PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Parka recommendations

Blktail
09-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Can anybody recommend a good parka for hunting.? Must be waterproof, quiet and have a removeable hood. I don't mind layering, so it doesn't need to be too warm. There are too may choices in Cabelas and I am afraid to order something I haven't tried on.
Where is a good place to buy in BC? Victoria? Vancouver?

Thanks

308Lover
09-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Just bought a light-weight jacket on sale at Wal-Mart. They also had camo parkas on sale. They looked great to me--waterproof, hood etc.

Derek_Erickson
09-15-2007, 10:45 PM
are they noisy though?

308Lover
09-15-2007, 10:47 PM
The camo wear is all smooth--not noisy.

Derek_Erickson
09-15-2007, 10:47 PM
type of fabric?

Derek_Erickson
09-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the halfass hi-jack, no resolution to your parka problem :???:

gearjunkierob
09-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I've got a cheap Wal-Mart Parka and guess what...you get what you pay for. It's noisy as can be (especially in the cold) and has a really bulky cut that seems to grab all the branches around you. I'm definately not an expert in hunting specific outerwear, but I was impressed with the quality construction and design of the Rivers West brand of camo parkas. They are quiet, cut well and have some great design features. The fabric is durable and the jackets come with a great warranty. Don't know who would sell them on Van Isl, but I think that one of the distributors/wholesalers for most of the Fraser Valley hunting stores carries River's West stuff. The other nice thing is that River's West clothing is made in Seattle so it's not too ridiculous to plan a road trip out that way to check out all of thier models of outerwear. Check out the website: http://www.riverswest.com/hifi.html

I own the Trail Pant as well as the Snake River jacket. A little warm for early season hunts, but they sure will be nice in the Alpine in Late Oct/Nov.

gearjunkierob
09-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah - I got my River's West at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle. I had to order the items in, and the guys at Dart and Tackle had never seen the stuff before. They took a look at the gear and decided to start stocking it in the store (well, that's what they told me anyways). I'm sure they could order pretty much any River's West product in for you if you want. Snake River Jacket was $169, Trail Pants were $169. Very reasonable when you compare the quality and price to some of the other higher end more expensive gear out there (Browning, etc). I don't know what it would cost you to buy the stuff directly from the manufacturer in Seattle but with our dollar being what it is right now it might justify a road trip!

7mmag
09-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Deaken equipment sells very good columbia\mossy oaks camo parkas.

They are not cheap but they're great hunting jackets quiet, waterproof, and very warm. they also have a zip in liner so you actualy get three jackets in one.

ruger#1
09-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Check out dickiees they have camo vanish. i bought some and they are very nice. you can check them out at. Camowest or at www.dickiesb2b.com (http://www.dickiesb2b.com)

ruger#1
09-16-2007, 09:33 AM
or this one http://www.camowest.com/index1.htm

dougan
09-16-2007, 09:58 AM
i use a browning gore tex parka it is quite thin very comfotable when its cold i just run a stany underneith i love it!!!!!!!!!!!

ryanb
09-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Rivers west stuff is nice if you're in a stand, but don't bother with it if you're hiking or walking, or really doing anything active, because it doesn't breathe at all.