PDA

View Full Version : CWD Update

bownut
02-03-2019, 03:40 PM
I just found out that another big cull will happen in Alberta this year, seems CWD is spreading throughout the Province.
Wonder if BC did more checking what to results would be?

Here's one
https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/06/24/Chronic-Wasting-Disease-Research/

Funny I still see natural urine lures in the stores time to time, and known hunting practices that concentrate wildlife, I won't say the "B" word.
Can't afford time away from all of you.
Seems like the Bios are changing the way they think, maybe too late!

butcher
02-03-2019, 05:10 PM
I killed a CWD buck in Alberta this year.

02-03-2019, 05:16 PM
I killed a CWD buck in Alberta this year.

Nice.....any pics? Albertas got some nice bucks.

Give some steaks to Bownut. :mrgreen:

Hang any piss strips under your stand lately? Hypocrite.

rageous
02-03-2019, 05:22 PM
I just found out that another big cull will happen in Alberta this year, seems CWD is spreading throughout the Province.
Wonder if BC did more checking what to results would be?

Here's one
https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/06/24/Chronic-Wasting-Disease-Research/

Funny I still see natural urine lures in the stores time to time, and known hunting practices that concentrate wildlife, I won't say the "B" word.
Can't afford time away from all of you.
Seems like the Bios are changing the way they think, maybe too late!

Is is there a place a person can get their game meat tested for CWD?

Is there any relation to deer bait stations?

Jordan f.
02-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Curious as to where you heard about another cull happening in Alberta?

Through talks with a Bio and people with AGPAC, I haven't heard anyone mention a provincial mandated cull. I do know there's been talks of a few options on how to deal with it though. It's just getting worse and worse.

butcher
02-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Not much of a buck. Gave it up to the CO and he took it to an incinerator.

Piss strips? Don’t understand.

Wild one
02-03-2019, 07:12 PM

Alberta has testing and baiting deer has been banned for as long as I can remember

bownut
02-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Your the best.

bownut
02-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Heres a Alberta CWD Update

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/wildlife-diseases/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-updates/default.aspx

Looks like a big spike!

Jordan f.
02-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Heres a Alberta CWD Update

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/wildlife-diseases/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-updates/default.aspx

Looks like a big spike!

I don't see anything about a cull

bownut
02-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Alberta has testing and baiting deer has been banned for as long as I can remember

Thats the problem in BC, we haven't evolved much.
Read the post that the BCWF has on this site it pretty much says it all.
Old News

Oh and if any one including Curly wants to learn a little about the transmission process instead of living with their heads up the A...ses.
feel free.

Salty
02-03-2019, 09:30 PM
The Tyee? hahahahahahahaa

bownut
02-03-2019, 10:13 PM
I don't see anything about a cull

When I heard the story, I started looking into the CWD process on when it gets this bad. Seems to add up, I guess all we can do is watch.

rageous
02-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Can you provide a link to this proposed cull please?

Walking Buffalo
02-04-2019, 12:56 AM
Bownut,

Thanks for the reponse to my pm.

This is a very serious issue that deserves accurate information.
This is no place for rumours or crying wolf.

Please clarify your claim of "another big cull WILL happen this year".

russm86
02-04-2019, 10:55 AM

There is nothing what so ever proving bait piles are any more likely than natural food sources, watering holes, or agricultural fields etc, to spread CWD. Bownut is just an anti trying to push his own views across on everyone else in order to convince everyone we need to ban yet 1 more thing, that may or may not have any real affect on transmission. Hence about 6 anti-baiting threads etc he's started now. As I've stated in other threads by him, bait stands in BC don't work the way he thinks in his little head (10s or 100s of deer don't come a running from miles around, the deer that are already there won't even go out of there way by 50 yards) and the few people who do it aren't contributing squat compared to all the other "attractions" out there. My guess would be less than 1% compared to natural sources of food/water, planted alf-alfa or hay fields, salt licks for cattle, etc. This is also reflected by the fact that several provinces/states have had bait bans for a long time and yet CWD is still spreading in all of them.

ajr5406
02-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Still waiting for my CWD results from a Nov 21st Mule deer.

albravo2
02-04-2019, 11:14 AM
The Tyee? hahahahahahahaa

My thoughts exactly. I rarely click on links but I NEVER click on a link that would take me to that rag.

Jordan f.
02-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Can we have one thread where we don't call each other "anti's"?

We all love hunting.

There's a few options being looked at in Alberta. All can have their positives and negatives. A cull (given the size of the area now, and the public backlash the last time they tried) doesn't seem a likely move to me. But I really hope they can get a handle on this.

Ourea
02-04-2019, 11:25 AM
There is nothing what so ever proving bait piles are any more likely than natural food sources, watering holes, or agricultural fields etc, to spread CWD. Bownut is just an anti trying to push his own views across on everyone else in order to convince everyone we need to ban yet 1 more thing, that may or may not have any real affect on transmission. Hence about 6 anti-baiting threads etc he's started now. As I've stated in other threads by him, bait stands in BC don't work the way he thinks in his little head (10s or 100s of deer don't come a running from miles around, the deer that are already there won't even go out of there way by 50 yards) and the few people who do it aren't contributing squat compared to all the other "attractions" out there. My guess would be less than 1% compared to natural sources of food/water, planted alf-alfa or hay fields, salt licks for cattle, etc. This is also reflected by the fact that several provinces/states have had bait bans for a long time and yet CWD is still spreading in all of them.

He also has promoted them as pred pits, which is nonsense.
Agenda driven, no facts, just endless sniping.

IronNoggin
02-04-2019, 12:05 PM
I just found out that another big cull will happen in Alberta this year...

Really? A few queries with a handful of my old colleagues back there strongly suggest this is bull-pucky.

When I heard the story, I started looking into the CWD process on when it gets this bad. Seems to add up, I guess all we can do is watch.

"Heard the story" OR Made it up? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/confused0024.gif

Given the extreme backlash that occurred after their last cull fiasco, I would be downright amazed were they to try that on again.
I am not at all surprised however at their current Modus Operandii of simply issuing massive amounts of tags (and notably doe tags) in effected areas. Substantially more in some areas than ever seen before. That action is causing several outfitters I know to pull the plug - they see the writing on the wall, and understand the gov's focus on driving deer populations in those area right into the dirt. In a round-about way, a cull of sorts. Only being performed by licensed hunters, not government staff.

As many have noted here before, there is zero evidence suggesting any correlation between baiting and the spread of CWD.

Nog

bownut
02-04-2019, 05:30 PM

A anti with a wall of horns, how does that works?

skibum
02-04-2019, 06:03 PM
I like how we call for science based management..... except when it goes against something we like to do.

Are we really that self interested that we would risk a likely transmission portal and quicker spread of CWD, to throw everything we have against the banning of baiting.

They are all morons down in the states, no clue clue how to manage whitetail, state agencies banning baiting to help stop the spread of CWD are all idiots compared the scientific knowledge I possess.

And yes there is evidence of baiting and CWD

Ourea
02-04-2019, 06:04 PM
A anti with a wall of horns, how does that works?

Unless they're all sheep .......they are called antlers.

LBM
02-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Mountain Goats have horns

02-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Having a WT Roast tonight for dinner......shot from my blind, bait was down the lane at 85 yards......after 8 straight days of sitting dark to dark , never leaving, took a spike out, after turning down the countless parade of deer after deer after deer....huge bucks too....oh forgot to mention bucky was shot at 35 yards.....not near the bait on last day of rifle season. Also, this eater buck was never filmed at this spot for 8 days......ya its a real killer.

