PDA

View Full Version : I want to hunt Seal too

Ohwildwon
02-07-2019, 09:25 PM
What are the arguments towards, putting hunting Pinniped's, in the hunting Reg's?

I realize the FN are leading the charge (in the media).

Fair enough, so be it..

Remember, it's all for one, one for all?

Thoughts?..

two-feet
02-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Im all in. Where do we sign up? Seals look delicious

02-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Id love to be involved.
Ive fished the BC Saltchuck Coastlines north to south on too many places to list every year for almost 60 years and many of those places year round.

We used to point and say hey cool look a seal. No Longer they are a HUGE PIECE that have decimated our Salmon Runs. Some 50 plus years ago, they were managed mostly by Commercial fisherman and FN alike.
Then DFO in another one of their magnificent decisions and makes it Illegal to shoot seals.
Salmon populations north to south use to abound. Incredible Runs of all varieties.....We Always witnessed our Local Orcas we all called Blackfish......and in comparable numbers they are today. No they are not going extinct.

fast forward to today.

Seals and Sea Lions everywhere.
Healthy Tranisient Killer Whale populations...they eat seals. They are having Zero affect on the present Seal population Boom. They cant eat enough.
SRKWhale pops apparently declining......they eat Salmon .
2+2 = 4.......again Seals eat Salmon. Sea Lions Eat Salmon.

The Fraser mouth and coastline rivers .April through June is Loaded with these dump bears of the sea. They're feasting upon theFry and Smolts of our various runs headed out to the first taste of their life at Sea. The Seals and Lions are destroying our products of Salmon brood stock.......estimates claim up to 80 percent of these smolts are being cobbled up before even getting there.

The summer and fall Runs of all our returning Salmon on route to spawn show up agin to the bottleneck of our rivers mouths reaching out to the coastlines . Into the gauntlet of Seals.in the bottlenecks..... Destroying yet more and more of our runs.

For those saying the harvest is wrong need to get off their politically correct backsides and witness it first hand.
The over abundance of these creatures has EXPLODED.

YOU BET ITS TIME FOR A CULL, A HUNT, A HARVEST.

YES Id love to be one of the Hunters.

greasysidedown
02-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Everyone on this forum needs to join Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, facebook group.

RyoTHC
02-08-2019, 08:26 AM
I'd love to hunt seal. The hide and fat are invaluable for a self sufficient lifestyle !!! We wait, that's probably why you can't harvest them.

albravo2
02-08-2019, 10:13 AM
I have no problem with a cull but I bet they taste about as delicious as old rutting caribou.

Fella
02-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Mmmm mercury poisoning

02-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Mmmm mercury poisoning

No actually. 30 Samples have already been tested and all is safe for human consumption.

But.....like the Grizzly Hunt.....decisions will likely be made to please the granolla munching mis informed hypocrites.

You want to save our Salmon Runs and SRKWhales...... Cull the Lions and Seals to sustainable levels for all our BC coastal marine life.

Were in the Worst Shape we can be with the Libs federally and the NDGreens provincially.

Continue to manage to ZERO........

Fella
02-08-2019, 10:49 AM
No actually. 30 Samples have already been tested and all is safe for human consumption.

But.....like the Grizzly Hunt.....decisions will likely be made to please the granolla munching mis informed hypocrites.

You want to save our Salmon Runs and SRKWhales...... Cull the Lions and Seals to sustainable levels for all our BC coastal marine life.

Were in the Worst Shape we can be with the Libs federally and the NDGreens provincially.

Continue to manage to ZERO........

Agreed. Cull the seals.

wideopenthrottle
02-08-2019, 12:06 PM
my only concern is with blood trailing a wounded seal...someone needs to start training sharks for blood trailing them....:roll:

Arctic Lake
02-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Anyone on here ever eat seal ! I smelled an open can of it once did not care for the smell so did not eat it .I would like to learn how to process one .
Arctic Lake

Caribou_lou
02-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Tried some Sea Lion a few years back. Wasnt too bad. Looked alot like Bear meat.

It had been eating Oolican for 2 weeks also. Which changes the taste

Arctic Lake
02-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Tried some Sea Lion a few years back. Wasnt too bad. Looked alot like Bear meat.

It had been eating Oolican for 2 weeks also. Which changes the taste

Really ! Hmmm. Like I mentioned would like to learn how to process them. I can keep a pretty sharp knife while working .
Arctic Lake

IronNoggin
02-08-2019, 01:54 PM
What are the arguments towards, putting hunting Pinniped's, in the hunting Reg's?

