PDA

View Full Version : Bushpilot's 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Considering that things are a little slow around here this time of the year, except for the armchair warriors arguing over the littlest things. I am going to post a write up of my first goat hunt this year for others to enjoy. May need the help of some other members in posting pictures as I have trouble getting the sizing on this site. Anyways here we go.

Relocating to B.C from Alberta in 2015, I have always wanted to pursue backpack style hunts for sheep and goats since I was a youth. Sitting the first fall on the sidelines while my residency requirements were completed, I was chomping at the bit. The next fall I had to opportunity to harvest a few animals but I learned a lot of lessons about hunting in the mountains, whether it be tactics or gear. In 2017 I was presented with a unique opportunity....

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 02:28 PM
“So I founda way in…. But you are not going to like it.” Levi’s voice echoed through thephone. We had met at a 3D shoot in the spring of 2017, and once I found out hehad drawn a LEH permit for mountain goat I had offered to help with the hunt. However,a hot dry summer had produced a record wildfire season, backcountry closuresand restricted access to his unit left us with only one access route. This resulted in a “quick” trip that had us hiking a grueling 43km in 36 hours, only to yield one grouse and being pushed out of the high-country by a blizzard,without even the opportunity to hunt our intended quarry. So was my first taste of mountain goat hunting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7301&stc=1

Fast forward 9 months I was sitting in a hotel room in Quebec waiting for my next mission, logging onto my account to see if drew any LEH this year; “SUCCESSFUL” stoodout in bold green letters beside my first-choice mountain goat application. Memories of the physical endeavour that took place last year made me wonder ifI had the ability to get it done, I started training immediately. The summer passed quickly with daily training, gear upgrades, hunt planning and research of the hunt to come. I was driven to give this hunt all the effort I could.

http://i.imgur.com/5iyAtpGh.jpg (https://imgur.com/5iyAtpG)

Bubbacanuck
02-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Good story so far, looking forward to the outcome of your LEH hunt

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 05:02 PM
(This is going to get a lot better if I can just figure out how to compress the photos small enough, it keeps rejecting them saying they are "too large," must be nice :lol: )

With a bellyfull of thanksgiving dinner, I made the drive to Levi’s house where we weregoing to depart for the unit of my hunt. I spent most of the night staring atthe ceiling, wondering if I had prepared myself enough for this hunt. Sincesleep was fruitless, we drove for several hours in the dark arriving at thetrailhead in good time, one final check of our gear and we were ready. Withloaded packs we set off from the trailhead on our bikes, headlamps illuminatingthe way as we peddled through the darkness.
The morning light was breaking as made the 10 km to our first glassing spot. Snow covered mountains rose up in grandeur all around us, resembling the white fangs of some beast that was about to devour its meal. We cooked breakfast while glassing the surrounding mountains for goats. “I think I see a goat, want to get out thespotting scope?” Levi called. Swapping the binos to the spotting scope on thetripod, the magnified image produced a group of nannies and kids on a cliffband several kilometers away. I feasted my eyes on the group, having only seen mountain goats a few times in the wild it was a different feeling to watch them with the intent of claiming one. Like sentinels of another world they stand on top of their fortress of stone and ice, watching the struggle of life and death of the creatures below. To live in such an inhospitable place is probably my biggest attraction to pursue these animals.

http://i.imgur.com/cKLbmRhh.jpg (https://imgur.com/cKLbmRh)

Something big splashed in the creek barely 30 yards behind us, quickly grabbing my rifle I whirled around, expecting a grizzly to come over the bank. However, a bull moose came trotting out to stare at us only a stonethrow away. Once he realized what we were he turned and took off into the willows further down the creek. Returning our optics, weturned up three different groups of goats, only one which we were certain helda billy. As we ate breakfast and discussed plans, a cow elk chirped 3 times upthe valley. Looking at each other we agreed that is sounded like another hunter, onceagain three chirps rang out this time a little closer. Soon a man clad in camoon a pedal bike came down the road and stopped to say high. We chatted awhile finding out he was the local trapper, “there are some real pisscutters up here!!” his gruff voice exclaimed he told us stories of hunting goats in this valley in theyears past. As we talked, I noticed a peculiar white spot on the mountain face closest to us, returning to the spotting scope revealed it as billy of good size. Saying goodbye to our new acquaintance we shouldered packs, mounted ourbikes and proceeded to the base of the mountain. Stashing our gear, we watched the billy bed on a cliff face along with a nanny and kid.

http://i.imgur.com/1nQfrgFh.jpg (https://imgur.com/1nQfrgF)

LBM
02-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Good story so far but pictures are to small.

