for my birthday on the weekend haha.

Well worth the wait though, it is far more comfortable than the pack I borrowed from a friend last year. The back scabbard feature figures to be used nicely, maybe save myself the effort to buy a sling.

Will post pics later, still playing with it

bighornbob
09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
maybe save myself the effort to buy a sling.

Buy a sling. They are cheap and they are like an extra hand. Trust me you will regret not buying one, even if the pack carries your gun.

On my J107 I can slide my rifle with a 2 inch neoprene Butler creek sling with 4 shells on it into the scabbard, so there is no excuse not to get one.

BHB

calvin L
09-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Big Horn Bob . That 's great now your rifle is in your pack and your pack is the the truck beside you:wink: . I can't wait until the bottom of the pack is blown off :tongue:Is the opening large enough to see through the scope . LOL

I hope to hunt again soon . Note the camera is @ your tree .

Calvin L

rishu_pepper
09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Buy a sling. They are cheap and they are like an extra hand. Trust me you will regret not buying one, even if the pack carries your gun.

On my J107 I can slide my rifle with a 2 inch neoprene Butler creek sling with 4 shells on it into the scabbard, so there is no excuse not to get one.

BHB

I was only referring to my newly pimped .22, it sports a Raptor stock which has no sling swivels. It is a beautiful piece of work and I don't want to drill holes all over it, even by a gunsmith (costs money too).

My Savage, on the other hand, may be equipped with a sling. I was thinking the Uncle Mike's would be serviceable.

bighornbob
09-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Big Horn Bob . That 's great now your rifle is in your pack and your pack is the the truck beside you:wink: . I can't wait until the bottom of the pack is blown off :tongue:Is the opening large enough to see through the scope . LOL. I hope to hunt again soon . Note the camera is @ your tree . Calvin L

Maybe if I cut a hole in the bottom I may be able to shoot through it? If an elk shows up at the tree, guess where I will be sitting Thanks giving weekend.

BHB

kutenay
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I have posted this before, but, will do so again. I am a serious backpacker, started hiking in '56 and o-nighting in '64 and have owned/used MANY packs as well as sold/fitted packs, etc. to make my living. I have seen/used most of what's been available since the lightweight backpacking sport began.

At present, the finest packs I know of are made by Dana Gleason in Bozeman, Mt. at his "Mystery Ranch" facility; I have four of these and one of his original "Bomb" packs, now 30 years old. The ONLY other pack maker in his league is Dan McHale of Seattle and he is straight custom.

These packs are NOT cheap or sold by Cabela's, etc., they ARE the BEST now available and worth every cent of their cost. One of my buddie's, a mining exploration person, recently brought his Eberlestock to my home to get my opinion, it is a nice pack, but, in materials, design and workmanship, it is not even close to MR.

I do not care what anyone buys, but, for those who will pony up the $$$$ for the best and profit in the field by doing so, I suggest going to www.mysteryranch.com (http://www.mysteryranch.com) and checking out the NICE frames, Crewcabs and various bags, I have both regular NICE frame, OK NICE Frame and a 6500 bag, Crewcab and Loadhauler and this is a superb complete outfit for a backpacking hunter...check it out and their customer service is superb.