I realize the FN are leading the charge (in the media).

As a Director on the Board of the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, I would suggest that FN's are not the only ones involved.
In fact, some of this country's leading Scientists have our back, as do the vast majority of FN's, commercial fishers, and more.
Sadly lacking are the recreational fishing sector (you can thank the SFI for that) and the hunting community.

As far as non-FN's hunting them...
We reached out to both the BCWF, and the GOABC and more in this regard.
Maybe it was due to the messenger, but we were ROYALLY snubbed by these entities.
We may (accent now on "may") reconsider another approach down the road.

Everyone on this forum needs to join Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, facebook group.

Those that can, should. Want to make a difference? Like in all other matters dealing with the "management" of wild resources, the decisions are directed by those who show up.

Anyone on here ever eat seal !

Yep. It was a staple item when living in the Arctic.
Actually pretty damn good, once you know how to deal with it.

Our meetings with DFO yesterday went about as I figured they would. In fact a little more amicable than I thought they would be.
Some progress was made identifying a few areas that require a little more refining on both sides of the equation.
Those have now been identified, and steps are being taken by both parties to address them in a timely manner...

Onward & Upwards...
Nog

brn2ryd
02-09-2019, 12:41 AM
IronNoggin, thank you for your enrolment with important issues and for being a positive representative of the hunting community.
I wonder why BCWF and GOABC were silent? I see it as another indication that we are lacking proper representation.
I've never had seal but would love to try it.

greasysidedown
02-09-2019, 01:05 AM
Nog

Thanks for the info.

There is no difference to the pinniped problem & the land predator problem.

We all need to get onboard before it's too late.

Ohwildwon
02-09-2019, 01:19 AM
As a Director on the Board of the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, I would suggest that FN's are not the only ones involved.
In fact, some of this country's leading Scientists have our back, as do the vast majority of FN's, commercial fishers, and more.
Sadly lacking are the recreational fishing sector (you can thank the SFI for that) and the hunting community.

As far as non-FN's hunting them...
We reached out to both the BCWF, and the GOABC and more in this regard.
Maybe it was due to the messenger, but we were ROYALLY snubbed by these entities.
We may (accent now on "may") reconsider another approach down the road.

Those that can, should. Want to make a difference? Like in all other matters dealing with the "management" of wild resources, the decisions are directed by those who show up.

Yep. It was a staple item when living in the Arctic.
Actually pretty damn good, once you know how to deal with it.

Our meetings with DFO yesterday went about as I figured they would. In fact a little more amicable than I thought they would be.
Some progress was made identifying a few areas that require a little more refining on both sides of the equation.
Those have now been identified, and steps are being taken by both parties to address them in a timely manner...

Onward & Upwards...
Nog

Wow, thx for all you make time for, and do, much appreciated!

This is my goal as well and you are an inspiration on this site no doubt...

Steeleco
02-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Everyone on this forum needs to join Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, facebook group. Just did! Thx GSD!

Piperdown
02-09-2019, 08:11 AM
IronNog for Prime Minister :)

two-feet
02-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Eating seal meat would certainly take some getting used to, pretty sure it would not taste like moose! But that is not to say that a guy could not develope a taste cor it, I certainly would approach it with an open mind. The good folk of Newfoundland love them, especially prized is the blood for making puddings. Sign me up!

tigrr
02-09-2019, 09:14 AM
I hope Pacific Balance Pinniped Society get a web page soon. I don't do FB. I'd buy a membership to this one.

jdmck
02-09-2019, 02:18 PM
tried bottled seal flipper one time years ago rich and oily think I will stick to canned moose

greasysidedown
02-10-2019, 12:08 AM
Tigrr You can't be any older than the director's of PBPS. If they can do facebook anyone can. lol

RackStar
02-10-2019, 01:24 AM
Tigrr You can't be any older than the director's of PBPS. If they can do facebook anyone can. lol
Facebook is for the weak.

greasysidedown
02-10-2019, 01:40 PM
"Facebook is for the weak" says the dinosaur.

walks with deer
02-10-2019, 02:35 PM
rackstars not a dinsosaur..

oh no he might even be dare i say it a hard working millenial??? wow wow so am i.

now back to thining seals good thing theres some crusty old *******s pushing this forward it long over due. and many thanks.

its actually just a much needed baby step we still need to tackle stream protection and restoration...farming of salmon and farming practices... over harvest and really look at what mining-pulp-loggong-city storm and sewer discharge...and envasive fish at fry rearing points.