BCbillies
02-05-2019, 06:57 PM
I liked the 43 kms in 36 hours from the 2017 hunt . . . reminds me of sheep hunting! What you lack in experience you make up for in other areas. Keep going . . .

mooseknuckler
02-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Great story so far!

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Just got from the gym so lets see if I can keep this going. Like I said earlier if someone else has any advice on uploading pictures I could use some. After 454minutes of trying everything from compressed file to imgur I am stumped, maybe one of the mods can help out. Anyways back to the story.

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Climbing hard and fast up the mountain, we ascended a chute to get to the same level as the goats. The terrain steepened into ice covered cliffs, forcing me to abandon my pack, climbing with both my hands and feet with my rifle slung over my back. Fractured rock covered in snow and ice made for treacherous going, handand foot holds frequently gave out to send rocks careening down the mountain. A stark reminder of what would happen us lest we slipped. Reaching a point about 150 meters from the goats but still out of sight we found ourselves overcome by the terrain, the clattering of hooves against rocks signaled they were close but still unreachable. I recall having my back pressed against the cliff, only my heels gripping bare rock wondering if the recoil of my rifle would be enough to dislodge my marginal grip, gravity pulling me into maw of jagged rocks that lay below. Defeated we retreated down the mountain glad to be out of that precarious situation, a little unsettled I commented to Levi “Man we sure are playing for keeps with these animals.”

https://i.imgur.com/lqdJfnIl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CcOZnvXl.jpg

As darkness descended and we prepared camp and glassed further up the valley, a new band of eight appeared. Although higher than the rest we had discovered, an exceptionally large billy stood out, bigger than any other we had seen thus far, assuring us of what direction to head tomorrow

https://i.imgur.com/g3a1fnol.jpg

silvertipp
02-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Great start bush pilot
keep it coming

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 10:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RslKEApl.jpg

As morning light broke the horizon our eyes were glued to the optics; relocating theanimals we had left at last light. None of the bands had moved locations so we discussed a plan of attack, as the jetboil warmed water for breakfast and to unthaw frozen water bottles. We decided to cut the distance in half by traveling up the valley to get a better idea of the terrain we would have to navigate to ascend to the goats. While we covered several kilometres before we stopped it only took a few minutes on our bikes. Stopping for a quick break andto get a better look at this band with the spotting scope, Levi called out as I fished a bar from my pack “Hey there is a lone billy that we haven’t seen before.” Putting my eye to the glass I was looking at one of the biggest bodied goats we had seen, and he was feeding in a patch of burnt timber above a cliff band, with good terrain to maneuver above him for a shot. We instantly switched gears and decide to make a play on this goat. Stashing our bikes we started the ascent up through what from afar just looked like a regular burn. However climbing into it we found that the burn was old enough to produce a 8ft fir regrowth jungle, laced with the wind felled corpses of the forest that once stood here. Our progress slowed to a near standstill as we fought our way through the thick regrowth, teetering on fallen logs like a balance beam, having our gear ripped from our packs. “How come whenever I hunt with you Levi we always end up going through the nastiest deadfall we can find,” I exclaimed as branches tore at my face. “You know Cody there is such a thing as becoming good at navigating windfall” he laughed, “especially when you have a 34” inseam like me!”

https://i.imgur.com/TaoaYh6l.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/jq06ZwPl.jpg

Finally after 3.5 hours of climbing we reached the bench above where we had last seen the billy. Stalking down through the burnt timber our eyes scanning to hopefully catch the billy bedded below. However we turned up nothing, with a cliff edge 40 yards below us and a gorge separating us from the rest of the bench, we wondering if he had sensed our presence escaped into treacherous terrain below. “Im going to that point on the cliff to see if I can spot anything further down the valley” Levi whispered.

HarryToolips
02-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Good read so far...

02-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Lovin this so far.....takes me back to terribly painful but goodtimes.