HighCountryBC
02-04-2019, 07:03 PM

Some "elitist's" can't stand to see others having success on quality animals by a method they don't use. Pretty much what's happening here. Bownut isn't having success like he used to and refuses to adapt. Meanwhile, other hunters have dug into the playbook and are seeing positive results.

Salty
02-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Some "elitist's" can't stand to see others having success on quality animals by a method they don't use. Pretty much what's happening here. Bownut isn't having success like he used to and refuses to adapt. Meanwhile, other hunters have dug into the playbook and are seeing positive results.

AFAIC "hunters" that only support other hunters if they fit into their specific tunnel vision of exactly how things should be done are probably more damaging to hunting than antis are. Antis rant and rail and always will but they're not very effective and the average citizen sees right through them. Hunters calling to close all kinds of hunting techniques that don't fit exactly in to their own practices is potentially a more damaging situation. Either way I don't have any time for either group.

Ron.C
02-04-2019, 07:49 PM
how many threads do we need to talk the same BS. How about people just agree to disagree and move the F' on.

HighCountryBC
02-04-2019, 07:56 PM
AFAIC "hunters" that only support other hunters if they fit into their specific tunnel vision of exactly how things should be done are probably more damaging to hunting than antis are. Antis rant and rail and always will but they're not very effective and the average citizen sees right through them. Hunters calling to close all kinds of hunting techniques that don't fit exactly in to their own practices is potentially a more damaging situation. Either way I don't have any time for either group.

Bingo. Couldn't agree more.

RobU
02-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Seems you and your little buddys aren’t above sniping either.
Time to grow up and look at ALL the issues concerning what’s happening everywhere else. Hopefully we can learn something about CWD and the activities / scenarios that may or may not accelerate the spread. If u can’t handle it i recommend watching Sesame Street.

Ourea
02-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Seems you and your little buddys aren’t above sniping either.
Time to grow up and look at ALL the issues concerning what’s happening everywhere else. Hopefully we can learn something about CWD and the activities / scenarios that may or may not accelerate the spread. If u can’t handle it i recommend watching Sesame Street.

Have met with wildlife bios, made calls and done some emails on the issue to have a better grasp on the issue that could face BC and what the primary concerns are.
You?

RobU
02-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Have met with wildlife bios, made calls and done some emails on the issue to have a better grasp on the issue that could face BC and what the primary concerns are.
You?

I too am educating myself. Your behaviour on this thread is school girl like. Be a man.

Ourea
02-04-2019, 08:46 PM
I too am educating myself. Your behaviour on this thread is school girl like. Be a man.

Very well thought and mature response.
:shock:

russm86
02-05-2019, 12:34 PM
I like how we call for science based management..... except when it goes against something we like to do.

Are we really that self interested that we would risk a likely transmission portal and quicker spread of CWD, to throw everything we have against the banning of baiting.

They are all morons down in the states, no clue clue how to manage whitetail, state agencies banning baiting to help stop the spread of CWD are all idiots compared the scientific knowledge I possess.

As I said, where is the evidence that baiting has any impact on CWD transmission compared to ALL of the other means of transmission? Show me, I'll wait. It hasn't been done. Yes, it is known that CWD transmission COULD occur on a bait pile, but it is also known to occur anywhere deer congregate like fields, watering holes, farmers salt licks and hay stacks etc. I doubt the odd bait pile in the bush up here is contributing even 1% to all transmissions compared to the rest. You really want to ban something that has no real research into ACTUAL impact on transmission. If we are going to ban something that accounts for such a tiny amount of all transmissions then we damn well better have banned EVERY other means of transmission before we get to that point (good luck telling the farmers they can't keep hay out in the open or provide salt licks for their cattle). In other words, there is absolutely no point in banning something that might only contribute 1% if you don't do anything about the other 99%, it's basic math and logic.

I wasn't saying they don't know how to manage white tail etc or that they are wrong in their intention, but it's quite obvious the bait bans don't work or have as large an impact as they thought if they still all have CWD spreading everywhere.

FYI, I originally majored in physics and minored in biology. I'm all for the science, regardless of what it says compared to my views. Fact is the science isn't there or adding up on this one yet.

russm86
02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
look at ALL the issues concerning what’s happening everywhere else. Hopefully we can learn something about CWD and the activities / scenarios that may or may not accelerate the spread

I agree, we have to look at everything, not just 1 part, and compare how each event actually contributes to the total. Until then, we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions and banning everything that could have very little to no impact in the end.

rageous
02-05-2019, 12:56 PM
^^^^russm86 for premier!!!

RobU
02-05-2019, 07:32 PM
I agree, we have to look at everything, not just 1 part, and compare how each event actually contributes to the total. Until then, we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions and banning everything that could have very little to no impact in the end.

Heres hoping we are able to stay ahead of the curve. My confidence in those with the ability to do the right things is at an all time low.

silvertipp
02-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black !

RobU
02-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black !

Dont get your panties in a bunch sweetheart.
Was referring to NDP / Green and ministry.

silvertipp
02-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Oh I see
just going off what you posted
"Your behaviour on this thread is school girl like"
ourea is a very dedicated advocate for wildlife and hunters don't see where your childish behaviour is going to do
Get you any credibility

RobU
02-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Oh I see
just going off what you posted
"Your behaviour on this thread is school girl like"
ourea is a very dedicated advocate for wildlife and hunters don't see where your childish behaviour is going to do
Get you any credibility

Rest assured. I’m not searching for credibility from you or anyone else. I don’t need an ego boost or a pat on the back. I’m quite confident in who I am and where I stand. But thanks for your shallow concerns.

Piperdown
02-06-2019, 07:12 AM
^^^^russm86 for premier!!!

Nope, he is too smart for that :)

tigrr
02-06-2019, 07:43 AM
Any of you seen the wintering grounds where 100's of deer spend 4 months together? And you wonder how CWD could spread.
Bait piles in Alberta. Ever seen grain being transferred out of a truck into bins. Or some spillage out of a leaky hoper/truck.
Last I heard the only way to test for CWD is on a dead animal. Sad day for the deer population.

RobU
02-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Any of you seen the wintering grounds where 100's of deer spend 4 months together? And you wonder how CWD could spread.
Bait piles in Alberta. Ever seen grain being transferred out of a truck into bins. Or some spillage out of a leaky hoper/truck.
Last I heard the only way to test for CWD is on a dead animal. Sad day for the deer population.

Well said. Instead of spreading fear we need to identify ALL high risk environments and put in place procedures to correct the potential problems before they become irreversible. Surely we can put aside our personal hunting preferences and keep our eyes on the bigger picture.

russm86
02-06-2019, 10:32 AM

These are the same points I've been making since bownut started his barrage of anti-baiting threads. So many other places/reasons for deer to congregate, baiting is likely a drop of rain in the ocean...

Ourea
02-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Well said. Instead of spreading fear we need to identify ALL high risk environments and put in place procedures to correct the potential problems before they become irreversible. Surely we can put aside our personal hunting preferences and keep our eyes on the bigger picture.

