PDA

View Full Version : which Kuiu jacket to buy?

albravo2
02-12-2019, 11:29 AM
After many years of using old hiking/mountaineering gear I've slowly started accumulating some Kuiu. I bought their down jacket a couple years ago and this Christmas my wife got me some Yukon rain gear.

Last week I saw a deal on some Tiburon pants so now I need a jacket but I can't decide between the Rubicon, Axis, Peloton or Guide. Too many choices.

Anybody have any strong favourites?

donny.brooke
02-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Guide jacket would be my first jacket to get from your list. I have owned them all.

Pemby_mess
02-12-2019, 12:14 PM
I don't own any Kuiu, but the Guide DCS is also what I would get if I had to have only one of their products. Uber versatile.

Stresd
02-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Love my Guide Jacket!!

bighornbob
02-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Also love my guide jacket. The peloton is more like a polar fleece type. Im looking to buy one for when there is no precip. forecast or to go under the guide jacket.

FYI their stuff fits small so buy a size bigger or two sizes bigger if you want to throw stuff underneath. My Guide jacket is a XXL and I find it perfect to stick a down coat underneath and or my binos.

BHB

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Also love my guide jacket. The peloton is more like a polar fleece type. Im looking to buy one for when there is no precip. forecast or to go under the guide jacket.

FYI their stuff fits small so buy a size bigger or two sizes bigger if you want to throw stuff underneath. My Guide jacket is a XXL and I find it perfect to stick a down coat underneath and or my binos.

BHB

I agree BHB about the sizing, for example I wear a XXL Coat in Sitka Gear and can zip it up with room to spare, I can't even Zip up a KUIU XXL

On another note I bought some Talus Hybrid Pants and they are amazing for late season pants, I usually wear 38-40 in jeans so I ordered a 42" pants and couldn't do them up so I improvised.......now Im dreaming of losing some weight !!!!

swampthing
02-12-2019, 06:50 PM
The guide is a great coat. I just bought the new axis and it one ups the guide with better wind proofing and the strategically placed waterproof panels

khoffnbud
02-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Another vote for the guide jacket from me. Love mine.

RackStar
02-13-2019, 07:13 PM
The guide is a great coat. I just bought the new axis and it one ups the guide with better wind proofing and the strategically placed waterproof panels

Is this jacket quiet? I told myself no more kuiu.. ever.. but I really like that jacket.

donny.brooke
02-13-2019, 07:14 PM
My buddy bought the superdown vest and he cant believe how warm it is for being so lite and compact.

g2mike
02-13-2019, 08:46 PM
Peloton 240 isnt a 'jacket' and its confusing that they call it one. Its a zip up fleece. I wouldn't buy it as my only jacket as that isn't its purpose, but I absolutely love it as a midlayer. Its also cut perfect for an athletic build unlike some of the others in the Peloton line which are cut like they're made for a pregnant woman.

Morethanonebridge
04-09-2019, 03:39 AM
I was looking at the axis hybrid vs the guide as well and was leaning towards the axis for the water proofing. Anyone else have any suggestions?

For sizing I wear an xl normally so was going to get a XXL? I'm 6' 230

36 pant was thinking of a 38 or a 40?

Thanks for any help ��

Blockcaver
04-09-2019, 07:16 AM
KUIU Attack pants fit just like blue jeans for sizing so I match them. Guide jackets must be sized up and I never kept
the one I ordered years ago. Not a fan.

I really like the Peloton 240 full zip hoody. I wore mine all spring bear hunting, all fall on a sheep trip and two caribou trips plus the entire 18 days I hunted Coues deer in AZ. Often it was the top layer and in the cold it was layered under another jacket. I wore it bird hunting for about two weeks in December following the Vizsla. Then it was my cross country ski jacket for about a month during the February cold snap. I wear my normal size in the Peloton but it is a snug fit....just what I want for bowhunting.

albravo2
04-09-2019, 08:15 AM
I'm going to hit enter on a size up Guide Jacket. I don't feel the need to spend Kuiu money on a mid layer.

I have to say though, I've been wearing my Yukon rain coat as a top layer for the last little while and it is, by far, the most comfortable rain jacket I've ever owned. You wouldn't know it is a rain coat. I hope the Guide Jacket is as good.

huntfish
04-10-2019, 07:21 AM
I have the super down Jacket, best insulating September Jacket in the back country, when things get colder I have the sitka down jacket,

Talltimber1
04-10-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm going to hit enter on a size up Guide Jacket. I don't feel the need to spend Kuiu money on a mid layer.

I have to say though, I've been wearing my Yukon rain coat as a top layer for the last little while and it is, by far, the most comfortable rain jacket I've ever owned. You wouldn't know it is a rain coat. I hope the Guide Jacket is as good.

My Yukon gear should get here Friday. My next jacket would be the Guide, like you have decided.
Their 8 year anniversary sale just ended this weeekend.
Got my Yukon gear for a couple hundred bucks cheaper.