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 11:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MIhiVvel.jpg Looking across the gorge

As he dropped down, I scanned the bench above without luck, turning my binoculars to the burnt timber across the gorge to evaluate the terrain I was shocked to see a mountain goat standing among the fire blackened trees staring right at me. Crouching into a sitting position I urgently whispered to Levi “GOAT!!!”Bringing the goat back into the view of my binoculars as he stood quartering tous at less than 200 meters, his body language was that of curiosity not alarm, confident that open space of the gorge was ample protection from us. As Levi maneuvered behind me as I ran through my mental checklist of identifying the sex of a mountain goat. Wide bases, long nose, horn gland, large body I was pretty confident this was the lone billy, however even before this trip I made my mind up that I would not shoot even if I had the slightest suspicion it was a nanny. “What do you think?” I asked Levi, who has several trips and a goat of his own under his belt. “That’s a big billy man, shoot that goat!” he exclaimed, probably wondering why my rifle was still laying in my lap. Scanning the timber for other goats and finding none, I took one long last look at this magnificent animal, admiring his vigilant and bold stance. Picking up my rifleI scooted a few yards to the nearest tree, “he’s at 140” Levi whispered behind me as the reticle steadied on the billy’s shoulder, and I started the slow press of the trigger. At the shot he fell but regained his feet, staying true to their reputation of toughness several more shots rang out. A crash signalled his end, then another, and another as he started rolling to the edge cliff and then over, plummeting out of sight onto the boulders below. Levi rushed forward to the cliff edge to watch the goat fall, I followed but dared not go to the edge as the shaking from the adrenaline was more than I could control.

https://i.imgur.com/iw3MDuWl.jpg the cliff band from below

Working our way down the gorge, we discovered out prize amongst boulders and deadfall below. Running my hands along his thick white coat, admiring the beauty of this beast and the long curved black daggers that jutted from his head (which thankfully were still intact.) As we worked breaking down our trophy, I staredup in the mountains surrounding us in which these creatures inhabit. The whole experience coming together in a single moment of pure clarity, “Good job bud, now you have a nice trophy, for the wall,” Levi congratulated me as he deboneda quarter. “The size of the trophy lies in the size of the endeavour,” I replied.

https://i.imgur.com/nu7BZHcl.jpg

bushpilot
02-05-2019, 11:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/BkV54djl.jpg

Now with loaded packs and only a couple hours before dark we descended down to where we stashed the bikes, to make our way out. It seems like Murphy’s law had one more trick up his sleeve, as with still 12km left to bike back to the vehicle; a sudden clank sounded just as my left foot hit the gravel of the road. Staring down in shock, the pedal assembly of my bike had come off and was laying where it had fallen on the road. With a large rock and multitool we were able to perform a bush repair and continue undeterred to our campsite. Now with cam pand the deboned billy on our backs, we set off for the truck with only a few minutes of daylight left. Pushing hard by the light of our headlamps, the truck came into view less than an hour later, our shout of excitement echoed through the night as we descended the last hill. A shot of whiskey and a hearty sandwich eased aching muscles, laughing and joking as we packed the truck forthe journey home. I came to this place to claim an animal that I had always admired, however the true hunt is to seek out the harsh wilderness that that they endure and to navigate the terrain they call home. Even though the memory of the pain and exhaustion that accompanied this hunt is still fresh, I find myself day dreaming and planning for the next time I can pursue the beast the colour of winter.

https://i.imgur.com/TD7K5yal.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7HYMtKml.jpg

Just keep smiling through the pain!

whitlers
02-06-2019, 12:26 AM
What a beauty! Good for you guys! Sounds like a cool adventure. Goat hunting is tough that's for sure. Been after a few but have yet to take home a trophy. Well done

sizedoes matter
02-06-2019, 02:15 AM
Well done good story. Very nice goat

charlie_horse
02-06-2019, 07:00 AM
awesome goat and awesome story!

kennyj
02-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Awesome billy!! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

hawk-i
02-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Where's the plane? :)

Hank Hunter
02-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Congrats, awesome animal and great story. Thanks for sharing

bushpilot
02-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Pictures are now up, thanks for the feedback guys. Also a big thank you to member Salty for the advice on how tp post pics!