Valid comment.
So who is we.
What capabilities and influence do the we have.?

caddisguy
02-06-2019, 03:14 PM
While baiting is far from a gimme and I don't think harvest off bait is very common, something tells me someone dropped a record buck off a salt lick a few hundred yards from bownut's stand :)

RobU
02-06-2019, 08:07 PM
While baiting is far from a gimme and I don't think harvest off bait is very common, something tells me someone dropped a record buck off a salt lick a few hundred yards from bownut's stand :)

Thats a very sensitive topic. Is it cwd related? Possibly as anywhere animals congregate and turn up the earth is a factor. I’m not a baiting supporter myself. I believe it challenges the very meaning of fair chase. But that being said it is my opinion and observation.
On a positive note with cwd at our doorstep we may be lucky our populations are very low now and in the foreseeable future.

RobU
02-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Valid comment.
So who is we.
What capabilities and influence do the we have.?

HAHA. Figure it out. I’m not easily pulled into the mud so try on someone else. You waste my time.

Piperdown
02-06-2019, 08:40 PM
HAHA. Figure it out. I’m not easily pulled into the mud so try on someone else. You waste my time.

Your arrogance belittles your 92 posts

Ourea
02-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Not looking for conflict.
Who is .."we".
No mud question.

RobU
02-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Not looking for conflict.
Who is .."we".
No mud question.

my apologies. Concerned hunters. Concerned non hunters. Every club, organization and conservation minded group. Division is destroying us. If I had one hope for 2019 is hunter involvement. Those guys and girls who aren’t involved with a fish and game club must at least start there. This in turn brings us strength in numbers, unity and desperately needed funding.
We will start seeing benefits at ministry and govt levels as well when we become organized.
Hope that sums up my concerns. I could go on but that focused on where we have dropped the ball. IMO

Wild one
02-07-2019, 11:01 AM
I agree 100% the lack of organization and division among hunters is the true issue in BC

Ourea
02-07-2019, 05:44 PM
my apologies. Concerned hunters. Concerned non hunters. Every club, organization and conservation minded group. Division is destroying us. If I had one hope for 2019 is hunter involvement. Those guys and girls who aren’t involved with a fish and game club must at least start there. This in turn brings us strength in numbers, unity and desperately needed funding.
We will start seeing benefits at ministry and govt levels as well when we become organized.
Hope that sums up my concerns. I could go on but that focused on where we have dropped the ball. IMO

So, hears the deal......

Hunters as a group are always pointing the finger.
We are quick to cast doubt and attack any group or organization that doesn't directly align with hunting.
We fight among ourselves, tribalism at its finest.

We bash the Fed.
We bash game bios and mangers.
We always think we know what's best.

In your own words you said, "division is destroying us".

It will take more than a pack of squabbling hunters to beat a drum loud enough to impact resource practices and wildlife enhancement.

Wild one
02-07-2019, 05:58 PM
So, hears the deal......

Hunters as a group are always pointing the finger.
We are quick to cast doubt and attack any group or organization that does directly align with hunting.
We fight among ourselves, tribalism at its finest.

We bash the Fed.
We bash game bios and mangers.
We always think we know what's best.

In your own words you said, "division is destroying us".

It will take more than a pack of squabbling hunters to beat a drum loud enough to impact resource practices and wildlife enhancement.

I sure hope you’re not another one that is ready to jump in bed with questionable groups because you don’t think you can get things done within the hunting community

No this is not a shot at you but a post like this makes a guy wonder.

Ourea
02-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Evaluation period is in order.
It's not a last call at the bar type scenario by any means. Many are tired of the merry go round.

Times change quickly.
There is a word for things that dont adapt and change to survive.
It's called 'extinct'.

Wild one
02-07-2019, 07:56 PM
It's not a last call at the bar type scenario by any means. Many are tired of the merry go round.

Times change quickly.
It's called 'extinct'.

Been saying for years change is needed but there is a difference between adapting and shaking hands with the devil because you cannot figure out how to rally the troops to get things done

Sounds like a good potential of a sh!t storm mess

Disappointing really

RobU
02-07-2019, 07:57 PM

Times change quickly.
It's called 'extinct'.

Thats deep.
I think no matter how different our lives, jobs, backgrounds are we should all be able to agree on one thing. “ the system in place right now is not working”
I quote this and it’s truth stands the test of time.
“Failure isn’t trying something and it doesn’t work.....Failure is trying the exact same thing over and over again but expecting different results.”
I feel our BC is in this bad cycle.
We manage in a reactive mindset not much proactive.

RobU
02-07-2019, 08:05 PM
I’ve gotten off CWD topic. But still relates to how BC manages wildlife and policies. Can CWD damage be minimal if all the right things are in place before it takes root?
And CWD could be compared to the salmon farms where things were let go way too long before something was done. Again reactive.

HarryToolips
02-07-2019, 10:18 PM
If we as hunters are to receive our funding that we badly need to turn this ship around, we need to all be on the same page regarding voting in the next provincial election: we need to vote BC Liberal, and hold them to their last election promise, which was that all our hunting licence revenue be put back into wildlife and habitat....

As far as CWD spread from baiting is concerned, I am not educated enough on the topic to have a firm opinion.. however, as I see it, baiting would be no more of a risk than the risk of CWD spread from deer congregations on agricultural plots of land..

RobU
02-07-2019, 10:53 PM
If we as hunters are to receive our funding that we badly need to turn this ship around, we need to all be on the same page regarding voting in the next provincial election: we need to vote BC Liberal, and hold them to their last election promise, which was that all our hunting licence revenue be put back into wildlife and habitat....

As far as CWD spread from baiting is concerned, I am not educated enough on the topic to have a firm opinion.. however, as I see it, baiting would be no more of a risk than the risk of CWD spread from deer congregations on agricultural plots of land..

moved past baiting as it’s not a baiting thread for 1 and it’s a stressful topic which usually results in a shut down. I think it’s safe to say all higher risk environments need to be identified. You are right. Safe havens and overcrowding on private agricultural land should also pose a very high risk. Cooperation with private land owners will likely be a critical component. I’m not sure how the prairie provinces have managed cwd with so much private land. Alberta has recruited trappers to perform culls in specific areas as well liberal bag limits in specific management areas. No province wide cull, just more agressive population management targeting cwd hot spots that I’m aware of. This coming from a very involved friend in Alberta. So yes, second hand information to me but I’ve known him for decades and don’t see how he could have a reason to feed me false info. I wasn’t provided with any more than that so if someone from Albert can clarify, verify or deny. All good here.

.264winmag
02-07-2019, 11:07 PM
I see Cody Robbins has been dishing out 10,600# of grub every two weeks to help the Saskatchewan deer out.
And go...

Piperdown
02-08-2019, 07:53 AM
I see Cody Robbins has been dishing out 10,600# of grub every two weeks to help the Saskatchewan deer out.
And go...

All the shows i have watched of his i haven't seen a skinny sick deer yet....

Walking Buffalo
02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
All the shows i have watched of his i haven't seen a skinny sick deer yet....

Ballparking the percentage here...
95% of CWD positive deer shot by hunters show no outward symptoms of the disease, they appear fat and healthy.

But they are not. Within 18-24 months every one will have died from the disease.

CWD infection rates are skyrocketing in Alberta, particularly for Mule deer, and especially in Bucks.
Several areas have an infection rate of over 50% for Mule deer males over 1 year of age.
We haven't seen anything yet as to how detrimental this disease may become to deer,
And then IF it ever becomes transmittable to humans....

-----

Back to the OP.

Bownut, I gave you the opportunity to clarify your comment, and you decided not to.

Spreading what you acknowledge to be an unsubstantiated rumour like this is dishonourable behavior,
especially for a person requesting trust in leading future decisions regarding wildlife.

