PDA

View Full Version : Processing

Arctic Lake
02-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Any of you fellas starting out with skinning and processing animals this can be applied to wild animals as well, may help you out . Notice how he pulls on the hide , how he steels his knife, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7KhVG5Di0
Arctic Lake

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Hmmmm I get the feeling that guy has done that once or twice before :-) Thanks for sharing!

wideopenthrottle
02-08-2019, 04:03 PM
man did he ever make that look easy.....I have done at least 40 deer and he still moves too fast for me to pick up any real tips...heheheheh.....everything he did was very skill/practice based....incredible skill...thx for that one

02-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Wow pretty good for his 1st time eh.....
Lol. Good too see someone so good at his profession.

longwalk
02-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Couple of guys called the Bearded Butcher on the internet. Very good info for the beginner. I have done more deer than I care to remember but I still click on their videos to pick up new tips. They work with minimal tools also, usually just a boning knife. Just like most home butchers wood do in the garage or kitchen.

Norwestalta
02-08-2019, 05:00 PM
He’s very good at what he does. Thanks for posting

Arctic Lake
02-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Couple of guys called the Bearded Butcher on the internet. Very good info for the beginner. I have done more deer than I care to remember but I still click on their videos to pick up new tips. They work with minimal tools also, usually just a boning knife. Just like most home butchers wood do in the garage or kitchen.

Thanks for the tip ! I will look them up .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
02-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Yea he knows what he is doing ! Mobile slaughtering . I knew a few fellas that were faster, all had knarled up fingers from grabbing hides all day long . Automation has taken over in big plants . I think I saw a fella on here that had a rig that he put in his hitch receiver that you could lift an animal off the ground with. probably not a moose but a deer for sure.
Arctic Lake

tuner
02-08-2019, 07:11 PM
This dude is pretty quick as well.

https://youtu.be/cTPMUAn-ZCE

cdub
02-08-2019, 07:24 PM
My wife did a coon with our air compressor

Arctic Lake
02-09-2019, 06:08 PM
My wife did a coon with our air compressor

Never done it but I hear you can do domestic sheep that way .
Arctic Lake

moosinaround
02-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Very nice knife work for sure! Not sure I like the cleaver for splitting it in half, but still a very good slaughter man!! The trailer with the lifts makes managing a large carcass pretty easy. Nice to have wash down water too! That looked like a nice beef carcass, very yellow fat, gonna be nice marbling! Moosin

bcsteve
02-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Is he using a knife or a light saber!?!

willyqbc
02-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Pretty impressive for sure! Gotta think theres some kind of special grind on those knives to move that fast with those long strokes on the hide without ever nicking the meat, or accidentally slicing a hole in the hide. Would be very interested to see how his skinner is profiled/ground

bc7mm
02-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Wow, now that’s fast

Arctic Lake
02-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Pretty impressive for sure! Gotta think theres some kind of special grind on those knives to move that fast with those long strokes on the hide without ever nicking the meat, or accidentally slicing a hole in the hide. Would be very interested to see how his skinner is profiled/ground

Most fellas keep a 15 degree . They use smooth cut butcher steels on slaughter floors just to align the edge when it starts to turn over .They use air knives now along with mechanical hide pullers in the larger plants .Will post a link today of that process . I just thought showing the process would help new fellas out on how to skin game .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
02-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Here is an air knife in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXc9S9A3Go
Arctic Lake

elknut
02-10-2019, 12:45 PM
I think he showed me how to steel a knife ..Very light smooth strokes ..Great skinning ..Also rebuffs the opinions of never to use water on meat !....Dennis

Arctic Lake
09-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Thought I would post this up again so any of you fellas that have not dressed out a moose may be able to get some ideas on how to go about it. I realize this is a beef carcass and conditions are different when in the field dressing out an animal but you may be able to pick up a few tips
Arctic Lake

lakelander
09-27-2019, 10:20 AM
He is so gentle when he sharpens his knife, almost in slow motion. Then switches to normal speed with the carcass...very cool.

Quiet Hunter
09-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Damn that was quick. I got some practicing to do lol