Salty
02-06-2019, 10:05 AM
My pleasure bushpilot glad it worked. Awesome pics, I'm going to read this all later when I've got lots of time to savor it all. Thanks for sharing, this is what HBC is all about :cool:

ydouask
02-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Just love a good goat hunt story and yours more than fills the bill. Congratulations Bush Pilot . Your demonstration of where/when to back off is super important when pursuing these cliff masters. :D

decker9
02-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Outstanding job!! Thank you for taking the time to figure out the photos and for sharing your story, huge congrats on a great billy!!

Wooderson604
02-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Awesome read, congrats on the billy!

Kopper
02-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Congrats on the bill and thanks for sharing with us!

There’s been a whack of goat stories this year; awesome.
If only more people took the time to share it would really shape this site for the better.

Again, congrats on a well earned goat.

IronNoggin
02-06-2019, 02:05 PM
. “The size of the trophy lies in the size of the endeavour,” I replied.

Excellent. https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif
All round that is.
I rather like your writing style, you indeed have The Way with words.
Pix are pretty damn good too btw. :wink:

Congrats on a Fine Billy!!

Cheers!
Nog

HarryToolips
02-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Congrats on the billy and nice pics and good writeup, thanks for posting....

02-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Great story to read and see the pics.
Thats what used to make hbc a great site. Very refreshing.
Good to see you post it up and share with us all, instead of hunters attacking other hunters legal methods which unfortunately is helping to take away some and eventually all our hunting rights.

Congrats to you both on your terrific success building a memory that will last your lifetime.

Big Billies in my opinion deserve far more credit than is given to them or held by Big Rams. The way i see it. Big Bills are the kings of the mountains. Until you've hunted these critters you really have no scope of what it takes to harvest them .

Thanks Bushpilot!

CT

bushpilot
02-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Wow some great responses from some of this sites heavy hitters, it's much appreciated. I originally typed this story with intent of having it published in a magazine but I think this is a better sharing platform as it generates feedback and discussion after the fact. Also I felt like after enjoying so many stories over the years that it is time for me to start giving back, even though I admit I am a very mediocre hunter HA!

This leads me to a point I have had on the tip of my tongue for long time. Hunting is not a sport, a hobby or even a lifestyle; it is older than the time humans first became self aware of their own existence. Therefore it is a defining part of humanity and you should embrace it as much, better yet you should SHARE it with those have lost touch with it.

Every hunt has a tale of adventure and lessons learned from the natural world regardless of the outcome, yet many hold back from fear of being criticized by a faceless stranger on their method, weapon or quarry of choice. To hide in the shadows and continue along this path will be the end of hunting, because few will understand what we do and why, and we will cease to matter. So share your stories, whether on here, at work, in a public place etc..., invite a non-hunter to join you, be tasteful and message driven on social media, the time has come to give back to humanity the gift of hunting.

I AM A HUNTER! and I seek out animals to kill them, using their life force to provide sustenance for myself and my family. However it is the interaction with the natural world and the lessons that mother nature has to teach me that replenishes my soul and drives me to these pursuits. So I will protect hunting not as my right as an individual but as it is my identity.

45freezer
02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Awesome write up and great photos, big congratulations...should be in store for many delicious meals and trophy memories!

PS the post above is 100% on point, keep telling your stories and letting people know this is so much more than a rack on the wall, rug on the couch or even meat in the freezer.

jtred
02-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Perfect timing for an excellent write up, congratulations on a successful trip.

r106
02-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Sounds like and an awesome adventure, congrats

OutsyderBC
02-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Good job lads! Look forwards to seeing you both (in the spring?) and having a proper catch up

Rattler
02-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Great goat and story, congrats to you. He sure must have taken a good fall by the looks of his beat up face.

BCbillies
02-07-2019, 12:00 AM
That was a great read and a great first goat! You'll have many more stories to share I am sure . . . I admire the respect you show for the animal and the wilds.

jac
02-07-2019, 12:09 AM
Great story thanks for sharing

LBM
02-07-2019, 05:54 AM
Congrats on a nice goat and quit the adventure. Curious as to age and legnth of the goat.
Also thanks for getting the picture thing figured out, the little thumb print ones were hard to see.

bang flop
02-07-2019, 08:46 PM
great read, thanks for sharing. I will have to post my goat story up one of these days...