Sportster
02-08-2019, 01:41 PM

The Ihunter app shows all the testing stations in Alberta. Taken a lot of white tails and mulies over the years in the WMU 350 and 200, we have all are deer tested , and have yet to have a infected animal. (Good) I read a report that said that the disease is passed from animal to animal by saliva, so I can see where bait stations could be a problem. As mentioned before white tails have been knowing herd up in the hundreds, I've never seen it, but my hunting buddies in Alberta have. In that situation it would only take a couple of animals to spend the disease throughout the herd.

horshur
02-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Ballparking the percentage here...
95% of CWD positive deer shot by hunters show no outward symptoms of the disease, they appear fat and healthy.

But they are not. Within 18-24 months every one will have died from the disease.

CWD infection rates are skyrocketing in Alberta, particularly for Mule deer, and especially in Bucks.
Several areas have an infection rate of over 50% for Mule deer males over 1 year of age.
We haven't seen anything yet as to how detrimental this disease may become to deer,
And then IF it ever becomes transmittable to humans....

-----

Back to the OP.

Bownut, I gave you the opportunity to clarify your comment, and you decided not to.

Spreading what you acknowledge to be an unsubstantiated rumour like this is dishonourable behavior,
especially for a person requesting trust in leading future decisions regarding wildlife.
He got banned so maybe that why no reply?

Walking Buffalo
02-10-2019, 01:32 PM
He got banned so maybe that why no reply?

Maybe.... he did have a few days to respond on the thread before he was banned.

So to clear the air, there is no confirmed plan for a new big cull, never was.
Bownut knew this....

There are lots of options being discussed on what to do now re' CWD control in Alberta.
Doing nothing sure isn't helping.
Nothing has been decided.

Ohwildwon
02-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Now hitting main stream media in the states...

Wow, Mad Cow = Zombie, who knew!:roll:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/02/16/zombie-deer-chronic-wasting-disease-could-affect-humans/2882550002/

Bugle M In
02-17-2019, 01:14 AM
I'll have to talk to my father in laws good friend in Alberta.
He has lots of land, raises Bison for sale.
Gone to school for all sorts of Agriculture issues as well.
I will see what he has to say, as I am sure CWD would be concerning for him.

Rackmastr
02-17-2019, 01:35 AM
Just got the news that my wife's AB mulie tested positive from last fall.

I was pleasantly surprised that the AB govt had passed the info along to BC to follow up and assist with disposal. I'm sure there are a heck of a lot of guys who would just take everything and dump it in the bush, so good to see they are trying to get ahead of that and assist in making sure people take the right steps.

RobU
02-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Of course it would stand to reason congregation at a bait site can spread cwd plus a mountain of other environments. Those who ask for science to prove baiting transmits cwd are clinging to weak ideals. I say where is there a scientist (biologists) willing to sign their name claiming baiting does not provide an environment suitable for these prions (from saliva) to exist and be passed along to others using the bait site?

RobU
02-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Interesting. You just received results now? Your meat now gone? I’m curious as to the events between kill date, testing date and results date. Seems a very long time for you to wait. Were you given information in Alberta on what to do during this length of time?

RobU
02-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Global news thread this morning.
Zombie deer disease!! Wow. Sensational title. Overkill maybe but an attention getter.
2 provinces and 24 states. This should be an interesting ride.

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Instead of thinking of ways to not congregate the deer, how bout using the congregating to our advantage....here is a twist on baiting....if salt is mixed into the soil instead of as a big block (like hunters would), then there is a good chance that the animals will have to eat some soil with it.....they get some humic acid with the soil they lick up and potentially the humic acid cures them of CWD. peeps placing bait could even get jugs of humic acid from the organic grow stores and now claim they are actually helping deer with CWD.....baiting could actually be beneficial

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2019, 11:26 AM
http://www.x-humate.com/sale-10444646-humic-acid.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xrFk3jXFPb 7wighJCGne_SuhHMIrTVCtWY8MWbXeQ-qwCaQUJjd8fBoCqWkQAvD_BwE

according to this link it can be bought in bulk powder for $100-400 a ton from china

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2019, 11:28 AM
https://elknetwork.com/researcher-humic-acid-may-break-down-cwd/

some recent research on the subject

http://wildlife.org/compound-in-soil-fights-chronic-wasting-disease/

Wild one
02-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Instead of thinking of ways to not congregate the deer, how bout using the congregating to our advantage....here is a twist on baiting....if salt is mixed into the soil instead of as a big block (like hunters would), then there is a good chance that the animals will have to eat some soil with it.....they get some humic acid with the soil they lick up and potentially the humic acid cures them of CWD. peeps placing bait could even get jugs of humic acid from the organic grow stores and now claim they are actually helping deer with CWD.....baiting could actually be beneficial

Once there is a proven cure this could be an option but humic acid is not a cure for CWD

Now putting effort into generating funds to be donated to research for a cure for CWD so your theory could be put into place hopefully before it reaches BC might be a better path the arguments over baiting

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Once there is a proven cure this could be an option but humic acid is not a cure for CWD

Now putting effort into generating funds to be donated to research for a cure for CWD so your theory could be put into place hopefully before it reaches BC might be a better path the arguments over baiting

do you have a link to any recent research showing humic acid does not help? all i have seen so far is early "potential" for it and evidence it can destroy the prions in dirt and in brain tissue....seems good so far right!!I have not seen anything conclusive either way on a cure but if it can destroy the prions (very tough little molecules) it would be the first step to a cure...very concerning stuff to us hunters..

Wild one
02-17-2019, 12:26 PM
do you have a link to any recent research showing humic acid does not help? all i have seen so far is early "potential" for it and evidence it can destroy the prions in dirt and in brain tissue....seems good so far right!!I have not seen anything conclusive either way on a cure but if it can destroy the prions (very tough little molecules) it would be the first step to a cure...very concerning stuff to us hunters..

There is conflicting opinions if CWD is a bacterial strain or prion based I don’t do links so sorry you will have to google it.

Right now yes there is a theory based on humic acid but it’s far from proven. Now if you were suggesting applying your theory of combining humic acid to bait sites in Saskatchewan to see if it had an impact on CWD I would say it’s a worth plan. Even suggesting ways to generate funds to apply and study the results of that theory in an area infected with CWD I would agree

Applying humic acid to bait sites in BC to prevent CWD is not going to hurt but basically you are applying something that might work in an area a long ways away from any confirmed case of CWD. BC needs to focus on preventing CWD from reaching BC because it really does not matter if baiting helps CWD spread because bait bans don’t stop the spread.

I am no expert on CWD and still learning but everything points to If BC hunters are worried about CWD it’s a matter of finding out how solve CWD before it reaches here.

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2019, 12:37 PM
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181129142435.htm
another blurb on recent research for CWD and humic acid

https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1007414
and another

Wild one
02-17-2019, 12:53 PM
I am well aware of where your theory comes from. If the humic acid theory is proven effective BC has nothing to fear but these theories needs to be tested were CWD is present

My point is this is not a proven cure and battling CWD with an unproven cure in BC where CWD is not present is futile. It would be nothing more then an attempt to morally justify baiting to those opposed to baiting

RobU
02-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Baiting is just one man made threat to create a cwd environment. Not a bait bashing thread but hopefully bringing about awareness to hunters as this website is about hunters. Identifying all higher risk environments and successfully addressing them will be key moving ahead in BC.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure right now. Great posts everyone. Very informative.

Wild one
02-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Baiting is just one man made threat to create a cwd environment. Not a bait bashing thread but hopefully bringing about awareness to hunters as this website is about hunters. Identifying all higher risk environments and successfully addressing them will be key moving ahead in BC.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure right now. Great posts everyone. Very informative.

If Alberta’s(or anywhere for that matter) bait ban showed evidence of preventing the spread of CWD I would see the reason to support a ban in BC. If CWD reaches BC a bait ban won’t stop the spread

There is always the one option that would be very unpopular and that would be a major cull along the BC border. Culls have been way more effective then a bait bans. Another effective tool is ban ungulate parts of any kind from outside of BC to lower the risk of CWD infected tissue of any kind is not brought into B.C..

We could take measures that are way more effective than a bait ban if we want to head down that road but people won’t like those options

Keep saying it if BC hunters who fear CWD want to do something the fight is not here in BC it’s in the areas that are infected. We can apply bait bans and testing in BC even but that is really no more then crossing your fingers CWD is cured before it reaches BC

horshur
02-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Devils advocate...would not a migration corridor such as y2y envisions facilitate the spread of chronic wasting disease? logic would suggest isolated populations would be at less risk..
Habitat fragmentation might just be a last hope? Somthing to think about eh? Not without historical precedent either.

RobU
02-18-2019, 09:13 AM
If Alberta’s(or anywhere for that matter) bait ban showed evidence of preventing the spread of CWD I would see the reason to support a ban in BC. If CWD reaches BC a bait ban won’t stop the spread

There is always the one option that would be very unpopular and that would be a major cull along the BC border. Culls have been way more effective then a bait bans. Another effective tool is ban ungulate parts of any kind from outside of BC to lower the risk of CWD infected tissue of any kind is not brought into B.C..

We could take measures that are way more effective than a bait ban if we want to head down that road but people won’t like those options

Keep saying it if BC hunters who fear CWD want to do something the fight is not here in BC it’s in the areas that are infected. We can apply bait bans and testing in BC even but that is really no more then crossing your fingers CWD is cured before it reaches BC

Perhaps one thing to consider and this is wide open to interpretation and criticism. Alberta cwd % is around half of that in Saskatchewan. One has wide open baiting one doesn’t. Connecting the dots is way above my pay grade. Lol

Rackmastr
02-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Interesting. You just received results now? Your meat now gone? I’m curious as to the events between kill date, testing date and results date. Seems a very long time for you to wait. Were you given information in Alberta on what to do during this length of time?

Just got results last week yep. Submitted test Nov 17 and most wait times are pretty long these days it seems. Meat is not consumed and has been in a freezer deboned. All bones and carcass were discarded within 300 yards of the kill site.

Alberta has decent paperwork on meat and bone handling procedures.

Wild one
02-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Perhaps one thing to consider and this is wide open to interpretation and criticism. Alberta cwd % is around half of that in Saskatchewan. One has wide open baiting one doesn’t. Connecting the dots is way above my pay grade. Lol

I would assume Saskatchewan being infected with CWD for a longer period plays a large roll in the fact it has spread over a larger number of animals. Looking at maps of the CWD infected areas in both Saskatchewan and Alberta along with the time difference in known infection it does not look like the bait ban has had much effect

regardless it is clear a bait ban has done little to nothing to stop the spread of CWD

A bait ban would have no personal impact on me I don’t use it but I also don’t see it being an issue

HarryToolips
02-18-2019, 09:49 AM
I haven't had time to research it yet, I will when I have some time, but has anyone found out how states such as Washington and Idaho are doing with regards to CWD? I would find that more worrysome than Alberta, as animals south of us don't have the Rockies in their way to migrate up here...

Wild one
02-18-2019, 10:02 AM
I haven't had time to research it yet, I will when I have some time, but has anyone found out how states such as Washington and Idaho are doing with regards to CWD? I would find that more worrysome than Alberta, as animals south of us don't have the Rockies in their way to migrate up here...

I am no expert but have done a little research and from everything I have gone through CWD is all east of the Rockies

RobU
02-18-2019, 10:27 AM
I am no expert but have done a little research and from everything I have gone through CWD is all east of the Rockies

I have heard by unconfirmed reports cwd is in 2 small populations in bc. I can’t stress enough that this is unconfirmed and I’m trying like hell to find the source of this information. Not only to have this knowledge but also stop such info from spreading if untrue. Would be safe to say our eastern border is certainly being monitored but threat from Washington and idaho is certainly a consideration. Please know this post is for anyone who knows this information to be true and if it’s false rumours we need to have it stopped in its tracks. I reluctantly post this but finding the truth is very important. Avoid criticism towards me as I’m working hard to dig this up and hopefully stop a bad story from spreading. Help???

Wild one
02-18-2019, 11:06 AM
I sure hope it’s just a rumour because at this time CWD is unstoppable

RobU
02-18-2019, 11:20 AM
I sure hope it’s just a rumour because at this time CWD is unstoppable

Agreed wild one.
I’ve reached out to the individual who told me this. He is on a vacation, but I will stay on this like a blood hound. Well respected and extremely well connected. I won’t discount the claims because quite frankly I wouldn’t be at all surprised if true. If untrue it has to stop.
However one saving grace by sheer coincidence is our wildlife pops are extremely low in most regions.
Not fueling the rumour mill here but seeking absolute truth.

Bugle M In
02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
I heard thru a friend that just a little earlier today it was on the radio, and that yes, there have now been confirmed
reports of cwd in BC.

Wild one
02-18-2019, 12:00 PM
That is a hell of a jump from where known infected areas which leads me to think human caused spread

If anyone comes across more proof to confirm it please post it

RobU
02-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Well without a trump wall. It’s bound to happen. This thread is showing some promise.
Bugle M In.... did it mention the affected areas and species. I’d like to be able to compare to what I’ve been told to start establishing validity.

RobU
02-18-2019, 12:19 PM
The affected areas I’ve been told about are far from higher risk borders so very reluctant to post it until more info becomes available. Wild One and Bugle M In you can PM me on this if you’re at all interested but I’m not comfortable showing hbc community until I know the facts. Too much at stake if it’s a vicious rumour.

Ourea
02-18-2019, 12:38 PM
The affected areas I’ve been told about are far from higher risk borders so very reluctant to post it until more info becomes available. Wild One and Bugle M In you can PM me on this if you’re at all interested but I’m not comfortable showing hbc community until I know the facts. Too much at stake if it’s a vicious rumour.

I just spoke with my bio contacts and have no confirmation on this.
Be curious to hear more on this purported infected area.

RobU
02-18-2019, 12:45 PM
I just spoke with my bio contacts and have no confirmation on this.
Be curious to hear more on this purported infected area.

100% agreed. It’s too easy for things to get outa control.

Wild one
02-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the offer but will wait till this comes out with the facts. With Bugle M In saying it was possibly on the radio good chance the story is coming out

Not sounding good

RobU
02-18-2019, 12:54 PM
I’ve tried to find any current radio shows on the subject and come up with zero. So yes. Just wait and see. I’m tasked with writing an article on this topic specifically on BC and relevant facts so I’ll be watching very closely. Can’t have fake news. Lol

IronNoggin
02-18-2019, 01:59 PM
... Not fueling the rumour mill here but seeking absolute truth.

RIIIIGHT!! :roll:

If that were the case, you wouldn't have mentioned it whatsoever without real proof.
Instead you run with a sensationalist rumor, either founded on he said she said, or made up yourself.
Nice.
NOT.

I too have now contacted a decent handful of BC Bio's.
Nothing on their radar.
And while they will "waste time checking", they rather sternly suggest this is nothing but an attention grabbing rumor whose ONLY source is this thread...

Nog

Bugle M In
02-18-2019, 02:03 PM
I will ask which radio program it was on this morning.
The person telling me this spends their entire day listening to news.
Will post details when I know.

RobU
02-18-2019, 02:11 PM
RIIIIGHT!! :roll:

If that were the case, you wouldn't have mentioned it whatsoever without real proof.
Instead you run with a sensationalist rumor, either founded on he said she said, or made up yourself.
Nice.
NOT.

I too have now contacted a decent handful of BC Bio's.
Nothing on their radar.
And while they will "waste time checking", they rather sternly suggest this is nothing but an attention grabbing rumor whose ONLY source is this thread...

Nog
look arsehole. Ive stated clearly where I stand on this and actually reached out for help from you all To help with this. If I’ve heard it so have many others. I’m hoping to find the truth. Not your crap.

IronNoggin
02-18-2019, 02:17 PM
look arsehole. Ive stated clearly where I stand on this and actually reached out for help from you all To help with this. If I’ve heard it so have many others. I’m hoping to find the truth. Not your crap.

Uh - Huh! :roll:

IronNoggin
02-18-2019, 02:19 PM
... I’m tasked with writing an article on this topic specifically on BC and relevant facts so I’ll be watching very closely. Can’t have fake news. Lol

Why don't you enlighten us all with just who "tasked you" with writing said article, and just where it will eventually appear if / when written.

Thanks,
Nog

RobU
02-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Sadly. U r a waste of my time.
Hoping for real hunters with genuine interest and concerns for BC.

IronNoggin
02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Sadly. U r a waste of my time.
Hoping for real hunters with genuine interest and concerns for BC.

Why don't you enlighten us all with just who "tasked you" with writing said article, and just where it will eventually appear if / when written.

Thanks,
Nog

silvertipp
02-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Really
I heard a rumour ? Maybe you should try confirming your rumour before posting it!

Ourea
02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
I double checked with another ministry contact in wildlife management.

There are zero detected or reported cases of CWD ever in the province of BC.
Further stated the areas of probability, if and when CWD entered, would be East Kootenays and the Peace.
Head collection sites are in these areas as well as others with Zero detection to date.

He also reiterated that it is illegal to import brain, spine etc of animals killed outside of BC.

Just trying to keep the rails on with facts from those in the know that monitor the disease and are up to date.

RobU
02-18-2019, 11:27 PM
Really
I heard a rumour ? Maybe you should try confirming your rumour before posting it!

and... here’s the yappy little dog at the rear of the pack. Haha.

Thank you ourea for the post The very specific details of the malicious rumour is actually what prompted me to reach out for help on the topic. However help comes in some odd shapes. Why or how these come to be isn’t known to me but I can confidently tell this individual to stop until proven otherwise.

silvertipp
02-18-2019, 11:50 PM
Spreading bs rumours is helping no one
try doing your own homework instead of getting others to do it for you
you start throwing insults as soon as you don't like what you hear
If your going to write something based on rumours you may as well leave it in the outhouse where it will be good for something other than reading

RobU
02-18-2019, 11:54 PM
When u learn to read. Please go to the post where I asked for help on this issue.

Bugle M In
02-19-2019, 02:06 AM
okay, lets just stay cool folks.
we all know cwd is out there and spreading and is a serious situation for many places already.
lets hope that some of the new thinking on what might be causing it is in fact the case.
if so, then a vaccine is possible.
only worry then is "mutation" at some point down the road.
I have seen some video links posted by others, but here is a link on a short read for the basic details, fyi.
https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/12/17/another-school-of-thought-about-what-causes-chronic-wasting-disease-in-deer/
I do think, imo, that the bc ministry try to initiate some testing in bc, asap.
rather then waiting and being behind the 8-ball like they so often are on so many wildlife issues.
I know there is a big mountain range between bc/alberta, but then again, as far as I understand things, some species
do migrate from wintering grounds in alberta to summer range in bc.
So, transfer could happen, or at least is possible in time.
As far as food plots for game cams, I think all should give that a rest only because if cwd does spread into bc, it really
isn't going to matter how the deer family get it.
Food plot or on agricultural land, what does it matter?
Right now I could hike into one area where neither exists, but where probably a couple hundred head of deer are
spending their winter right now.

Lets hope it is "bacteria" related.
For many years people suffered from ulcers.
For years doctors found h.pylori in many peoples guts but never thought much of it.
But now they discovered the connection.
The fact that this researcher did introduce the bacteria into some test sample deer and the fact that within 5.5 months
they had all contracted cwd is a positive finding.

2chodi
02-19-2019, 10:52 AM
I do think, imo, that the bc ministry try to initiate some testing in bc, asap.
rather then waiting and being behind the 8-ball like they so often are on so many wildlife issues.

CWD testing has been ongoing in BC for multiple years now with 3-4 thousand samples tested.

see http://nprg.ca/category/cwd/

I sent the following questions to the Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist providing the link to this forum discussion:

Have you heard of this? Any truth to it?

She replied:

The rumours are not true. We have had NO CWD positive samples from BC.

Let me how I can help to put a stop to the rumours and get the correct information out there.

The testing for the 2018 season are ongoing but I will be able to report those results in the next few weeks.

We have had a significant increase in the number of BC hunters returning from Alberta with CWD positive meat. This might be prompting the rumours.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm sorry for just getting back to you now, I was not in the office yesterday.

Bugle M In
02-19-2019, 11:01 AM
CWD testing has been ongoing in BC for multiple years now with 3-4 thousand samples tested.

see http://nprg.ca/category/cwd/

I sent the following questions to the Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist providing the link to this forum discussion:

Have you heard of this? Any truth to it?

She replied:

The rumours are not true. We have had NO CWD positive samples from BC.

Let me how I can help to put a stop to the rumours and get the correct information out there.

The testing for the 2018 season are ongoing but I will be able to report those results in the next few weeks.

We have had a significant increase in the number of BC hunters returning from Alberta with CWD positive meat. This might be prompting the rumours.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm sorry for just getting back to you now, I was not in the office yesterday.

Good job and thanks for the info on bc already doing some testing....good to know.
(I still want to find out what program my friend was listening to that said cwd was reprted in bc and who was saying that)
When she brought the program I said it was ironic because it was be discussed here but that cwd was not reported that
it had made it into bc.
(however she said different....but like I said, it was 2nd hand news, but we still need to know who was spreading rumors
if in fact she was right and someone was saying it existed here.....they need to be stopped!)

thanks again 2chodi!

Ourea
02-19-2019, 11:09 AM
and... here’s the yappy little dog at the rear of the pack. Haha.

Thank you ourea for the post The very specific details of the malicious rumour is actually what prompted me to reach out for help on the topic. However help comes in some odd shapes. Why or how these come to be isn’t known to me but I can confidently tell this individual to stop until proven otherwise.

RobU, the data and information on CWD is readily available. I am somewhat puzzled as to why you simply don't go to the sources, like others have done. Simply get the data and info you seek from those that are monitoring the situation.

I am also puzzled that you appear to be perpetuating "speculation and rumor" (from my perspective) when the facts say otherwise.
It is not a slight on you but just a general observation.

Addition thoughts...
There are collection centers to test for the disease in BC.
Regulations are in place banning the transportation of all body parts that can pass the disease on coming into BC.

If you are being tasked to write about the topic.......man, do some simple homework and stay out of the rumor mill.

Not trying to run anyone's life or tell them what to do but an approach could be....
Meet with a regional game manager or call him.
Call some folks in Alberta/ Sask/US that are involved in MONOTORING the disease, (not some random ill informed individual) and you are guaranteed to get the answers you seek.
Cheers

I

Bugle M In
02-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Okay, the show that spoke about cwd was the Simi Sara Show on CKNW 980.
However, it does not appear to be posted as of yet to listen to.
I would like to know if someone actually said it exists in BC, AND, who was saying that.
Obviously they need to stop if they are saying that.

IronNoggin
02-19-2019, 12:10 PM
... I’m tasked with writing an article on this topic specifically on BC and relevant facts so I’ll be watching very closely. Can’t have fake news. Lol

Thanks,
Nog

IronNoggin
02-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Okay, the show that spoke about cwd was the Simi Sara Show on CKNW 980.

Direct from Simi Sara herself:

Hi Matt,

We haven't had anyone on about this topic, we briefly talked about it as a trending story which was on the website globalnews.ca. You might find the info there. I definitely want to do more on it so if you can recommend an expert or someone to talk to, let me know.

Thanks,
Simi

The only recent reference to CWD on Global's site relates to the sensationalist article about "Zombie Deer", and nowhere mentions BC:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4970069/zombie-deer-disease/

So much for that baloney...

Nog

Bugle M In
02-19-2019, 01:46 PM
I did say it was 2nd hand news.
So somewhere my friend believed that is was in BC, although I was telling her no.
But then again, she was the one was listening and had left a message on my phone to listen.
I caught up to her later that day when she told me that.
Just coincidence that here we are discussing cwd the past few weeks and this radio broadcast my friend listen to coming
on, right at the time that there was debate as to if it was here in bc or not.

So, my apologies.....was just trying to pass along a recent event.

Bugle M In
02-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to say.
Even thru all the back forth on this thread, I have to admit I know more now about CWD then I did before this thread
started.
I am sure a more members who took the time to read did as well.

Saw a FB topic sent to me last night on cwd in the states, next to Idaho, who have cwd.
Hate to say this but if Idaho gets it, then I can see Washington State and us getting the problem very easily.

1 good point they made is that hunters can and do help keeping the disease to a minimum thru hunting.
(that's 1 for the good guys!)
BUT, I was surprised to learn that if a hunter gets an infected deer, they are to dispose of it by taking it to the
local dump!!???
Shouldn't these critters be better off incinerated??
Mind you, I can see myself in the middle of downtown Vancouver in the courtyard of my condo with a "burn barrel" going!

So that brings up a couple of questions, hypothetically speaking.
What are we to do if we are found in possession of an infected deer with cwd?
How do we dispose of it?
And, will CO's allow us to dispatch a deer on the grounds that it was showing real signs of cwd?
That might be a slippy slope, but holds merit as well...or not?

silvertipp
02-20-2019, 11:22 AM
I don't think they will ever allow you to dispatch an animal for any reasons
Years ago I was hunting bear and found a young bull moose covered in ticks and suffering he never moved for two days
I talked to a co about it asked him if I could put him down
he told me straight out "NO" and would charge me if I did
That bull suffered for two more days and died
co never came out to see it !

Bugle M In
02-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Heres a link for BC:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-health/wildlife-diseases/chronic-wasting-disease
There is a map to show the latest areas infected.
Also a pdf on BC testing so far.

One thing, they have tested just under 4000 heads.
But, this is an accumulation since 2002 til 2017.
There isn't that much testing going on yearly, imo.
Only 224 heads were sampled in 2017.
Most they did test in a year was 350 heads.

Cant find any info on "disposing of infected creature" however?
And for dispatching and infected deer, looks like hunters have to report it, but cant do it themselves and then report.

IronNoggin
02-20-2019, 11:44 AM
... What are we to do if we are found in possession of an infected deer with cwd?
How do we dispose of it?

In the cases I am aware of in BC relating to deer / meat that has been harvested in Alberta then brought back home by BC hunters, the Alberta Fish & Wildlife inform not only the hunter the deer tested positive, but also the local BC CO Office as well. The latter then make arrangements to either pick up, or have the meat dropped off to them asap. By coincidence I discussed a case of just that occurrence this very morning with a hunter whose Alberta Mulie tested Positive. It is then incinerated.

And, will CO's allow us to dispatch a deer on the grounds that it was showing real signs of cwd?
That might be a slippy slope, but holds merit as well...or not?

Nope. Report asap, but don't take them matters into your own hands unless specifically directed to do so.

Cheers,
Nog

wideopenthrottle
02-20-2019, 12:07 PM
thanks Bugle for the link to the alternate theory on the cause of CWD....it also made me think of the two researchers on H pylori down under and how even to this day on some scientific issues "99% consensus" can still turn out to be 99% wrong...

Bugle M In
02-20-2019, 12:14 PM
IronNoggin, wideopenthrottle…..thanks

srupp
02-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Hmmmm MY Alberta mulie deer buck tested positive for CWD...conservation officers will deal with the meat tommorrow am.
Srupp

Ourea
02-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Curious where RobU went after making bold comments despite endless quantified information being available to anyone who cares to look?
Why all the confrontation and rumor mongering when 20 mins of research can get a guy up to speed?
Interesting.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-20-2019, 02:37 PM
A cure might just be around the corner...

Not sure if this link will work?
You might have to belong to FB

https://www.facebook.com/497624440269298/posts/2260399187325139?sfns=mo

Pemby_mess
02-20-2019, 03:00 PM
A cure might just be around the corner...

Not sure if this link will work?
You might have to belong to FB

https://www.facebook.com/497624440269298/posts/2260399187325139?sfns=mo

wow, that sounds like it could be potentially very good news.

Pemby_mess
02-20-2019, 03:02 PM
thanks Bugle for the link to the alternate theory on the cause of CWD....it also made me think of the two researchers on H pylori down under and how even to this day on some scientific issues "99% consensus" can still turn out to be 99% wrong...

prion diseases have never been very well understood. Certainly no evidence based concensus on the matter.

Bugle M In
02-20-2019, 03:30 PM
prion diseases have never been very well understood. Certainly no evidence based concensus on the matter.

Possibly because now they might be considering it is only a "marker".
At least for CWD.

Pemby_mess
02-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Well in that press release, there was a suggestion that other prions such as scrapie, and maybe even things like ALS were symptoms of the same bacteria. It never really made sense to me that a pathogen can form and multiply without any DNA or RNA; so it's not a surprise to me that it is a result of bacterium.

Springer
02-20-2019, 07:38 PM
We have been dealing with this Issue of CWD for many years in Alberta . Thank Goodness there is a testing program offered to us here , even if it takes months to get results . I have noticed a pile of posts and social media posts about all the positive's this year especially in Mule Deer. Steves Deer for example looked very healthy but carrying the disease, even the organs looked fine. I submitted my head this year even though it was a Non Mandatory testing area but i don't want to take any chances on it. I think the more that get submitted from the Non Mandatory areas is better so we can get more of a real grasp how far west it has spread.

The was something in the posts a few pages back about Saskatchewan having less reported CWD reports. My Take on it is because there is no longer any mandatory testing in Saskatchewan.
SSS put up a post from FB about a Possible cure in the future and i got real excited about that until i talked to a Biologist in a Hot CWD zone that says the video is older and its been a long time they have been working on this cure so nothing for sure on it.
One can only hope though.....
Were all in this together whether were from the same province or not and we need to work together on submitting for testing. The ones Chucking Shit at each other on this post sure don't help the cause..
No matter how many times it is said to stick together as hunters it keeps happening..Wish there was a cure for it as well, and there could be, but its up to those negative ones to keep the negative comments to themselves.
theres tons of facts about CWD on the Web if you want to take the time to research it. Alberta hunting regs has a lot of info as well.

I have said it before and i will say it again. There should be more accessible dumpsters or whatever supplied to Hunters in Alberta to dispose of brain stem and vertebrae and bones because you see way to many carcasses chucked in ditches and field edges when hunters travel from Hot CWD zones into other areas of Alberta.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info Phil.

Ourea
02-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Wonder how RobU's article is coming along and where it will be published?

wideopenthrottle
02-25-2019, 12:32 PM

https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/12/17/another-school-of-thought-about-what-causes-chronic-wasting-disease-in-deer/

i was referring to the statement in the linked story about 1/4 way down ...

Today, 99 percent of scientists believe prions cause CWD. That’s why we haven’t heard about the alternate theory until now. And maybe they are right, I can’t say. But you should know that there is another school of thought about what causes chronic wasting disease in deer.

I was also referring the stomach ulcer researchers from Australia (and i am sure you are familiar with that story as well) where they were fighting the 99% consensus. probably more than 99 as we all learned in school that stomach ulcers were from stress -certainly not bacteria!...

Pemby_mess
02-26-2019, 09:25 AM

i was referring to the statement in the linked story about 1/4 way down ...

Today, 99 percent of scientists believe prions cause CWD. That’s why we haven’t heard about the alternate theory until now. And maybe they are right, I can’t say. But you should know that there is another school of thought about what causes chronic wasting disease in deer.

I was also referring the stomach ulcer researchers from Australia (and i am sure you are familiar with that story as well) where they were fighting the 99% consensus. probably more than 99 as we all learned in school that stomach ulcers were from stress -certainly not bacteria!...

I see what you're saying, I do. But with the example in ulcers, stress is likely still a corellary factor; and does still offer some explanatory importance; with or without the revised theory of h.pylori infection. Stress was at one time the best explanation for that particular phenomenon. There were questions that couldn't be explained by the dominate concensus or theory, that lead to further investigation, and ultimately toward a more useful explanatory mechanism.

Same with CWD. The latest addition to the theory makes a lot of sense, even under the assumption of CWD being a prion disease. In fact it seems like with more research, the entire way of looking at prions may have to be revised. That doesn't mean the "consensus" is wrong; it just means its incomplete, which any fully briefed Doctor or scientist would be most likely quite comfortable in explaining. They would all admit to there being far more unanswered scientific questions around the nature of prions as pathogens, than there are answers.

Research the into cause and effect of micro-organisms in our bodies and surrounding environments is still very young. It's a field full of modern discovery, that will throw a whole lot of conventional wisdom out the window.

boxhitch
02-28-2019, 11:43 PM
More news

"It is possible to eradicate chronic wasting disease — at least on some levels — in white-tailed deer. Bacteria, not prions, are present in all transmissible spongiform encephalopathy diseases. And, perhaps most shocking, up to 15 percent of all Alzheimer’s disease deaths might be misclassified cases of Creutzfeld-Jakob disease. Those are three bold statements made recently by disease researcher Dr. Frank O. Bastian, and he is standing by them.

The view that chronic wasting disease is not caused by a prion but by a spiroplasma bacterium has disrupted the deer world in recent weeks, but that doesn’t mean minds are ready to change.
For decades, research into the prion theory — that TSE diseases are caused by a “misfolded protein” — has been heavily funded, but has shown little results in terms of a cure or even the mitigation of CWD.

Enter Dr. Bastian. The researcher most known for his work at the Louisiana State University Ag (https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/deer-scouting/deer-behavior/controversial-research-bacteria-not-prions-cause-cwd) Center has been conducting research on a different track. He sees evidence that a bacterium is the culprit, and the prion is only a marker. In fact, he says the Spiroplasma bacteria is present in every case of a TSE disease, but the prion is not."

deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/bacteria-and-cwd-cure-dr-bastian-speaks

boxhitch
02-28-2019, 11:49 PM
Hmmmm MY Alberta mulie deer buck tested positive for CWD...conservation officers will deal with the meat tommorrow am.
Sruppthat sux
any get-a-deer-free card ) ?

.264winmag
03-01-2019, 06:13 AM
That’s too bad, seems like an awfully long way to go to throw the meat away and eat the antlers...

Bugle M In
03-01-2019, 10:16 AM
That’s too bad, seems like an awfully long way to go to throw the meat away and eat the antlers...

Yes, it is unfortunate.
Thankfully however, Alberta is taking the right steps by testing.
Unfortunately, it seems like in BC the testing is "random", not thorough.
But then again they haven't found an issue as of yet in BC.
Hopefully they are tracking where "positives" are found in Alberta.
Basically saying "I am hoping that they are having open dialogue between provinces and working together".
Hopefully not like our police forces, VPD and RCMP did, where they didn't share info to help each other out for so long.

northof49
03-01-2019, 10:23 AM
BC tends to think it can do things better....quite arrogant that way in my opinion. Always trying to create the better wheel at 10x the cost

IronNoggin
03-01-2019, 11:02 AM
... any get-a-deer-free card ) ?

Alberta discontinued the replacement tag program some years ago now.
Unfortunate, especially when it relates to a draw tag that took many many years to accumulate sufficient priority points to realize said draw.

Nog

Jordan f.
03-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Yes, it is unfortunate.
Thankfully however, Alberta is taking the right steps by testing.
Unfortunately, it seems like in BC the testing is "random", not thorough.
But then again they haven't found an issue as of yet in BC.
Hopefully they are tracking where "positives" are found in Alberta.
Basically saying "I am hoping that they are having open dialogue between provinces and working together".
Hopefully not like our police forces, VPD and RCMP did, where they didn't share info to help each other out for so long.

Tracking and mapping for the public. All info (and a map up to 2017) can be found here.

Unfortunately... It creeps west every year it seems

Bugle M In
03-07-2019, 04:49 PM
It's obvious CWD is a question of if it will reach BC.
It's just a question as to when!

Which brings up a question in regards to possible treatments and the researching of.
It's sounds as if the States are trying to work on it.
But, is any research being done in Canada, and more to the point, in BC, say at UBC?

I wonder if the Ministry/Government here in BC is also mismanaging another issue that is inevitable and will only
consider reacting once the problem exists here in BC?
I know they are trying to track it to some degree, but are they trying to work or provide funding here in BC to find
a treatment?

srupp
03-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Hmmm the system DID work for first Geoff..then for me.
We submitted samples seperatly and the system caught the diseased animals, both of them and notified us, and successfuly and correctly confiscated the animals.
I am completely satisfied and relieved .
First animal with CWD through the local system..it works and kept us safe.
Srupp

Jordan f.
03-07-2019, 06:05 PM
It's obvious CWD is a question of if it will reach BC.
It's just a question as to when!

Which brings up a question in regards to possible treatments and the researching of.
It's sounds as if the States are trying to work on it.
But, is any research being done in Canada, and more to the point, in BC, say at UBC?

U of A is doing CWD research

https://www.ualberta.ca/science/science-news/2018/december/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-infectivity